Author Topic: Equalize kicking in general  (Read 2089 times)

Offline Bjord

• Amateur heretic
  • King
  • Renown: 1328
  • Infamy: 1109
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • salty turks
    • View Profile
Re: Equalize kicking in general
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2012, 11:18:45 pm »
Forgive for being vague but I did not mean to say that shielders have an easy time against cavalry. The complete opposite. Especially bump slashers. But once again, maybe except for bump slashers, lancers can easily pick you out and the worst of them all is the great lance when couched. You just have no way whatsoever to counter it, unless you carry a long enough polearm of course.

And I am not really sure if we are talking about new players using shield (with already fucked up builds, mind you) or experienced shielders? Please don't tell me the latter because you can't seriously mean that you get killed every time you try to attack as a shielder. That's just fallacious, at the least.

I can exclude usefulness because it doesn't fill a purpose in my argument. I explained how you can practically leech whole rounds without dying as a shielder if you want to. Shieldless players don't have the same possibility. Black on white, this is a fact.

Same regarding effectivity. If I was talking about the most rewarding class, I would mention these aspects but as I wasn't, it has no place in my argument and no support in yours since it doesn't address any existing ones in my points.

Whatever the case, this whole thread is one big pile of moot shit. Except for shield bash, that is worth looking into and has already been suggested a few times.
When you stare into the abyss, the abyss stares back.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2012, 11:29:56 pm »
+2
And I am not really sure if we are talking about new players using shield (with already fucked up builds, mind you) or experienced shielders? Please don't tell me the latter because you can't seriously mean that you get killed every time you try to attack as a shielder. That's just fallacious, at the least.

I can exclude usefulness because it doesn't fill a purpose in my argument. I explained how you can practically leech whole rounds without dying as a shielder if you want to. Shieldless players don't have the same possibility. Black on white, this is a fact.

Same regarding effectivity. If I was talking about the most rewarding class, I would mention these aspects but as I wasn't, it has no place in my argument and no support in yours since it doesn't address any existing ones in my points.

Whatever the case, this whole thread is one big pile of moot shit. Except for shield bash, that is worth looking into and has already been suggested a few times.

What, the whole argument was about new shielders, obviously I'm talking about them. I even mentioned the word several times?

You can leech whole rounds without dying a LOT better if you have high riding. Or if you are [insert class here] with high athletics and just run around. If you exclude usefulness it makes no sense anymore. Okay, it's easier to hold right block than it is to kill people - of course, so? What do you achieve with that? You don't get more XP/Gold by staying alive. Not to mention that you can't leech whole rounds without dying. Bonus vs shield weapons break your shield in a few hits. People use footwork to get around you. Multiple people gank you. You get shot in the back. You get lanced. The list goes on.

It's like saying horseless players don't have the possibility of riding around and forcing a draw every single round. This is a fact! If you're being completely useless but staying alive, what's the point? Shielder isn't the easiest class for that but how does it help anyone? And how is it fun for anyone? Point being, want to be useless and not die, go cav.
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline Bjord

• Amateur heretic
  • King
  • salty turks
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2012, 11:50:26 pm »
What makes you believe I want to achieve anything with these arguments?

Hahaha, I'm just trying to waste your time.

But yes, cav is gay, suggestion is gay and shielders are like those weak crybaby kids in elementary that everybody bullied. You feel bad about them but it's not your fault they're weak. Analogy is the key.

And you are gay.

Offline San

• Developer
  • Renown: 1456
  • Infamy: 143
  • 1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
    • View Profile
    • My youtube Brawl videos
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: San_of_Chaos
  • IRC nick: San
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2012, 12:01:53 am »
Just let us block and kick at the same time for now.

Since it isn't broken for long weapon users, it should be fine for short weapon users anyways.

Offline Ninja_Khorin

• King
  • Renown: 1067
  • Infamy: 90
  • Zen
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Clan Ninja
  • Game nicks: Khorin/Keyoke/Lujan
  • IRC nick: Khorin
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2012, 12:04:42 am »
I fought a guy the other, can't remember his name. He blocked all my strikes and walked around trying to kick me, he managed to hit me on the 5th attempt(I hit the same time which he blocked) and then he headslashed me. Made me sad.

Offline EyeBeat

• Earl
  • Renown: 432
  • Infamy: 175
  • 20th BEST PLAYER IN HOSPITALLER
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Hospitaller
  • Game nicks: EyeBeat_The_Wanderer
  • IRC nick: EyeBeat
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2012, 04:30:18 am »
+3
Whatever the case, this whole thread is one big pile of moot shit.

