Author Topic: If This Isn't Ovpowered, Why Isn't it?  (Read 7282 times)

Offline San

• Developer
  • Renown: 1456
  • Infamy: 143
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • 1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
    • View Profile
    • My youtube Brawl videos
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: San_of_Chaos
  • IRC nick: San
Re: If This Isn't Ovpowered, Why Isn't it?
« Reply #75 on: June 20, 2012, 06:48:30 pm »
I think throwing is fine, but I think they need to be a lot more careful when they throw and try to actually hit properly instead of throwing a bunch and retrieving them later. This may be difficult to code, but it would be cool to have it so if you throw the same weapon 2 times, it "breaks" and you can't use it again. That way, throwers don't just spam throw and hope for a lucky hit while they run around and scavenge for more.

This might be even harder to code, but it would be nice to have throwing weapons that hit the enemy can also be retrieved and don't contribute to it breaking.

This buffs throwers that can actually hit people and conserve their ammo, instead of throwing as fast as possible, and helps balance it against its low accuracy.

Offline Zisa

• Count
  • Renown: 272
  • Infamy: 124
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: I am not at liberty to say.
« Reply #76 on: June 20, 2012, 06:53:52 pm »
I think throwing is fine, but I think they need to be a lot more careful when they throw and try to actually hit properly instead of throwing a bunch and retrieving them later. This may be difficult to code, but it would be cool to have it so if you throw the same weapon 2 times, it "breaks" and you can't use it again. That way, throwers don't just spam throw and hope for a lucky hit while they run around and scavenge for more.

This might be even harder to code, but it would be nice to have throwing weapons that hit the enemy can also be retrieved and don't contribute to it breaking.

This buffs throwers that can actually hit people and conserve their ammo, instead of throwing as fast as possible, and helps balance it against its low accuracy.
Devs can check, but as far a I can tell you are more likely to miss when spamming. Might even be throwing 'blanks'.
Alas nodachi
remembers glorious spring
a tin can's hatchet.
http://www.moddb.com/members/psychotropicdog

Offline oprah_winfrey

• Marshall
  • Renown: 808
  • Infamy: 196
  • cRPG Player
  • Now look under your seat...
    • View Profile
  • Faction: JABONRA
  • Game nicks: Egan
« Reply #77 on: June 20, 2012, 07:40:47 pm »

Or make it so anyone can pick up throwing weapons, but not throw them.

Offline Hobb

• Earl
  • Renown: 489
  • Infamy: 96
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: TKoV
« Reply #78 on: June 20, 2012, 08:22:20 pm »
+5
As cav i fear nothing more than throwers. A champ courser on the move rarely takes 2 body shots from throwers. It is imo the best counter to lancer cav especially when they are in a group or otherwise protected.

But.....

A pure throwers playstyle makes them very vulnerable. I mean think about it, throwers are at there best when they are close enough to melee clashes to be accurate but far enough away so they dont get attacked... This area is exactly where cav get most of there kills.

I think most lancers can agree that they kill alot of throwers.

Throwing not OP, imo they should have more ammo

Offline Artyem

• King
  • Renown: 1218
  • Infamy: 264
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
  • SODOM Shaman
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Dracul / Raven / SODOMY
  • Game nicks: Artyem
« Reply #79 on: June 20, 2012, 09:19:57 pm »
+1
(click to show/hide)

I used to have more but they vanished!  This is what I see on a daily basis, except it's usually not just one axe in the head, it's five in their torso.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Sordida asinum latronibus sumus

Offline oprah_winfrey

• Marshall
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 20, 2012, 09:29:34 pm »
(click to show/hide)

I used to have more but they vanished!  This is what I see on a daily basis, except it's usually not just one axe in the head, it's five in their torso.

Keep in mind that even though it looks like that is sticking out of his head, it was not registered as a headshot.

Offline Artyem

• King
  • SODOM Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 20, 2012, 09:30:58 pm »
+1
Which is another problem with throwing, the hitboxes get warped around so much that when we do land a hit it usually doesn't do as much damage as you'd expect it to because it's probably not even hitting the part of the body it's sticking out of.

Offline Rusty_Shacklefjord

• Baron
  • Renown: 90
  • Infamy: 61
  • cRPG Player
  • Pro-pain
    • View Profile
  • Faction: One Man Army
  • Game nicks: Erik_Magnusson
« Reply #82 on: June 20, 2012, 09:32:31 pm »
To begin with, a pure thrower on the battlefield is completely unrealistic. I challenge anyone to name one type of pure-throwing warrior from history, aside from maybe cavemen with slings and rocks. There have been a lot of hybrids like vikings with throwing axes, greeks with javelins, zulu spear chuckers and ninjas with throwing stars, but none of them was all about throwing shit at the enemy. They either fought normally with their weapon and threw it when the time was right, or threw it immediately before the clash and went to fight with their primary weapon. THAT is how throwing weapons are used realistically.

In cRPG, throwers have limited ammo compared to other types of ranged, but realistically it's still too much. Nobody ever went to battle with 12 little axes strapped to their belt, but they're everywhere on the NA servers. I think EU players seriously underestimate how many of these pure throwers we have on NA. I can't remember the last time I saw someone with a heavy kuyak and danish greatsword, but I saw a dozen pure throwers before lunch.

As someone else mentioned, they can also easily share and pick up ammo, and often travel in groups of 2-3. These little clubs like to pick on helpless melee players and hang around the edge of brawls, bombarding people with a hail of axes. If you try to attack, they'll backpedal and scatter while chucking axes back at you. If you try to retreat, they'll run you down with their 9 athletics and endlessly recycled axes - any one of which is enough to kill or maim.

