Author Topic: Day Z mod for ARMA II  (Read 143129 times)

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: Day Z mod for ARMA II
« Reply #1275 on: February 27, 2013, 08:02:08 am »
Eh, zeds still zig zag quite a lot, which is my #1 problem with the game

Offline Jarlek

• King
  • Renown: 1173
  • Infamy: 307
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The walking wiki
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarlek_The_Blue, Jarla, Jarlen, Jarler, Jarlec, Jarled OH GOD ALL THESE ALTS
  • IRC nick: Jarlek
« Reply #1276 on: February 27, 2013, 01:43:04 pm »
Anyone tried DayZ: invasion 1944 yet? 'Tis pretty great.  :P
Sounds interesting. What do I need to download in addition to basic DayZ?
This game isn't about being skillful as much as its about saying things in general chat that enrage people who then go to murder you but in their rage they make dumb mistakes which gets them killed.
In memory of Jarlek_zeh_Blue, ruler of Ilvia

Offline Butan

• King
  • Renown: 1713
  • Infamy: 214
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Best tincan EU
    • View Profile
« Reply #1277 on: February 27, 2013, 04:40:43 pm »
Eh, zeds still zig zag quite a lot, which is my #1 problem with the game

Yeah ive been over enthusiast, Z' still go through objects and hit through stuff and all the bullshit; maybe less than before but still enough to make me a bit sad :P patchlog was over-hyped me thinks

Also you can craft a quiver to hold 6 bolts/arrows but you still cant salvage the ammo from the dead Z'  :lol:

Offline Weren

• Duke
  • Renown: 588
  • Infamy: 18
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
  • Game nicks: irc://Weren
« Reply #1278 on: February 27, 2013, 06:13:40 pm »
Sounds interesting. What do I need to download in addition to basic DayZ?
Apparently DayZ: I44 is Sixlauncher and DayZ Commander exclusive. So get either one of those and just download the mod from the launcher.
Also remember to move/delete @CBA_CO folder after the installation in your main Operation Arrowhead folder, otherwise you'll get bad performance and few other problems.
Free speech is about to become terrorism.

Offline serr

• OKAM Developer
  • Renown: 293
  • Infamy: 19
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Wataga
« Reply #1279 on: February 27, 2013, 07:35:49 pm »
Tried to play today - after 20 minutes cheater came and killed everyone on server. Nothing changed.
Anyone know good private server?

Offline peter_afca7

• Count
  • Renown: 224
  • Infamy: 113
    • View Profile
  • Faction: BLABLA
  • Game nicks: BLABLABLA
« Reply #1280 on: March 02, 2013, 02:08:50 pm »
Tried to play today - after 20 minutes cheater came and killed everyone on server. Nothing changed.
Anyone know good private server?
http://balotabuddies.net/

Offline Weren

• Duke
  • Renown: 588
  • Infamy: 18
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
  • Game nicks: irc://Weren
« Reply #1281 on: March 09, 2013, 12:49:20 am »
Free speech is about to become terrorism.

Offline Dach

• Earl
  • Renown: 444
  • Infamy: 92
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Dach_BRD / SNSD_Taeyeon
« Reply #1282 on: March 09, 2013, 08:22:38 am »
Like the improvement, this game is going to be great!  :D
A lot of people in the NA community know that Dach rages and in the process of his uncontrollable rage, he tends to kick people.

You've been warned! :twisted:

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #1283 on: March 09, 2013, 03:21:36 pm »
Lookin good

Offline Nessaj

• King
  • Renown: 1399
  • Infamy: 176
  • cRPG Player Madam Black Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • ▃ ▅ ▅ ▅ ▄ ▅ ▇ ▅ ▄ ▅ ▇
    • View Profile
    • Vanguard
  • Faction: Vanguard
  • Game nicks: Vanguard_Cooties
  • IRC nick: Nessaj
« Reply #1284 on: March 09, 2013, 11:45:53 pm »
+1
The movements and animations still seem a bit clunky though, too much like ArmA 2 and in general it looks much more like a slightly polished ArmA 2, which is a shame because ArmA 3 is great, BIS really fixed all the issues ArmA 2 had with its clunky movements and weapons handling, everything is much more fluent now, plus it looks fantastic. If DayZ Standalone doesn't have those core fixes that ArmA 3 has I personally doubt that I would bother to play it because ArmA 3 and its mods are just as fun at the moment. Wasteland mod is quite fun in ArmA 3, 1000x more than in ArmA 2. I can never go back to the ArmA 2 engine now, already uninstalled it :P
Things don't exist simply because you believe in them, thus sayeth the almighty creature in the sky!

Offline Casimir

• King
  • Renown: 1756
  • Infamy: 271
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The Dashing Templar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Templar
  • Game nicks: Templar_Casimir
  • IRC nick: Casimir
« Reply #1285 on: March 10, 2013, 12:43:40 am »
I don't see why he would still be using the ArmA II engine. Considering ArmA III was in development before he announced the stand alone DayZ I simply assumed he would be building in in the ArmA III engine.  could of course be wrong but only seems logical.
Turtles

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #1286 on: March 10, 2013, 11:46:20 am »
+1
I don't see why he would still be using the ArmA II engine. Considering ArmA III was in development before he announced the stand alone DayZ I simply assumed he would be building in in the ArmA III engine.  could of course be wrong but only seems logical.

Well they keep saying they're building their own engine, but it's core is still ArmA II. Kind of a bad decision there, if you ask me. Would be much better off with ArmA III, like Nessaj said.

