Poll

Do you want open flat maps on EU1?

Yes
33 (41.8%)
No
46 (58.2%)

Total Members Voted: 79

Author Topic: Open flat maps on EU1 for increased teamplay and use of tactics  (Read 4566 times)

Offline Adamar

• He who doesn't want to be labelled
  • Earl
  • Renown: 422
  • Infamy: 319
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: Open flat maps on EU1 for increased teamplay and use of tactics
« Reply #60 on: July 07, 2012, 10:59:16 pm »
Not really, the vast majority of native servers are filled to the brim with noobs. There is ONE battle server where pro's play (IG_battle server) and one duel server (Nditions), and that's it. Like I said, those two combined average at best 20-40 people. It's like some people don't really understand what an "average" means.

Before my clan died and I left native for good, there where some people playing on ig battlegrounds and stuff, but the majority of the players where more interested in training with their clans and arranging weekly battles.

Offline justme

• Count
  • Renown: 188
  • Infamy: 45
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Bandits
  • Game nicks: Bandit_Elsupreme
« Reply #61 on: July 07, 2012, 11:04:23 pm »
i love teamplay, but that always end like 2 side camping for 3 min before attacking.. i dont see teamplay in that

Offline Bryggan

• Marshall
  • Renown: 727
  • Infamy: 207
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: 13 Knights, HCE
  • Game nicks: Jerk, Asshole, Dumbass, etc.
« Reply #62 on: July 07, 2012, 11:05:05 pm »
As shielder/thrower I wouldn't mind open flat maps if there was better communication between infantry.  I usually try protect the rear from cav, but when you got four or five horses buzzing around it's kind of hard to notice that the main infantry blob has advanced and suddenly you're alone in the middle of the field, and friendly cav just can't save you.  So either the entire blob camps, which makes everything depend on the archers who will pick off the 2handers and polearms, or just destroy shields, which is very boring for infantry, or else we try advance which is damned hard to do cohesively.

Plus there's nowhere to advance to exactly.  Open plains might be ok if the flags spawned in the first 30 seconds as the two infantry blobs would know where everyone is going and they will end up clashing, while cav would just be support trying to distract range and polearms from the real fight.  Or maybe add another skill- tactics.  Only people with a certain level of tactics can give orders, instead of the usual spamming we hear all round long.

Offline Zlisch_The_Butcher

• King
  • Renown: 1272
  • Infamy: 971
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Faction: Frisian Church of Mork The Goat God
  • Game nicks: Zlisch
  • IRC nick: IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #63 on: July 07, 2012, 11:38:53 pm »
Just sayin', on all my inf alts (I got like 10 alts), even my 1hs, It's never open plane maps that piss me off, I always like 'em, it's ALWAYS shitty maps like mustikkis boat/tavern map, Mustikki's town maps, stuff like that.
1H stab is the fastest, strongest and longest 1H animation. There's no reason NOT to use it in all instances. I don't know if it's OP, but it's boring. 1H used to be fun because you had a fast (left), long (right) and the most devastating attack (stab) and had to choose the best attack for each occasion.

Offline Gurnisson

• King
  • Renown: 1750
  • Infamy: 362
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
  • Game nicks: SeaRaider_Gurnisson
« Reply #64 on: July 08, 2012, 06:51:14 am »
+2
Just sayin', on all my inf alts (I got like 10 alts), even my 1hs, It's never open plane maps that piss me off, I always like 'em, it's ALWAYS shitty maps like mustikkis boat/tavern map, Mustikki's town maps, stuff like that.

At least there's something happening on those maps. It's not like you're roleplaying Snorelax for the first 3 minutes of every round like on plains (as infantry)
I voted Gurnisson cause of his fucking bendy pike, I swear noone can roflcopter stab like he can.

Offline Riddaren

• Duke
  • Renown: 601
  • Infamy: 298
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Burg Krems
  • Game nicks: Riddaren, Matthaus
« Reply #65 on: July 08, 2012, 12:37:38 pm »
Yep, thats what I at least would state.
No need for a big cav rape, cav`s OP as it is, dun need to be buffed by map rotation.

Then all open flat village maps should be removed as well. Then we can have mountain maps and tavern maps only.

Offline sF_Guardian

• Marshall
  • Renown: 738
  • Infamy: 254
  • cRPG Player
  • In honour of Pepe the kindest baguette
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Sad Hobo Guild, Burg Krems
  • Game nicks: Peso, Dondergod, Hobo_loves_Pepe, Ras_Putin_the_stronk, FrenchBow_le_tarlouze, Forrest_Trump...
  • IRC nick: Peso
« Reply #66 on: July 08, 2012, 12:41:19 pm »
Then all open flat village maps should be removed as well. Then we can have mountain maps and tavern maps only.

