Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls Online  (Read 46254 times)

Offline Molly

• King
  • Renown: 1860
  • Infamy: 693
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • For the glorious Khorin...
  • Game nicks: Molly
Re: The Elder Scrolls Online
« Reply #210 on: January 11, 2014, 11:45:26 am »
+3
Funny. I've hardly played any game that went as quickly boring as GW2 for me.
When west germany annexed east germany, nobody moved a finger too.

Offline IR_Kuoin

• King
  • Renown: 1761
  • Infamy: 331
  • cRPG Player
  • What too write here?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigåde
  • Game nicks: KuoiN, Ziath
  • IRC nick: Simply Kuoin
« Reply #211 on: January 11, 2014, 12:18:01 pm »
+1
So I played for around 85 minutes yesterday when the beta launched. Made a High elf so I started in Elsweyr. The environment was pretty good, and I spent some time exploring. Now for the starting part it was very dull, just like any other Scrolls game, prisoner bla bla bla all that shit. The combat was really nothing to look forward too. Its a Scrolls game so its feels like hitting a ragdoll. The combat consist of normal strikes, and heavy strikes. You can interrupt and block your opponents just like in Skyrim, and dodge has been added. Dragonknight which was the class I tried out used endurance for spells, and after leveling up you could pick between magic, endurance and health. I noticed that endurance only gave you + 10 while health gave you + 20. The map is a little tricky-ish, you can't move your character around while holding up the map, only walk forward. The inventory is pretty good, with good sorting from armor, junk, weapons etc.

I know its a beta but the character models and animations were pretty lame, if they had made the models and animations less "mmo-ish" I feel I would have stayed longer. At the start of the game in the tutorial level you get to pick what weapon you prefer, staffs, twohanded (only a mace ...), dual axes, sword and shield and a bow. It was pretty easy to see what they had attempted. A "Skyrim" with other players around. The quests were pretty lame, just kill this guy get the item. Find this item for me etc. More or less fetch and kill quests, then backtrack. I wanted to test out the PvP before I logged off, but could sadly not find it.

Something I also noticed was that the male character creation page was pretty lazy. Orcs had the same body as any other race more or less expect Argonians and Kahjits (which only had a little bit of fur). They had just put a different face style and color on the face part, the body was identical to the other races.

That is what I have to say about this game so far.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Thovex

• Marshall
  • Renown: 851
  • Infamy: 210
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguard
  • Game nicks: Thovex
« Reply #212 on: January 11, 2014, 01:04:29 pm »
+1
I think that this game feels like Skyrim, the animations a bit worse however, looks pretty decent graphics wise etc.

However it's not a real MMORPG (atleast right now), basically what I'm doing is singleplayer quests which I could be doing in Skyrim and while I do this I see other people on the map doing exactly the same thing.

Offline Banok

• Duke
  • Renown: 521
  • Infamy: 215
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: January 11, 2014, 01:35:30 pm »
+2
It didn't really feel like skyrim at all to me. not entirely sure why, maybe I need to replay skyrim but I liked skyrims quests/combat enough to play 118 hours. combat/quests in ESO feels much more like generic mmo stuff to me.

Its probably the addition of the usual mmo tropes breaking my immersion, I'll try and list some;
-seeing other players doing same thing, your not really the hero just player #93921
-mobs not attacking until you are 5 metres away, respawn every 60 seconds
-knowing there is no penalty for dieing, and the only "challenge" is leveling up
-standard mmo classes/abilities, ie obligatory fire 100 arrows into the air at once "spell"

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: January 11, 2014, 01:57:31 pm »
I tested it yesterday and it was really "meh". Quests = boring. Combat = boring. Models and animations = bad. Pretty much just as I expected. Wonder if the end game will be something of worth.

Offline Leesin

• King
  • Renown: 1009
  • Infamy: 230
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Leesin
« Reply #215 on: January 11, 2014, 02:06:17 pm »
+3
Played it for a little while, played an Orc Templar, the character creation is nice and I also think the ability system looks quite good so far. The combat vs NPC's didn't feel that fun as others have pointed out, maybe because it's not much different from the normal ES shit but without the awesome mods I can use.

