Author Topic: Retiring over lvl 31  (Read 2223 times)

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 1241
  • Infamy: 168
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
Re: Retiring over lvl 31
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2012, 10:45:23 pm »
It should be correct if the retirement system idea is to prevent players to become super humans with lvl 35. After all with every level the temptation to click retire should be more tempting ;)

Weren't you and half of your clan like level 40 or more before upkeep patch came and changed things?

Offline Rumblood

• King
  • Renown: 1199
  • Infamy: 420
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: GrannPappy
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2012, 10:47:57 pm »
Hate to say it but the whole point is that people retire at 31 and do not grind higher.
Just because people choose to do so that does not mean it will ever be rewarded.
We want to discourage this.

I agree, this just gives a deferred reward. You still want people retiring at 31.

However, you also want people to retire at 32, 33, 34, and 35. You also want to do it without negative reinforcement.
"I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday" – Abraham Lincoln

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 2525
  • Infamy: 1666
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2012, 10:55:30 pm »
Hate to say it but the whole point is that people retire at 31 and do not grind higher.
Just because people choose to do so that does not mean it will ever be rewarded.

Your game is slow, one way to make it faster would be to allow higher levels and nerf STR so not everyone choose STR over agi. If you put hard cap at level 36 but make it like 30 mil XP many people will be able to get there and level difference wouldn't be so high. Also you could lower amount of XP needed for level 30 to 2 mil XP, 31 to 4, 32 to 8, 33 to 12, 34 to 18 and 35 to 24. It would be also cool if you allow those who are over 30 mil XP when they retire to split their char into two: brothers and sisters. That way leveling one would also mean leveling two players so we could have both archer char and melee char. It would be good for the players, mod would become a little bit casual.

Retirement isn't exactly the best idea to achieve balance between players. Heirlooms led to marketplace, which led to abuse, new rules and whatever awaits us in the future.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 10:56:58 pm by Leshma »

Offline Meow

• Awesome Consulting Detective
  • King
  • Renown: 1071
  • Infamy: 150
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2012, 11:05:48 am »
Well, it's working as it is.
People do retire after 31 to start getting heirlooms again.
Then most likely do not go for 31+ again because it's a waste of time if at any point you decide you want new items heirloomed especially since making money is not as easy without getting our own heirloom points to sell.

Instead of allowing for higher levels I'd rather see WPF gain removed from leveling, and adjusting WM to allow for higher WPF overall, not much though.

Offline bredeus

• Earl
  • Renown: 392
  • Infamy: 85
  • there must be Peace
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Templars since 1096 AD
  • Game nicks: Templar_Brede
  • IRC nick: Brede
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2012, 12:20:24 pm »
So how to get rid lvl 35? Maybe the death at the age 50 is a reasonable choice.
@Leshma, probably you are right but I personally never reached lvl 40.

Offline Logen

• OKAM Developer
  • Renown: 385
  • Infamy: 39
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2012, 12:22:53 pm »
So how to get rid lvl 35?
why would you want to do that?

Offline Homey_D_Clown

• Knight
  • Renown: 29
  • Infamy: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2012, 12:30:56 pm »
I think being 3 or 4 levels above most other players for months is reward enough : )

Compensate with a little cash, not loom points!

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2012, 01:08:02 pm »
Extra stat and skill points from leveling over 30 should be enough of a reward by itself.

Offline EyeBeat

• Earl
  • Renown: 432
  • Infamy: 175
  • 20th BEST PLAYER IN HOSPITALLER
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Hospitaller
  • Game nicks: EyeBeat_The_Wanderer
  • IRC nick: EyeBeat
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2012, 01:24:36 pm »
Instead of allowing for higher levels I'd rather see WPF gain removed from leveling, and adjusting WM to allow for higher WPF overall, not much though.

Someone has been reading my diary!

Put it back under my pillow plz.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Being a smallish community doesn't entitle you to act more like a dick than other communities.

