Author Topic: Repair costs...  (Read 1489 times)

Offline Gurnisson

• King
  • Renown: 1750
  • Infamy: 362
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
  • Game nicks: SeaRaider_Gurnisson
Re: Repair costs...
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2012, 06:42:09 am »
Also, if you wear <20k worth of gear (at level 30) as your main gear set, please tell me what you're using.  I'd wager most people in the upper 20's and 30's wear about the same amount of gear as me, if not more.

I use gear worth 15 375,- at level 30. I've got a K/D of 6 and get a lot of good multipliers. I make more than enough gold while still being effective. Back when I was a crossbowman I wore equipment worth roughly 40 000,- and I still made quite a bit of cash. You're right that you often have to rely on the team to get you multipliers, but you can often turn certain losses to wins/carry your team to a win by doing well. Staying on x5 for a few more rounds with a game changing performance is better than dropping from a good multiplier to x1 quite often. Also, doing well also gets you valour which is somewhat of a safety net when you're on an x5.

Nordic Fighter Helmet, Mail Shirt, Mail Mittens, Leather Boots, Pike, Flanged Mace. 4 slots, low cost, quite fast but still strong with a 21/18 build. Long Spear might be better than Pike though
I voted Gurnisson cause of his fucking bendy pike, I swear noone can roflcopter stab like he can.

Offline Brutal_KGB

• Peasant
  • Renown: 2
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2012, 06:48:50 am »
That's very well said, thank you.  I realize that both the bec and the crossbow are expensive, and are the reasons I am using such middle of the road armor in order to offset the cost.  According to everything I've read 50k was the break point over long periods, so I decided to stay under 40k to shorten the periods of loss.  The problem is that I lose gold every single time I equip all of my gear, and I'm well under 50k.  Maybe its bad luck, maybe those posts about 50k are wrong, but either way, I don't feel like its too much to ask to use this amount of gear without going broke.  I do spend a lot of time without the crossbow equipped, and normally do gain gold during those times, but that amount is more than offset by what I lose when I try to use both.

I see people playing all the time with a lot more, and sometimes a horse to boot.  I realize these people are probably bleeding gold and have lots to spare from playing for so long and selling looms, but come on..

There are enough things to discourage new players in this game already without having this on the list.

Offline Gurnisson

• King
  • Renown: 1750
  • Infamy: 362
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
  • Game nicks: SeaRaider_Gurnisson
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2012, 06:52:24 am »
You have low crossbow wpf so it will break quite a lot. You will probably gain gold quite steady without it
I voted Gurnisson cause of his fucking bendy pike, I swear noone can roflcopter stab like he can.

Offline Son Of Odin

• King
  • Renown: 1856
  • Infamy: 338
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Sky belongs to Asagods as long as the raven flies.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Son_Of_Odin
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2012, 06:59:54 am »
It's not all in the total cost of your gear on the website. As stated above your wpf has affect on which weapons you can use regularly. It's all about the set, and what costs what in it. The total amount can be rather high and you don't lose gold badly. You just have to try out different combinations and learn which thing causes you to go bankrupt. For me the breaking point is the cost difference between arabian and courser. It's not big in number 2k(?), and I tried taking off 2k from the other gear I use. Didn't work that way so whenever I use arabian warhorse, I have to use waaay cheaper gear in total cost than with courser.

Believe me today's peasants have it easy. You don't have to grind for a month to be able to participate :D
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

There is no sight in my third eye

Offline Miwiw

• King
  • Renown: 1267
  • Infamy: 525
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE
  • Game nicks: Miwiw
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2012, 02:12:22 pm »
There are enough things to discourage new players in this game already without having this on the list.

Sounds like a joke to everyone playing a bit longer... New players have it way too easy compared to the old times. You are just weak, that's it. I can understand those thoughts when being new, the gameplay is hard to adapt to during the first time, grinding might not be to most people's liking, the xp gaining looks a bit low as well at the first look.
But after time you are getting used to it. Upkeep is also too low imo, could 30-60% more if you ask me. Would be difficult with plate then, but plate and really heavy armor should really be rare anyway as well as heavy armoured horses.

