Author Topic: Crossbows and the Return of FPS  (Read 16090 times)

Offline Casimir

• King
  • Renown: 1756
  • Infamy: 271
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The Dashing Templar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Templar
  • Game nicks: Templar_Casimir
  • IRC nick: Casimir
Re: Crossbows and the Return of FPS
« Reply #75 on: March 18, 2011, 02:58:16 pm »
Decided that First person makes this game atleast 100% more epic. Shit is just so much crazier. I suggest first person only servers so we can all plat M&B: CS:S!
Turtles

Offline Prpavi

• King
  • Renown: 1525
  • Infamy: 402
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • 私 わ 変態 です
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Prpavi, Prpafeee
« Reply #76 on: March 18, 2011, 09:42:57 pm »
Well one solution also would be to add the expanding recticle like archers have but say it kicks in after 5-7 seconds due to arm fatigue and that time and speed of expansion would depent on the weight of the armour.

also there really needs to be some requirement liike power draw or wpf.

xbow is a common second slot now and way too effective at 1 wpf.
And now he can't play because of "common sense" and he doesn't understand how this common sense works
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Thtb

• Peasant
  • Renown: 3
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 18, 2011, 09:59:07 pm »
Ranged weapons are just inbalanced at this point... 1 wpf + some power throw = instant kill axes/ranged
Bow, 150 wpf + complete build focused on it = needs several hits.

Offline Darkkarma

• Duke
  • Renown: 573
  • Infamy: 106
  • cRPG Player
  • Slow your roll
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: DarkKarma
« Reply #78 on: March 18, 2011, 10:06:03 pm »
Well one solution also would be to add the expanding recticle like archers have but say it kicks in after 5-7 seconds due to arm fatigue and that time and speed of expansion would depent on the weight of the armour.

also there really needs to be some requirement liike power draw or wpf.

xbow is a common second slot now and way too effective at 1 wpf.

getting the occasional kill with an xbow at wpf doesn't make it OP. I could do the same thing in battle with a melee weapon after I starta  new gen. What I can't do however, is kill consistently with it. I don't think most people can for that matter, save a few really skilled players
This community hurts my brains, a lot.

Offline Rhade

• Peasant
  • Renown: 2
  • Infamy: 6
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: BkS_Rhade
« Reply #79 on: March 19, 2011, 03:19:59 am »
Ahhh, you pulled the "m&b is melee oriented game, so why do archers have any possibility to actually kill someone?" card. How cute. Then I guess you would gladly enlighten us why is it that it's pretty much always melee people who top to scoreboards? Even if it's hybrid, the majority of his kills are melee. From your post it looks like they should be hiding the whole round and then get slaughtered by ranged, thus not getting any kills.

Actually, I didn't pull that card, I wrote an extremely well made, structured and informed argument regarding the status quo of cRPG and you completely avoided addressing my main points.

However, I will do you the favor of refuting your points because I can and will not simply "ignore" them:

1. I actually stated that I want archers(range) to be a viable class, and have no problem with that, or something similar to it.
(click to show/hide)
2. I've seen talented archers (Carebear_HarmlessPeasant and BkS_Vanidar) top the scoreboards regularly, and have watched them to do so getting the majority of their kills from their bow.

Saying that melee players "top scoreboards all the time" isn't really true, but let's imagine it is: Saying Michael Jordan can win a 1v10 vs average guys pulled off the street isn't a good indication that the game would be fair, because you're bringing in the extreme variable of someone extremely skilled. You have to look past the fact that good players are going to generally do well regardless of what class they're playing, but the point I was getting at was that once a critical mass of range was reached, that it became significantly easier to shut them down, and dilluted the skill required to be successful in this game.

When looking at game balance and looking at issues, you need to assume average skill level on all parts. You obviously don't grasp this as you're saying you "see melee top the scoreboard all the time," yet I see the same players topping the scoreboards all the time, no matter what class they play. When talking about balance you can't really bring that top elite group in, because they would still do well with rocks and a hatchet. You need to look at the theory and logic of things and assume average, even skills at all points.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2011, 03:31:54 am by Rhade »

Offline Nemeth

• Knight
  • Renown: 34
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Nemeth
  • IRC nick: Nemeth
« Reply #80 on: March 19, 2011, 03:33:43 am »
(click to show/hide)

The only valid point in that is, that when ranged reaches the "critical mass", it get's annyoing and very uncomfortable for melee people. The rest is just pile of crap, biased comparsions trying to make melee inf look unplayable when there are archers around. To that, my response was that even with all the range shit flying through the air,  melee inf are still the ones at the top of scoreboards, not archers.

Offline Rhade

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 19, 2011, 03:39:10 am »
(click to show/hide)

The only valid point in that is, that when ranged reaches the "critical mass", it get's annyoing and very uncomfortable for melee people. The rest is just pile of crap, biased comparsions trying to make melee inf look unplayable when there are archers around. To that, my response was that even with all the range shit flying through the air,  melee inf are still the ones at the top of scoreboards, not archers.

