Author Topic: Horse racing event/mode  (Read 998 times)

Offline Micah

• Duke
  • Renown: 539
  • Infamy: 114
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Burg Krems
  • Game nicks: Micah_Senpai_von_Krems Glance_the_Useless_von_Krems Arielle_the_little_Mermaid
Horse racing event/mode
« on: April 05, 2012, 06:20:23 pm »
 8-)
well .. or maybe as an idea for a tournament ... where players can bet on horses .. with an parcour map .. or so.
maybe its a silly idea but also mb some people think it could be fun :mrgreen:
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 03:00:21 am by Micah »
I am writing long winded essays in shitty english.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Rebelyell

• King
  • Renown: 1267
  • Infamy: 398
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Templar
  • Game nicks: Templar_Bobby
  • IRC nick: boobby
Re: Horse racing mode
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2012, 06:57:21 pm »
hard to do but sounds good

btw i can get with my horsy almost evrywhere

Hey, I just met you,
And this is crazy,
You just killed me
Nerf you maybe?

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2012, 07:29:57 pm »
I think it would have to be an event.  I think GK has a "tourney map" they made, possibly with a race track, but not a race "course" requiring jumping/maneuvering/etc.

Would be fun though, the best thing I can think of would be to have course that one person rides at a time and they are timed.

The only horses I can see that would be viable would be a courser and possibly arabian warhorse (if there's enough turning involved).
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline Tiberias

• Knight
  • Renown: 67
  • Infamy: 27
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Tiberias
  • IRC nick: Tiberias
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2012, 10:01:08 pm »

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
  • Renown: 828
  • Infamy: 223
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans
  • Game nicks: GK_Overdriven
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2012, 10:44:30 pm »
+1
I think it would have to be an event.  I think GK has a "tourney map" they made, possibly with a race track, but not a race "course" requiring jumping/maneuvering/etc.

Would be fun though, the best thing I can think of would be to have course that one person rides at a time and they are timed.

The only horses I can see that would be viable would be a courser and possibly arabian warhorse (if there's enough turning involved).

GK map has a race track with corners, obstacles and jumps. It's quite well done actually. Could easily be used for this. But yeah Arabian and Courser are really the only two viable horses.

Offline Torben

• King
  • Renown: 2011
  • Infamy: 352
  • still prepare to get sexed
    • View Profile
  • Faction: by my overly nerfed heavy lance.
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2012, 10:45:36 pm »
lol everyone behold of the epic sumpter races
Yes, I know from whence I came! Discontented as a flame, Upon myself I live and glow. All I grasp like lightning flashes, All I leave behind is ashes
Flame I am - that much I know!

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2012, 10:55:36 pm »
lol everyone behold of the epic sumpter races

That works too, just make everyone ride the same type of horse to see who the better horseman is.  Obviously people with higher rider will ride and turn faster, but would still be fun.
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline Mallets

• Earl
  • Renown: 394
  • Infamy: 22
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Mallets and his family
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2012, 01:28:37 am »
The betting part would be awesome!  However, I'm unsure how you would (could) go about doing that.

Offline Micah

• Duke
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Micah_Senpai_von_Krems Glance_the_Useless_von_Krems Arielle_the_little_Mermaid
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2012, 02:22:44 am »
ok, first of all: thanks for your interrest  :lol:
secondly, we have 3 options of realizing a horse race tournament (if its possible in the end):
    1) free choice of items and characters (including loomed horses and unrestricted character levels )
        - this would result in an rather unballanced state of tournament since there would be quite obvious favorites ( level wise and horse loom grade wise )
        - also would result in a more intense head to head favorite races of dedicated players
    2) restricted loom grade and and character levels for the tournament participants (e.g. max lvl30 characters - think of STF chars here - and only plain horses and gear - as in sumpter, rouncey ... courser )
        - would result in a more "ballanced" versioin of the game for starters
        - with possibly less epic finals and less evolutionary development for recuring  horse race tournaments
    3) some mix of 1) and 2)

furthermore there seems to be a parcours map   with obsticles and everything,which is a great starting point   :mrgreen:
there could be an interrest in a plain speed race map
there should be a proper ruleset to make things clear
and last but not least a unambitious time measuring method

edit: not to forget a trustworthy, neutral biding bureau (thinking of official admins here )  if official bidings will be allowed
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 02:56:54 am by Micah »

Offline Vexus

• Count
  • Renown: 198
  • Infamy: 41
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Deus_Mortis
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2012, 02:28:56 am »
Wouldn't mind it could be a nice mode to spend some time when your not up on fighting.

