Author Topic: NA Server Tactics  (Read 7502 times)

Offline Slamz

• Earl
  • Renown: 386
  • Infamy: 112
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Norse Horde
  • Game nicks: NH_Slamz
Re: NA Server Tactics
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2012, 10:19:52 am »
+2
What's funny about Smoothrich's post is that most of the "top gun heroes" do exactly what he described, except they do it alone.  They used to do it a whole lot more when it guaranteed valor but they still do it plenty -- hide out in the back until most of their team is dead, then jump out and see how many wounded people they can surprise and finish off before finally being shot in the face.

Or you get cav heroes who, very first thing, ride to the other team's spawn to see what late spawning newbies they can kill.  They end up 24-4 and lose every round because all they do is kill 6 totally useless people and then die to the first competent player they attack.

Or you get horse crossbow trolls who basically just draw rounds out before blundering into some random newbie's outstretched sword.

I would take any 5 random mediocre players who are willing to work together before I'd take Smoothrich's "heroic newbie slayer Rambos" (and a new NA clan name is born in 3...2...)

But another interesting facet of NA is probably our admin selection.  What's the biggest EU troll clan?  Picture them.  Now picture half of them being your main server admins.  That's NA.  That's why NA is always overrun with trolls and douchebags.  Even when we post irrefutable evidence of them TK'ing, TW'ing or flat out cheating, their troll admin buddies are standing by to read their copy-pasted unban essay, faux tears in eyes, "10/10, best essay ever, would read again" and their little douchebag troll buddy is right back in the game again, trolling it up again.

It's probably a big part of why NA has a hard time retaining serious team players and why you don't see big team-play clans that last very long.  The troll atmosphere is too thick.  If you don't like delaying, slap fests and teamwounding, you "can't take a joke" and "take this game too serious".

So the serious players that would be a part of big teams and organized play go find a game with a community that isn't run by trolls.
Crush your enemies; see them driven before you; hear the lamentations of their women.
Norse Horde

Offline Para

• Count
  • Renown: 170
  • Infamy: 14
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: KUTT
  • Game nicks: Para_KUTT, Slut_KUTT, Upper_KUTT, Ballmeat_KUTT, Ballmeat_Sandwich
  • IRC nick: Para_
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2012, 10:30:29 am »
+5
I think your guys' problem is that you're playing battle. If you want to see tactics, come over to siege.

Just kidding, everyone just plays team deathmatch in siege.
Woozle wuzzle?

Offline FrugFrug

• Earl
  • Renown: 493
  • Infamy: 59
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: MB Mascot
  • Game nicks: FrugFrug Owl_Beard

Offline engurrand

• Psychopath
  • Earl
  • Renown: 359
  • Infamy: 101
  • cRPG Player
  • Trifecta
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Kingdom of Veluca
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2012, 10:44:45 am »
Hmm which would I rather take....
30 rambos...
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Or "pub tactics"

Truth 100%

Offline TurmoilTom

• King
  • Renown: 1089
  • Infamy: 166
  • cRPG Player
  • Doesn't really play that much anymore
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2012, 10:47:21 am »
+1
I think your guys' problem is that you're playing battle. If you want to see tactics, come over to siege.

Just kidding, everyone just plays team deathmatch in siege.

Except it's team deathmatch where one team has to spend a minute and a half getting to where the majority of the other team is each time they respawn.

Offline MrShine

• Ragdoll Basher
  • King
  • Renown: 1156
  • Infamy: 193
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Fear the stache
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: MrShine
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2012, 02:31:34 pm »
+2
In all honestly though I think there is a time and place for ramboing, just like there is a time & place to group up.

Running into their entire team alone is obviously suicide for pretty much everyone, but there are players skilled enough to have a good chance against 2 or 3 (or 4) other stragglers, something that is much easier to run into when 'ramboing'.

As a master kill-stealer I can say that being in 'the big group' has its advantages sometimes, but you also have less of an ability to contribute your full potential.  In smaller scale fights I have more room to maneuver w/ my 7 athletics, I have access to all my 4 attack locations (as opposed to mostly overheads & thrusts in a group) and I can in general use more of my 'tricks' that simply aren't available to you in a large close-knit group.

Basically my point is when you go with into a big group you have less of a chance to impact the battle through individual skill.   I personally prefer to find smaller scale (3v3, 5v5) conflicts on the battlefield and try to help turn those, because whenever you outnumber a side you can quickly overwhelm them w/o losing many casualties.  When it's too big though (30v30) it just becomes a cluster of chaos.
Holy crap I have a youtube gaming channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/MrShine12345

Offline Memento_Mori

• Count
  • Renown: 187
  • Infamy: 32
  • cRPG Player
  • I use these forums to hook up with hot ladies
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Memento_Mori, Sengo_Muramasa, Born_Of_Osiris,
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2012, 05:28:08 pm »
+4
If I want a multi I'll stick with my stupid blob to go kill the enemy blob and we can go blob a blob of blobs with our blobby blob-blob.

The hard truth.
(click to show/hide)

Offline Wraist

• Knight
  • Renown: 44
  • Infamy: 14
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2012, 05:30:42 pm »
+1
If I want a multi I'll stick with my stupid blob to go kill the enemy blob and we can go blob a blob of blobs with our blobby blob-blob.

