Author Topic: What is Good Archer Armor ?  (Read 4072 times)

Offline Armpit_Sweat

• High Lord of the Spam
  • King
  • Renown: 1417
  • Infamy: 154
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Armpit_Sweat, My_horses_name_is_Rebecca
Re: What is Good Archer Armor ?
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2011, 11:36:07 am »
Studded Leather Coat = ultimate post-patch cRPG armor.
Heraldic chain-mail series is great too. But its price is not so hot :)

visitors can't see pics , please register or login
  Spam at The Temple of Spam

Offline Grey

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 72
  • Infamy: 54
  • cRPG Player
  • Hope you like arrows...
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Templar
  • Game nicks: -
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2011, 04:59:24 pm »
So many misleading threads of bullshit here: Studdded Leather Coat HAS ALWAYS BEEN THE BEST ARMOUR IN THE GAME.

But its fucking ugly.

To the OP: Question is flawed!!

ARCHERS DO NOT WEAR ARMOUR> You see a guy in armour with a bow, he IS NOT AN ARCHER. Owning a bow and putting points into PD does not make you an archer anymore than buying Katana MAKES you a ninja.

Now, HA are NOT ARCHERS, as HA you can wear whatever armour you want, it wont affect you, since REAL HA shoot from 2-3 metres, NOT longrange.

Guys who use strongbow on foot, are NOT archers, just a joke us real archers laugh at and then 1shot.

Archers wear: Padded Leather MAX HEAVY ARMOUR. and its just for style, WHY do you want armour when your ENTIRE PURPOSE is to kill others before they can hit you? If you want the armour to survive enemy arrows, then you are not an archer, just a target.

As it is, archer in this mod is still pointless, since shields STILL have a MASSIVE forcefield around them that sucks projectiles off their path, sometimes making 90% turns, just to hit the shield. Its retarded and fail.

But, point stands, archers wear no armour, it is a crutch you must learn to live without, just like shields. Nothing makes me sadder than a platearmoured guy with a steel shield, its so sad that he will do well in the fighting, even tho he cannot block manually, has no timing for combat, and no awareness, he just needs to hold mouse2 untill someone else makes a mistake, then press mouse1, then hold mouse2 again. I would like to see a nice realistic repair system, whereby dieing in your amour LOSES that armour for good and awesome, make ppl REALLY play, get some skills....
Bamboo Bundle Bowman: 90'' draw, groups at 200 yards.

Offline Hirlok

• Duke
  • Renown: 624
  • Infamy: 122
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • A friendly archer decorating your ass with arrows
    • View Profile
    • Gab.ai. Freedom of Speech matters.
  • Faction: Always Take The Shot
  • Game nicks: None that you need to know of - except Hirlok the Hermit.
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2011, 05:18:10 pm »
sometimes I go tincan just for the lulz, but of course you can't hit shit then and should carry at least a flam as  your sideweapon... ;-)

Usually: studded leather just looks to frickn baaahhhh, so pilgrim or ragged. And woolen cap for the win, will be heirloomed one day ;-)

One exeption for the no-armor-rule (even if Grey might rightfully throw in that those aren't archers either...):
there are those PD10 and up "siege archers" who have no accuracy anyways, but can bust dem tincans off the ladders or oneshot them at short distance. For them armor ain't bad, lamellar e.g. helps agains peasants and enemy archers and does not bog you down too much.
Hermit Status report : feeling a little social. Threatening melee my old friends with a comeback. Greasing the string of his old longbow. Carving certain names into the tips of his arrows...

Offline Armpit_Sweat

• High Lord of the Spam
  • King
  • Renown: 1417
  • Infamy: 154
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Armpit_Sweat, My_horses_name_is_Rebecca
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2011, 05:28:32 pm »
(click to show/hide)
You are full of shit :)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
  Spam at The Temple of Spam

Offline kongxinga

• Peasant
  • Renown: 6
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Farmers
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2011, 05:47:07 pm »
Horse archers can't go that near, unless they want to meet a hail of throwing missiles. There is a quite a lot of archering involved in HA since combat is a lot more fluid compared to hide behind cover, step out shoot, hide. I think optimum HA range is just out of throwing distance. While speed is not a factor for HA, WPF reductions apparently still exist.