Offline BlameMeForTheNoise

• Count
  • Renown: 189
  • Infamy: 21
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Varangian Guards
  • Game nicks: Vanguard_Sonjarr
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2012, 01:53:49 pm »
+1

I think giving the amount of heirloom-points "earned" in relation to xp would exactly do this. At least for me it would encourage me to retire at a higher level.
Imagine a 33-player who knows when he retires he gets only 1 point against a 33-player who knows he gets 3 points (But not exatly the same amount compared to the xp. More in the last paragraph). Not Über-points to make weapons +4 or +5 but simple normal Right-Now-+3-Loompoints.

I for one would have more zest to retire at high-level when I know I don't lose all the time invested in the first place.
I think it would encourage the people who are high level to finally retire when they want to play with a new class.
Right now (for me) it is more like:

"My Character is Level 33. I played so long with it, that I would like to change my class.
On the one hand i could do that if i retire.
On the other hand I invested an enormous amount of time to get here. All this time (or rather the difference between 31 and my current level) would be for nothing and lost if I actually do.
So even if I would rather retire, I keep playing to not get the sense that this huge amount of time is lost and was for nothing."

I think getting (some) loompoints will encourage peole (like me sometimes) who actually are tired of their build, to finally retire.
You could do some sort of compromise though. Instead of getting the same amount of loomoints you would have gotten if you had retired all the time, you get one or two less or so.

So in the end its not the same if you retire or not. Its still better if you retire regularly in comparison to retirement at high-level. But you don't have the feeling that all those extra-time you put in levels instead of generations is completely lost.
I for one think that this development would get rid of some high-level chars.

« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 02:01:12 pm by BlameMeForTheNoise »

Offline bredeus

• Earl
  • Renown: 392
  • Infamy: 85
  • there must be Peace
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Templars since 1096 AD
  • Game nicks: Templar_Brede
  • IRC nick: Brede
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2012, 02:59:04 pm »
Last time when we had a ocean of high level chars someone just switched off the light and we were all reborn.

Offline Turboflex

• Duke
  • Renown: 648
  • Infamy: 212
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ravens of Valhalla
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2012, 03:38:47 pm »
+1
The point is that not retiring isn't supposed to be super, it's supposed to be a trade off. You get an advantage (extra power), and as a trade off take on some disadvantages (no chadz text, loss of heirlooming).

That's the price you pay if you want a level 33 char with some kind of 27-21 build, or picking up perks like riding or throwing without sacrificing something like iron flesh.

Offline Meow

• Awesome Consulting Detective
  • King
  • Renown: 1071
  • Infamy: 150
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2012, 04:26:55 pm »
Yeah, some people here got it right.

Everyone above 31 made the choice to sacrifice heirlooms, ATHW, alt sacrifice and so on for those extra levels.

We think that is a fine balance and we do not want to encourage those people to retire but we want to discourage more people to go that way.

Everything is fine as it is and it will stay like that for now, most likely forever.

Offline HarunYahya

• Marshall
  • Renown: 965
  • Infamy: 309
  • cRPG Player
  • Proud Abdulla wielder
    • View Profile
  • Faction: BashiBazouks
  • Game nicks: HarunYahya,HarunShootya,Inan
  • IRC nick: HarunYahya
« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2012, 05:04:00 pm »
+1
Whole retirement system is to encourage players to retire. But how about players with level 33 or more? They may simply do not make it because will lose time and gain only 1 heirloom pont. How about implementing simple system, lvl 31 -1 heirloom, lvl 32 -3 h., lvl 33 -5 and so on.
This is silly.
Retirement already has it's advantages if you want them you can always retire.
My main was level 33 and so close to 34 i respecced like 4 or 5 times in few months and i retired 2 days ago when i was level 32.
I didn't need a major bonus for doing that because heirlooming an item and being able to craft new stuff in strategus is a magnificient bonus already.

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 335
  • Infamy: 545
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2012, 05:54:54 pm »
Last time when we had a ocean of high level chars someone just switched off the light and we were all reborn.

Before, there was a huge percentage of high level people. Right now there is 100-200 people over level 32 (if I'm wrong please correct me) but that isn't too much compared to active player community. Also this new system doesn't create as many high level chars previous system did.

If they kept old pre upkeep system till today 90% of us regulars would be level 45 and new people wouldn't have a chance against us.