No just your posts man. 

You assume everything without knowing.

If you were just trying to troll the thread then good job.  :)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Being a smallish community doesn't entitle you to act more like a dick than other communities.

Offline Rusty_Shacklefjord

• Baron
  • Renown: 90
  • Infamy: 61
  • cRPG Player
  • Pro-pain
    • View Profile
  • Faction: One Man Army
  • Game nicks: Erik_Magnusson
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2012, 05:47:31 am »
For one thing, the range of kicks is very low. You have to physically be touching someone for your kick to hit them, which means that the usefulness of the kick is largely circumstantial. You can't simply kick anyone you want at any time - you have to bait them into chasing you or running through a doorway/up a ladder/ect. Even so it's easy to miss a kick due to the fact that it doesn't hit immediately and you're unable to turn or move while kicking, which, all in all, means that it's pretty difficult to land a kick even against someone that's completely clueless. It's even more difficult against someone that knows enough to circle and use footwork rather than face hugging. On top of this is the fact that the window of opportunity after a kick is very small, which means that you must have a fast weapon and swing immediately to be able to get your hit. If your weapon is too slow or your first attack fails (which happens often due to some kind of weird glitch), you miss your chance and the enemy comes out of it completely unharmed. In fact, they might even take advantage of your confusion and dismay to deliver a hit of their own.

You can manual block while kicking, but you're still immobilized and vulnerable for the duration. It's a clear trade-off, and I think it's a fair one. In fact, it's so difficult to land a kick that most players (some of them good players!) don't even try. They simply ignore that attack and play without it.

The kick is best against sheilders the same way that spears are best against horses. It's a natural counter. They have short ranged weapons, slow movement, and tend to face-hug. Of COURSE people are going to try kicking them. In fact, for players without 10 power strike and bonus damage vs shields, it's one of the few ways that you can get past a heavy shield, which you would otherwise have no chance of breaking. Hell, even from a realism standpoint it makes sense. The front kick is the classic space-making kick. If someone is crowding you, you put up a block and push them back with a quick kick. It doesn't really hurt, but it unbalances them and makes some space for you to move around in.

Basically, this is the bottom line: If you want to kick, put your shield away and go for it. Otherwise, stop whining.
I too am not a bit tamed, I too am untranslatable,
I sound my barbaric YAWP over the roofs of the world.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2012, 07:56:40 am »
+1
If possible, transform kick into shield bash that would only block up, left and right direction, just like shieldless kicks.

Offline Spawny

• Count
  • Renown: 152
  • Infamy: 27
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Templar_Spawny
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2012, 12:22:51 pm »
+1
Thanks for your input. While most people get my idea (not a "kicking is OP" pov, but a "kicking should be the same for everyone") I feel the need to adress a few points made.

Some inputs:

1. Don't facehug and the source of your frustration will vanish.
True, but since the most used polearms and 2h swords are far longer than 1h weapons (especially when compared with the higher damaging 1h weapons which have a reach of about 80 tops) I will not even be able to hit the enemy without being in his face (thus within kicking range).

2. Risky implementation, could either virtually erase the kick which will dull combat down more than it already is or make it an interesting challenge to succesfully land a kick. Either way, I disagree with the no-block part. Why not instead turn kick into a shield bash? It exists in some mods I reckon, which ones escape me however.
Would be perfectly fine for me. As I said, I don't particularly want to make kicking harder than it is now, just the same mechanic available to everyone.

3. The kick is not as lacking in risk as you want it to sound as, and if I may also point out that according to you, the reason kick should be "fixed" is because you are too often kicked in the duel server. If this is true, then this whole suggestion of yours becomes insignificant and almost irrelevant as I assume the balancing is not based on the duel mode(which is a minimal part of cRPG) but rather the battle mode. In that sense, kicks are incredibly risky. Yes it affects shielders more but uhhhh, do I really need to clarify?
I don't use a shield on the duel server. If I do, I would be even easier to beat as it slows my movement down a lot. In battle mode, when fighting a good player, I block the first few hits with my shield, maybe get a hit in and then the inevitable kicking starts. In clusterfucks, this doesn't happen (too risky), but at the sides or after the initial skirmish it's nearly identical to a duel situation. Just look around, it happens quite often.