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2011, 06:00:10 pm »
Meh, I wear armour so I can actually 1 match my clan and 2 not get one shot like all of the no-armor archers. If archers in real life wear light amounts of armor, and if archers in games (including this one) wear light amounts of armor, then I shall do so too.

To the OP: Unless you are Grey who dodges all shots and ignores the times when a crossbow has ganked him unaware or when he has messed up his dodging and thus dies due to his lack of armor, then you yourself actually need some small amounts of it to remain competative... Unless you do enjoy being one-shot the instant you make a mistake, because even BKS players sometimes mess up...
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Grey

• Permanently Banned
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2011, 06:17:16 pm »
Horse archers can't go that near, unless they want to meet a hail of throwing missiles. There is a quite a lot of archering involved in HA since combat is a lot more fluid compared to hide behind cover, step out shoot, hide. I think optimum HA range is just out of throwing distance. While speed is not a factor for HA, WPF reductions apparently still exist.

Well, horse archers CAN and we DO get that close, because of the shitting dmg drop off, to kill a tincan with a strong bow I must make him say "CHEESE" and place my arrowtip in his mouth before I fire to actually hurt the guy. Throwing is powerful, yes, but so are swords, crossbows, lances, etc. and I dont fear them, HA is about being able to outmanouver everyone else. The player named EGGNOGG something or other learnt this yesterday, when he tried to show that his courser could somehow compete with steppe horse. Speed and dmg are all very well, but not getting hit is still better than buying IF, or armour.

People need to change their outlook: Stop building to survive being hit, just avoid being hit, its easier, cheaper, and more reliably saves your life. Also this "hide, step out, shoot, hide" mentallity is what allows me to kill so easily: I stand in the open, you wont shoot me because I will shoot you first, with my more accurate and more powerful fire: PD6 150 wpf noone has yet survived a headshot, except ONCE i saw a guy take one from spawn to spawn, but I put that one down to range dropoff.

Meh, I wear armour so I can actually 1 match my clan and 2 not get one shot like all of the no-armor archers. If archers in real life wear light amounts of armor, and if archers in games (including this one) wear light amounts of armor, then I shall do so too.

To the OP: Unless you are Grey who dodges all shots and ignores the times when a crossbow has ganked him unaware or when he has messed up his dodging and thus dies due to his lack of armor, then you yourself actually need some small amounts of it to remain competative... Unless you do enjoy being one-shot the instant you make a mistake, because even BKS players sometimes mess up...

I dont mess up dodging, because Im so light on my feet, not having to cart that armour and shield around XD.

Clan? Theres no strategus right now, so therefor no clans, sry mate, just a friendsgroup. Match them if you want, even once strategus starts, your still gonna have to wear whatever the buyers pick when your in strategus. Public is to be YOU, not a clone.

Also, crossbow cannot gank, since it is a single shot weapon, used at range, a gank is a GANG KILL, so unless a gang of xbowmen shoot me......

I dont get ganked, I gank! XD
« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 06:18:52 pm by Grey »

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2011, 06:25:40 pm »
Ah, good to know you never mess up dodging and you just let me plug you with an arrow a few weeks back, thank you for letting me hit you. Forgive me for having the arrogance to assume that you were trying to dodge  :lol:
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Wulzzz

• Peasant
  • Renown: 3
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2011, 06:56:51 pm »
ARCHERS DO NOT WEAR ARMOUR> You see a guy in armour with a bow, he IS NOT AN ARCHER. Owning a bow and putting points into PD does not make you an archer anymore than buying Katana MAKES you a ninja.

Now, HA are NOT ARCHERS, as HA you can wear whatever armour you want, it wont affect you, since REAL HA shoot from 2-3 metres, NOT longrange.

hm?i wear mameluke mail (44 body defens) and lamellar gauntlets(8 defens)
When the enemy team is heavily camping, i often rush behind enemy line and just long range shoot archers on roofs..with success.
With 172 wpf btw

Offline Grey

• Permanently Banned
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2011, 07:01:52 pm »
Ah, good to know you never mess up dodging and you just let me plug you with an arrow a few weeks back, thank you for letting me hit you. Forgive me for having the arrogance to assume that you were trying to dodge  :lol:

I thought u needed the boost.

OF COURSE I GET HIT. And sometimes I get while dodging too, but hey, when ppl got weapons, other ppl gonna get hit.....

