Author Topic: First Thoughts  (Read 5351 times)

Offline Beat

• Mighty
  • Knight
  • Renown: 71
  • Infamy: 3
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: First Thoughts
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2012, 02:18:37 am »
+4
First of all, yes, the game can be tough but once you get the hang of it, you realize there is nothing else out there like it.  Once learned it is very rewarding.  That being said, it's not for everyone.  Especially people who have no patience and/or are frustrated easily.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Secondly, did you play native at all or did you start out on this mod?  It is recommended that you play the normal game first to get the hang of it.  Use the tutorial.  There are guys you can practice blocking and duel with to the left when you start the tutorial.  You can also try native multiplayer.  It's slightly more arcade style than CRPG and arrows actually hurt people.  Once you get the basics and become somewhat competent at blocking I recommend making a 2 hand or polearm character to further your skills in manual blocking.  Too many people (myself included) start out playing ranged or a shielder and never really get to develop their skills.

Also, some of the info in this thread is out of date but it's still very helpful.   http://forum.c-rpg.net/index.php/topic,9245.0.html

Offline Baggy

• Count
  • Renown: 199
  • Infamy: 94
  • cRPG Player
  • Sup brah
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Baggy _Potato Blight_ Famine Emigration
  • IRC nick: Baggy
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2012, 02:28:33 am »
He's lucky he never met The Finn.

Offline Baggy

• Count
  • cRPG Player
  • Sup brah
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2012, 02:45:38 am »
Ninjas with Bamboo spears put the fear of god into cav.

Offline bilwit

• Agent provocateur
  • Count
  • Renown: 275
  • Infamy: 181
  • The toast is anarchy!
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Billy_Whitmore, Andre_Whitmore, Gideon_Stargrave
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2012, 02:53:50 am »
+2
Hey all!

New player here. I've been playing for a few days now and I'd like to comment on some things on why I actually stopped playing. There are some issues with this game that make picking it up and playing fresh almost impossible in its current state.

First off: Why is there such a large gap from the top to the bottom? Even with the level 30 boost I still have nothing compared to others. I even saw some people getting removed from servers for not wanting to blindly rush into death countless times. Is there a reason this game allows people with hardly anything to play with people who are completely decked? Maybe I am missing something here, but I feel no immersion being completely trampled game after game just trying to get ahead. I understand that it's an RPG but if I can't get a fair matching or fight back at least somewhat then I'm going to feel robbed and probably end up quitting before I get to end game (like my friends did).

second: Why is character creation so confusing? I pretty much wasted every stat point trying to build what I wanted, to find out my build is almost useless unless I go cookie cutter and put all my points into one skill. Why wouldn't you just tell beginning players this? Are you trying to make the game harder for beginners? Once again I'm lost on the motive.

In my vast game experience, you try to get people hooked before giving them a challenge and not just completely start them downhill, expecting them to wade through shit dying 100 times to get one cheap upgrade in the hopes that at some point it will be playable and fair. Just my 2c.

All new players seem to think the reason why they're getting owned is because they don't have the money to wear full plate 24/7 or have the amount of looms like everyone else. This is really not the case. The reason is that you suck. With +3 gothic/+3 danish and 30 strength you would be able to crutch a few more hits but that wouldn't solve your problem. We've all been through it. It took me a couple of generations to actually feel like I knew what I was doing in a fight. Now when I retire, I feel like I can contribute and sneak a couple kills by level 6 with the good old pitchfork. If you don't have the stomach or patience to learn the game, that's on you not the gear. If you and your friends truly feel that way and quit forever, you wouldn't be the first. Warband isn't for everybody.

Most of us are currently living off relatives, friends, parttime-jobs or savings, to be able to work as much and cheaply as possible.

Offline Herkkutatti666

• Duke
  • Renown: 585
  • Infamy: 285
  • cRPG Player
  • Rips pärs
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2012, 02:54:05 am »
+2
it was easier to get addicted to this game when everyone were noobs.

Offline Baggy

• Count
  • cRPG Player
  • Sup brah
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2012, 03:00:31 am »
True facts

Offline SixThumbs

• Duke
  • Renown: 567
  • Infamy: 60
  • cRPG Player
  • Consumer Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2012, 03:03:57 am »
+1
Yeah, it really did take me about 2-3 gens (and a functional graphics card) to be able to consistently get kills and not be so hesitant about actually engaging the enemy face to face. That being said the average skill level feels like it's gone up since I started playing as my old tricks don't work as often as they used to.
And how!

