Author Topic: What is the point of upkeep?  (Read 11108 times)

Offline Shamlow

• Peasant
  • Renown: 8
  • Infamy: 39
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
What is the point of upkeep?
« on: April 24, 2012, 07:41:19 pm »

Offline dynamike

• King
  • Renown: 1212
  • Infamy: 187
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Let's be friends again?
    • View Profile
    • The Remnants Clan Website
  • Faction: Stratia
  • Game nicks: Remnant_dynamike
Re: What is the point of upkeep?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2012, 07:47:30 pm »
+4
Seriously, it's nothing but a money sink, which seems unimportant to mention.

Seriously, what the fuck.

First poster ever to conclude his own thread in the OP. Congrats!
For while the fire in the heart of a single Remnant still burns... can Stratia truly have fallen?

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2012, 07:50:42 pm »
+8
It's so that not everyone runs around the server on a cataphract horse in full plate mail.  If you are using 20,000 gold worth of gear or less you will make a lot of money.  If you are using 40-50k gold worth of gear you will lose a lot of money (over a generation).

After you retire at level 31 you get an heirloom point which can be used to improve one of your pieces of equipment.  A good suggestion would be to sell this point for about 600k gold, and then buy a +1 heirloomed item for 400-500k gold (and make 100-200k profit).  Then you wont' have to worry about money as much.

Your first generation is the most difficult with having to buy all your gear and worry about having enough money to actually use it once you buy it.  You'll most likely be a peasant most of your first generation.  or expect to go with your normal equipment, and then when you get poor play as a peasant and build up 10k gold (won't take long with cheap gear on).

But seriously, before you made a rage thread, you honestly didn't try to play devil's advocate and come up with any reasons why upkeep is in the game?  Seriously?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline Tristan

• Count
  • Renown: 200
  • Infamy: 52
  • cRPG Player
  • Listen to wisdom!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild (Guards)
  • Game nicks: Guard_Tristan
  • IRC nick: Guard_Tristan
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2012, 07:59:03 pm »
First poster ever to conclude his own thread in the OP. Congrats!

This :D
He is despised and rejected of men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief. He was oppressed, and he was afflicted, yet he opened his mouth.

Offline bukva2

• Peasant
  • Renown: 7
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2012, 08:31:49 pm »
Im loosing a lot of money it seems, my upkeep is a bit below 2k and each round i need to repair for about 500, so unless im in the wining team with a good multiplier im losing money :<.
What should i do as a new player? I thought siege and battle is a good way to farm, seems like i was wrong :<

Offline bukva2

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2012, 08:38:18 pm »
Im wearing Strange light Armor/boots/mask, Nodachi, wakizashi and a cheap shield :<

but if thats too much, how come too often i see ppl with top eq and full plates all the time, how do they pay for it?

Offline Polobow

• Count
  • Renown: 267
  • Infamy: 30
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: SoA
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2012, 08:42:03 pm »
The higher your WPF, the less you repair. If you hybridize, you will theoratically pay more often, since you have to put both points into 2H or 1H.

Offline bukva2

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2012, 08:46:46 pm »
lol, one weapon with over 1k upkeep and a 7k one hander. stop this madness, one weapon should be enough.

I have enough money on my bank to run around in my best equipment all the time, selling loompoints is the key.

Not sure i understand the loom system, something about retirement at certain lvl i hear,
Also, what does this mean: "36h 30b 29l" I see it in the gear section above Armor word.

Offline Bob_Ross

• Earl
  • Renown: 394
  • Infamy: 20
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Church of PEPE
  • Game nicks: Pope_Thunnus_Obesus_of_PEPE Explosion_of_Tuna Sultan_Tuna_bin_Salmon
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2012, 08:48:51 pm »
Not sure i understand the loom system, something about retirement at certain lvl i hear,
Also, what does this mean: "36h 30b 29l" I see it in the gear section above Armor word.

h = head armour
b = body armour
l = leg armour
Friendship is like wetting your pants: everyone can see it, but only you can feel its warmth.