Anyway, it is quite simple to save gold. There were lots of examples already mentioned in the thread. I once played a gen with a full plate set up and 2h, which made the total upkeep being at 4,395 gold and worth 62,832 gold of gear (Plate Mittens, Gothic Plate, Sallet with Visor and Coif, German Greatsword and Cased Greaves). I finished the gen with a plus of around 10,000 gold. Of course I paid quite often and had also some x5 streaks, but after all I guess I had usually around x2 all the time.
I wouldnt do this again as I currently dont have the gold for that, or the patience to be that slow so I would indeed go with a less heavy armor, Sarranid Guard Armor at max considering the weight and upkeep.

Bec is a nice weapon as it is easy to spam and get some kills with that high pierce damage. There are many weapons doing as much as damage as well for really low upkeep. Take for example the Military Fork, its upkeep is really low. Still it does 28 pierce damage with the thrust. Of course it also only has 2 attack directions but it is still a strong weapon. Same for the battle fork with just a bit more upkeep but also 32 pierce damage.
Other Example: The Long Axe, still 115 Length, but 42 Cut Damage and 485 gold upkeep, thats nearly 300 less than the Bec and it is still a powerful weapon, though not used that often as most people dont really care about the upkeep and rather take some dmg more instead.

Regarding the armor it is also easy to save some gold. Your armor set-up is a good middle way to go, I would use that gear from level 24/25 upwards. Before that you can save a lot of gold, example: Tribal Warrior Outfit, Rus Cavalry Boots, Mail Mittens and some 30+ Armor Helmet. That is a decent setup, you dont die 1hit and you save gold. The little things change a lot. :)
Miwiw_HRE - Two Handed
Trade with me

Offline Jarlek

• King
  • Renown: 1173
  • Infamy: 307
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The walking wiki
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarlek_The_Blue, Jarla, Jarlen, Jarler, Jarlec, Jarled OH GOD ALL THESE ALTS
  • IRC nick: Jarlek
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2012, 02:45:36 pm »
+1
That's very well said, thank you.  I realize that both the bec and the crossbow are expensive, and are the reasons I am using such middle of the road armor in order to offset the cost.  According to everything I've read 50k was the break point over long periods, so I decided to stay under 40k to shorten the periods of loss.  The problem is that I lose gold every single time I equip all of my gear, and I'm well under 50k.  Maybe its bad luck, maybe those posts about 50k are wrong, but either way, I don't feel like its too much to ask to use this amount of gear without going broke.  I do spend a lot of time without the crossbow equipped, and normally do gain gold during those times, but that amount is more than offset by what I lose when I try to use both.

I see people playing all the time with a lot more, and sometimes a horse to boot.  I realize these people are probably bleeding gold and have lots to spare from playing for so long and selling looms, but come on..

Here's the problem. How to make it easier for new players without making it a) too easy/unfair, b) abusable and c) making them still wanting to play?

We could for example just give every new player 9 loom points and 1 million gold to "make up" for the head start everyone else has. But would that really be fair towards all those that had to play so much to get their stuff? And what would stop people from buying secondary CD-keys, making a new dude, then transfering all to their main? And having to work to get your stuff is part of why this mod is so great. It's not native where you just take what you want in round one.

Yeah, the above suggestion is an exaggeration. But seriously, what DO you suggest they should do to make the beginning easier for new players? It's already way easier than it was before (sorry for repeating this), with generally higher gold income and leveling, upkeep to stop the "oldies" from using their best gear all the time and no upkeep for new characters.

If you have any suggestions in how to make it easier for new characters, feel free to come with them. Reducing upkeep will NOT help them out.
This game isn't about being skillful as much as its about saying things in general chat that enrage people who then go to murder you but in their rage they make dumb mistakes which gets them killed.
In memory of Jarlek_zeh_Blue, ruler of Ilvia

Offline JennaHaze

• Count
  • Renown: 267
  • Infamy: 147
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: 2Bach
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2012, 05:37:12 pm »
Wear nomad robe+khergit leather boots+rabati+mail gauntlets= good protection+little amount of repair

Offline Son Of Odin

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2012, 11:26:17 am »
I almost feel like this now:

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2012, 11:33:54 am »
A repair cost thread... that time of the month already?

Offline Son Of Odin

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2012, 11:38:41 am »
A repair cost thread... that time of the month already?
Maybe it's steam sale or something...