Btw they already ported Wasteland mod to ArmA III? :0 Damn you Nessaj, now I've gone and bought ArmA III because of you. (well, other "reviews" helped as well)
« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 01:18:51 pm by Vibe »

Offline Zaalback

• Count
  • Renown: 254
  • Infamy: 64
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Grey Order
  • Game nicks: Zaalback
« Reply #1287 on: March 15, 2013, 05:44:56 pm »
With Day-Z standalone on Arma III engine who would actually be buying Arma III separately?

Day-Z 2 will probably use Arma III updated engine at the time of BI's next gen title development(Arma IV??).

I think and i'm almost sure that for DayZ stand-alone , they are using a heavily modified version , of "Take on Helicopters"'s engine (RV3.5) , with also code from arma III. I think it won't be better than arma III but, slightly better and smoother  than arma II OA which uses RV3 engine .
« Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 07:39:16 pm by Zaalback »

Offline Nessaj

• King
  • Renown: 1399
  • Infamy: 176
  • cRPG Player Madam Black Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • ▃ ▅ ▅ ▅ ▄ ▅ ▇ ▅ ▄ ▅ ▇
    • View Profile
    • Vanguard
  • Faction: Vanguard
  • Game nicks: Vanguard_Cooties
  • IRC nick: Nessaj
« Reply #1288 on: March 16, 2013, 11:20:18 am »
And I never claimed anything other than that.

Think of it this way:

1. "Bohemia Interactive" (BI) is a company with a lot of side projects ("VBS", "Take on Helicopters", etc.)
2. "Day-Z standalone game" is a side project as well / they support it
3. "Day-Z mod" *probably* sold more copies of "Arma II game" than "Arma II game" alone did, which is something that CAN'T be ignored by BI
4. To have "Day-Z standalone game" ship on "Arma III engine" would be like shooting yourself in the foot because a big chunk of Arma community, Day-Z  players, would *probably* not purchase "Arma III game"
5. This is a perfect solution IMO - "Day-Z standalone game" gets released on an upgraded engine and "Arma III game" remains a profitable project and an improved modding platorm

Completely disagree.
  • Overall, people who bought ArmA 2 for DayZ will buy DayZ Standalone instead of ArmA 3.
  • People who buy ArmA 3 won't buy DayZ standalone.
The best solution would have been to funnel all those buyers into ArmA 3, sell off DayZ as a DLC for the engine. Keep everything together in one strong community.
Not only would it then also benefit all the other modders but it would also [further] boost the ArmA 3 sales.

There's no chance the modded ArmA 2 engine will be remotely anywhere near the excellence of ArmA 3, and so far the preliminary leaks from those who play DayZ Alpha aren't good.

ArmA 3 is a supreme product, far beyond the dated, bloated, and faulty ArmA 2 engine. There's already a handful of promising mods and more coming, even dynamic zombie sandboxes, which in their very buggy pre-alpha stages are already just as fun as DayZ due to ArmA 3's enhancements, from everything to movements, bullet registration, weapons, items, vehicles, sounds, the settings (Stratis island or the big forest/hill map), even the zombie sounds in these new mods are better than DayZ ever had. Who here isn't also extremely tired of Chernarus as well?

No doubt the DayZ Standalone will sell, and ArmA 3 surely will too, but overall the decision to not use ArmA 3 as a whole is wrong, a fact easily proven by all the great early mods available at the moment.

I for one, and likewise for everyone I personally know who pre-ordered ArmA 3, won't buy the DayZ standalone unless the beta test proves extremely entertaining, free of all ArmA 2 issues and full of ArmA 3 enhancements, anything else would feel hugely inadequate because ArmA 3 already provides plenty of entertaining in the same genre, and if the early mod versions are any indication of the future then I'd personally much rather play ArmA 3 mods than anything ever related to the ArmA 2 engine again, ever, no matter how much duck-tape they plaster on it.

Think of it this way:
  • Total War releases a new TW game on a new engine. It fixes all of the issues the former engine had, adds graphics 100 times better than the latter engine, supplies a wide range of mods that early on looks extremely promising.
  • They then also releases a game in the former engine, let's say a mod campaign, with only a handful of the enhancements the new engine will have.
Why would you even consider buying the game built on the old patched engine, instead of the new game which offers a much better experience plus the same type of entertainment via mods.

There's an extremely high chance of ArmA 3 competing against DayZ Standalone, essentially costing BI money due to lost sales.

Patience is a virtue.
Things don't exist simply because you believe in them, thus sayeth the almighty creature in the sky!

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #1289 on: March 16, 2013, 12:15:45 pm »
+1
^ Basically this.

First off, I didn't buy Arma III because of DayZ mod, I bought it because Arma III. I love what they've done to it, how much it improved over Arma II. I love this type of shooters. On top of that, it is a huge, moddable sandbox. I love that Arma III is a real PC game. There is no console porting bullshit here, it has full mod support right from the start (alpha), which is incredible. Not to mention I see BIS devs posting on the forum every day.

All very well explained here:

And here: http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?148232-ArmA-3-is-a-Beacon-of-Light

And again, just like Nessaj said, I'm afraid DayZ SA just won't match the quality of Arma III. There is little chance they make the game play as good as Arma III.
Will it have more features with zombies and loot and survival than Arma III? Yes, probably. But will it play and look better? No chance.

Not to mention modders will go wild with modding in Arma III now after DayZ mod's success. They all know now that a well made mod with a unique idea has a great chance of attracting many people, just like with DayZ mod. I bet we'll see some incredible mods soon - on top of the awesome ones already imported from Arma II.