Author Topic: What is the point of upkeep?  (Read 11685 times)

Offline Shamlow

• Peasant
  • Renown: 8
  • Infamy: 39
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: What is the point of upkeep?
« Reply #135 on: April 26, 2012, 12:51:19 am »
do you not understand all the old veterans had to put in hours and hours of gruelling peasant warfare to get to where they are now

Ya good call man, everyone should have to put in hours and hours to get a chance to actually play this game. Just because you did it doesn't mean everyone else should have to do it. You should be the first one to say, Hey that was a little unnecessary having the grind be that bad. That isn't what you are saying, you want this game to stay with a steady population of 500 people. Because you are just super cool I guess, and everyone that has the potential to play this game is a retard.

Offline BlindGuy

• Marshall
  • Renown: 996
  • Infamy: 583
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • De oppresso liber et plus ultra.
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: April 26, 2012, 12:53:16 am »
+1
Also, you dont have to wait to get to high levels, you can make a skip the fun character at any time, instantly level 30, with a free 10k gold to buy some stuff with. Try out a style you are unsure of.

ABOUT getting onehit: You complain more than once about this, being one hit: That wont change by level, only by gear, but the idea of the combat system in mount and blade is that you dont NEED to get hit, this isnt some MMO where you fire your abilites at an opponent while they fire at you, whoever has the highest DPS/HP wins. It doesnt work that way, your blocking speed is NOT affected by being low level, and as everyone here can tell you, as a peasant, all you need to be doing to play your part is to support your teammates. At first this might mean standing behind them poke-pokeing with a pitchfork at any cavalry that try to flank/gank, but as the battle progresses and you find yourself being attacked, just blocking is a MASSIVE help, heres how:

A spammy 2hander is fighting your polespammer/2hander, while they are fighting, stand on your teammates left side, and block all attacks the bad guy makes at you, or at your friends left. This gives your big strong friend an opening, when he WOULD be having to block without you there, to smite that badguy in the face. YOUVE WON! This is a team game, and sure, in nice gear with a massive shiney weapon you look like a badass, but there is NOONE with ANY gear selection that can win in a fight vs an organised and carefully executed gank.

AND ONCE MORE: NOONE AT LEVEL 1 IS AFFECTED BY UPKEEP BECAUSE YOU CANNOT CHANGE THE FACT THAT AT LEVEL 1 YOU ONLY HAVE 3 STRENGH AND 3 AGILITY SO PLEASE STOP IGNORING WHAT IS BEING TYPED TO YOU.

Also, the grind to stop being a peasant takes about 4 hours, if you are VERY unlucky with your gear. So stop whineing. Its fun to be a peasant again, just getting thru a fight unscathed is an achievement, I'm sorry that you feel GEAR=SKILL because it doesnt and never will.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 12:55:39 am by BlindGuy »
I don't know enough

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline zottlmarsch

• King
  • Renown: 1114
  • Infamy: 162
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Burg Krems (Founder)
  • Game nicks: Eberhart & Juta von Krems
  • IRC nick: Dan
« Reply #137 on: April 26, 2012, 12:54:50 am »
Ya good call man, everyone should have to put in hours and hours to get a chance to actually play this game. Just because you did it doesn't mean everyone else should have to do it. You should be the first one to say, Hey that was a little unnecessary having the grind be that bad. That isn't what you are saying, you want this game to stay with a steady population of 500 people. Because you are just super cool I guess, and everyone that has the potential to play this game is a retard.

I'd rather have the current '500' old timers then a bunch of newcomers who don't understand the mod and whine all the time. just saying...

...yes I am super cool, thank you for the compliment kind sir :D
« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 01:04:54 am by zottlmarsch »

Offline micah243

• Knight
  • Renown: 51
  • Infamy: 38
  • cRPG Player
  • Lord_Tinsley Arthur_Dane
    • View Profile
  • Faction: BW
  • Game nicks: Lord_tinsley Arthur_Dane
« Reply #138 on: April 26, 2012, 12:55:24 am »
Listen you fucktard retarded mother fucker! If someone is already rich as shit, why when they go retire should they get a discount again??? So they can get MORE money at a discount?? What keeps players from respecing at a certain level so they can go back down to the low levels and grind gold at a better upkeep discount? You are seriously the dumbest mother fucker who ever lived... This is my last post here.

Again, I URGEEEE a mod to just shut this topic down... The guy is literally retarded. And everyone knows retards shouldnt be allowed the right to speak.

Anyone reading this please do not reply any more to this topic... YOU ARE FEEDING THE TROLL!

Offline micah243

• Knight
  • Renown: 51
  • Infamy: 38
  • cRPG Player
  • Lord_Tinsley Arthur_Dane
    • View Profile
  • Faction: BW
  • Game nicks: Lord_tinsley Arthur_Dane
« Reply #139 on: April 26, 2012, 12:58:02 am »

Offline RamsesXXIIX

• Count
  • Renown: 252
  • Infamy: 65
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Yes, I prey on the weak.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Ramses
« Reply #140 on: April 26, 2012, 01:11:45 am »
+4
I agree with Shamlow.

Remove upkeep for people under level 25 at first generation. No need to punish these newcomers, they will receive upkeep later anyway.

(Bring the flames) :o

Offline Jarlek

• King
  • Renown: 1173
  • Infamy: 307
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The walking wiki
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarlek_The_Blue, Jarla, Jarlen, Jarler, Jarlec, Jarled OH GOD ALL THESE ALTS
  • IRC nick: Jarlek
« Reply #141 on: April 26, 2012, 01:19:55 am »
I agree with Shamlow.