There is too much emphasis on "go to x and retrieve y" in quests, I made it off the "nooby island" to the next place and straight away they're giving me the same sort of really boring quests where I found myself just ignoring what they had to say, running back and forth between markers. I can understand they're trying to make it seem like there's a ton of quests to do like in an ES game but it just doesn't work when none of the quests are remotely interesting and none of them are difficult in a good way. Infact none of them are difficult at all and I found myself zoning out and growing bored of the game soon after I got onto the second area, at which point I stopped playing.

I also feel so tied down to the local shitty quests that it has removed a big part of the ES game feel for me, which is freedom and exploration, the game does look nice for an MMORPG but you don't really enjoy it when you feel like an ant going back and forth between markers just so you can progress in the game.

So yeah, it is similar to other MMORPGs out there, but in a bad way, it does have its good points but it's not a good sign that I got bored and quit playing at about level 5. I would have liked to try out PvP but I don't really know how to do so or if it's even possible as PvP will be the only reason I play this game if it's any good, which I'm really unsure about right now.

Offline Sniger

• Marshall
  • Renown: 795
  • Infamy: 442
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: January 11, 2014, 02:19:05 pm »
erhm... its a MMO. what did you expect? honestly :) seems abit like you played skyrim and then expect ESO to be exactly like that, which is not possible. :)

playing to lvl 5 and then review the game is abit harsh too :p

Offline Thovex

• Marshall
  • Renown: 851
  • Infamy: 210
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguard
  • Game nicks: Thovex
« Reply #217 on: January 11, 2014, 02:22:44 pm »
erhm... its a MMO. what did you expect? honestly :) seems abit like you played skyrim and then expect ESO to be exactly like that, which is not possible. :)

The problem is that you level up like a goddamn snail, which is fine...

Except that it's not fine if you don't have fun levelling up in this game, which is the case since you run around like idiot for hours.

Offline Leesin

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: January 11, 2014, 02:25:50 pm »
+2

Never said I expected it to be like the singleplayer ES games, what I hoped for was not another cookie cutter MMO, just because a games an MMO doesn't mean it has to consist of a thousand boring "go to x retrieve y" quests. And played Skyrim? Bitch I played ES games since Arena  :lol:. What I was hoping for is an MMO that will do the ES series justice, not just another boring MMO where you do a thousand quests and only remember some of them because they were the most boring and annoying quests, not because they were good or fun.

I didn't "review" the game either, I gave my first impressions of the game and I got so bored by level 5 I couldn't play anymore. PVP will be the only saving grace for this game from where I sit, IF it's good, which I havent got to test yet because I can't even be bothered to load the game up to face more mind numbing quests.

Offline Banok

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: January 11, 2014, 03:25:42 pm »
Yeah level 5 is a long time in this game. I wonder if it will have a flat level curve like gw2, otherwise it might be quite an insane grind.

Offline LordBerenger

• King
  • Renown: 1492
  • Infamy: 859
  • cRPG Player
  • Jesus is the savior of Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: January 11, 2014, 03:46:55 pm »
Do you start in the land of your own race? Like Khajiits for Elsweyr etc...?

Offline Olwen

• Earl
  • Renown: 419
  • Infamy: 222
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
  • A shadow among others
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: January 11, 2014, 03:50:06 pm »
You start in the land of your side (dominion side for example) ^^

High elf sorcerer lvl 7 here

So far, I'm really not convinced this is worth more than 5$

Offline Leesin

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: January 11, 2014, 03:52:59 pm »
Do you start in the land of your own race? Like Khajiits for Elsweyr etc...?

From what I have made out from playing is that each Alliance has its own remote starting zone, well it seems that way. I'm playing Orc so I am apart of the Daggerfall Covenant, along with the Bretons and the Redguards, the other two alliances have the gay and furry races.

Offline Banok

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: January 11, 2014, 04:25:23 pm »
+1
there is a starting island for each 3 factions, ive done each. I feel like maybe if they had narrowed it down to 1 then the quests could have actually been interesting, but an mmo demands quantity over quality I suppose. which is genuinely a shame.

I haven't actually had any kill 10 goblins or collect 10 goblin drops quests, so you can tell they are trying to emulate ES quests by having you mostly do talking to people but they just aren't interesting so it does just become "go to the marker".

Offline Olwen

• Earl
  • Renown: 419
  • Infamy: 222
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
  • A shadow among others
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: January 11, 2014, 05:14:00 pm »
Truth be told, I haven't read any quest I've done so far, just getting the main info and following the dot on the map

and there was only 1 puzzle so far which was for retards, 4 buttons to press in the good order

traps don't even kill, they deal minor damage