Offline rustyspoon

• Marshall
  • Renown: 794
  • Infamy: 164
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Rustyspoon, Sir_Rusty_Of_Spoon, Rusty_the_Spoonarian
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2012, 03:15:28 am »
+1
First off: Why is there such a large gap from the top to the bottom? Even with the level 30 boost I still have nothing compared to others. I even saw some people getting removed from servers for not wanting to blindly rush into death countless times. Is there a reason this game allows people with hardly anything to play with people who are completely decked? Maybe I am missing something here, but I feel no immersion being completely trampled game after game just trying to get ahead. I understand that it's an RPG but if I can't get a fair matching or fight back at least somewhat then I'm going to feel robbed and probably end up quitting before I get to end game (like my friends did).

Levels and gear don't make a good player. And also, even as a peasant you can contribute to a fight. WAY back when this game was a HELL of a lot more unforgiving towards new people, there were guides on how to survive being a peasant. Back in the old days you didn't get money or xp unless you stayed alive. Good times.

Anyway, it sounds to me like you have a bit of an entitlement issue. "Hey, I downloaded this mod so I should be able to kill 10,000 people without putting in any effort or time whatsoever."

second: Why is character creation so confusing? I pretty much wasted every stat point trying to build what I wanted, to find out my build is almost useless unless I go cookie cutter and put all my points into one skill. Why wouldn't you just tell beginning players this? Are you trying to make the game harder for beginners? Once again I'm lost on the motive.

Yeah unless you spend some time on the forums, your first build is going to suck balls. In my opinion they should put a link to the beginner's guides on the website. You're also wrong about putting all your points in one skill. There are a lot of diverse builds out there actually.

In my vast game experience, you try to get people hooked before giving them a challenge and not just completely start them downhill, expecting them to wade through shit dying 100 times to get one cheap upgrade in the hopes that at some point it will be playable and fair. Just my 2c.

I personally like it better that starting out in this game is a bitch, though admittedly it's a hell of a lot easier than it used to be. That way, the only people who play are really dedicated to playing. Keeps the scrubs out basically and helps us have a better community. I mean yeah, we do have our share of dickheads in this community, but imagine how bad it would be if anyone could just come in here and they stuck around.

Offline Vodner

• Duke
  • Renown: 526
  • Infamy: 73
  • cRPG Player
  • SaulCanner
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: SaulCanner
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2012, 03:20:58 am »
A skip the fun character gets enough money to buy a mid-tier weapon and some medium (lamellar) armor. That's more than enough to get kills.

I only play skip the fun alts. I still manage to do fine. So do many others. You're just getting into the game late, which means you need to do a large amount of catchup with the rest of the community in terms of skill level.

Watch Reapy's infantry primer, and spend some time in the duel server. Use a build from the 'Beginner's Help and Guides' forum (you should probably start with a 21/15 1h build), at least until you get a feel for what all of the stats do. Expect to do very poorly for the first hundred or so hours.

Remember, if the game wasn't difficult, then it wouldn't be worth playing in the long run.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 03:24:14 am by Vodner »

Offline Dexxtaa

• King
  • Renown: 1268
  • Infamy: 200
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Remnant_Dexxtaa
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2012, 03:33:24 am »
+2
Response from the admin that kicked the thread starter (OP)

A whole 120? How many do you actually retain? Because I can tell you out of my 6 friends playing this mod, only I still play(ed) it.

edit: off to play some other games. I'd love to hear from the admins, whom from what I saw were kicking people not willing to run in and die. Sounds like cool dudes.

That was me, Rinaun, that kicked you from the server.

You and your apparent friend admitted to - and even seem proud of - leeching, which is against the server rules. You began your tirade by claiming that "the point [of this game] is to afk until [we] have gear."
I even pointed out that you should not do it, and you went ahead and posted that you were going to regardless.
(click to show/hide)

Rhordi of Wessex was gracious enough to tell you the consequences of performing a breach of server rules. Mrblood decided that he'd go around telling people that he was doing it earlier today, and without repurcussion. At which point I banned him for 1 hour. I admit that I did it to prove a point (that you can't break the server rules and think you can get away with it), but I think I made the point pretty clear then. Apparently you're not very courteous, either.
(click to show/hide)

You then began insulting the people who brought you this mod (for free, mind you), and then proceeded to be a smartass and telling everyone of your intent to leech (and then insulted the devs again, for good measure of your poor spirit, in case we didn't get it the first time).
(click to show/hide)

I even apologized for being curt and harsh on a bunch of newbies who were gloating about their intent to leech (which, by my reckoning, was already going out of my way).
Your "not willing to run in and die" consisted of telling me of your intent to "autobot" (not recorded, but I can check the logs, if you'd like).