....and the point of the thread is attempting to reduce that critical mass by making xbows not as easily accessible. Critical mass was my main point, and has an effect on everything else I talked about.

I made my points with logic, yours are simply hearsay of us needing to trust the "fact" that you say melee inf is ALWAYS at the top of the boards.

Isn't it just as likely that a few extremely talented melee are on top of the boards, with the average melee player being negative with all the range players being in the middle? Just as likely, just as proven, and just as strong an argument.

I actually think I made quite a few solid points in that post, but take it as you will: the fact remains that range is far too effective and accessible, especially after critical mass is achieved. At this point, skill becomes less important than "how much range do you have?"
« Last Edit: March 19, 2011, 03:45:18 am by Rhade »

Offline IG_Saint

• Count
  • Renown: 196
  • Infamy: 20
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: IG
« Reply #82 on: March 19, 2011, 03:40:40 am »

Often it's not the ranged that kills you, it's the melee that swings at you while you're still stunned from the ranged. That's why range tends to top scoreboards less. Doesn't make them any less deadly. I have to agree with you on Rhade's post though.

Offline Rhade

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 19, 2011, 03:50:11 am »
Often it's not the ranged that kills you, it's the melee that swings at you while you're still stunned from the ranged. That's why range tends to top scoreboards less. Doesn't make them any less deadly.

Very true. Not to mention the deaths from focusing entirely on trying to live through projectiles and having no more attention to give to anything else. It's not their one-shot stopping power that is the issue, it's their supreme effect on the battle even if they don't get 200 kills per round.

Offline Nemeth

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 19, 2011, 04:15:05 am »
I never said that melee tops the scoreboards all the time. I said most of the time. As well as I never said that only good melee tops the scoreboards, so I don't really understand why you spend the time writing your response to something that wasn't said, bah, it wasn't even implied.
I don't know how it's on NA, but what I said is true for EU. If you don't believe me, just go play EU for few maps and see what class is regulary in the first places on scoreboards.
As for the "solid points" you believe you made... Well since you believe them, there is no point in pointing out why they are not solid, wouldn't help anything.

@IG_Saint - Yes, that's true and I agree. But by no means is range a supreme force.

Offline Vexus

• Count
  • Renown: 198
  • Infamy: 41
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Deus_Mortis
« Reply #85 on: March 19, 2011, 11:06:32 am »
Melee might be on the top score more than archers but if you look at their backs you will see either a bow, a lovely crossbow or some throwing weapons and I'm sure the point of the thread is this not that rangers are killing from range.

Everyone can use a ranged weapon with ease atm thanks to the new wpf be it a crossbow or throwings.

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #86 on: March 19, 2011, 03:40:25 pm »
Coming from a dedicated archer as my main, I am going to say that there is too much range atm. I would like to see less xbow sidearms, and less thrown. As for the archers, I am mostly fine with the amount in NA, though EU sometimes gets to be nuts with the level of archers there.
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Siiem

• Heretic
  • Duke
  • Renown: 611
  • Infamy: 129
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 19, 2011, 03:55:09 pm »
melee inf are still the ones at the top of scoreboards, not archers.

Thats not a valid arguement either... I mean honestly. Cavalry are allso topping the scoreboards so are xbowers. Seen some archers aswell topping the scoreboard.

Offline Nemeth

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 19, 2011, 04:13:40 pm »
Well how you wanna measure it then? Let's put it this way then. Having someone like Tommy, who is arguably one of the best cavalry on EU, is game changing, and there is quite a chance that his team is gonna win if the map is at least remotely suited for cav. Having someone like Phyrex on your team is the same case. And there are more players both cav and melee that can and are able to turn the tides easily. What about ranged then? There is only one crossbowman that can make a difference like those guys, and that is DaveUKR, and even he is not that effective when it's raining in game. For archers, I don't think there is any that can have that significant impact on the game. IMO Jambi and Bambi are one of the best EU archers an none of them can really affect the game. Yes, they are annyoing, and they can get kills and help other melee guys get easy kills, but they are never as dangerous as equally skilled cav or melee.
What I'm trying to say is, that ranged defintely has much higher annyoing factor, but that's it. They are not as dangerous and they will not one shot you, usually not even two shot you unless you're cloth wearing peasant. If you wanna reduce crossbows as sidearms, go ahead and make wpf restrictions for weapons. But I don't think that will stop the crying.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2011, 04:16:09 pm by Nemeth »

Offline Jambi

• Earl
  • Renown: 410
  • Infamy: 166
  • cRPG Player
  • Walks with God.
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jambi
« Reply #89 on: March 20, 2011, 01:50:55 am »
Ranged weapons are just inbalanced at this point... 1 wpf + some power throw = instant kill axes/ranged
Bow, 150 wpf + complete build focused on it = needs several hits.

This
Love will tear us apart.
Also, most fucked up brain of the year award goes to jambi. Well done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cX9Cpuj4igk