Author Topic: Best Sword+Board Build?  (Read 4781 times)

Offline Mlekce

• Earl
  • Renown: 454
  • Infamy: 367
  • cRPG Player
  • Remove kebab
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguard, ex Byzantium
  • Game nicks: Mlekce, Sergius
  • IRC nick: Mlekce
Re: Best Sword+Board Build?
« Reply #45 on: June 12, 2012, 07:06:22 pm »
So with 7 ps and current 3 athl what do u suggest for me to use? i will go for 21/15 build.

Offline Turboflex

• Duke
  • Renown: 648
  • Infamy: 212
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ravens of Valhalla
« Reply #46 on: June 12, 2012, 07:16:10 pm »
San of chaos is 24-15 I think, wears medium-hvy armour and does well with the pick, its all about comfort. Once you get very familiar with a weapon you become really good at using its range perfectly which makes up for downsides.

Mlecke, 21-15 is a good start, experiment with different weapons, like regular swords, stabbing swords (espada), short range power weapons, there's even some unique weapons in the middle price range like military hammer, nordic war sword, arabian cavalry sword, italian sword, that some people swear by and really kick ass with. You can also experiment with more PS in your next gen and/or hybrid.

1h/shielder takes a while to become good with, footwork/weapon familiarity/timing are all different and you can't expect instant results.

Offline Mlekce

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
  • Remove kebab
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 12, 2012, 07:20:50 pm »
well it is still better then my 2h,and i am bigginer in 1h,and i was playin with 2h for 3-4 gens. :lol: So yeah,maybie 1h is good afterall.

Offline Penitent

• King
  • Renown: 1389
  • Infamy: 220
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Penitent_Turtler
« Reply #48 on: June 12, 2012, 07:23:15 pm »
If you only have 3 athletics, I'd recommend using a sword for reach.

What kind of shield are you using?

Offline Mlekce

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
  • Remove kebab
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 12, 2012, 09:00:14 pm »
Round shield. :D It is big,very big.

Offline Penitent

• King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 12, 2012, 09:05:59 pm »
Round shield. :D It is big,very big.

Yes, that one has nice side-to-side coverage.
I was asking because once you can use a stronger shield, it's ok to take a shorter weapon.  This is because you'll have to take a hit or two while you get in range of your opponent.

With your current build and shield, I'd still recommend a longer (90 length or more) weapon.  But try different ones out!  You may be surprised that you take naturally to one or another.

Offline BaleOhay

• Marshall
  • Renown: 789
  • Infamy: 229
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: BS
« Reply #51 on: June 12, 2012, 09:08:06 pm »
5 alth is fine with my Iberian. With or without a shield I do well with it. Herald with tabard is my usual armor and a round shield. Tho I prefer the heavy round
Leader of BS

Offline Lt_Anders

• King
  • Renown: 1049
  • Infamy: 651
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Man, I still play this shit?
    • View Profile
    • Drowtales
  • Faction: Astralis
  • Game nicks: Anders_Astralis
« Reply #52 on: June 12, 2012, 09:42:01 pm »
I'd say the most important thing about being 1h/shield is to never let a fight drag on. The quicker you finish the opponet the better. If you can't do that, run the hell away.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Mlekce

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
  • Remove kebab
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 12, 2012, 09:50:00 pm »
well today is better. i can't describe pleasure when i kill some 2h that i couldn't kill as 2h. :lol:
Only thing that i realy hate is tw that i get a lot. In clusterfucks i get 2-3 th usualy. I can't say that i am better cuz i tk 2 dudes,but that is realy big problem.

Offline Penitent

• King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 12, 2012, 09:58:32 pm »
I'd say the most important thing about being 1h/shield is to never let a fight drag on. The quicker you finish the opponet the better. If you can't do that, run the hell away.

See, I find the opposite is true.  As a shielder I find that patience is a virtue.  You can't kill as fast as a 2h or pole user, and they want to kill fast...so use that to your advantage. 
They WILL mess up eventually with blocking.  You will NOT...not while you have a shield.  Therefore, time is on your side.
Then again, I use a MP kite shield so it takes a long time to break it.  Still, I think patience is golden.

