Author Topic: Rome II General Info Thread  (Read 126764 times)

Offline Ninja_Khorin

• King
  • Renown: 1067
  • Infamy: 90
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Zen
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Clan Ninja
  • Game nicks: Khorin/Keyoke/Lujan
  • IRC nick: Khorin
Re: Rome II General Info Thread
« Reply #1260 on: September 10, 2013, 06:07:48 pm »
Eh, TWC used to hold up well, but the recent-ish upgrade to a new version of the forum software has been causing issues for them.

Offline Banok

• Duke
  • Renown: 521
  • Infamy: 215
    • View Profile
« Reply #1261 on: September 10, 2013, 06:27:01 pm »
True, they are "bare-bones" but, with the ability to unlock them, people can give them actual rosters and stuff. Making them unique and fun. Quite neat, actually.

yep I read in that thread someone is already making a version with full bonuses and descriptions. I tried it out and its quite pointless for now tho, did see some bonuses already 10% morale in desert ;)

Eh, TWC used to hold up well, but the recent-ish upgrade to a new version of the forum software has been causing issues for them.

even if they could handle traffic its awful. released, WIP and requested mods all in the same area. its a mess, sites like modnexus are miles better than a forum can ever be anyway with votes and such.

Offline Molly

• King
  • Renown: 1860
  • Infamy: 693
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • For the glorious Khorin...
  • Game nicks: Molly
« Reply #1262 on: September 10, 2013, 07:03:35 pm »
[...]
even if they could handle traffic its awful. released, WIP and requested mods all in the same area. its a mess, sites like modnexus are miles better than a forum can ever be anyway with votes and such.
http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?619112-TWR2-Index-of-Released-Mods-%28Last-Update-10-Sep-2013%29
[...]
One thread - all mods.
When west germany annexed east germany, nobody moved a finger too.

Offline Franke

• Earl
  • Renown: 384
  • Infamy: 23
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE
  • Game nicks: Franke_HRE and Frankes_STF_HRE
« Reply #1263 on: September 11, 2013, 12:19:43 am »
I now also decided to let this one rest for a month or two. I tried out those performance improving measures Rogue linked somewhere above, but didn't notice any improvements. Performance is not really fluid and I encounter between 1 and 3 second-long lags each turn. (Manual) naval warfare is completely useless, I totally have no clue if/how that policy thing is effecting the course of my campaign, and turn end waiting time is completely killing what is left of my motivation to give this game "a chance".

Additionally something that nobody mentioned so far: Sometimes in battle I have to right-click an enemy unit up to five times to actually issue that attack command to my guys...

Guess I'll spend a lot of time with EU 4 the next weeks...

Quote from: Tindel
In teamspeak i like to hear all of your opinions on; beer and alcohol, chocolate chip cookies, social problems and their solutions, massmurderers, why ranged should burn in hell, hating on new maps, hating on old maps.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Lt_Anders

• King
  • Renown: 1049
  • Infamy: 651
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Man, I still play this shit?
    • View Profile
    • Drowtales
  • Faction: Astralis
  • Game nicks: Anders_Astralis
« Reply #1264 on: September 11, 2013, 01:37:38 am »
Officially Shelved now. Just used some mods and I had like SHIT FPS.

Apparently, the longer a battle goes on, the worse the FPS gets...

Is it sad, that I had to actually increase difficulty to feel like I'm playing the game?

Offline Leesin

• King
  • Renown: 1009
  • Infamy: 230
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Leesin
« Reply #1265 on: September 12, 2013, 08:52:26 am »
After some patching and tweaking over the past days my game is running a lot better, also making the game run on high priority has helped. Also using the Radious mods ( apart from the campaign mod as it increases army limits and i enjoy the vanilla lack of army spam ) and the game is a lot better to play,  AI is making armies with more melee units and using them more aggressively, battles also lasting longer, with units seeming to hold a line better.

Offline Banok

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #1266 on: September 12, 2013, 01:09:18 pm »
I made a video

Offline Butan

• King
  • Renown: 1713
  • Infamy: 214
  • Best tincan EU
    • View Profile
« Reply #1267 on: September 12, 2013, 03:51:54 pm »
I though it was going to be a "zomg elephants too stronk" but it was a nice balanced fight and proper killing/dying  :)

Offline Bulzur

• Earl
  • Renown: 465
  • Infamy: 102
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild.
  • Game nicks: Guard_Bulzur
« Reply #1268 on: September 12, 2013, 10:39:29 pm »
I though it was going to be a "zomg elephants too stronk" but it was a nice balanced fight and proper killing/dying  :)

The elephants manage to charge and rout the first infantry unit WITHOUT taking any losses. Though there's a good/great number of projectiles getting to them (in their front). As it should be. Their strength reside in the "terrifying creatures" too. Making them charge alone is obviously not the best move.

