Author Topic: A good polearm to use with a shield?  (Read 4895 times)

Offline Grumbs

• طالبان
  • King
  • Renown: 1170
  • Infamy: 617
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: A good polearm to use with a shield?
« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2012, 03:25:44 am »
Only use the shield when you are in a group fight imo. If you are alone then put the shield away so you attack faster and can force the other guy to have to block more than 1 direction. Even if its just a weak overhead it can allow you to get another hit in after it. Until you get very efficient with spin stabs its hard to kill someone who's aware of you with just the stab. You want to make the hitbox for the attack appear without any obstruction in front of it, then swing the attack into the player. Its a very lethal attack though, maybe the fastest attack type when you get good at it
If you have ranged troubles use this:

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline callahan9119

• Baron
  • Renown: 106
  • Infamy: 50
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Callahan9119
« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2012, 03:43:00 am »
Too late now, I'm poor as shit and I'm stuck with the light lance...which I cant swicth, unless I'm an idiot.

Too broke to get another weapon.
Hello

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • Renown: 573
  • Infamy: 596
  • cRPG Player
  • YOU INCOMPETENT TOH'PAH!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Northmen
  • Game nicks: GotLander, Hamarr, Digglesan, Black_D34th
« Reply #32 on: April 12, 2012, 04:01:39 am »
pike is very hard to use, especially if you havent mastered the basics of spears yet.  Longspear is quite a bit easier to start out with.

Stick with it, light lance is great learning weapon.  Put shield on your back, if people get up in your face and you're uncomfortable, jump backwards and pull shield out. turtle up & wait for help.

also practice with warspear/ashwood on duel server for manual blocking and spinstabbing

things will get alot easier as you start adding more agility/athletics to your build.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 04:03:27 am by Digglez »

Offline callahan9119

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 12, 2012, 04:36:18 am »
Can I sell or delete items I have?
Hello

Offline Zanze

• Earl
  • Renown: 366
  • Infamy: 69
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ravens of Valhalla
  • Game nicks: Raven_Zan
« Reply #34 on: April 12, 2012, 04:37:44 am »
You can sell. But I get the hint you may be knew... ditch the concept of items = great glory. Skill does, and it takes time to get that. Be persistent and you will eventually start racking up kills. (I got 2 kills my first gen)

Offline callahan9119

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 12, 2012, 04:42:07 am »
I just want to get this fecking peasant dagger out of my inventory, right clicking it in the crpg site/inventory just gives the the usual "save image as" etc bullshit.
Hello

Offline Grumbs

• طالبان
  • King
  • Renown: 1170
  • Infamy: 617
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 12, 2012, 04:52:11 am »
Left click it then scroll to the top, then click the empty line then save
If you have ranged troubles use this:

Offline callahan9119

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 12, 2012, 04:56:12 am »
Thank you friend, didn't see that blank line.
Hello

Offline HUtH

• Baron
  • Renown: 94
  • Infamy: 28
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 12, 2012, 12:32:36 pm »
war spear or red tassel spear are great with shield when fighting as support... you have cover from shield and awesome range also because of shield and enough dmg to feel like a Leonidas :P Certainly my next build will be a hoplite.
Sorry
for
my
terrible
English

Offline Phew

• Marshall
  • Renown: 775
  • Infamy: 132
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Phew_XVI
« Reply #39 on: April 12, 2012, 07:02:57 pm »
Your Light Lance is as good as any other Hoplite option, so don't regret your purchase. They are all pretty fairly balanced between dmg/reach/speed. The Light Lance just emphasizes reach+dmg>speed, but your speed is terrible with any spear while you have your shield equipped.

The key as a Hoplite is to follow good players around. If enemies key on you, turtle up. If they key on your teammates, unequip the shield and poke away. It's pretty much the least effective class at getting actual kills, but your impact will be greater than the scoreboard shows. Every time you stun an enemy so a teammate can kill them, consider that a win.

If you wanted kills, you should have gone 2H.

Offline zagibu

• cRPG President
  • King
  • Renown: 1436
  • Infamy: 228
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 12, 2012, 10:14:40 pm »
Don't play a hoplite character when you are new. They are hard to play. You need excellent timing, patience, and reflexes (fall for 1 feint and you are dead on low level). Stop investing in shield and play a regular polearm dude with one of these weapons:

- Warspear
- (Long) Hafted Blade
- Military Scythe
- any Poleaxe
- any Long Axe
- Glaive
- Long Bardiche

If you continue your life as a hoplite, you will get frustrated and quit before you are level 30.
 Why am I beswung by sharpe and pointed utensyls?

