Author Topic: Buff hoplites  (Read 1634 times)

Offline Gravoth_iii

• King
  • Renown: 1454
  • Infamy: 341
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
  • \ [†] / ☼
    • View Profile
  • Faction: ▬▬ι═══════ﺤ
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_Gravoth, Prince_of_the_Land_of_Stench, Gravy, Igor_Boltsack
Buff hoplites
« on: March 08, 2012, 08:12:51 pm »
Hoplites right now are pretty weak as supports compared to pikemen. Unless you use a str build you will need to poke people 4+ times to kill, doing that with 1 attack direction, blockstun and a pretty big damage & speed penalty is hard. So i suggest decreasing/removing the damage & speed penalty on polearms with shields, and/or remove blockstun thingy for hoplite thrusts. Another nice thing would be to add an extra attack direction, maybe a left swing? Would help alot when fighting 1v1.   :)
Paprika: ...the Internet and dreams are similar. They're areas where the repressed conscious mind escapes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VXQSs1Qfcc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LW6y-kgKtA
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Cepeshi

• Earl
  • Renown: 467
  • Infamy: 200
  • cRPG Player
  • Relax, it is just a life...
    • View Profile
    • Wanna work with me? Ping for more info!
  • Faction: Deserters
  • Game nicks: Fapulena, Useless
  • IRC nick: Cepeshi
Re: Buff hoplites
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2012, 08:15:11 pm »
+4
I pity those fools who think hoplites are anything else but support role.

Offline Fartface

• Earl
  • Renown: 476
  • Infamy: 288
  • cRPG Player
  • Centurii
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Deathcore,Djentcore,Deathmetal,Brutal,Slam
  • Game nicks: Growling,Grunting,Screaming,Squeeling
  • IRC nick: Fuck I love it.
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2012, 08:23:36 pm »
+1
Well i kinda agree with this , because pikers got more damage more lengts and more speed, not having to waste points in shield is nnice to.
Hoplites got protection from archers but thats all .

Offline larlek

• Baron
  • Renown: 140
  • Infamy: 95
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Larlik PooperScooper Larlek
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2012, 08:26:34 pm »
+2
I don't see much harm in reducing the speed penalty a little. Hoplites are a fun class and need a little buff.

Offline Cepeshi

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2012, 08:39:10 pm »
+1
Again this discussion, come on. Either you are covered, slow as shit, do not oneshot things or you just grab a weapon without shield and voila. You should not be on same level as pikemen/spearmen without shield, as you got the cover advantage, you should be slower, cause you are carrying big ass shield.

The point of support class is guess what? Support. Not racking up kills. I think you might have chosen bad class for your char if you feel other way around. If you want to rack kills, drop the damn shield and go ahead ramboing as the others.

And to be honest, there is nothing more annoying than like 2-3 hoplites following the main blob, forces you to keep downblock, they spin around like fucking helicopters in order to land a kill, and i have already met some that were able to hit me thru downblock due to that fucking spin bullshit.

Hoplites are fine imho, i would not mind giving them awlpike back though.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 08:41:12 pm by Cepeshi »

Offline Gravoth_iii

• King
  • \ [†] / ☼
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_Gravoth, Prince_of_the_Land_of_Stench, Gravy, Igor_Boltsack
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2012, 08:59:44 pm »
Again this discussion, come on. Either you are covered, slow as shit, do not oneshot things or you just grab a weapon without shield and voila. You should not be on same level as pikemen/spearmen without shield, as you got the cover advantage, you should be slower, cause you are carrying big ass shield.

The point of support class is guess what? Support. Not racking up kills. I think you might have chosen bad class for your char if you feel other way around. If you want to rack kills, drop the damn shield and go ahead ramboing as the others.

And to be honest, there is nothing more annoying than like 2-3 hoplites following the main blob, forces you to keep downblock, they spin around like fucking helicopters in order to land a kill, and i have already met some that were able to hit me thru downblock due to that fucking spin bullshit.

Hoplites are fine imho, i would not mind giving them awlpike back though.

I agree that hoplites should not rack up kills, but i think they should still be a bit better than they currently are, a speed buff would definitely help alot.
Also the hitboxes for hoplites are terrible, gets stuck in everything that is to the right of you all the time, if this could be fixed i would also be happy.
And awlpike should be brought back for hoplites, idk why they removed it really..
Paprika: ...the Internet and dreams are similar. They're areas where the repressed conscious mind escapes.

Offline Cepeshi

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2012, 09:02:40 pm »
I agree that hoplites should not rack up kills, but i think they should still be a bit better than they currently are, a speed buff would definitely help alot.
Also the hitboxes for hoplites are terrible, gets stuck in everything that is to the right of you all the time, if this could be fixed i would also be happy.
And awlpike should be brought back for hoplites, idk why they removed it really..