Balance is fine as it is right now, I just see no reason to change it...
Wouldnt mind if one of the flat village maps would replaced by a field map, just dont want it to be too much....
I don't want to give a feedback to molly neither i want to ban him,I wanted to give advise high authorities to take his admin rights.Panos you monkey wrench where would u put this topic enlighten me you cancer fuck.

Offline Renegat

• Baron
  • Renown: 105
  • Infamy: 40
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 08, 2012, 01:21:43 pm »
+3
Ok, let's take an exemple.
Yersteday (i think it was at 6 pm) we had an open flat map, (don't know if you were there). Most of gk were there, so they can speak about it too. I won't give any argument, just describe what happened.

First round : Quite balanced, no "teamplay" as you call it (no shieldwall etc) both team were cavraped.

Second, third, forth and last round : The same team won 4 times ; of course, it was the GK team with chagan, lungy and most cav (i was in the other one) ; the third round i tried to make the team camp near a very big tree (it was a realy open flat map, so nowhere to hide or protect against cav), a part followed me and camped it, the other part just got killed before reaching the tree. Once we reached it, we made a shieldwall, composed of 4 shielders (including me) (others were already dead). We died pretty fast, nothing to do when 7 or 8 cav charge you at the same time (we were only 10-15 camping this tree and we had only 3 or 4 poeple (including me) who had relevant weapon to defend against cav).

Forth round : This time most of the team managed to reach the tree, we hold pretty well, when we lost, there was only 10-15 poeple alive in the other team (which was a great thing, compared to other rounds).

Last round : We just wanted a mapchange, some camped the tree, some charged, we lost before reaching the 5th minute (so in less than 2 minutes).

Result : 4-1 (our only win was the first round, when no bannerbalance and number of cav in each team was pretty equal)

Riddaren, i also like random flat map as an infantry, but there is too many cav currently to make it fun for infantry, as i described it, we can't even do a shieldwall (which is totally useless anyway, cause shieldwall are relevant when you defend against rangespam, not against cavspam).

What i told here was just facts, GKs, who were here, can only approve what i just said.
Oh, and to the idiot who said that he wants an open flat map to have proper fight with ennemie lancers : Stop being such an hypocrite, you perfectly know that lancers are avoiding each others at the begginig of a round and mainly aim at inf, who are less risky target.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2012, 01:57:31 pm by Renegat »

Offline _Tak_

• Earl
  • Renown: 459
  • Infamy: 195
  • cRPG Player
  • Retired Dev of FI2
    • View Profile
    • mod :D
  • Game nicks: LC
« Reply #68 on: July 08, 2012, 01:25:03 pm »
you perfectly know that lancers are avoiding each others at the begginig of a round and only aim at inf, who are less risky target.

Was there, I approve, that map is bugged, the river especially, when you ride across the river your character is like flying above the river, don't know why it happen, many lancers do avoid Cav and charge into infantry yes (

ive said it many times now, but people just lack the imagination to understand it, the amount of cav now is because the change of the lance angle,

new lance angle made lancers much less effective at killing other cav, as now you need to have your enemy in front of you to kill, before good lancer could take out 5 other cav in quick fight if they were better than them

when i made khans extravaganza cav tourney, it hit me that more than 90% of cav couldnt imagine a fight without dehorsing other player, before lance angle change aiming for the rider was the thing to do

so now imagine that in the battle you try and have a cav fight, which probably will get you dehorsed, how many people will keep trying cav fight before they realise going for infantry is much better ? sure cav fights still happen, but its not what it used to be, the cav fights for lancers were much more exciting and more people wanted to go for them than now, and we did. you had to "earn" your right to be riding a horse with so many dedicated anti-cav cav

every map started with big cav clash and only the survivors of that clash went for the infantry, now i see many cav going for infantry rather than cav and im not saint here, if i see 5 cav i know i cant take them all out with current mechanics, you can kill one and than get 4 of them on your back and be dehorsed or killed

the irony is that the change came from infantry, and without them realising it, it turned on them big
« Last Edit: July 08, 2012, 01:45:23 pm by AlexTheDragon »

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 08, 2012, 01:53:03 pm »
+2
Random plains maps mostly end up in 'I camp my hill you camp yours' rounds. They should not be randomly generated but just created and added. I'm too lazy to make maps, but just open maps would be great, it forces tactics.

