Author Topic: Rule Check  (Read 2248 times)

Offline XyNox

• Marshall
  • Renown: 801
  • Infamy: 219
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Quincy Clan
  • Game nicks: Quincy_XyNox
Re: Rule Check
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2012, 10:02:48 pm »
+4
"First rule of em all: common sense"
- chadz

If people around you are being serious, while discussing whether stabbing weapons through solid objects in order to hit people, due to the game engine intended to be unreachable otherwise, is against the rules when playing a skillbased multiplayer game, you are probably playing ...

lololololol            nerfnerfnerf               lobbylobby
                    lol         lol          nerf       nerf           lobby     lobby
    my old friendmy old friend       lol          lol         nerf        nerf        lobby
  my old friend              lololololol            nerfnerfnerf        lobby
my old friend                lol      lol             nerf                   lobby       lobbylobby
my old friend                lol        lol           nerf                     lobby          lobby
  my old friend              lol          lol         nerf                       lobby     lobby
    my old friendmy old friend        lol           lol        nerf                         lobbylobby
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline RibaldRon

• Baron
  • Renown: 144
  • Infamy: 13
  • cRPG Player
  • why do butts
    • View Profile
  • Faction: LLJK
  • Game nicks: LLJK_RibaldRon
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2012, 10:26:39 pm »
I have to say that this intepretation being discussed is silly.

So you can't poke someone STRAIGHT through an object, but if you go STRAIGHT through the object and then TURN before you hit your enemy, it is OKAY?
I think that the difference is that in one case you abuse the pike's hitbox go go straight through a large solid object with no nearby openings in order to kill people who you cannot see on the other side (I.E. a tall village or castle wall) VS turning your swing around a corner to hit somebody in a tight space.

*Edit: I know the former is against the rules as I've seen it happen before, though the admin gave a pass on it as the player was the last alive, and out of map bounds.  Both players received warnings.  As for the latter it happens all the time and AFAIK is not against the rules.

Bolts fly out of the player's face, not out of the crossbow so I'm calling bullshit on this.
This has happened to me before on the duel server.  When somebody has a bow or crossbow I always let them take some shots first.  They ran right up to me, and I'm thinking.. what... the crossbow peeks through the shield and headshot.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 10:28:40 pm by RibaldRon »
signature removed: annoying

USA USA USA

Offline Cyclopsided

• Duke
  • Renown: 513
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Formerly "Marathon". #sluttiestAdmin
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CHAOS
  • Game nicks: Cyclopsided_of_Chaos, CYBD, Brunchlady
  • IRC nick: Cyclopsided
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2012, 11:00:07 pm »
This has happened to me before on the duel server.  When somebody has a bow or crossbow I always let them take some shots first.  They ran right up to me, and I'm thinking.. what... the crossbow peeks through the shield and headshot.
It's shooting over the shield. Even though they are aiming forward. Yeah...
Ever seen a thrower that mastered jump throwing? They run up close range, jump and throw down over shields and headshot people. Crossbows can sometimes just shoot over it by being close and it originating from their face.
Also, I have declared myself #1 NA hybrid thrower
Formerly known as Marathon.
As an NA admin, I am the most laid back and concerned with the ~fun of the game~ above all other factors. I've also been super inactive since Summer 2012. University takes most of my time, but I still find some time to play when i can.

Offline Penguin

• Duke
  • Renown: 670
  • Infamy: 121
  • cRPG Player
  • JesusChrist
    • View Profile
  • Faction: [A]rrows Incoming!
  • Game nicks: [Y]Retreat!
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2012, 11:48:38 pm »
I see a lot of the kutt and occitan guys intentionally doing this. It is clearly an exploit if you can repeatedly abuse it and poke players who physically cannot get to you without any danger to yourself. Admins should start kicking/banning this.
"As you gaze upon the cross, and long for conformity to him, be not weary or fearful because you cannot express in words what you seek. Ask him to plant the cross in your heart. Believe in him, the crucified and now living one, to dwell within you, and breathe his own mind there."

Offline Tanken

• King
  • Renown: 1463
  • Infamy: 395
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Faction: KUTT
  • Game nicks: Tanken
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2012, 02:38:30 am »
I see a lot of the kutt and occitan guys intentionally doing this. It is clearly an exploit if you can repeatedly abuse it and poke players who physically cannot get to you without any danger to yourself. Admins should start kicking/banning this.

Just playing by the rules Jesus, playing by the rules. It's been an accepted standard to curve your pike or spear around a corner for a long while. It most times does not deal anywhere near the damage you'd normally attract with a hit though, as Brunch Lady found out.
Below is a Collection of Finalists in my Design my Avatar contest -- They all did Awesome!
Thanks to all of those who contributed.

Offline TurmoilTom

• King
  • Renown: 1089
  • Infamy: 166
  • cRPG Player
  • Doesn't really play that much anymore
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2012, 03:02:10 am »
Ever seen a thrower that mastered jump throwing? They run up close range, jump and throw down over shields and headshot people. Crossbows can sometimes just shoot over it by being close and it originating from their face.

Oh man, I just remembered the first time Chestaclese jump headshotted me over my shield... I was a mad nerd for hours...

