Author Topic: Katana vs. other swords  (Read 6735 times)

Offline Paul

• Developer
  • Renown: 1879
  • Infamy: 442
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • ball bounce boss
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Urist
Re: Katana vs. other swords
« Reply #45 on: January 14, 2011, 01:59:49 am »
Coming next patch: We added an on_hit trigger that fires when someone got hit by a katana. The damage receiving agent will be cut into two regardless of the armor because it's well known that katana cut through everything at ease. Also, upblock or downblock with a katana defends against arrows, bolts and throwing weapons. Blocking to the sides will protect from getting overrun by a horse when katanaist turns in a way to bring his sword between himself and the beast. The horse will be split entirely during a successful block.

Offline RazorRamon

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 14, 2011, 02:22:42 am »
still underpowered, how will i kill archers if it cant shoot ki bolts?

Offline Diomedes

• Count
  • Renown: 200
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player
  • Cat
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Sootnik_Diomedes
« Reply #47 on: January 14, 2011, 02:35:37 am »
Most real ninja weren't be able to afford a Katana.  If this is implemented I vote the price goes up at least 2k.

Offline Shigeru

• Peasant
  • Renown: 4
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
  • Saminjatan
    • View Profile
  • Faction: None
  • Game nicks: Ronin_Shigeru
« Reply #48 on: January 14, 2011, 03:17:12 am »
I think the Katana needs a special animation that decapitates your enemies on a killing blow.

Also, you should be able to throw it like a throwing lance.  8-)

Offline Vexus

• Count
  • Renown: 198
  • Infamy: 41
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Deus_Mortis
« Reply #49 on: January 14, 2011, 03:23:47 am »
okay, katana back to 101 then.

bastard sword price to 3k.

everyone happy? Y/N?

I wouldn't mind that honestly bastard sword is too cheap as is.

Offline zagibu

• cRPG President
  • King
  • Renown: 1436
  • Infamy: 228
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 14, 2011, 05:38:28 pm »
still underpowered, how will i kill archers if it cant shoot ki bolts?

Maybe instead of defending against arrows only, an upblock should reflect them back on the archer?

What really has to be done, though is that when blocked by or blocking a katana, every other weapon breaks.

Also, if you jump and overhead slash the ground, a forcewave should form and destroy everything in it's path from the ninja to the map border, 6 feet wide.

And lastly, if you hold right or left slash and jump, you will continue to gain upward and forward thrust, until you let go of the swing. And of course, a ninja doesn't take fall damage, they know how to roll off.

Next on schedule: the snowflake shotgun.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2011, 05:46:02 pm by zagibu »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 Why am I beswung by sharpe and pointed utensyls?

Offline Tai Feng

• Noble
  • Renown: 14
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 15, 2011, 02:27:25 pm »
It's too fast.
Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.

Imperial army: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4muBipy9-Q

Offline Ninja_Totoro

• Peasant
  • Renown: 3
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 15, 2011, 02:29:07 pm »

Offline bruce

• Count
  • Renown: 262
  • Infamy: 61
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: the Freak Army of the Gnjus / Saracens
  • Game nicks: Saracen_el_Brus
« Reply #53 on: January 15, 2011, 05:16:13 pm »
It's too slow

When I attack someone and they block, they have a chance of counterattacking, ffs, boost katana speed!
Best ban reason ever:
Quote from: Wookimonsta
I checked, the only Vagabond I found was Wolves_Vagabond_TheCruel, that guy is now unbanned. Ban reason was: "calling Zotte a cockswoggler".

Offline Michael

• Don't take me seriously
  • Baron
  • Renown: 118
  • Infamy: 559
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 16, 2011, 02:40:54 am »
Also, his signature doesnt fit. If he could block, he didnt need insane speed.

However, if we want to be fair, the katanas price is either too high or those of other swords is too low.

Its not as insane as with horses, Palfrey for about 8.000 or something more effective than heavy plated charger for almost 100.000 gold, but still its wrong.

The Longsword is equal. Me personally I like it more because the Katana is only good for left-right-left spam, the thrust is simply too weak to do some serious damage against an armored opponent and since upkeep costs for infantry is no problem everyone can wear decent armor all the time.

On the other hand, you Ninjas should have more than enough money, so same, where actually is the problem? You make more gold every map............

Offline Thomek

• El Director
  • OKAM Developer
  • Renown: 1372
  • Infamy: 481
    • View Profile
    • Ninja Guide Wiki
  • Faction: Ninja_
  • Game nicks: Ninja_Thomek
« Reply #55 on: January 16, 2011, 06:33:00 am »
True.. I don't really care about the price. If it cost 30k Gold, I could still go a long time with my 260k bank account.