The hard truth.
(click to show/hide)
^ I try to kill this fucker and other fun people =D

Offline Bryggan

• Marshall
  • Renown: 727
  • Infamy: 207
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: 13 Knights, HCE
  • Game nicks: Jerk, Asshole, Dumbass, etc.
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2012, 06:20:27 pm »
+1
The simplest tactic is have your melee fight their melee with your archers behind you.  Even if the arrows don't do much damage, they can make the spamming 2 hander you're facing miss a stroke and open him up for a killing hit.  And if cav stays close to infantry instead of finding some secluded field to fight it out they'll have a much better chance too.  As they're trying to watch out for polearms and other cav and throwers they're bound to run into a rock or tree and then the infantry can swarm them.  It seems even lancer cav only seem to get horse bumps when there's too many people around.

Offline Turkhammer

• Earl
  • Renown: 376
  • Infamy: 194
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2012, 06:30:41 pm »
+1
Every clan that has hard ons for "squad combat" and "organized play" has maps, some much more often then others, where they will pretty much refuse to help teammates in any capacity or engage in battle at all while jerking off to their eLiTe tAcTics in finding the worst place on the map to camp and doing nothing else hoping the enemy cav, ranged, and melee will somehow all disconnect at the same time to ensure a win, or something.

The clans that roll multis are usually a mix of classes (cav, ranged, etc) instead of some singular gimmick and fan out around the battlefield supporting pub and pro alike and just impacting the round in general.

When Fallen was a more active NA clan they were probably the worst at this shit that I ever saw, there'd be 10+ of them on at a time usually archers or str build shielders and they would spawn and turn around and find some hill and refuse to leave it, and being on their team almost guaranteed you would never get a multiplier.  Just awful to get stuck playing with clans like that sometimes.

In short, man the fuck up.  People hold W and start fucking up enemies immediately because it wins rounds, I'd rather have some 2hander hero with good battle awareness who weaves in and out of combat to get kills and support teammates aggressively then a half dozen turtle shielders or camping ranged who apply no pressure at all.

How about if the pubbers had held back and defended the hill with the clan instead of rushing off lemming like to their individual deaths?  It works both ways.

Offline Swaggart

• Earl
  • Renown: 481
  • Infamy: 92
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2012, 06:39:53 pm »
Because camping is boring and I'm not playing the game to be bored. I play games because I get bored, not to further compound the problem.

Like Memento said, it's just a game. Quit taking it so seriously. This is why I can't want for the multi system to go the way of the Dodo.

Offline Bryggan

• Marshall
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2012, 06:44:16 pm »
+3
After charging madly into battle and turning a corner and running into 12 enemies, I spent the remaining 4 minutes watching NH form up and steamroll everyone in their way.  Unfortunately they were quickly outnumbered once all the enemy had killed the early chargers and converged on them.  Needless to say, the next round I just followed their banners, assuming the whole team would too.  They didn't, and the NH tactics actually made it worse by dividing our team into two making us outnumbered each time we met the enemy.

This was unfortunate, but I think clans should realize pubbers are too stupid to follow good, sound tactics, and clans should alter their tactics accordingly, ie forget about creating the perfect formation first and try follow the mindless crowd and form up during the actual fighting.

Offline Swaggart

• Earl
  • Renown: 481
  • Infamy: 92
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2012, 06:52:21 pm »
+1
You call the pubbers stupid, yet knowing full well that your team will not listen to you (this is a public server after all), and continuing with your tactic that inevitably splits the team in half, is the actual stupidity. Just reeks of arrogance if you call others stupid simply because they won't listen to you, especially since no one has any legitimacy to be giving out orders anyway.

We all remember Spook Island. I don't remember anyone that didn't find him a total asshat.

Offline Bryggan

• Marshall
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2012, 07:31:21 pm »
+1
I am a pubber, and I was being stupid at first.  Also, I wasn't giving out orders, I just started following the NH clan which seemed like the obvious smart thing to do.  But they just moved too slowly for all the rambos out there, so we got divided in two and punished accordingly.  So I had no tactic, just a choice of dying immediately with the Rambos, or dying later with the NH.

So ease off on the hate.

Offline Tanken

• King
  • Renown: 1463
  • Infamy: 395
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Tanken
« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2012, 07:41:08 pm »
+10
I've just gotta go ahead and post here since myself and my clan are big advocates of "Tactics". And unfortunately Smoothrich, have you -ever- seen KUTT sitting at the Spawn, trying to organize our team to stay at spawn? Typically you see my clan charging head on into the action in battle, picking out keypoints to attack or calling out specific Rambos to take down. In Siege, we are constantly coordinating our team as to which checkpoints to take first, often times splitting the forces equally and helping new players understand how they can survive longer with teammates, and how their role can benefit the team even if their KD isn't.

There's a big difference between Clan Tactics and Ramboing, but to label every clan's tactics as "Camp spawn, derpa durp derp." is kinda silly. There are some clans out there that advocate for a more clan-driven game, and clans like NH and KUTT are some of the few that I ever see trying this.
Below is a Collection of Finalists in my Design my Avatar contest -- They all did Awesome!
Thanks to all of those who contributed.