Author Topic: Warband MMO, future of cRPG  (Read 4072 times)

Offline Sultan Eren

• Count
  • Renown: 217
  • Infamy: 113
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercs
  • Game nicks: Sultan Eren
Re: Warband MMO, future of cRPG
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2011, 03:39:39 pm »
I know it can but it's the sheer term that puts most of the "non hardcore" playerbase off. It's just how it is. I would love permadeath just for the kicks and the extra thrills, but it's the general playerbase that will suffer because of it. Experiencing literally hundreds of different MMO's I know how MMO community works nowadays.

I would suggest using UDK (Unreal development kit) for making the game. It's an easy to use game development software once you spend a few hours working on it. No real programming skills needed for the basic stuff. + graphics are win

You don't have to fight all the time in this game. Training, dueling, making money, crafting is what you have to do for a day. And when the war times comes you gotta be ready to survive.
Strating all over is not a big thing for a peasant. And for an average player it's 1 day job. If you are a tincan you don't die outside unless you are stupid. And if you die in a war people expect you to do great job in war.
Maybe we can think something like that: Stocking items in your house. When you born again you'll find your previous char's stocked items. If you are dead in a war and your side wins, your items will be automaticly saved to your newborn- it's your son. :)
I don't see any suffer. It's a game you don't fight with MOBs. Dueling and training is with practice swords don't kills you. So only way you die is go outside of the town defenceless, not with your friends -or a bandit trap. Other times you die in war...

Uhmm i did tried to program some stuff before but with BASIC. I did a horse racing game before but i don't think i can make it. Is this thing creates stand-alones? You suggest me to do a MMO from "0" with that stuff? I'll give it a try and look what it is but it sounds impossible. Thank you for your suggestion tho.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 03:42:32 pm by Sultan Eren »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2011, 03:59:27 pm »
You don't have to fight all the time in this game. Training, dueling, making money, crafting is what you have to do for a day. And when the war times comes you gotta be ready to survive.
Strating all over is not a big thing for a peasant. And for an average player it's 1 day job. If you are a tincan you don't die outside unless you are stupid. And if you die in a war people expect you to do great job in war.
Maybe we can think something like that: Stocking items in your house. When you born again you'll find your previous char's stocked items. If you are dead in a war and your side wins, your items will be automaticly saved to your newborn- it's your son. :)
I don't see any suffer. It's a game you don't fight with MOBs. Dueling and training is with practice swords don't kills you. So only way you die is go outside of the town defenceless, not with your friends -or a bandit trap. Other times you die in war...

Uhmm i did tried to program some stuff before but with BASIC. I did a horse racing game before but i don't think i can make it. Is this thing creates stand-alones? You suggest me to do a MMO from "0" with that stuff? I'll give it a try and look what it is but it sounds impossible. Thank you for your suggestion tho.

Yeah, UDK is actually just a tool to work with Unreal engine 3. You can make pretty much anything in it. From scratch :)

And if you wish to implement a permadeath system you really should use some sort of inheritance system too, so not all is lost (like you suggested). It's to cater to the general crowd.
You also need to make sure the players don't "finish" your game in a day (reach max level/ max gear in a day).

Offline Sultan Eren

• Count
  • Renown: 217
  • Infamy: 113
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercs
  • Game nicks: Sultan Eren
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2011, 04:04:46 pm »
Levelling can be like cRPG first 30 levels not that hard. After, the grind begins.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 04:06:39 pm by Sultan Eren »

Offline jspook

• Noble
  • Renown: 17
  • Infamy: 3
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
    • Auphan
  • Game nicks: Pit
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2011, 08:33:48 pm »
The only game I can think of that had permanent death was the jedi in star wars galaxies. And it was a disaster

EVE

and it is an ongoing success.  the player base for that game is only getting bigger by the day.  that was an independently developed game that has started to grow exponetially that continues to defy the MMO rules.

I like some of the ideas here, and the perma death thing would work well if it worked like retirement does.  if you die in combat, your heir gets your stuff and you have to re-level.  possibly even losing the items that were on the battlefield at that time.
that would make it a lot like EVE, actually.

edit:  after re-reading your OP it actually sounds EXACTLY like eve, just as a warband mod.  including the safezones.  Not original.  but still sounds like fun.  not everyone is into sci-fi after all...
« Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 08:37:29 pm by jspook »
"Scissors needs a nerf because he beats me every time, but rock is just fine" - paper

Offline 1slander

• Peasant
  • Renown: 6
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
  • Timing that sidestep is key to the 1h battle axe
    • View Profile
  • Faction: NORD
  • Game nicks: Araios, Pallas, Hammer. Formerly DRAC & Duke_of_Hazard
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2011, 12:50:42 am »
Griefers would rejoice over an opportunity to permadeath anyone in an mmo.  Doesn't sound epic to me tbh.  But that doesn't mean it can't be implemented somehow though.  Eve definately took steps in the right direction.  A sense of dread should be there, I mean it can't be easy mode.  Right between medium and hardcore mode is best imo.

People can talk, but actually creating an mmo is a huge endevour as well as costly.  So many big box names just fail.  They're all the same to some degree - I'm not open to debate on that I have played enough of them to know.  But I mean it's a medium right, the whole computer, mouse, keyboard and screen thing.  So how do we break out of that box and create something new?  I think people get carried away with themselves in the brain development of their 'idea' but the reality is stone cold fact that you need to actually sell a product and that product needs to be what they want beyond what you perhaps want to give them.  But being hardcore gamers I think nobody else would be able to begin to guess at what that would be quite as well.

If you guys were serious about any of this then I'd like to be a part of it.  But talking about it is like talking about the weather unless something actually becomes of it.  Not trolling here.  I think an honest effort is worth a try but it would cost time and money - both are equally important imo.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 12:52:31 am by 1slander »
Float like a butterfly sting like an axe

Offline Safavid

• Peasant
  • Infamy: 7
  • cRPG Player
  • "The Sultan's own...Sipahi of The Sublime Porte"
    • View Profile
    • The Islamic Union
  • Faction: The Turks (Kapikulu)
  • Game nicks: Kapikulu_Safavid
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2011, 01:02:33 am »
Warband MMO would be the best ever created due to the realistic game play. 
"Nasrun minallahi ve fethun garib. Ve bessiril Muminin!"

Other forum members should not be able to mute somebody by + or -.  That is the worst policy ever seen on a forum.  Look at me...muted due to biggotry for years!

Offline 1slander

• Peasant
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
  • Timing that sidestep is key to the 1h battle axe
    • View Profile
  • Faction: NORD
  • Game nicks: Araios, Pallas, Hammer. Formerly DRAC & Duke_of_Hazard
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2011, 01:05:11 am »
Warband MMO would be the best ever created due to the realistic game play.

I always thought an mmo that played more like a fps would be amazing.  But this - the midieval thing - that theme.  I think development takes so long that the graphics engine becomes dated before release to the public.  This is an assumption though.
Float like a butterfly sting like an axe