Author Topic: The Sword and Spear Way - Hoplites Guide  (Read 28756 times)

Offline Sari

• Duke
  • Renown: 507
  • Infamy: 111
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: The Sword and Spear Way - Hoplites Guide
« Reply #60 on: January 04, 2014, 05:59:49 am »
Where is the new wpf calculator ?

nvm.. :?

Offline Franke

• Earl
  • Renown: 384
  • Infamy: 23
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE
  • Game nicks: Franke_HRE and Frankes_STF_HRE
« Reply #61 on: January 06, 2014, 04:48:55 pm »
Would it - after the Agi/wpf patch of december- maybe make sense to rework some of the buils in the OP? I wanted to try out the Spartan build with my hoplite alt but I found 2 WM just not enough...
Quote from: Tindel
In teamspeak i like to hear all of your opinions on; beer and alcohol, chocolate chip cookies, social problems and their solutions, massmurderers, why ranged should burn in hell, hating on new maps, hating on old maps.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Ronin

• Marshall
  • Renown: 859
  • Infamy: 198
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 06, 2014, 04:49:55 pm »
oh yeah I think I'll have to update the guide. Those were planned based on the old formulas.
Quote from: BlindGuy
Seems the fascists are gaining ground once again in UKR... right vving politics is SO bad for the general populace but STILL in times of trouble the uneducated turn to them for help, simply because they are so amoral they vvill supply those vvilling to fight vvith vveapons rather than knovvledge.

My UU key is broken incase you can't tell :D

Offline Franke

• Earl
  • Renown: 384
  • Infamy: 23
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE
  • Game nicks: Franke_HRE and Frankes_STF_HRE
« Reply #63 on: January 06, 2014, 04:58:38 pm »
I went for 18/18 now with 6 WM, but I have always been a friend of balanced builds, so something else could work well here, too...
« Last Edit: January 06, 2014, 07:41:44 pm by Franke »
Quote from: Tindel
In teamspeak i like to hear all of your opinions on; beer and alcohol, chocolate chip cookies, social problems and their solutions, massmurderers, why ranged should burn in hell, hating on new maps, hating on old maps.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Ronin

• Marshall
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 17, 2014, 07:05:59 pm »
Updated the builds a "tiny bit" to make them viable with the current wpf values. I think owens' build is a bit better build after this patch, because of it benefit from all of the skills (wm is a more useful skill now).

Owens If you write some useful tips, cons&pros to it I will include your build in the OP :) But give me some details, I didn't really like that build before the patch so I'm not really that familiar with it.
Seems the fascists are gaining ground once again in UKR... right vving politics is SO bad for the general populace but STILL in times of trouble the uneducated turn to them for help, simply because they are so amoral they vvill supply those vvilling to fight vvith vveapons rather than knovvledge.

Offline owens

• Earl
  • Renown: 436
  • Infamy: 389
  • cRPG Player
  • PK_BALLA
    • View Profile
    • Our Website
  • Faction: Persian Kittens
  • Game nicks: PK's nice guy
  • IRC nick: PK world tour pm to donate
« Reply #65 on: January 18, 2014, 12:39:13 am »
+1
^Yep

Here you go lvl 30    21/15    Battle Hardened Hoplite                                                      If building for 31 or 32 24/15 is the logical progression

str 21  agi 15

wpf in pole 140    or     pole 115 1H 100

IF       7
PS      7
SH     5
WM    5
ATH    5

Capable of lasting a long time and good with both high damage and high reach weapons this is my favorite hoplite build.

I use a MW ashwood however a MW light lance is equally as good if not a little better. MW battlefork is too short for this builds lower movement speed.

I use armour of weight 14.5 with medium gloves. This build has great capability as a bruiser and has the greatest survivability of any hoplite build listed. I use loomed armour to exaggerate this. 5 shield skill is enough to use bucklers and I often carry a 0 slot sword buckler Long bardiche and my ashwood so that I can tango with any opponent. 7PS allows you to not only tag team but to also effectively kill opponents on your own especially with the higher damage spears.   I usually use Elite cavalry shield, ashwood and a messer/falchion, cleaver or pick as a sidearm.

Weak against ranged as they are much faster and can kite you easily although you can take many hits.

Strong vs cavalry and infantry.

