Author Topic: What is the point of upkeep?  (Read 11070 times)

Offline Bobthehero

• Duke
  • Renown: 515
  • Infamy: 195
  • cRPG Player
  • Grandmaster Ultimate God Of Swashbucklin'
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Bridgeburners
  • Game nicks: Bobthehero_Whals and I am totally not all the Not_Bobthehero alts ever.
  • IRC nick: Buff Swashbuckling
Re: What is the point of upkeep?
« Reply #180 on: April 26, 2012, 09:37:56 am »
Imo upkeep is and alway's been retarded, in a mod where you're supposed to be able to have the build and gear you want, not being able ot use your favorite stuff most of time is kinda retared.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
The Narwhals, dedicated swashbuckler part of FCC

Stabbing is my speciality and one hitting people, my art

Offline Shamlow

• Peasant
  • Renown: 8
  • Infamy: 39
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: April 26, 2012, 09:42:36 am »
Upkeep starts at level 25 and/or at respec.

It's a sort of buffer zone for new players to build up some capital. Everyone loses money, it's just a matter of how much. If you're having trouble with upkeep, wear cheaper gear.

Look, this is from your Dev. Upkeep starts at level 25 and/or at respec. Yet I am SUB 25, and currently paying upkeep. I have 4 friends all under 25, DOING THE SAME one of which is level 11. Clearly that is not supposed to be happening. Which is the reason for my thread, you should not be taxing low level/gen1s.

Offline Jacko

• OKAM Developer
  • Renown: 839
  • Infamy: 99
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
  • Mappers Guild
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fffnanguard!
  • Game nicks: Jacko
« Reply #182 on: April 26, 2012, 09:46:12 am »
I just tried with a low level gen 1 character and I did not have to pay upkeep. Try making a new character; if the problem persist, then we'll know for sure.

You need a buffer zone for high upkeep gear. Over time, you'll earn money even with very high upkeep costs.
Monkeys!

Offline Shamlow

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: April 26, 2012, 09:50:29 am »
Do you seriously want me to make a new account and low level character to test this? I will just give you my account information, I'm not making this up. I'm level 23 now, but if what you are saying is true I should not have upkeep of any kind yet.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 09:52:34 am by Shamlow »

Offline Shamlow

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: April 26, 2012, 10:00:45 am »
it takes like 2.03 minutes to test this out.

No, it would take longer than that because I would have to buy an item for like 1k and then wait for a random upkeep tic. Not to mention, I'm not even at home at the moment.

Offline Shamlow

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: April 26, 2012, 10:05:31 am »
I didn't start with a Trident. I started with a butcher's cleaver and like a kitchen knife or something. I thought newbie weapons didn't have upkeep, if they do that is even more hysterical.

Offline Jacko

• OKAM Developer
  • Renown: 839
  • Infamy: 99
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
  • Mappers Guild
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fffnanguard!
  • Game nicks: Jacko
« Reply #186 on: April 26, 2012, 10:07:38 am »
There are other factors involved with upkeep, but generally level 25< gen 1 does not pay upkeep. I asked you to make a new character so you can see this for yourself.

Everything has upkeep.
Monkeys!

Offline Sagar

• Earl
  • Renown: 463
  • Infamy: 279
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Bogumili
  • Game nicks: Sagar
  • IRC nick: Sagar
« Reply #187 on: April 26, 2012, 10:08:25 am »
The Medieval Knight

The knight was one of three types of fighting men during the middle ages: Knights, Foot Soldiers, and Archers. The medieval knight was the equivalent of the modern tank. He was covered in multiple layers of armor, and could plow through foot soldiers standing in his way. No single foot soldier or archer could stand up to any one knight. Knights were also generally the wealthiest of the three types of soldiers. This was for a good reason. It was terribly expensive to be a knight. The war horse alone could cost the equivalent of a small airplane. The armor was very expensive. In today's standards a suit would cost the knight the price of a 5 bedroom house, shields, and weapons were also very expensive. Becoming a knight was part of the feudal agreement. In return for military service, the knight received a fief. In the late middle ages, many prospective knights began to pay "shield money" to their lord so that they wouldn't have to serve in the king's army. The money was then used to create a professional army that was paid and supported by the king. These knights often fought more for pillaging than for army wages. When they captured a city, they were allowed to ransack it, stealing goods and valuables.