Remove upkeep for people under level 25 at first generation. No need to punish these newcomers, they will receive upkeep later anyway.

(Bring the flames) :o
How odd. I have this strange feeling of deja vu!

EDIT:
(click to show/hide)

EDIT2: Shamlow. Nice of you wanting to improve the mod, but there are some people here you really ought to listen to. The upkeep here is for a very good reason and they explained it. Raging at them doesn't really work. Look, if you write down your arguments in one post (bulletpoints would help out a lot) I can try to help out by fleshing out the various reasons, ok?

That being said. You DO have a point in that this game is too hard on new players. But thrust me, removing upkeep would make it worse. Sure, it also screws new players over, but having NO upkeep would make it even worse. Unless something else took over for upkeep, it would all soon be a) bland and b) completely horrible for new guys. And if you got an alternative suggestion to upkeep, PLEASE post it.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 01:38:07 am by Zapper »
This game isn't about being skillful as much as its about saying things in general chat that enrage people who then go to murder you but in their rage they make dumb mistakes which gets them killed.
In memory of Jarlek_zeh_Blue, ruler of Ilvia

Offline Shamlow

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: April 26, 2012, 01:57:20 am »
I'm with you. I don't want to take upkeep out altogether, but please for the love of god let's help the new gen1 characters out a little. Taking upkeep off the low levels will not ruin the game, and just maybe it will help get more people into the game. Which would be great for everyone.

Offline Shamlow

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: April 26, 2012, 02:06:12 am »
I understand upkeep and how it came to be, I've read that thread about respec and how it affected the game. I get why the change in upkeep happened. What I don't think many people realize is the effect it has had on new gen1 characters.

Offline Sarpton

• Count
  • Renown: 198
  • Infamy: 54
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Hurlbat
« Reply #144 on: April 26, 2012, 02:25:00 am »
+1
Sham I'm a new(ish) player myself and while I agree with some points you make,  I can and DO see the point of upkeep.  As far as I recall you dont pay up keep fist gen till lvl 25.   UNLESS you respec, at that point you begin to pay upkeep no matter what lvl. 

Now I could very well be wrong,  I also think that it takes into account your main/alt status as well.  I.E.  if you are playing an alt you pay upkeep,  if you are on a main that is below lvl 25 with out a respec on record then you do NOT pay upkeep.   And it is a flat 7% chance PER min of a round for armor and your weapon skill also mitigates your weapon upkeep as long as it is above 100 after armor weight calc.

Now if you could agree with me that first gen characters shouldn't pay upkeep to a certain lvl, then you can agree that upkeep DOES serve a purpose with out regard to how much you personally might disagree with its function, yes?

Offline Shamlow

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: April 26, 2012, 02:47:52 am »
That has been exactly my point this entire time. First gen lowbie players should not be paying any upkeep in my opinion, at least not what they are paying now. 

At the moment they do, I am 22 and paying upkeep. A friend who is level 11 is paying upkeep, I've been paying upkeep I think since level 9. Now if this is somehow a bug, then there is no reason to have this conversation.

Keep in mind, I am not saying upkeep should be completely taken out of the game.

Offline rustyspoon

• Marshall
  • Renown: 794
  • Infamy: 164
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Rustyspoon, Sir_Rusty_Of_Spoon, Rusty_the_Spoonarian
« Reply #146 on: April 26, 2012, 02:51:24 am »
Money is EASY to get in this mod even as a gen 1 character. My latest alt is level 26 wears 30k in gear and I have 29k in the bank. It's all about managing your money.

If you're using super-expensive gear, of course you're going to go broke. That's the point. Anyway, most people who play this mod DON'T use super-expensive gear. That's how we keep our gold in check. Just because gear is super-expensive doesn't mean it's good. There's a lot of really cheap gear that is fantastic.

There's one thing that I don't think anyone else has mentioned though, arrows have a greater upkeep chance than any other item. So if you're gen 1 and using 3 sets of bodkins, you'll probably go broke pretty fast.

Having 30k gear is more than enough to be competitive in this game. Hell, one of my alts does really well with only 12k in gear.

If you are having trouble keeping money in the bank it's because of what you are doing. Listen to what the people in this thread are saying, they know what they're talking about 'cause they've done it many, many times.

And honestly, if you think THIS is bad, you should have seen how it used to be for new players. You probably would have had a heart attack.

Offline Sarpton

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: April 26, 2012, 02:59:32 am »
Well,  then it looks like you guys are just gonna have to suck it up basically because honestly by the time any change would happen in theory you'll be 2nd gen at least.  So my advice(?)  is just throw on the drz mail get a cheaper weapon and try and have some fun for what it is that's what I did, once you stop focusing on how much it sucks you'll get more enjoyment out of it.  And if that doesn't work Pm me and maybe we can bitch about it to eachother lol.

Offline BlindGuy

• Marshall
  • Renown: 996
  • Infamy: 583
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • De oppresso liber et plus ultra.
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: April 26, 2012, 03:08:59 am »
A friend who is level 11 is paying upkeep, I've been paying upkeep I think since level 9.

First gen does not pay upkeep till lvl 20 I believe, if you have been and your friend still is, you should post in the Technical problems section of this forum, asking if that is correct, it may well have changed, but as far as I'm aware, gen 1 mains should not be paying till level 20.

If you ARE paying a lot, and dont have time to create a "buffer" of gold, try playing on server 3 (NA 3 or EU 3) for an hour or 2, there are no multipliers but also no upkeep.
I don't know enough

Offline Sarpton

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: April 26, 2012, 03:13:50 am »
+1
That's what I said unless you respec then you lose your no upkeep thing.