Rhodri again was nice enough to tell me to lay off, since you were new. And your telling the server that you were going to "be leeching until remove(d) you" forced my hand to give you a kick.
(click to show/hide)

The server had some nasty things to say about your attitude after you left, but we'll keep it on topic, shall we.

edit: bear in mind that I only kicked you and mrblood for openly talking about your leeching antics.

Offline Baggy

• Count
  • cRPG Player
  • Sup brah
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2012, 03:34:38 am »
+1
Starting with a 1h makes it much harder to get good at skills like Manual blocking an footwork.

EDIT:OP is a dick.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 03:38:17 am by Baggy »

Offline Vodner

• Duke
  • Renown: 526
  • Infamy: 73
  • cRPG Player
  • SaulCanner
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: SaulCanner
« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2012, 03:43:38 am »
+1
Here is some decent starting gear for a 1h that is affordable with 10k gold and is more than capable of getting kills:

Horseman's heater shield - $2433
* upgrade to huscarl once money permits
Byrnie - $3003
* upgrade to something heavier
Soldier's cleaver - $3147
* upgrade to an elite scimitar
Nordic leather helmet with rings - $361
* upgrade to something with at least 30 head armor

Starting with a 1h makes it much harder to get good at skills like Manual blocking an footwork.

EDIT:OP is a dick.
Manual blocking can be picked up by just going without a shield in the duel server. Footwork is more important to 1h characters than any other weapon class in the game.

Offline rinaun

• Peasant
  • Renown: 1
  • Infamy: 15
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2012, 03:59:30 am »
Response from the admin that kicked the thread starter (OP)

That was me, Rinaun, that kicked you from the server.

You and your apparent friend admitted to - and even seem proud of - leeching, which is against the server rules. You began your tirade by claiming that "the point [of this game] is to afk until [we] have gear."
I even pointed out that you should not do it, and you went ahead and posted that you were going to regardless.
(click to show/hide)

Rhordi of Wessex was gracious enough to tell you the consequences of performing a breach of server rules. Mrblood decided that he'd go around telling people that he was doing it earlier today, and without repurcussion. At which point I banned him for 1 hour. I admit that I did it to prove a point (that you can't break the server rules and think you can get away with it), but I think I made the point pretty clear then. Apparently you're not very courteous, either.
(click to show/hide)

You then began insulting the people who brought you this mod (for free, mind you), and then proceeded to be a smartass and telling everyone of your intent to leech (and then insulted the devs again, for good measure of your poor spirit, in case we didn't get it the first time).
(click to show/hide)

I even apologized for being curt and harsh on a bunch of newbies who were gloating about their intent to leech (which, by my reckoning, was already going out of my way).
Your "not willing to run in and die" consisted of telling me of your intent to "autobot" (not recorded, but I can check the logs, if you'd like).

Rhodri again was nice enough to tell me to lay off, since you were new. And your telling the server that you were going to "be leeching until remove(d) you" forced my hand to give you a kick.
(click to show/hide)

The server had some nasty things to say about your attitude after you left, but we'll keep it on topic, shall we.

edit: bear in mind that I only kicked you and mrblood for openly talking about your leeching antics.

you are right, you kicked me and him for essentially getting tired of running in and dying endlessly. Yes, I did play the original mount and blade. I think after talking to some people not based on this forum/mod, I will just avoid this mod and my group of friends will play native if we feel the urge to play. It sounds like this mod rewards players whom grind endlessly and put up with getting decked. I actually find it quite funny that you kicked mrblood (without warning) for basically doing what half the people doing this mod do; just stand and rake up stuff. It's not like I don't read other forums for tips/tricks  :rolleyes:.

Thanks for the explanation, though. I think the skip to 30 explains a lot more about this game tbh.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 04:03:34 am by rinaun »

Offline Swifteye234

• Knight
  • Renown: 48
  • Infamy: 4
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Rainbow Shirelings
  • Game nicks: PRO_Jar_of_Diplomacy
« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2012, 04:01:16 am »
+3
Hey all!

New player here. I've been playing for a few days now and I'd like to comment on some things on why I actually stopped playing. There are some issues with this game that make picking it up and playing fresh almost impossible in its current state.

I think we all know the real reason you stopped playing

YOU

GOT

SAND

IN

YOUR

VAJAY
Lamk: Swift invite me to the Steam Pro Group
Я|Swiftpanda: call me big daddy
Lamk: K
Lamk: ty Big Daddy :P

Offline Allers

• Count
  • Renown: 292
  • Infamy: 134
  • cRPG Player
  • Ca$hville
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ca$hville Records, Ruff Ryders
  • Game nicks: Allers, Young Buck, DMX
  • IRC nick: Allers
« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2012, 04:05:02 am »
Hey all!

I hate all new players please leave
Ca$hville 615