War is expensive!
« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 10:10:07 am by Sagar »

Offline Bobthehero

• Duke
  • Renown: 515
  • Infamy: 195
  • cRPG Player
  • Grandmaster Ultimate God Of Swashbucklin'
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Bridgeburners
  • Game nicks: Bobthehero_Whals and I am totally not all the Not_Bobthehero alts ever.
  • IRC nick: Buff Swashbuckling
« Reply #188 on: April 26, 2012, 10:15:07 am »
Yes but I can maintain my IRL sword for a relatively cheap price, even 10x that amount to include battle damage wouldn't be that bad.
The Narwhals, dedicated swashbuckler part of FCC

Stabbing is my speciality and one hitting people, my art

Offline chadz

• The lazy
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 3188
  • Infamy: 724
  • Sir Black King A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: irc://
  • IRC nick: chadz
« Reply #189 on: April 26, 2012, 10:23:28 am »
+6
I'm really glad this thread turned into me arguing with a bunch of trolls. Now none of the Devs/Admins will bother with it or bother worrying about this problem.

If this surprised you, based on your initial shit spouting, you must be new to the internet.

Welcome!

Offline Sarpton

• Count
  • Renown: 198
  • Infamy: 54
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Hurlbat
« Reply #190 on: April 26, 2012, 10:47:15 am »
^ LOL

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: April 26, 2012, 11:24:10 am »
I couldn't read 5 additional pages of much likely nonsense.

Someone suggested him doing an STF char as it seems he wants everything to be immediate and effortless ?

Offline POOPHAMMER

• King
  • Renown: 1509
  • Infamy: 328
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
  • yes thats me irl
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Barabe
  • Game nicks: POOPHAMMER
« Reply #192 on: April 26, 2012, 11:38:20 am »
+1
I couldn't read 5 additional pages of much likely nonsense.

Someone suggested him doing an STF char as it seems he wants everything to be immediate and effortless ?

TL;DR

He is having problems with repairs

we tried to help him by explaining how to budget

we are all trolls and liars.
Uther Pendragon: dont worry i wasnt planning on trusting you anyway

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: April 26, 2012, 11:52:46 am »
None of that has anything to do with anything in this thread. Nobody has talked about k/d or even win/lose income differences. They don't matter, only you keep talking about this. I don't know why it is hardly relevant to the actual problem.

It seemed to be the only relevant thing to say as what you said afterwards makes no sense :

You have to earn money by leveling up, you just stated why in the previous quote. By just standing afk and leveling/gaining gold you are earning money as you level.

You do not win more gold by playing one minute at level 30 than playing 1 minute at level 1. You are purposefully playing with words to make a point.

The fact that you don't understand how someone with 1million dollar and someone with 20k dollars are effected differently by a tax that hits them both equally in borderline insane.

No it isn't. Your instinct and how the human brain grasps the concept of money are inherently flawed and illogical. Both the 1M guy and the ultra indebt -500k guy are able to buy things worth 10k less in total when they lose 10k. The only difference is that you suppose the 1M guy will not have trouble spending for his "needs", and the 20k guy will if they both lose 10k. But if both were perfectly logical entities they would give the same value for that money.

Why do you think people with higher income and lower income are taxed different in real life? Do you not understand how it would make more sense to make the upkeep% based vs your level in the least to help out poorer/newer players?

The upkeep is based on the assumption that everybody stays in the 27-30 level range more than half their playtime, which is a truism as the xp required for 30 to 31 is equal to the xp needed for 1 to 30. As the level field is extremely balanced already, upkeep does not need to take it into account and only makes a difference between cheap and expensive equipment.

Man you ought to try this mod back when reaching level 25 or buying your first decent weapon was an acheivement. People don't understand they aren't supposed to have even remotely equal stats as others to enjoy a game. Playing as a peasant is different and original. cRPG already is much more "fair" to new players than it ever was, if that makes sense. New players are destroyed by skilled players anyway, even when they have a big advantage in stats and equipment, and it isn't any more "fair", old players had a lot of time to train their skills.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: April 26, 2012, 11:58:34 am »
+4
Peasants... why do we, the higher classes of this society, have to listen to their mindless rambling? Someone toss him a coin and be done with it!