Offline Penguin

• Duke
  • Renown: 670
  • Infamy: 121
  • cRPG Player
  • JesusChrist
    • View Profile
  • Faction: [A]rrows Incoming!
  • Game nicks: [Y]Retreat!
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2012, 08:12:12 am »

Just playing by the rules Jesus, playing by the rules. It's been an accepted standard to curve your pike or spear around a corner for a long while. It most times does not deal anywhere near the damage you'd normally attract with a hit though, as Brunch Lady found out.

I guess it's an ethical issue then, and what separates the professional pikers from the peasant pikers  :mrgreen:
"As you gaze upon the cross, and long for conformity to him, be not weary or fearful because you cannot express in words what you seek. Ask him to plant the cross in your heart. Believe in him, the crucified and now living one, to dwell within you, and breathe his own mind there."

Offline Zlisch_The_Butcher

• King
  • Renown: 1272
  • Infamy: 971
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Faction: Frisian Church of Mork The Goat God
  • Game nicks: Zlisch
  • IRC nick: IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2012, 05:10:31 pm »
I throw like that all the time, I was actually pretty good at it at one point (I feel ma' skillz decline day by day), could even achieve it on EU_3 where the shielder got no distractions back then.
1H stab is the fastest, strongest and longest 1H animation. There's no reason NOT to use it in all instances. I don't know if it's OP, but it's boring. 1H used to be fun because you had a fast (left), long (right) and the most devastating attack (stab) and had to choose the best attack for each occasion.

Offline Crazyi

• Baron
  • Renown: 82
  • Infamy: 35
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Crazyi_KUTT, Crazyeye_KUTT, CrayCray
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2012, 06:09:47 am »
So I was just piked straight through a box on the tiny guantlet level. Reported it to the admins. No warning or anything was even said. So I would like to ask again whats up with this ruling? I would really love to see one of the head admins comment on this. I would like to abuse it too if nothing is going to be done to people who do it. I would much rather see it enforced but I like to play on an even field.

Offline Tanken

• King
  • Renown: 1463
  • Infamy: 395
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Tanken
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2012, 06:39:24 am »
(wasn't me!)

A lot of times people will jump, release the pike, and on your screen the pike will appear through the box. The best way to describe the pike's hitbox is a donut wrapping around the shaft of the pike starting at the midway area (thus why it goes through walls). Pikemen need to maneuver the pike to move that donut down the shaft and feed the donut to the enemy (sometimes your teammates inadvertently). So, with that said, start the pikes animation while coming around a wall is no different than a mauler starting theirs or someone slashing at the corner of a building, it's simply our animations take longer to trigger.

While I do agree stabbing directly through objects is pretty sad in itself, I cannot say I haven't done it unintentionally. There are times as a pikeman you say "Hmm, curving this pike around that corner worked...let's try getting it around this one." only to find that feasibly it wouldn't have worked in a realistic setting and sometimes just ends with you exploiting the wall and it looks really bad on your part. I try to avoid using the over-or-around wall stabs, simply because it induces complaints. It's not a big deal to curve it around walls or through windows or through doors (like the criss-crossing wooden ones that have openings).

What is a big deal is when you start curving it up OVER walls that are higher than your character's height, or start abusing thin object layers that you can stab through i.e. the vines in the cabbage patches or a slit in a wall you otherwise wouldn't be able to put the pike through and replicate the angle of it.

Hope that shines some light on what I think is "legal" and "illegal" when using the pike. Like I said before, I've unintentionally discovered a few glitches with it that I try to avoid but due to game mechanics you can't really control them. It all comes down to what is accepted by the admins and what isn't--and so far that line hasn't been drawn to a T that the community pushing for regulations on these things expect.
Below is a Collection of Finalists in my Design my Avatar contest -- They all did Awesome!
Thanks to all of those who contributed.

Offline Crazyi

• Baron
  • Renown: 82
  • Infamy: 35
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Crazyi_KUTT, Crazyeye_KUTT, CrayCray
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2012, 07:08:39 am »
Alright well I just wont stand next to stuff. Ty

Offline Hippy

• Peasant
  • Renown: 9
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fiber One
  • Game nicks: Oats
  • IRC nick: Oats
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2012, 11:05:43 am »
If the admins/developers want it to stop being exploited, instead of banning and kicking people why don't you make it not possible? If that's possible why the fuck we having these threads if they can change what so many people be getting sore about? If it's not possible then this is a really unsteady way to go about handing it.

I'm sure you could mess with the pike/hitboxes to make that not possible? Or maybe not, I'm unemployed, not a magician.
Ban all Reddit

Offline Rumblood

• King
  • Renown: 1199
  • Infamy: 420
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: GrannPappy
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2012, 02:36:40 pm »
Or maybe not, I'm unemployed, not a magician.

Coders are modern day magicians. Don't ask Merlin why the fuck he could only summon a Drake instead of a Dragon okay?
"I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday" – Abraham Lincoln

Offline Chestaclese

• Earl
  • Renown: 340
  • Infamy: 106
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Remnants
« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2012, 09:07:30 am »
Oh man, I just remembered the first time Chestaclese jump headshotted me over my shield... I was a mad nerd for hours...

Hahaha!
"Threatening Chesty with tea bagging is clearly not worth the effort. It is like offering sex addict an orgy." - BaleofGay.

"ILL OPEN MY GIFTS LATER MOM, IM BUSY FIGHTING CHESTACLES IN AN ONLINE HORSE SIMULATOR GAME." - Oprah Winafrey

“He's using everything he can to get me banned, admins please don't let him get away with this. He's ban baiting me, please help.” - Ducky_The_Banned