And btw.. Katana is NOT OP. Ninjas use it purely for style reason, and we build our characters around it. (And discuss efficiency and optimize our builds in our secret ninja-forums, as well as discussing other secret matters.)

I would seriously take a bastard sword over the katana if I didn't care about style, not talking about heavy bastard or longsword. Hell a german, or almost any of the high end swords would be the preferred sword if I would choose for efficiency over style. (Like 90% of cRPG players do.)

I think people rage over katanas, because of the Ninjas that build themselves around it, that we sneak around and have a different backstabbing playstyle, that we have different builds, that we develop different "style of fighting" because of the short range. Not to mention that we are overall above average players, skill-wise.

Give a katana to a noob with a fail-build, and he would be much deader than a shielder or a heavy polearm spammer noob with a fail build.

Yes it is the fastest 2hander by 2 points, add to that low strength AGI builds + low armor, you have a speedfreak made of paper. The offensive power is great, but you have to choose your battles carefully, evade projectiles, block or evade almost every hit etc.. It enables us to be places we shouldn't be, faster than we should be, run away from all other infantry, catch all archers, and do some cool moves. Our build enables us to have a good chance in almost all 1vs1 situations except with horse archers.

1 mistake and we are dead however, but that's what we live by and accept. It teaches us to play smarter. Pushes us to become better.

Reason we do it is because it's fun for us. More fun than being a tank in the inhumanly intense clusterfucks, a slow ass shielder, a relaxed archer in the distance or last but not least, the prime backstabbers in cRPG: Cavalry.

Anyway.. look at katana players. 90% of them suck, and die quickly. Then give it to a good player like Khorin or Phyrex or 22nd Bear, and they can pick apart half the enemy team, like they would with any sword, or any weapon.

Like oberyn with his lance on a horse, or lance without a horse, or Tai Feng in peasant outfit and military fork.

That Thomeck-delay-kicking bussiness is like that asshole-retard dude that fucks your sister sometimes.

Offline Mustang_Sweets

• Peasant
  • Renown: 2
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
  • Avid rum drinker.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Free Companies of Caldaria (Bridge Burners)
  • Game nicks: Stang_the_Swilling
« Reply #56 on: February 03, 2011, 09:41:37 pm »
Coming next patch: We added an on_hit trigger that fires when someone got hit by a katana. The damage receiving agent will be cut into two regardless of the armor because it's well known that katana cut through everything at ease. Also, upblock or downblock with a katana defends against arrows, bolts and throwing weapons. Blocking to the sides will protect from getting overrun by a horse when katanaist turns in a way to bring his sword between himself and the beast. The horse will be split entirely during a successful block.

The katana fighting style was a one hit kill weapon against the armor and weapons of it's era and region. Most katana fights back then were more like wild west stand offs, First to draw and strike would win. Thing is that after that if they were blocked the katana user had no idea what to do after that because the style leaves you wide open for a counter strike. It was more a light weighted brutal weapon rather then a finnese weapon.

Also the katana couldn't cut chain mail.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2011, 09:44:34 pm by Mustang_Sweets »
I wear armor to protect myself from team mates.

That's right I am the beast master. Now, prepare to be tamed bitches!

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 03, 2011, 09:45:43 pm »
The katana fighting style was a one hit kill weapon against the armor and weapons of it's era and region. Most katana fights back then were more like wild west stand offs, First to draw and strike would win. Thing is that after that if they were blocked the katana user had no idea what to do after that because the style leaves you wide open for a counter strike. It was more a light weighted brutal weapon rather then a finnese weapon.

Also the katana couldn't cut chain mail.

Any (credible) sources for what you say? It sounds very, very much like the common Katana-Is-The-Weapon-Of-Gods myths that some westerners have.
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline Dunecat

• Noble
  • Renown: 19
  • cRPG Player
  • h+
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jaer_Selorn
« Reply #58 on: February 03, 2011, 09:51:18 pm »
I would like katana to have a one handed mode, usable without a shield.
In memory of Jaer_Selorn, member of Str, ruler of Pagundur

Offline Ninja_Khorin

• King
  • Renown: 1067
  • Infamy: 90
  • Zen
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Clan Ninja
  • Game nicks: Khorin/Keyoke/Lujan
  • IRC nick: Khorin
« Reply #59 on: February 03, 2011, 09:55:55 pm »
I'd like to point out that this thread is no longer relevant after the katana got a +1 speed increase and price reduction and upkeep reduction.