Offline SockpuppetSamurai

• Noble
  • Renown: 13
  • Infamy: 5
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 12, 2012, 11:16:11 pm »
+1
Like yourself, I am fairly new and leveling a hoplite character (currently level 27), and I still haven't found a spear that I am comfortable with. I've tried all of the spears, the ashwood pike, and the double sided lance but overall I've used the war spear the most.

I found the Ashwood pike's range to be too much for my playstyle. I kept failing at keeping people at the longer range and soon found the single attack direction a hindrance once I was able to drop my shield. On the flip side the shorter double sided lance (and the 150 range spears to an extent), allowed opponents to easily get in and "face-hug" me rendering my stab useless. Besides backpedaling the only option you have at this point is to switch to 2h which is impossible without getting hit when you are getting spammed by two-handers. I'm currently testing the shortened spear which is amazingly fast compared to the 95 speed warspear but has a much shorter range (120) and less of a punch. Next I'm going to try the battlefork, while it doesn't have the look or the speed that I want it's length looks ideal for me and the thrust and swing damage are both impressive.

What I have found:
- Do not expect to get a lot of kills. This can be frustrating and the current scoring method often makes it embarrassing.
- The spear thrust can easily be held off and rendered useless by your opponent holding a downblock while they close in on you.
- The speed penalty from using a shield makes reacting to a dropped downblock in time to get a hit nearly impossible. (This is bad mechanics in my opinion).
- Try to use your spear as a two-handed weapon as much as possible. This really does defeat the purpose of a hoplite character and requires you to learn manual blocking, but is the only option you have against opponents holding a downblock or spamming you with a stupid fast two-hander.
- Get your shield skill up to 5 and use a huscarl or similar beefy shield. I found that far too often the weaker or less skill intensive shields were easily broken and then I became a pincushion.
- As others have mentioned, you won't do well in 1vs1 situations with your shield unless you put enough points into one handed weapons to use them effectively. On that note, you are limited to using a 0 slot weapon or smaller shield since the huscarl and other heavier shields use 2 slots and the spears take up the remaining 2 slots.
- Hoplite looking armor does not exist :(
- Teamwork is needed to really make hoplites effective without this you're left in a "supporting" role which means that you wound dozens of players and others kill them or you steal kills from players who were probably doing fine on their own.
     On that thought, it would be great to have a scoring system that wasn't purely based on K/D ratio. Kill assist points like in BF3 where you get an amount of points equal to how much damage you did on an opponent would be great.

Final thought: Even though I would consider the Hoplite less effective and harder to play than other "classes" I am having the most fun so far. I often aid archers with my shield and pokey stick and participate in making shield walls that usually are not taken advantage of but it adds a little to the game.

Offline RibaldRon

• Baron
  • Renown: 144
  • Infamy: 13
  • cRPG Player
  • why do butts
    • View Profile
  • Faction: LLJK
  • Game nicks: LLJK_RibaldRon
« Reply #42 on: April 13, 2012, 01:23:34 am »
+1
Yes, Polearms, especially hoplites, are support characters.

Long range, polestagger.. you help others get the kills.

2H characters run in and just swing like mad and get the glory.  :P

I think it's a fun role.  I have learned to hold my own 1:1 for a bit, I still get killed, usually, but I can make people work for the kill.. which I think is still contributing something!  :mrgreen:

I am still not very good, but if you'd like I don't mind hopping on the duel server and helping you practice your block or whatever for a bit, that'll give you a little bit of free xp/gold ticks, and it'll be a good way to train without getting frustrated.

E: failing  that, just keep in mind, a lot of what people will do is chamber you, you're using a slower and more predictable weapon - so  hold your swings, and wait until they've already chambered.  People underestimate you, and that's your biggest advantage.  Watch for similar feints against you, that's typically how I end up dying.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 01:24:57 am by RibaldRon »
signature removed: annoying

USA USA USA

Offline Barry McGuigan

• Peasant
  • Renown: 5
  • Infamy: 40
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 14, 2012, 11:54:19 am »
I don't know why people always throw this class away as useless, I have 18/21 with 3 throw away points in shield and when i strap the kite shield on with a short spear the lol stabb commeth. The stab reach is soo short you will be jabbing them in the back of the neck ;). Of course it helps to be naked behind your shield for speed and while it takes maybe 7 hits to bring a str player down I've beaten a fair few faces In eu one one one.

The great thing about being a hoplite is your underestimated straight away all they do is spam  which is easy enough to deal with, the one on ones just require good foot work and good kick timing. While it's possible to top boards like this I wouldn't recommend it by any stretch,war spear and  shield is better even if you just equip the shield so you can get some extra reach on ladders when defending.

Offline zagibu

• cRPG President
  • King
  • Renown: 1436
  • Infamy: 228
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 14, 2012, 02:03:13 pm »
Nobody said the build is useless, but it's certainly not for a new player.
 Why am I beswung by sharpe and pointed utensyls?