Author Topic: Guide to maximizing FPS and performance without hideous graphics!  (Read 39771 times)

Offline obitus

• Earl
  • Renown: 486
  • Infamy: 58
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SeAOv_H-hh0&hd=1
  • Faction: kings of kd
Re: Guide to maximizing FPS and performance without hideous graphics!
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2012, 04:30:34 am »
No need to cap your framerate at 60. Instead, cap your framerate at 123 (not 120), that way, if your vidcard can churn out more frames, it will.

Your vidcard can churn out more frames, but your monitor can't.  Everyone's monitor is between 60hz and 120hz (I personally have 120hz LG W2363D).  I just don't see the point in giving a monitor more FPS than its refresh rate, but I'm open to reasoning.

Offline Patoson

• Marshall
  • Renown: 784
  • Infamy: 138
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2012, 10:01:56 pm »
I've been playing many games (L4D, COD4, L4D2, etc.) with, at least, double of my monitor's refresh rate for the last couple of years. For L4D and L4D2, anything under 150 is stuttering for me. COD4 was nice at 125 fps. It's just a matter of taste. But anything under 100 fps is slow for me.

And I don't know what that "image tearing" thing you're talking about means, because, even if it occured, I don't really see it, whereas I do notice the framerate drops, which hurt a lot more. The only games I can play with VSync ON are strategy games or Heroes of Newerth, for example.

You will notice the difference between 60 and more especially when looking around with your mouse. The higher the framerate, the smoother your camera will move. Also, it helps a lot for melee in cRPG.

TL|DR: my favourite framerate for cRPG is 120. If I increase it, it's never stable. Less is painful.

Offline obitus

• Earl
  • Renown: 486
  • Infamy: 58
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SeAOv_H-hh0&hd=1
  • Faction: kings of kd
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2012, 06:10:07 pm »
I'd like to hear some others discuss possible merits of running higher FPS than a monitor's refresh rate.  As far as physics and electronics are concerned it doesn't make sense to do it...the only argument I could see is if a game's programming (hit detection, physics, calculations) is tied to the video frame rate.  If this is the case it makes sense to have a higher frame rate than your monitor, since you will have a programmatic advantage of rendering more frames than an opponent.

Physically though those extra frames sent to your monitor are useless.  I'll have to go google around and see what others have to say.

Offline Patoson

• Marshall
  • Renown: 784
  • Infamy: 138
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2012, 03:33:18 pm »
+3
It's not about physics, it's about what my eyes see. If I play at 120 fps and then at 60 fps, I see the game stutter, it's slow, and the mouse is less responsive.

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • Renown: 1844
  • Infamy: 371
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: No faction, methinks.
  • Game nicks: Sir_Christo, Christo, Cristo.
  • IRC nick: Christo
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2012, 05:19:40 pm »
It's not about physics, it's about what my eyes see. If I play at 120 fps and then at 60 fps, I see the game stutter, it's slow, and the mouse is less responsive.

This.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks to cmpxchg8b for the picture!

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2012, 01:42:48 am »
Yep. Anything under 100 fps will feel and look slower/stutter-y compared to above 100 fps.
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline _Tak_

• Earl
  • Renown: 459
  • Infamy: 195
  • cRPG Player
  • Retired Dev of FI2
    • View Profile
    • mod :D
  • Game nicks: LC
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2012, 03:16:39 pm »
(click to show/hide)

Offline zagibu

• cRPG President
  • King
  • Renown: 1436
  • Infamy: 228
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2012, 08:04:32 pm »

The problem is, that you don't see 120 fps, unless you have a monitor that has 120 Hz refresh rate. If you send 120 fps to a monitor with 60 Hz, you still only see 60 frames per second.

Now what has to be kept in mind is that fps is never constant (unless you play an older game on a top notch videocard, so that the videocard churns frames out so fast that the game becomes cpu-bound). But if you play at graphical settings, which yield 60 fps, this means that there will be situations where it will drop much below that. This is probably when you feel that the game stutters and when you feel the mouse is less responsive. Of course, if you have 120 fps at average, this means it has more room to go down and still be fluid.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 Why am I beswung by sharpe and pointed utensyls?

Offline The_Bloody_Nine

• Marshall
  • Renown: 946
  • Infamy: 108
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • "I am still alive"
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2012, 12:46:58 pm »
The problem is, that you don't see 120 fps, unless you have a monitor that has 120 Hz refresh rate. If you send 120 fps to a monitor with 60 Hz, you still only see 60 frames per second.

Now what has to be kept in mind is that fps is never constant (unless you play an older game on a top notch videocard, so that the videocard churns frames out so fast that the game becomes cpu-bound). But if you play at graphical settings, which yield 60 fps, this means that there will be situations where it will drop much below that. This is probably when you feel that the game stutters and when you feel the mouse is less responsive. Of course, if you have 120 fps at average, this means it has more room to go down and still be fluid.
vaguely right, but when I turn vsync on the reaction is constantly much slower and sluggish, its nothing happening at certain times. Without I have fps from around 120-300 depending on map and players (my CPU or even hard drive is probably the bottle neck, not Graphics Card).

My guess would be (I have no knowledge about these things) that despite the name v-sync it doesn't really synchronize the moment the monitor refreshes and frames are rendered, so both is happening 60 times per second but not at the same time. So when your monitor refreshes you get the image rendered a few miliseconds before. Sounds logical, eh? could be bullshit of course.

oh, and in my case forcing single threading drastically worsens performance, so this seems really depend on the used CPU.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 12:52:17 pm by The_Bloody_Nine »