How I'd wish battles were the same as they were sometimes back in 2010, two huge shieldwalls skirmishing, waiting for a set time to mass charge. Awesome stuff.

Offline karasu

• King
  • Renown: 1751
  • Infamy: 316
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • D̶͎̳͒́͗͋ẹ͕̲̠̳̄̃͂ͤ͑ͮṃ̮͎̗̦̏̿͊ͤi̥̪̼͕ͦ̀̊̐ȗ̘rͩ͋̅̊gͭ̿̋
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 08, 2012, 02:25:49 pm »
+1
   Open flat maps don't increase teamplay and tactics.

Teams simply cluster each other into a mosh pit desperately trying to avoid getting hit by ranged volleys, waiting for that "cav rape" from every direction, while watching the few solo heroes getting picked 1 by 1 by the enemy ranged/cav.

This is in no way team play + tactics.

Offline Riddaren

• Duke
  • Renown: 601
  • Infamy: 298
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Burg Krems
  • Game nicks: Riddaren, Matthaus
« Reply #71 on: July 08, 2012, 02:31:29 pm »
   Open flat maps don't increase teamplay and tactics.

Teams simply cluster each other into a mosh pit desperately trying to avoid getting hit by ranged volleys, waiting for that "cav rape" from every direction, while watching the few solo heroes getting picked 1 by 1 by the enemy ranged/cav.

This is in no way team play + tactics.

Maybe you are right. My thought was that flat open maps would help to improve the skill of people by making it more easy for them to stick with the team as they can see all teamates and enemies.
Also, the game speed seems slower if you can see far and doesn't get an enemy in front of you all of a sudden like on a village map.

Offline Chagan_Arslan

• Earl
  • Renown: 372
  • Infamy: 155
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans
  • Game nicks: GK_Chagan_Arslan
« Reply #72 on: July 08, 2012, 03:06:03 pm »
ill only add what i think is important thing that people miss out

when there are 3 village maps in a row where people go rambo etc. and after those you put open field map, the players brain is not switching from the gameplay of village map to the open map instantly, it takes couple of rounds for them to accommodate,  the most teamplay you will see will be toward the end of the map, and than its back to the village maps

it works just like when you are in the loosing team in some village map, and a small group of players find some place and camp it, all the dead players see them, that they are doing half decent by doing this, next round that place will get more players

Ok, let's take an exemple.
Yersteday (i think it was at 6 pm) we had an open flat map, (don't know if you were there). Most of gk were there, so they can speak about it too. I won't give any argument, just describe what happened.

ok lets stop here, your being biased already, at that time during that day our team were winning most of the rounds on the maps, so for you to focus on that map in this context i think it makes no sense

when byzantium have good squad on eu1 they are dominating no matter what map, would it make sense for me to claim that inf is op on village maps ? your team on that open map had i think equal number of cav to us, maybe you didnt notice all the dying cav early dunno

Offline Zlisch_The_Butcher

• King
  • Renown: 1272
  • Infamy: 971
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Faction: Frisian Church of Mork The Goat God
  • Game nicks: Zlisch
  • IRC nick: IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #73 on: July 08, 2012, 03:14:28 pm »
+1
At least there's something happening on those maps. It's not like you're roleplaying Snorelax for the first 3 minutes of every round like on plains (as infantry)
When you say something happening then you mean the first round on the tavern map all cav insta charge and couch and couch even normal spawners who didn't even have to download the map, and all ranged just fire at the spawn points and the next round cav is 100% unplayable with half the map even being unreachable from horseback?

And that boat map sucks as well, only fun on melee only server when you camp the sail/chain.
1H stab is the fastest, strongest and longest 1H animation. There's no reason NOT to use it in all instances. I don't know if it's OP, but it's boring. 1H used to be fun because you had a fast (left), long (right) and the most devastating attack (stab) and had to choose the best attack for each occasion.

Offline Tzar

• Marshall
  • Renown: 996
  • Infamy: 564
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Byzantium
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_TzarOfRushYa
  • IRC nick: TZAR
« Reply #74 on: July 08, 2012, 03:16:43 pm »
Funny how come all the cav players are so worried about how inf play an want to encourage so much team play an stuff..... it not because their 4 legged noob carriers would have a field day uhhh humm... lmao give it a rest all ready...
I've never played a server where people split up as much or as often as on EU1.  No wonder range is having a field day.