Only thing that i realy hate is tw that i get a lot. In clusterfucks i get 2-3 th usualy. I can't say that i am better cuz i tk 2 dudes,but that is realy big problem.

Yes, this is a problem.  Because you have to get closer, team hits will come.  Just be careful and don't be too eager if you see lots of teamies going after 1 guy.  Wear medium armor or better to defend against team its.  It's really unfortunate.  No one notices or cares about the little shielder in the fray.  :(

:P

Offline Lt_Anders

• King
  • Renown: 1049
  • Infamy: 651
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Man, I still play this shit?
    • View Profile
    • Drowtales
  • Faction: Astralis
  • Game nicks: Anders_Astralis
« Reply #55 on: June 12, 2012, 10:10:59 pm »
See, I find the opposite is true.  As a shielder I find that patience is a virtue.  You can't kill as fast as a 2h or pole user, and they want to kill fast...so use that to your advantage. 
They WILL mess up eventually with blocking.  You will NOT...not while you have a shield.  Therefore, time is on your side.
Then again, I use a MP kite shield so it takes a long time to break it.  Still, I think patience is golden.

I've only done about 2-3 gens of 23 as a 1h. one 24/15 the other 18/18 and a third gen as a HC with 1h, no sheild. Of those 3, the best was the HC mainly because of the ranged component, followed by a tie between the other two. In all honesty, fighting 2h is boring and sucks especially if they are in heavy armor. (Gear used as 1h is Brown lion, Broad 1h battle axe, and a sword. I wear the black lameller MW to 41 armor. Nothing else loomed as a 1h.)

Now for kill time: If you start dueling, it's not worth it to protract the fight Kill them in 3 hits or find a new target. The longer you duel an opponet the more chances your fight starts to become interfered with. Just my experience as a i've played nearly all melee classes makes me say kill the opponent quick regardless of class(1h/2h/pole).

Offline TheAppleSauceMan

• Duke
  • Renown: 553
  • Infamy: 39
  • cRPG Player
  • dear god I hate throwers
    • View Profile
    • Look and you'll enjoy.
  • Faction: Dracul, RUFF RYDERS
  • Game nicks: Dracul_AppleSauce_FieldBauss | Wiff Khalifa | U_Having_A_Giggle_M8
« Reply #56 on: June 12, 2012, 11:26:10 pm »
I went a gen as shielder recently, did the 21/15 you're aiming for. I used a +3 Steel Pick and let me say, that thing hits like a train and is incredibly nice overall. I think once you get used to the length, it's amazing. And 5 ath was plenty for me. And I topped the scoreboards most of the time I played with it, so it must be good considering I never played shielder before that. :P
I'm rock, nerf paper, scissors is fine. Welcome to c-RPG.

Offline Taser

• King
  • Renown: 1447
  • Infamy: 82
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook
    • View Profile
  • Faction: TKoV
  • Game nicks: Alfred_Taser_of_TKoV
« Reply #57 on: June 13, 2012, 12:52:14 am »
I'm trying out a 21/18 build. Fun so far. Since I want to have a ranged backup for strat, I went xbow in case I need to be xbow.

Went

7 PS
6 Ath
5 Shield
5 WM

120 1h
105 xbow

Not too bad so far. Using a KAS atm but might switch to pick. Picks hit so hard that the length handicap is easy to ignore.

Offline Mlekce

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
  • Remove kebab
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 13, 2012, 12:53:36 am »
swords are bad they glance a lot,and dmg is poor. I am gonna buy +3 warhammer. But i don't know its real price on market. :|

Offline Taser

• King
  • Renown: 1447
  • Infamy: 82
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook
    • View Profile
  • Faction: TKoV
  • Game nicks: Alfred_Taser_of_TKoV
« Reply #59 on: June 13, 2012, 12:56:47 am »
Nah swords are fine especially with 7 PS. They don't hit as hard as picks or warhammer but swords still do well. Warhammer is fun though. Blunt damage plus knockdown is nice.