BUT: Im still rolling in kills, top of the servers, and I am doing it in blue tunic, hood, wrapping boots. even my melee classes (whose names I with hold, else I get poll banned very often) I fight in next to 0 armour, JUST IMAGINE how much you would all rage if I spent the countless "chadz money" I have on plate armour, its not like the patheticly low "upkeep costs" would stop me, just like it doesnt stop annyone else. I honestly dont know why that was intriduced at all, its a placebo.......

hm?i wear mameluke mail (44 body defens) and lamellar gauntlets(8 defens)
When the enemy team is heavily camping, i often rush behind enemy line and just long range shoot archers on roofs..with success.
With 172 wpf btw

Good for you buddy. Your not an archer tho, neither are those guys you see on roofs, else you would be dead before you get behind them, and if I see you I will lol as I plug your body time and again, then kill you and lol again. Bowmen in armour: target. Guy on a horse: Target. Anyone without the full body protection shields (huscarl, steel): Target.

Anyone with round shield is automatically immune to all ranged fire tho....makes me wanna slap the "balance team"
« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 07:04:31 pm by Grey »

Offline Wulzzz

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2011, 07:05:38 pm »
What are you talking about?

I got good accuracy on horse as well as foot archer and not bad damage.
And i can kill other archers as HA or as normal archer, especially ultra PG archers in UNDER 5 WEIGHT OMG OMG FOR ULTRANESS armor like you

Offline Baldr

• Peasant
  • Renown: 5
  • cRPG Player
  • Baldr?
    • View Profile
    • BALDR
  • Faction: Baldr
  • Game nicks: Baldr & Balder
  • IRC nick: Baldr damnit!
« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2011, 07:19:21 pm »
(click to show/hide)
You are full of shit :)

Gray has a point, I never wear armour on Nanna except for fun and as a HA/A you have all that cha ching so money in the bank isn't a prob joe. Archer or horse archer is a no armour no brainer thing. But to answer the original question, there is only one thing you have to do...

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

Added the last spoiler..  :wink:
« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 07:20:23 pm by Baldr »

Offline Wulzzz

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2011, 07:31:44 pm »
The accuracy difference between 0 and 15 or even 20 (effective weight)is not that ultra huge..so.. you sure can wear some middle armor.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 07:34:10 pm by Wulzzz »

Offline EponiCo

• Baron
  • Renown: 92
  • Infamy: 15
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild
  • Game nicks: Guard_Aine
« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2011, 08:04:50 pm »
(click to show/hide)

But ... but ... but ... I have a strongbow and armor. And I'm not an archer?  :cry:
What am I then? Oh, I know, I'm a stormtrooper. Pew Pew Pew lightsaber draw sound lightsaber swing sounds breathing. May the forcefield be with you!
Sadly I have to play like I was evil since we don't have a white plate.

On a more serious note I'm quite content with the 36 points armors. Technically the studded leather may be the best, but it has a huge penalty to charisma. Also I've often made kills while I was down to 1 or 2 hp, don't know if benefits of lower armor would be worth it. No head armor, though. Actually one these narrow backally type maps that are getting popular I think some higher armor may very well be worth it. Load out with some heavy armor, some good melee weapon and rush with the infantry. Once you come to a place where they shoot down from the roofs stand back and provide surpression fire.

Offline Baldr

• Peasant
  • Renown: 5
  • cRPG Player
  • Baldr?
    • View Profile
    • BALDR
  • Faction: Baldr
  • Game nicks: Baldr & Balder
  • IRC nick: Baldr damnit!
« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2011, 08:53:50 pm »
(click to show/hide)

But ... but ... but ... I have a strongbow and armor. And I'm not an archer?  :cry:
What am I then? Oh, I know, I'm a stormtrooper. Pew Pew Pew lightsaber draw sound lightsaber swing sounds breathing. May the forcefield be with you!
Sadly I have to play like I was evil since we don't have a white plate.

On a more serious note I'm quite content with the 36 points armors. Technically the studded leather may be the best, but it has a huge penalty to charisma. Also I've often made kills while I was down to 1 or 2 hp, don't know if benefits of lower armor would be worth it. No head armor, though. Actually one these narrow backally type maps that are getting popular I think some higher armor may very well be worth it. Load out with some heavy armor, some good melee weapon and rush with the infantry. Once you come to a place where they shoot down from the roofs stand back and provide surpression fire.

+1