If their back is turned towards the ennemy, then they do take more damage, wich is also pretty balanced/normal.

I still believe it's good units, though thoses Hellenic Heavy Cavalry really did well there.
[14:36] <@chadz> when you login there is a message "your life as horse archer was too depressing for you. you decided to commit suicide. please create a new char"
[19:32] <@chadz> if(dave_ukr_is_in_server) then rain_chance = 98%;

Offline Banok

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #1269 on: September 13, 2013, 01:22:35 am »
I wasnt trying to play to win at all just showing what they looked like and how beefy they there ;) was kind of disapointed the last ramping one didn't live to kill my own unit.

Elephants have very large health pool. so you will find they appear invincible then suddenly the whole unit will die. the best way to use elephants is to send them in until 1 or 2 die pull them out completely until next battle once they are replenished. I don't think they make very effective range vs range units since they only fire a few projectiles, and are a massive target.

I imagine seleucids will be rebalanced for the actually dlc cause atm they have no enemies, tons of resources/territories, a bunch of satrapies, and maybe the best unit roster.

Offline Tovi

• Earl
  • Renown: 387
  • Infamy: 251
    • View Profile
  • Faction: OdE
  • Game nicks: KrisTovi
« Reply #1270 on: September 13, 2013, 09:27:01 am »
They are good at flanking an entire enemy line. (special multiplayer strategy ! )

Offline Tibe

• King
  • Renown: 1335
  • Infamy: 287
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #1271 on: September 13, 2013, 02:23:23 pm »
+2
Personally im quite pissed off. I already restarted the campaign 2 times already with different difficultysettings and in both cases the Ai didnt put up a fight even for a single battle. The only time I got even briefly scared was when my platoons where even more then halfed due to the plauge. But even then there was no pressure, cause the enemies armies casualtyrate due to plague was also high. And my platoon consisted out of very high level spartan infantry units, while they had a few militaunits. So im gonna have to restart the 3rd time.

Im really not the kind of player that likes loosing and heavy difficultylevel, like general X-complayers. I always like to win in SP, but in this case, its too ridiculous even for my taste.

Offline Butan

• King
  • Renown: 1713
  • Infamy: 214
  • Best tincan EU
    • View Profile
« Reply #1272 on: September 13, 2013, 04:12:58 pm »
Personally im quite pissed off. I already restarted the campaign 2 times already with different difficultysettings and in both cases the Ai didnt put up a fight even for a single battle. The only time I got even briefly scared was when my platoons where even more then halfed due to the plauge. But even then there was no pressure, cause the enemies armies casualtyrate due to plague was also high. And my platoon consisted out of very high level spartan infantry units, while they had a few militaunits. So im gonna have to restart the 3rd time.

Im really not the kind of player that likes loosing and heavy difficultylevel, like general X-complayers. I always like to win in SP, but in this case, its too ridiculous even for my taste.

Maybe im just the lucky guy but since release every battles I fought the AI used all its units at peak efficiency (minus those times where they tried to capture the flag running through my army, or when they fail at besieging).

Then what I agree with you is that an army with high tradition and high experience units, when preserved (then further enhanced) is able to roll on most AI armies that are of the same size : I very rarely encountered a AI army that had more than bronze chevron or a 3 star general. They die too much (both generals and units) to be able to muster epic ones.

To circumvent this problem I have to force myself to send my epic generals/armies into dangerous situations. When you have to replace you lost units with recruits, and a 6 star general with a 1 star one, it changes all.

When my overly experienced general dies, I'm sad about the lost traits and all, but I'm actually encouraged to continue the legacy of the army he led with a newly appointed general, because I know the battles ahead will be 100x tougher.

Offline Tibe

• King
  • Renown: 1335
  • Infamy: 287
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #1273 on: September 13, 2013, 05:05:09 pm »
(click to show/hide)

You really were lucky. I wish I had that much fun.  :( And yes, the army legacythingy is really cool.

Offline Banok

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #1274 on: September 13, 2013, 05:13:28 pm »
new beta patch 2.0 might make it a bit more challenging, looking forward to testing it out.

http://wiki.totalwar.com/w/Total_War_ROME_II:_Patch_2

which faction are you playing tho tiberiusX?