You already have a shield. You don't have to worry about projectiles and block directions. If you want to be able to kick while blocking simply unequip your shield and voíla, you are as free as a pincushion.
The advantages of having a shield are already balanced by other game mechanics (reach, damage, weight, etc). There's no need to add kicking to that balance too.

Lot's of text.

As I said earlier, no need to change kicking for manual blocking as it is, just make it the same for shielders.
Kicking should not be a counter vs shielders. There's a range of other options for that.

Kicking should be a combat move available to everyone at the same risk/reward ratio. Wether that involves implementing a shield bash or allowing a shielder to block with his shield while kicking doesn't really matter to me.

The problem is even if you are number 1 in NA you are still only number 467 in EU or the worst in AUS(number 17)

Offline Kato

• Count
  • Renown: 227
  • Infamy: 37
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2012, 01:24:48 pm »
+1
If possible, transform kick into shield bash that would only block up, left and right direction, just like shieldless kicks.

This is good idea on opposition to horrible idea - remove manual blocking while kicking.

There are some downsides like duels between slow shielders with 3 directional weapons will be all about shield bash and most shielders start to be good very quickly with it(or they are doomed.) For shielders this move will be viable in group fighting too and land left slash will be easier because of fast animation. So yeah it will be op in 2 months.

Land kick, block right direction and slash immediately its hard, some people like me try to learn it to use effectively for months and still failed.

As spawny said its problem mostly on duel situations, so take out your shield and you can kick too and  :lol: 1h havent good reach, 100+ is more than enough (dont duel lame glaive abusers ofc).   

Offline Lemmy_Winks

• Count
  • Renown: 241
  • Infamy: 230
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Lemmy_Winks
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2012, 02:11:43 pm »
Ive played both 2h and sheilder and playing sheilder is signifcantly easier than 2h. I wasnt a backpedal 2h spammer and i didnt play on siege which tends to have low quality players so I cant speak to that being easier, but sheilders really dont need anymore advantage than they already have. Manual blocking is to an extent the hardest part of fighting, and sheilders dont even have to worry about it, its really easy mode for sheilders. Kicking is a small thing 2h players have that give them teh ability to open up sheilders.

Unless they have an ax or crushthrough, and most dont, they are never going to be able to break your sheild and you can just easily block everything. If anything sheilding should be nerfed to be made more challening, cause right now its so easy that someone whose been playing 2 or 3 days could do well with it, as said blocking is extremly easy and youve got about 12-20 chances to hit them back before your sheild breaks and it becomes a fair fight.

And just having a one hand weapon and no sheild is good in a duel, right swings and over hands look the same until the end the swing so its hard to know where to block, not to mention they are extremly fast. If you get kicked then you suck hard or have no atheletics, which you should if your a sheilder. So IMO sheilders need a nerf not a buff. And sheilders can defend themsleves against cav better than 2h, they can block a couch which a 2h can not. Ya there is bump slash, but given that 95% or more of cav is lancer cav, thats not too big of a concern.

Offline Jarlek

• King
  • Renown: 1173
  • Infamy: 307
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The walking wiki
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarlek_The_Blue, Jarla, Jarlen, Jarler, Jarlec, Jarled OH GOD ALL THESE ALTS
  • IRC nick: Jarlek
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2012, 02:28:35 pm »
Very good idea. +1 Vibe.
This game isn't about being skillful as much as its about saying things in general chat that enrage people who then go to murder you but in their rage they make dumb mistakes which gets them killed.
In memory of Jarlek_zeh_Blue, ruler of Ilvia

Offline Rumblood

• King
  • Renown: 1199
  • Infamy: 420
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: GrannPappy
« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2012, 05:42:18 pm »
Archers can't kick at all  :(

I tried kicking the enemy off a ladder (without a drawn bow, just standing there with it in my hand) and fell victim to the auto-stun the archer when in kick range "feature".

Sorry you can't block. At least you don't have to switch out your weapon, and then kick.  :wink:
"I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday" – Abraham Lincoln

Offline Bjord

• Amateur heretic
  • King
  • salty turks
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2012, 06:53:09 pm »
No just your posts man. 

You assume everything without knowing.

If you were just trying to troll the thread then good job.  :)

8-)

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2012, 07:36:48 pm »
+1
What makes you believe I want to achieve anything with these arguments?

Hahaha, I'm just trying to waste your time.

"Jessica, I love you!
"Yeah, well, I think you're a nerd"
"I WAS JUST JOKING"

And you're gay on top of that.
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.