Offline Mallets

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2012, 02:59:46 am »
Event, Not A Mode

Personally, I'd foresee it more as an event than a mode like Rageball, Defend the Virgin, etc..  Maybe it could be an event ran every 1st weekend of the month (just an example).  That Saturday and/or Sunday would be full of racing events.  Maybe some could be just for fun.  Maybe some could be more serious... with betting and prizes awarded to the winner (or winning clan, see below).

Number Of Contestants

An issue for the serious events... the one's with betting, prizes, and money involved... would be how many contestants do you let participate.  To solve this, maybe for the bigger/serious events... it could be set up where each of the major clans nominates 1 rider from their clan (could even make it 2 riders from a clan, but I'd think no more than that).  This would allow for some real rivalry to take place.  And the betting would now have even more added weight to it.

Betting

Now how to properly run/perform the betting aspect... I'm unsure.  I'd think it'd have to be done here on the forums... days prior to the race.  But then making sure the contestants are actually present to participate is just one of many issues that could arise.

Racing Categories

As for categories... maybe have a different even for each type of horse?  Or maybe an event for Ranked 0 horses, and an event for Loomed horses?  Obviously you couldn't control how much Riding a character had.  And knowing folks... you'd basically have a bunch of players with STF characters with 3/39 builds with 13 Riding.  Maybe you could somehow restrict the event to "Main" characters.

Tracks & Courses

And as for tracks/course.  I think at the minimum there should be an oval (even if just for a speed contest).  Watching contestants (and their horse) going down into turn 1... waiting to see how they fall in line... that'd be pretty exciting.  A straight drag race would be way to boring.  A separate event with an actually course... where the contestant will need maneuverability & speed (and more adept driving skills) to be competitive.  And maybe even the course event could be run one at a time... with the fast time winning.

No Carnage!!!

Lastly... and this is just my opinion... like all this is... I am STRONGLY against folks using any kind of weapon in these events.  You are going to get some hyper, chaos-loving teenagers saying you should be able to use weapons to try an impede (or kill) your opponents and/or their horse.  NO!!!  Or at least make it a separate, silly, fun-filled event.  If enough folks call for it, then sure, why not have it.  But no money or prizes should be at stake.

Closing Statement: I Suck, Hope This Helps!

Ok... I know this is all opinion.  Take of it what you will.  Leave what you will.  Just throwing out ideas.  Hope it helps!
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 03:44:14 am by Mallets »

Offline Micah

• Duke
    • View Profile
Re: Horse racing event/mode
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2012, 03:40:40 am »
@Mallets: thanks for your input  :D
reading your post was leading me to some more insight about my own idea xD
- the idea is truely made more for an event than for a game mode/mod  :idea:
- if its an event it should be a big community wide event with many participants  :mrgreen: ( i wouldnt like to have it as a clan exlusive event, leaving all solo players out of the game )
- if its a big event with many contestants  there needs to a propper elemination procedure generating remaining set of players that are reaching the next tier of the tournament
  while reading your post i was thinking of using the mentioned racing categories/track&courses as the step stones for each of those tournament tiers
  for this to happen there would also be the need of adequate maps/measuring methods for each category ( possibly including a carnage instances (jousting ?) where people are meant to beat eachothers up in order to win the round  :twisted:)
  pure riding skill based builds would be outplayed in fighting instances obviously

Closing Statement: I Suck, Hope This Helps!

Ok... I know this is all opinion.  Take of it what you will.  Leave what you will.  Just throwing out ideas.  Hope it helps!
not at all mate ! thanks again for your rich reply which gave me hope to continue on this  :D
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 03:55:41 am by Micah »

Offline Mallets

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2012, 03:46:55 am »
Cool man!  Glad I could help!

I think it's great to have it open to anyone (and making it a big community event).  Just have fun keeping up with all those participants!  Bracketing is a very intricate science!  (Joke!)

Offline Logen

• OKAM Developer
  • Renown: 385
  • Infamy: 39
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2012, 03:48:18 am »
didnt read but approve cause its micah

Offline Micah

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2012, 04:06:39 am »
didnt read but approve cause its micah
umm ... thanks .. i guess  :o