Poll

Have you been hit through your correct block?

Yes
81 (76.4%)
No
13 (12.3%)
I think so (but not sure)
12 (11.3%)

Total Members Voted: 106

Author Topic: Unregistered blocks  (Read 2396 times)

Offline Barracuda

• Knight
  • Renown: 63
  • Infamy: 5
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mersenaamat
Unregistered blocks
« on: March 11, 2011, 03:27:31 pm »
Unregistered blocks were already reported in the warband beta test but they've been around to this day. I've been wondering does everyone experince them?

I've had two scenarios:
1. Correct parry but hit anyway.
2. Enemy holds overhead/thrust. I approach with up/down block but get hit anyway when in range and opponent releases attack. I've never experienced this with side attacks.

I haven't seen much whining and it happens relatively often (~2 times / 1h) so I've began to wonder is this a client-side issue? Or have people just accepted this as a part of the game. I'm mostly interested in experinces of good blockers that recognise this bug from a mistake with certainty.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: Unregistered blocks
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2011, 03:31:30 pm »
Oh that's why I'm dying so much!

Offline Garrus

• Knight
  • Renown: 39
  • Infamy: 3
  • cRPG Player
  • Imperial Potato Peeler
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans
  • Game nicks: GK_Vakarian, GK_Garrus, Puncinella, GK_DrZoidberg
  • IRC nick: Garrus
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2011, 03:40:44 pm »
im not that supergood blocker (2h), but for all my fail blocks I found my fault,
like bad angle, released block for a moment (which opens your defense), etc.
With unstable bandwith (when others are using net on my lan),
very rarely I see that my attack is going through the enemy without collision.
Maybe packet losses, the block problem could be related to this.
In general, I don't face this problem, but make sure for example in the case of side swings, that
your blade is between your body and the enemy's blade, not only in the proper direction,
and during block, use also your ears and instincts, not only your eyes.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Spawny

• Count
  • Renown: 152
  • Infamy: 27
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Templar_Spawny
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2011, 04:14:48 pm »
I blame lag most of the time.

Sometimes it's your ping, sometimes it's serverside lag. I experience that the most on my thrower. When the server lags just a bit, all my throws are a bit off and I can't hit the broad side of a barn anymore.

The next day, the lag is gone and I can hit stuff again.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

The problem is even if you are number 1 in NA you are still only number 467 in EU or the worst in AUS(number 17)

Offline Templar_Ratigan

• Count
  • Renown: 183
  • Infamy: 21
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2011, 06:27:38 pm »
I think the reason you dont see many mention it is, whats the point?

People will merely accuse you of either making it up or being an excessive whiner. I think most people have come to accept it as a fact of this game that sometimes things happen in it that make absolutely no sense whatsoever.

Ive had games where ive played terribly and that's the reason alone, I dont mind that, that is my fault and to do with how bothered I am at the time, so at least I can improve upon it. Then there have been times where the discrepancies just mount up, this hit went through a block, that arrow went past but then after a doubletake in which the game jitters, oh dear no it was in my face all along, oh no it seems that large two handed sword stab hits a few miliseconds longer than its actual animation, but not every time  :lol:.

Things like that are outside of anyones control and arent anybody's fault, not to mention there isnt anything you can do about it, which makes it all the more frustrating. I also agree somewhat with spawny when he mentions lag, pings may or may not have something to do with it.
I suppose it doesnt help when you get those who rage massively on this game and therefore percieve everything and anything as off and wrong.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 06:29:45 pm by Templar_Ratigan »
He reached for his pants and grabbed the cheese, missing the bees whose honey he needs.

Offline Konrax

• Count
  • Renown: 281
  • Infamy: 107
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Konrax of Chaos
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2011, 08:18:19 pm »
Honestly I think it is a minor case of packet loss on the server side.

From time to time I will attack completely through an enemy just to be hit by their attack, on occasion when the person is in TS and I ask them what happened they say I just stood there and got hit, not even preparing my attack.

Other times its blocks which I should have easily made but somehow failed completely. I have had direct on face to face attacks go through my shield before.

Like I said it happens rarely but it is most certainly noticeable.

Offline BlackMilk

• Polearm Lover
  • Earl
  • Renown: 370
  • Infamy: 144
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: el_Banduri

Offline Nemeth

• Knight
  • Renown: 34
  • Infamy: 6
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Nemeth
  • IRC nick: Nemeth
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2011, 09:20:32 pm »
That's pikes though, they are known for their fucked up hit boxes.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 09:22:55 pm by Nemeth »

Offline cmp

• M:BG Developer
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 2052
  • Infamy: 569
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: cmp
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2011, 09:22:35 pm »
That video means nothing, collision detection for teammates is different than for enemies.

Offline Vexus

• Count
  • Renown: 198
  • Infamy: 41
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Deus_Mortis
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2011, 09:25:30 pm »
It doesn't happen so frequent now but before it did happen a lot for many and it was mainly because of the server lag but it could also be lag from your side.

Offline Trippin

• Noble
  • Renown: 17
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2011, 09:26:42 pm »
Fucking idiots, make more excuses for your failure. Releasing your block before the enemy's attack actually collides means that the block isn't registering because you aren't blocking for long enough.

Offline Konrax

• Count
  • Renown: 281
  • Infamy: 107
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Konrax of Chaos
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2011, 09:41:09 pm »
Fucking idiots, make more excuses for your failure. Releasing your block before the enemy's attack actually collides means that the block isn't registering because you aren't blocking for long enough.

Really I didn't know this, I thought if you had a shield equipped it was always blocking in all directions at all times.

Offline rajraj

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2011, 01:14:10 pm »
Packet losses are probably to blame here.

I moved recently, and at my previous apartment, I had access to a high speed internet connection (optic fibre to LAN) at 100/10 Mbit/s.
Failblocks happened much more rarely then. Now that I'm at my new apartment, with a shitty 24/2 Mbit ADSL connection, failblocks are a common annoyance :p

The thing with ADSL is that it's easily disturbed and unstable compared to real broadband. It's especially sensitive to uploads (hence the A as in asynchronous). If a p2p program starts an upload suddenly, the download speed and ping are greatly affected in a negative manner.

Offline Murmillus_Prime

• Earl
  • Renown: 424
  • Infamy: 181
  • cRPG Player
  • Dying is gay.
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Murmillus_Prime
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2011, 01:28:21 pm »
This has happened to me alot more since the latest patches.. I've said this many times.... Lastnight it happened a few times too... One situation a guy with a nodachi standing infront of me on a hill, he was slightly lower than me but we were fighting. After he hit me I blocked his side attack then he started spamming overhead strikes, so I do upblock and.. I get hit... he goes for another overhead, so here I am with my long hafted blade still placed in the up block position, and... his second strike goes right through my block and kills me.

I didn't release it, he was directly infront of me and not strafing or any of that shit..
Dumbfuck.Fuckwit.Cuntshit.Brickfuck.

Offline Alex_C

• Knight
  • Renown: 30
  • Infamy: 10
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Guard of Istiniar
  • Game nicks: IG_Earl_Alexander
  • IRC nick: ISPCA_Alexanger
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2011, 01:46:17 pm »
Blocking without first registering said block with the cRPGBRC (cRPG Block Registration Council (and associated bodies)) is against the law and you will be caught.

If you see people blocking without a license which proves their having registered their blocks, please report them to chadz via PM.