Well, i do tend to get my sword stuck in places quite often aswell, annoying like hell when you are about to swing and your teammate running in to do whatever just gets your sword stuck and you get killed afterwards... damn. For the speedbonus i still have to disapprove, some of the hoplites i meet are able to outspam the shit out of me if they land in SINGLE hit, yet when i want to retaliate, they just press RMB. There should be some punishment for this, if in form of speedbonus, seems fine to me.

Offline Fuma Kotaro

• Marshall
  • Renown: 839
  • Infamy: 220
  • cRPG Player
  • I'm Fubadubbaduma
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Lone Duck
  • Game nicks: Fuma + sth
  • IRC nick: sF_Leonidas
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2012, 09:15:01 pm »
soo i was hoplite once and if u use the right weapons it is quit easy but thats now more for realism discussion they should add left and right swing cuz which hoplite couldnt hit from righr or left?

Offline Gravoth_iii

• King
  • \ [†] / ☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2012, 10:12:11 pm »
Well, i do tend to get my sword stuck in places quite often aswell, annoying like hell when you are about to swing and your teammate running in to do whatever just gets your sword stuck and you get killed afterwards... damn. For the speedbonus i still have to disapprove, some of the hoplites i meet are able to outspam the shit out of me if they land in SINGLE hit, yet when i want to retaliate, they just press RMB. There should be some punishment for this, if in form of speedbonus, seems fine to me.

There's no way a hoplite could've outspammed you :O We are slow as shit and half of the time i cant even retaliate because i wont be fast enough to attack back against 1hers..

Offline Cepeshi

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2012, 10:53:01 pm »
well, they do, combo of red tassel + one landed hit, i am screwed pretty much :) i might suck tho, but still, i actually fear hoplites with my 2her  :mrgreen:

Offline San

• Developer
  • Renown: 1456
  • Infamy: 143
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • 1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
    • View Profile
    • My youtube Brawl videos
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: San_of_Chaos
  • IRC nick: San
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2012, 11:44:57 pm »
Hoplites are pretty bad. They take like 6 hits to kill you, they can be spammed half of the time (depends on the build of the opponent) and can be chambered easier due to less risk/slower.

Hoplite shouldn't get a damage buff. It would be dumb to 2shot everything. However, a speed buff is fine and would give them some offensive pressure. Hoplites are good for defense if you have low hp and don't want to get yourself hurt since you can attack from a distance with a shield to cover you.

Edit: When i said pretty bad, I meant offensively.

I believe hoplites are pretty much the best defensive infantry. They don't have to worry about any class all too much. They are anti-cav and have protection against range. Against other infantry, they can take off their shield or switch to 1h. That's why I believe it's very nice to hybrid as one.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 12:15:06 am by san. »

Offline Jarlek

• King
  • Renown: 1173
  • Infamy: 307
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The walking wiki
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarlek_The_Blue, Jarla, Jarlen, Jarler, Jarlec, Jarled OH GOD ALL THESE ALTS
  • IRC nick: Jarlek
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2012, 03:07:57 am »
While hoplites have the best defensive capabilities of any class, they still have such bad offensive capabilities that they really should get a buff. Don't do anything with their damage, just remover (or at least lower) the speed nerf when using a polearm with shield. Currently it's roughly 30% and considering the longer recovery time after being downblocked..... it's just so easy to spam them. That's what I do, and I always feel bad afterwards :(
This game isn't about being skillful as much as its about saying things in general chat that enrage people who then go to murder you but in their rage they make dumb mistakes which gets them killed.
In memory of Jarlek_zeh_Blue, ruler of Ilvia

Offline FRANK_THE_TANK

• King
  • Renown: 1312
  • Infamy: 339
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
  • FluckCucker
    • View Profile
  • Faction: A Free and proud Peasant of Fisdnar!!!
  • Game nicks: FRANK_THE_TANK
  • IRC nick: Sippy sip
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2012, 03:38:18 am »
Why is it that when you block a pole arm thrust they cop such a huge recovery time?
Fammi un pompino!

I think I have ball cancer in my right nut :(
Good news everybody! It's not nut cancer :)
Bad news everybody, I got dumped :(

Offline oohillac

• Marshall
  • Renown: 724
  • Infamy: 146
  • cRPG Player
  • boys don't cry
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2012, 04:22:47 am »
I felt like my 24/15 hoplite with a Double-sided lance needed a nerf tbh, it was 1-shotting people and was easy to jump-stab with