Author Topic: Chambering, What is it?  (Read 1232 times)

Offline Zealok

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Chambering, What is it?
« on: March 16, 2012, 07:39:37 pm »
So i watched this video, and can anyone explain to me what this is. By the looks of it if you both are doing the same attack it chambers

But according to this video, the animations just look weird. What is the timing behind it?

Also i was using a polearm and another person was using a sword. He was just using a overhead attack and he was able to i guess chamber both my pierce and overhead attack. It was the ashwood pike i was using, idk what sword he was using...

So yeah can anyone help me with the whole timing thing. I've been trying to go by animations but it just looks unnatural, like in the video

Here is the video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zlc04jEdH3k

Offline Bulzur

• Earl
  • Renown: 465
  • Infamy: 102
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild.
  • Game nicks: Guard_Bulzur
Re: Chambering, What is it?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2012, 07:46:41 pm »
+2
Overhead chambers both thrust and overhead attacks. Perfect attack against polearm+shield users.

The best way to feel the timing is to hop on the duel server, and kindly ask if any one is interested in it. Then grab high armor, shit weapon, and practice.

The timing is different for all weapons, and depends on your own wpf and the opponents. Si when in battle, it's pretty risky. You usually block a few hits, to understand how the other plays, before trying to chamber him (if he's a damn feinter, it may be the quickest way to kill him).

On a completely unrelated note, you'll do just fine if you're perfect at blocking, without bothering chambering. But hearing that special "tling" sound when chambering does provide a certain satisfaction.
[14:36] <@chadz> when you login there is a message "your life as horse archer was too depressing for you. you decided to commit suicide. please create a new char"
[19:32] <@chadz> if(dave_ukr_is_in_server) then rain_chance = 98%;

Offline Vodner

• Duke
  • Renown: 526
  • Infamy: 73
  • cRPG Player
  • SaulCanner
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: SaulCanner
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2012, 07:47:41 pm »
+2
A chamber (parry) occurs when you hit a swinging enemy weapon with your windup ('chamber') animation. If your chamber animation finishes before the enemy weapon reaches you, then you're out of luck. A successful chamber cancels the enemy attack, and lets your attack go through. Chambers against thrusts tend to be unblockable at close range.

Also i was using a polearm and another person was using a sword. He was just using a overhead attack and he was able to i guess chamber both my pierce and overhead attack. It was the ashwood pike i was using, idk what sword he was using...
That would have been me. In early Warband development, it was decided that both overhead and thrust attacks should be able to chamber thrusts. This was done so that weapons without a thrust (scimitar, etc) could still be used to chamber enemy thrusts.

Against most players, you can counter most chambers by simply holding your attack for roughly half a second before releasing. I know of maybe two players who can consistently chamber held thrusts/sideswings at close range (I am not one of them).
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 07:53:09 pm by Vodner »

Offline Zealok

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2012, 08:24:53 pm »
hmm alright, one more question.

Sometimes when using my polearm, the animation for lets say a pierce will appear, but the arrow for an overhead attack will be on the screen. Other times ill lets so slide my mouse to the left and block but it will block the other side.

Another time i had the pierce block and the correct arrow was on the screen, but i blocked for a side attack.

Are those glitches or am i not understanding the blocking mechanics.

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • Renown: 573
  • Infamy: 596
  • cRPG Player
  • YOU INCOMPETENT TOH'PAH!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Northmen
  • Game nicks: GotLander, Hamarr, Digglesan, Black_D34th
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2012, 08:39:07 pm »
+1
in this game they call parries blocks & riposte's "chambers".

Chamber is a parry and riposte with 1 click of mouse.

Offline Cyclopsided

• Duke
  • Renown: 513
  • Infamy: 51
  • Formerly "Marathon". #sluttiestAdmin
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CHAOS
  • Game nicks: Cyclopsided_of_Chaos, CYBD, Brunchlady
  • IRC nick: Cyclopsided
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2012, 02:51:47 pm »
hmm alright, one more question.

Sometimes when using my polearm, the animation for lets say a pierce will appear, but the arrow for an overhead attack will be on the screen. Other times ill lets so slide my mouse to the left and block but it will block the other side.

Another time i had the pierce block and the correct arrow was on the screen, but i blocked for a side attack.

I suggest you turn those block/attack arrows off. they serve only to distract you.
Also, I have declared myself #1 NA hybrid thrower
Formerly known as Marathon.
As an NA admin, I am the most laid back and concerned with the ~fun of the game~ above all other factors. I've also been super inactive since Summer 2012. University takes most of my time, but I still find some time to play when i can.

Offline Cyclopsided

• Duke
  • Renown: 513
  • Infamy: 51
  • Formerly "Marathon". #sluttiestAdmin
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CHAOS
  • Game nicks: Cyclopsided_of_Chaos, CYBD, Brunchlady
  • IRC nick: Cyclopsided
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2012, 02:53:14 pm »
Against most players, you can counter most chambers by simply holding your attack for roughly half a second before releasing. I know of maybe two players who can consistently chamber held thrusts/sideswings at close range (I am not one of them).
who is the maybe second? Beeper has done it to me a few times after I practiced with him. I wish i was as good as I could be.
(p.s. I get 40 ping to the melee only server ;))
*edit: noo this was meant to be an edit not a new post :(
« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 02:54:50 pm by Marathon »
Also, I have declared myself #1 NA hybrid thrower
Formerly known as Marathon.
As an NA admin, I am the most laid back and concerned with the ~fun of the game~ above all other factors. I've also been super inactive since Summer 2012. University takes most of my time, but I still find some time to play when i can.

Offline RibaldRon

• Baron
  • Renown: 144
  • Infamy: 13
  • cRPG Player
  • why do butts
    • View Profile
  • Faction: LLJK
  • Game nicks: LLJK_RibaldRon
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2012, 09:46:10 pm »
Glitches.  Attack/Block direction arrows are not accurate.  Additionally, I'll often get attack/block direction  desync with the server.  As in I see something different, a left swing is actually an overhead, downblock is actually right block etc.
signature removed: annoying
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

USA USA USA

Offline lonesome_killer

• Peasant
  • Renown: 7
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2012, 05:08:42 pm »
So when you counter attack their swing and it's successful you just let your weapon continue to swing and it will automatically attack?

Offline zagibu

• cRPG President
  • King
  • Renown: 1436
  • Infamy: 228
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2012, 06:05:26 pm »
Yeah, instead of blocking, you swing in the opposite direction of your enemy. For overheads and stabs, both attacks work (you can chamber overhead or stab with both overhead or stab). The enemies swing will be blocked, and yours will continue. They still have the chance to block it, if they are fast, though, or to re-chamber it. But only pros can do that.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 Why am I beswung by sharpe and pointed utensyls?