Author Topic: Endless Space - For all you 4X lovers out there  (Read 3580 times)

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: Endless Space - For all you 4X lovers out there
« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2013, 02:02:59 pm »
The first SotS is a somewhat fast paced 4X game, with very limited micromanagement (next to none) and focus on strategic decisions, whilst also having rather sweet space combat, that you can control in real time.

Nice. I see it has ship design (which I did not like that much in moo2 actually, I found it time consuming) and research looks neat.

Offline kinngrimm

• King
  • Renown: 1026
  • Infamy: 320
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • The Betrayer of Nations
  • Faction: Wolves of Fenris
  • Game nicks: kinngrimm, Karma
  • IRC nick: kinngrimm
« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2013, 02:50:31 pm »
ship design is quite usefull in SotS, and scraping ships also ^^, there are if i remember correctly also techs which increase effency of scraping and i just love the repair ships.

you can play production mosnters spamming low lvl ships and still win in the long run or build strong armored high tech molechs who rip appart nearly anything.

You can focus fire on different ship systems, which may seem a bit mirco intense but it is just a double click. Depending on your ships speed and weapon layout you can skirmish and keep out of enemy weapon range. Cloaks actually work in the battle screen as also on the strategic map and be countered by radar techs you would need to research.
Pimping up your troop capacity, so you can have a couple of more ships in one fleet also has a huge impact.

And in Multiplayer i just love it in the public chat, when you try to communicate and haven't yet developed the language of the other players race, you see fish vocals or bird zirpzirp :)

Personally i like the Hivers most. You are very slow in the beginning, but if you set foot on the ground, it needs a really big effort of the enemy to get you out of a system again.
Friend of me has mastered the Zuul ... man is he a pain in the ars ^^
All races have so different playstyles it gives a huge impact on the atmosphere.

And then there are the Grand Menaces *shakeshead* i haven't seen all of them yet, but when they come either run and hide or just die in a mass exodus. Some can be handled in later game state , some start out rather inocent and get creepy powerfull over time *Puppetmaster*  :shock:

Then you can have the big time fail in research when you get too greedy in the AI research
(click to show/hide)

Multiplier matches also are greatly solved in the way that people can join in and out while AI takes over or new players take over those AI players when they later on join in (again').

Most amazing is still the tech tree, i rarely had a game where i fully researched nearly everything. really well balanced!
learn from the past, live the moment, dream of the future

Offline [ptx]

• King
  • Renown: 1871
  • Infamy: 422
  • such OP. so bundle of sticks. wow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2013, 02:54:28 pm »
I've played SotS a fuckton (albeit only in singleplayer) since it is so addictive, but i still don't get it - how do you play as Zuul? They just seem so terribly underpowered?

Terrans are probably the easiest to start out with and have the fastest expansion early on.

Offline kinngrimm

• King
  • Renown: 1026
  • Infamy: 320
    • View Profile
    • The Betrayer of Nations
  • Faction: Wolves of Fenris
  • Game nicks: kinngrimm, Karma
  • IRC nick: kinngrimm
« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2013, 04:04:11 pm »
well the node system needs constant maintenance, but where you really need to get over is that you harvest ressources for good. So you deplete your worlds and only by getting new worlds you can keep the machine running. That then combined with tons of slaves if you make a lucky grab. You are mostly low tech zerg ... huge numbers win and with the ability to grab techs from your victories you maintain research balance. Also you need to safe up quite some gold for keeping moral high.
I would need to ask my friend for a more in depth discription but that is what i got out of his playstyle by observation.

He is able to hold back at least 2-3 mediocre to good players, then he but told me about some real addicts with 4k+ hours of ingame experience where him and others massed up on a single dude with all in all 4 to 5 players and the single addict is still able to win in 4 out of 5 games with whatever race he choses to play.

So depening how much time you really want to invest into the math behind this game and get better in all areas ressource management, fleet composition, ship design, core research for your race + overall core research what everyone should have to be prepared, when not to colonize a planet(there is a formula which tells you when it is just inefficent), mastering the available battle options ...
you can become quite a monster in this game and the multiplayer experience is the real challange here as in most of the games on the market.

ptx add me in steam(kinngrimm) and we can have a go and i introduce you to my friend who definetly knows more about this game then i do.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 04:07:30 pm by kinngrimm »
learn from the past, live the moment, dream of the future

Offline Kafein

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2013, 11:20:26 pm »
There's something confusing me though. I own the "complete collection" and the "argos naval yard expansion", which one is the most "complete" ?

Offline [ptx]

• King
  • Renown: 1871
  • Infamy: 422
  • such OP. so bundle of sticks. wow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2013, 11:21:36 pm »
Complete should include Argos.

Offline Kafein

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 15, 2013, 11:31:01 pm »
I feel shame for my last post, seems I was struck by the "too lazy to search" syndrome.

And yes the complete collection includes argos, I have no idea why there was one copy of the stock game, one with argos and yet also the complete collection in the package. But honestly, I got 30 games including all M&B and paradox studio titles for 70 euros.

Offline Ninja_Khorin

• King
  • Renown: 1067
  • Infamy: 90
  • Zen
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Clan Ninja
  • Game nicks: Khorin/Keyoke/Lujan
  • IRC nick: Khorin

Offline Clockworkkiller

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 872
  • Infamy: 573
  • cRPG Player
  • I shit dopamine
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Clockworkkiller
« Reply #38 on: June 03, 2013, 05:28:07 am »
Galatic civilzations 2, anyone? Ahhhhhh....good times, good, good times
You are a horrible human being clockwork.

If i ever get muted on forums, contact me on crpg.net