Author Topic: Why do so many people have problems with fps?  (Read 9556 times)

Offline cmp

• M:BG Developer
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 2052
  • Infamy: 569
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: cmp
Re: Why do so many people have problems with fps?
« Reply #60 on: March 24, 2012, 08:38:38 pm »
I never experienced ______, so nobody has a problem with it. 8-)

I experienced _______ and solved it with ********, so ******** solves it for everyone. 8-)

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 24, 2012, 08:43:18 pm »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline obitus

• Earl
  • Renown: 486
  • Infamy: 58
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SeAOv_H-hh0&hd=1
  • Faction: kings of kd
« Reply #62 on: March 24, 2012, 08:45:06 pm »
I experienced _______ and solved it with ********, so ******** solves it for everyone. 8-)

From my guide:

If you have ever experienced freezing in which you are unable to control your character for seconds at a time, this is probably what you need to do to fix it.  This option fixed all of my freezing AND increased FPS to boot (Core2Duo).

But yeah, go ahead and keep making up shit I didn't say.  Thanks!

Offline Lactating Vegetables

• Count
  • Renown: 280
  • Infamy: 60
  • cRPG Player
  • Pew Pew
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Quincy
  • Game nicks: Aurora/ Lactating Vegetables/ Aurora_Borealis/ Hirovard
« Reply #63 on: March 24, 2012, 08:47:26 pm »
The difference between 60 fps and 120 fps is just retarded in this game. 60 fps feels like 20 and 120 feels nice and smooth, as 60 should be. Having the game run smooth is really important for my performance, but I get quite a lot of framedrops even though my rig should be up to it. Used to play at max settings, but some maps just kill fps.

i really don't get why people complain about their fps when its above 40, as the human eye can's see more than 40 fps so you really shouldn't be able to notice and diffrence in it.

however if the games fps counter is wrong then i can under stand, but that seems highly unlikely

The human eye processes about 20 frames per second, but can go as high as 60 when in panic.
from http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_many_frames_per_second_can_your_eyes_see

Aurora makes me grab a shield every game!

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 24, 2012, 08:57:25 pm »
i really don't get why people complain about their fps when its above 40, as the human eye can's see more than 40 fps so you really shouldn't be able to notice and diffrence in it.

however if the games fps counter is wrong then i can under stand, but that seems highly unlikely

That's complete bullshit. Anyone who's ever played FPS's of any kind can tell you that. Yet the "but it won't matter if you have more than 40 or 60 FPS because that's all the human eye can see" argument pops up all the time.

http://www.100fps.com/how_many_frames_can_humans_see.htm

Or from wiki:

"The human visual system does not see in terms of frames; it works with a continuous flow of light information.[12] A related question is, “how many frames per second are needed for an observer to not see artifacts?” However, this question also does not have a single straightforward answer. If the image switches between black and white each frame, the image appears to flicker at frame rates slower than 30 FPS (interlaced). In other words, the flicker fusion point, where the eyes see gray instead of flickering tends to be around 60 FPS (inconsistent). However, fast moving objects may require higher frame rates to avoid judder (non-smooth, linear motion) artifacts — and the retinal fusion point can vary in different people, as in different lighting conditions. "

And

"Additionally some games such as Quake 3 Arena perform physics, AI, networking, and other calculations in sync with the rendered frame rate - this can result in inconsistencies with movement and network prediction code if players are unable to maintain the designed maximum frame rate of 125 FPS"

And
http://amo.net/NT/02-21-01FPS.html

"  The overwhelming solution to a more realistic game play, or computer video has been to push the human eye past the misconception of only being able to perceive 30 FPS. Pushing the Human Eye past 30 FPS to 60 FPS and even 120 FPS is possible, ask the video card manufacturers, an eye doctor, or a Physiologist. We as humans CAN and DO see more than 60 frames a second."
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline cmp

• Supreme Overlord
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 24, 2012, 09:06:48 pm »
From my guide:

But yeah, go ahead and keep making up shit I didn't say.  Thanks!

From your post:

Stuttering huh?  Read my guide. Force single threading to keep from freezing for seconds at a time.

http://forum.c-rpg.net/index.php/topic,26417.0.html

Maybe I shouldn't post this...keeping the laggers and freezers in the dark helps my KD to be even greater.

Referred to someone who has a good PC (= doesn't need your "fix"). But yeah, go ahead and keep making up shit I said.  Thanks!