Offline TheFocusedOne

• Noble
  • Renown: 15
  • Infamy: 19
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2012, 08:52:57 pm »
It's funny.  I hear people complaining about gold costs and upkeep and I can't help but wonder if they're playing the same game as I am.  The gold cost for upkeep is not bad.  Hell, I can run leather armour a knightly heater shield two slots of throwing axes and a espada and still make sick amounts of coin.  If anything the cost for equipment or repairs should be MORE, and people should only feel comfortable wearing their chain or transitional or plate at high multipliers.  And 30k for the most expensive armours in the game?  A joke.  That can be made in an hour, easy.  It should take a few weeks to grind up the money to obtain that shit, give people a little more sence of accomplishment.

Just my 2 cents.

Offline bukva2

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2012, 09:00:28 pm »
You get charged with repair regardless if you get hit (armor) of if you hit with a weapon yes? Would be nice if only weapon repairs were needed if you block everything :<

Offline Joker86

• Mad & Bad
  • King
  • Renown: 1226
  • Infamy: 324
  • cRPG Player
  • Why so serious?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Companions
  • Game nicks: Joker86_TP
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2012, 09:00:46 pm »
Im wearing Strange light Armor/boots/mask, Nodachi, wakizashi and a cheap shield :<

but if thats too much, how come too often i see ppl with top eq and full plates all the time, how do they pay for it?

Light Strange War Mask:...........2107
Light Strange Armour:..............2589
Light Strange Greaves:...............345
Nodachi:................................13766   
Wakizashi:...............................7554

I guess low WPF is the problem, because you shouldn't be losing much money. My standard equip is 19.912 and I ALWAYS make money.

Anyway, I don't think it's a very effective build to make a 1hd+shield/2hd-hybrid. Specialize on one of them, and then you can remove the other weapons. Not only will your character be more effective, you will make more money.

But the best solution would be to remove the weaboo stuff completely, because it looks... not really appealing...  :P

You get charged with repair regardless if you get hit (armor) of if you hit with a weapon yes? Would be nice if only weapon repairs were needed if you block everything :<

Nope, completely unrelated whether you use an item of have it holstered all the time, whether you kill someone or get killed and so on. The only things which matter are:

- You must have had the item in your inventory at one point of the round (important for picking up stuff)
- The time the round took. The longer it takes, the more likely your equipment will break
- Whether you won or lost. Winning means a lightly lower chance of breaking
- Your WPF with the particular weapon. The higher the WPF, the less likely it will break.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 09:04:55 pm by Joker86 »
Joker makes a very good point.
î saved for eternety (without context  :mrgreen:)

Offline bukva2

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2012, 09:05:13 pm »
my WPF is about 120 now i think. And im not a hybrid, just two handed, but  sometimes a shield is better and i dont want to keep switching weapons in battle all the time

Offline Joker86

• Mad & Bad
  • King
  • Renown: 1226
  • Infamy: 324
  • cRPG Player
  • Why so serious?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Companions
  • Game nicks: Joker86_TP
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2012, 09:08:13 pm »
my WPF is about 120 now i think. And im not a hybrid, just two handed, but  sometimes a shield is better and i dont want to keep switching weapons in battle all the time

Limit yourself. You can't have everything to be an allrounder, that's not the point of the game. Specialize in one task, and rely on your teammates to do the other tasks for you (and pray to god while doing so!).

By removing the Wakizashi and the shield you would save a lot of money, especially as those will break more often. Next to the fact that they slow you down quite a bit.
Joker makes a very good point.
î saved for eternety (without context  :mrgreen:)

Offline OpenPalm

• Baron
  • Renown: 123
  • Infamy: 18
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Thes
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2012, 09:56:06 pm »
Get rid of wakizashi and nodachi, use katana instead, I believe you can use it 1h if you have a shield.
Quote from: Smoothrich
Racism against our chinese gold grinding brothers.