You wont be the fastest or hardest hitting hoplite but you will be the one alive at rounds end or at very least last man standing.

PK is back

PK is a collection of elites from throughout modern and ancient history. Giants of Calradia individually, as a group these gods of combat shatter all expectations and ascend to a higher plain of victory that only a few have seen before.

Offline Sari

• Duke
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 18, 2014, 12:50:35 am »
(click to show/hide)

Maybe I'll try this on my stf. I sounds like a fun build.

Would it go good with either elite cavalry shield or huscarl's shield?

Offline owens

• Earl
  • Renown: 436
  • Infamy: 389
  • cRPG Player
  • PK_BALLA
    • View Profile
    • Our Website
  • Faction: Persian Kittens
  • Game nicks: PK's nice guy
  • IRC nick: PK world tour pm to donate
« Reply #67 on: January 18, 2014, 12:59:50 am »
^both are great

after the elite cav shields buff its lasts a fair bit longer than it used to. Keep in mind that ideally your shield won't be taking all that many hits.
PK is back

PK is a collection of elites from throughout modern and ancient history. Giants of Calradia individually, as a group these gods of combat shatter all expectations and ascend to a higher plain of victory that only a few have seen before.

Offline Sari

• Duke
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 20, 2014, 05:57:01 am »
+1
The Athenian and hypaspist stats have the same 15/21

Offline Ronin

• Marshall
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 20, 2014, 06:32:55 pm »
+2
Ok I fixed that issue with builds, and added owens' build. Some further add-ons and updates for the item stats will be coming soon.

Offline Jarold

• Marshall
  • Renown: 987
  • Infamy: 142
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • "Always wear more armor than the guy next to you."
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarold
« Reply #70 on: January 21, 2014, 04:06:23 am »
+2
An easy way to test how much wpf you get is just to respec a STF real quick.

Offline Sari

• Duke
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 28, 2014, 06:12:47 pm »
Last gen on my hoplite(Athenian build) I went full polearm and I loved to stab fast :D

Offline Aion

• Noble
  • Renown: 15
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild
  • Game nicks: Guard_Acke
« Reply #72 on: February 05, 2014, 06:27:43 pm »
+1
Hey , i just saw this guide today when elmuri linked it to me and a result of this that i respec my main to an Athenian build. For the moment i have 15/15 build at level 24 and im already pleased with the damage i can do already. The speed dmg aspect works very good out , better then i did expect.

I use an one handed axe and a elite cav shield. Further i use the war spear for the moment , prob gonna try the double sided lance and the ashwood in future.

I just want to say thanks for this guide. I have been playing as an hoplite for a generation with an 24/15 build. My hits did hurt but i still glance to much and not enough movement for my playstyle. I have a kind of dancing , side switching movement and i feel this Athenian build gonna make that more possible.

Also you dont have a problem with the wpf really since points in one handed and polearm fill each other up. With 5 wpm i already have 105  in one handed and 107 in polearm , so maybe i gonnae keep those 5 wpm and use the other 2 skill points for iF maybe since i use light / medium armor.

Offline Macropus

• King
  • Renown: 1668
  • Infamy: 296
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Macropus
« Reply #73 on: February 05, 2014, 11:20:02 pm »
Also you dont have a problem with the wpf really since points in one handed and polearm fill each other up. With 5 wpm i already have 105  in one handed and 107 in polearm , so maybe i gonnae keep those 5 wpm and use the other 2 skill points for iF maybe since i use light / medium armor.
I'm fairly sure those 2 skillpoints would be more useful if put in WM. You don't really need IF that much, besides of the fact you have a shield, as a supportive class you are not supposed to get hit very often at all.

Offline Aion

• Noble
  • Renown: 15
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild
  • Game nicks: Guard_Acke
« Reply #74 on: February 06, 2014, 02:11:36 pm »
I'm fairly sure those 2 skillpoints would be more useful if put in WM. You don't really need IF that much, besides of the fact you have a shield, as a supportive class you are not supposed to get hit very often at all.

Well you have a point there indeed. I still was thinking about the 2 skill points. I played some more yesterday and indeed have a feeling some more wpf wont hurt. Further i can reduce the dmg by using better armor  :P. Thanks Macropus.