Offline Rumblood

• King
  • Renown: 1199
  • Infamy: 420
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: GrannPappy
« Reply #66 on: March 24, 2012, 09:14:00 pm »

This is demonstrably wrong.

Subliminal messages have always been a uncanny phenomenon and often subject to scientific and public debate. A subliminal message is a signal in the form of a picture or sound that is designed to pass the normal limits of perception. That means that people perceive it with their subconscious while not perceiving it consciously. This technique is sometimes used in movies and advertising to influence the subconscious of the viewer.

If the eye did not see it, the subconscious would have no means of perceiving it. The technique is well documented. So while you may not "see" it, the brain knows that it is not receiving as much information from 40 fps as it does from 120 fps. So yes, gamers can tell the difference.
"I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday" – Abraham Lincoln

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline obitus

• Earl
  • Renown: 486
  • Infamy: 58
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SeAOv_H-hh0&hd=1
  • Faction: kings of kd
« Reply #67 on: March 25, 2012, 04:26:33 am »

Referred to someone who has a good PC (= doesn't need your "fix").

Congratulations, you have absolutely no experience with freezes!  This makes you masterfully knowledgeable about them.

Offline Zisa

• Count
  • Renown: 272
  • Infamy: 124
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: I am not at liberty to say.
« Reply #68 on: March 25, 2012, 04:59:46 am »
So.. how many of those 120 FPS you might see listed in the corner are displayed if your monitor is set to 60Hz refresh rate.. anyone?
Alas nodachi
remembers glorious spring
a tin can's hatchet.
http://www.moddb.com/members/psychotropicdog

Offline cmp

• Supreme Overlord
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 25, 2012, 05:20:29 am »
So.. how many of those 120 FPS you might see listed in the corner are displayed if your monitor is set to 60Hz refresh rate.. anyone?

Since you can't force the frame to render exactly when the screen is refreshing, there is a difference between 60 and 120.
There is no visual difference between 120 and 180 (again, assuming your monitor is set to 60Hz), but there still is a difference in input smoothness.

Offline Zisa

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 25, 2012, 06:13:18 am »
Since you can't force the frame to render exactly when the screen is refreshing, there is a difference between 60 and 120.
There is no visual difference between 120 and 180 (again, assuming your monitor is set to 60Hz), but there still is a difference in input smoothness.
What kind of difference? we talkin 0.1 Hz?

So if the video card is chugging out 2 or 3 times the graphics the monitor can handle that is going to make input smoother? How would that work, is game logic dependant on display?

I do kinda miss my old CRT with 85Hz sometimes...

I played a game that was capped at 30fps, and it was noticeable - constant strobing. I accidentally got it to run using open glide once - so much better (then it crashed).
Alas nodachi
a tin can's hatchet.

Offline cmp

• Supreme Overlord
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 25, 2012, 04:45:32 pm »
So if the video card is chugging out 2 or 3 times the graphics the monitor can handle that is going to make input smoother? How would that work, is game logic dependant on display?

FPS doesn't always mean graphics frames; in Warband for example it's the amount of times the main loop executes in a second, which includes input code, game logic and all that stuff...

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 25, 2012, 05:01:58 pm »

It puzzles me too, in general my experience with games is that 60 fps looks smooth as hell. Just try limiting your fps to 60 and then to 120 and see if you notice a difference. I do and its quite huge, it even affects my blocking when its not totally smooth.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 05:09:33 pm by SgtTeeh »

Offline Zisa

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 25, 2012, 06:28:28 pm »
FPS doesn't always mean graphics frames; in Warband for example it's the amount of times the main loop executes in a second, which includes input code, game logic and all that stuff...
Ah, so does that mean the FPS counter in warband is not showing the displayed FPS then, but the overall game?

For some reason I am thinking of slomo (or go slow or whatever it was called) for DosBox.
Alas nodachi
a tin can's hatchet.

Offline woody

• Earl
  • Renown: 407
  • Infamy: 138
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Woody, Weebo, Wreky
« Reply #74 on: March 25, 2012, 06:39:06 pm »
I dont think its computer based.

If I play 2100 GMT I can block decent 1 handers etc reasonably consistently. Played this afternoon from 1300 to 1430 and was seeing swings after they hit. Total waste of time, ended up wearing light armour and spamming since no point playing properly. Mostly dont even bother around 1900, lag so bad.

Not sure its my connection, play native on IG servers/nditions and lag is very rare.