It's both unrealistic and unfun. There's really no excuse for throwing to continue being as ridiculous as it is.
I too am not a bit tamed, I too am untranslatable,
I sound my barbaric YAWP over the roofs of the world.

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • Renown: 573
  • Infamy: 596
  • cRPG Player
  • YOU INCOMPETENT TOH'PAH!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Northmen
  • Game nicks: GotLander, Hamarr, Digglesan, Black_D34th
« Reply #83 on: June 20, 2012, 09:44:07 pm »
+4
Chucky should print out Miley's post, frame it and hang it next to his computer for inspiration.

Go Thrower nation!

For all you 2h heroes, if you think throwing is so overpowered, put your money where your mouth is and respec throwing.  *Listens for crickets*
« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 09:54:37 pm by Digglez »

Offline Vodner

• Duke
  • Renown: 526
  • Infamy: 73
  • cRPG Player
  • SaulCanner
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: SaulCanner
« Reply #84 on: June 20, 2012, 09:52:01 pm »
To begin with, a pure thrower on the battlefield is completely unrealistic. I challenge anyone to name one type of pure-throwing warrior from history, aside from maybe cavemen with slings and rocks. There have been a lot of hybrids like vikings with throwing axes, greeks with javelins, zulu spear chuckers and ninjas with throwing stars, but none of them was all about throwing shit at the enemy. They either fought normally with their weapon and threw it when the time was right, or threw it immediately before the clash and went to fight with their primary weapon. THAT is how throwing weapons are used realistically.
Weren't Roman velites used almost entirely for their javelins? I believe they carried melee weapons, but I don't believe they engaged in melee under normal circumstances.

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 2415
  • Infamy: 2281
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 20, 2012, 09:53:45 pm »
This is medieval battle simulator. At least it's trying to be...

Offline Artyem

• King
  • SODOM Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 20, 2012, 09:55:53 pm »
+2
Rusty, I'm having a hard time following your argument here.  In real life there is no such thing as a "pure build" because you didn't stop learning how to do things at the age of 45 (you were probably dead before that, but that's aside from the point) as most people then who fought in wars probably were capable of throwing a spear, using a sword, and also probably knew how to use a halberd.

Sure, there was no such thing as a "pure thrower" but there was also no such thing as a "pure two hander".

This isn't even a realism discussion, this is a whine thread because a two hander lost some health to a +3 heavy throwing axe, which is inaccurate as hell and often misses the hitbox that it was going for.  And yeah, throwers travel in packs because if you go alone you're going to chip out over half your arsenal to take down a guy with a two hander, but if you had a buddy or two you're minimizing the amount of ammo expelled from either person.

"helpless melee players" you could always travel with friends too, instead of going rambo with your 11 ironflesh 11 power strike bullshitery.  You also claim that they have an endless supply of recycled axes, which wouldn't happen if they were actually killing things as you can't yet remove a throwing axe from a dead body.  And if they actually do miss that much, then doesn't that just prove that they're too inaccurate and should probably just be left alone?  And most throwers that actually do damage don't have 9 athletics but run just about as fast as you do.

Two handers can swing their sword at the speed of light while running around with no weight restrictions thanks to how ridiculous the strength attribute is now, they can stab further than a polearm and accelerate faster than a one hander.  They don't even need to hit you with the blade, just the hilt is fine and it still delivers 2x as much damage as one throwing axe.

Two handers are both unrealistic and unfun.  There's really no excuse for two handers to continue being as ridiculous as they are.

EDIT:

Well, you don't have 12 effective power throw, that's for sure. How much throwing wpf do you have and how much armor do you wear? My guess is that you've max got 8, probably like 6-7 :lol:

I wear a nomad vest and light everything else with around 113 wpf in throwing, which isn't alot but when you consider that I wear light armor i don't really need much more.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 10:31:21 pm by Artyem »

Offline Zanze

• Earl
  • Renown: 366
  • Infamy: 69
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ravens of Valhalla
  • Game nicks: Raven_Zan
« Reply #87 on: June 20, 2012, 10:44:15 pm »
To begin with, a pure thrower on the battlefield is completely unrealistic. I challenge anyone to name one type of pure-throwing warrior from history, aside from maybe cavemen with slings and rocks.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Velites
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peltast

Also, just for the record, when in need of recruits for your army would it be easier to arm someone to the teeth or give a man a piece of wood as a shield and 3 sharpened sticks and say "run in, throw this, and then stand in front of the real soldiers so you protect them from arrows or javelins or whatnot" Skirmishers were, and are used in every single army to date(Maybe less now in modern warfare, but light infantry still exists). Romans and Vikings threw because it was effective, that is true. They doubled as heavy infantry, that is true. But what about the ones who could not afford mail armor? Or a good weapon? They threw whatever they could find at the enemy.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 10:48:37 pm by Zanze »

Offline oprah_winfrey

• Marshall
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 20, 2012, 10:55:04 pm »
I wear a nomad vest and light everything else with around 113 wpf in throwing, which isn't alot but when you consider that I wear light armor i don't really need much more.

Actually you do, you need 13 or 14 wpf (i forget) per PT, so if you only have 113 you only get a bonus of 8 PT.

This should explain why you can't aim for shit and your throwing weapons don't do as much damage as you think they would.

Offline robert_namo

• Count
  • Renown: 170
  • Infamy: 55
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • I don't understand.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Astralis "of the Stars"
  • Game nicks: Robert_Namo_Astralis
« Reply #89 on: June 20, 2012, 11:16:17 pm »
Just wait till they make my nodachi throwable.