Poll

should cav keep this kind of selection?

yes(only people with money should be able to play cav)
27 (36.5%)
no(skill should be playing a mayor part in the cav selection)
47 (63.5%)

Total Members Voted: 74

Author Topic: cavalry complaints  (Read 4435 times)

Offline Jarlek

• King
  • Renown: 1173
  • Infamy: 307
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The walking wiki
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarlek_The_Blue, Jarla, Jarlen, Jarler, Jarlec, Jarled OH GOD ALL THESE ALTS
  • IRC nick: Jarlek
Re: cavalry complaints
« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2012, 05:44:24 pm »
Seems to me that we have another Karasu/Jarlek in the making...
I like who this comes from.
This game isn't about being skillful as much as its about saying things in general chat that enrage people who then go to murder you but in their rage they make dumb mistakes which gets them killed.
In memory of Jarlek_zeh_Blue, ruler of Ilvia

Offline Son Of Odin

• King
  • Renown: 1856
  • Infamy: 338
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Sky belongs to Asagods as long as the raven flies.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Son_Of_Odin
« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2012, 05:47:04 pm »
If inflation goes like this the newcomers can play longer in whichever gear they want when they sell their first loompoint. If they don't play with totally insane gear, they are able to play several generations with that gold they got from that first point... Just my 2 cents
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

There is no sight in my third eye

Offline Renten

• Knight
  • Renown: 36
  • Infamy: 4
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2012, 06:07:00 pm »
Make cavs hoofs (clopping? meh) easier to hear from behind when they are going at or near full speed or just all the time. Ninja cav problems solved.

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
  • Renown: 828
  • Infamy: 223
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans
  • Game nicks: GK_Overdriven
« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2012, 12:08:09 am »
+1
Make cavs hoofs (clopping? meh) easier to hear from behind when they are going at or near full speed or just all the time. Ninja cav problems solved.

That can't be changed I think.

Anyway cav is fine. Now archer damage is better there's not really a problem. No need to come up with some silly solution to making it more 'skillfull' or whatever. The game is now pretty much balanced. No need to touch things unecessarily.

Offline Kivlov

• Knight
  • Renown: 27
  • Infamy: 10
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Tungsten_HATS
« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2012, 12:56:47 am »
Stay near pikeman
Wait for pikeman to stab horse anywhere so it rears
???
profit

IMHO, going to have to fix up how jacked up rearing horses is with polearms before you nerf them since you can stab them in the side and they stop and because the pikes quick enough, you get a free headshot out of it which usually kills even a champ cata.
HATS CLAN
meow

Offline Apsod

• Duke
  • Renown: 698
  • Infamy: 98
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Donate a few denari to the farmers of Calradia!
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Apsod
« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2012, 03:18:23 am »
That is client side, so you can make the sound higher yourselves. Some people used to do this during beta.

Offline Glyph

• Baron
  • Renown: 143
  • Infamy: 40
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
  • Turbulence incoming
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Horris
« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2012, 04:14:07 pm »
cavalry is balanced, and not to many people use it imo, but it isn't the cool cav i want to be playing becasue i don't want to be a ninja, and even with a large warhorse like i have it's difficult not to be one. and i can afford heavy cav, because i sold my looms, but not everyone can do that, which makes the selection unfair imo.
btw, if you just make sound of horses louder, it will just be a nerf, not getting rid of ninja horses.

Glyph you have obsessive Horse Archer and Horse hatred.
- Official diagnosis :)

Offline Penitent

• King
  • Renown: 1389
  • Infamy: 220
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Penitent_Turtler
« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2012, 06:58:19 pm »
+3
Cav is not the easiest class.  Go ahead and respec to one.  If you do super well, then congrats you are a good cav player.  If you die early and often, you are average.

Cav is very fragile (cuz of speed bonus)...even heavier horses like destriers.  This is true even more now with the cav nerf because leg damage got increased against horses.  Also, you have to be VERY picky on who you attack, from what angle, and what terrain is surrounding your target.  It is definitely a skill-based class, not just a  money one.  Infantry is easier to play because it is more forgiving of mistakes you may make.  If you make a mistake with cav, it will kill you more often than not.  It's a high risk/high reward class.   You have to be skilled to maximize your killing power and minimize your risk and exposure.

Yes, some maps are easier for cav to do well (Large, open ones) just like some maps are better for infantry or archers.  All-on-all, cav is well balanced.  I think they should remove the leg-damage nerf actually because now that archers are back up to snuff cav is balanced against them.

Offline polkafranzi

• Marshall
  • Renown: 814
  • Infamy: 276
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
  • pronouns: Nick/her
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fun clan - Burg Krems, join with main or alt!
  • Game nicks: Adelheid, Wulfing, Hildebrand, Vulferam, Sepp, Pippa (r.i.p), Minjy
« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2012, 08:40:22 pm »
+1
Cav is very fragile (cuz of speed bonus)...even heavier horses like destriers.  This is true even more now with the cav nerf because leg damage got increased against horses.

I use Champ Plated Charger and this rings very true.  Any decent hit on leg or head is fatal now.  I find the nerf too much but we cav aren't allowed to QQ our QQ credit has run out apparently (unlike ranged). 

My CPC can get taken down with 1 hit from a battleaxe, I have the videos cos we did some testing, just need to upload to YT then share.  The guy i test with had 8 PS, quite high but still srsly 1 hit lol.  Then you take into account the free hit enemy has when you get dismounted lol.

p.s. 3 overhead hits and 1 to his body with my MW HBS (5PS)...makes sense now why I read in the servers that people are saying nerf infantry.  Don't shoot the messenger.

2024: selling my thirty odd +3 items for rl money, don't think i need them anymore tbh. pm me

Offline vinnytk

• Baron
  • Renown: 99
  • Infamy: 29
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: USA USA USA USA
  • Game nicks: USA_BARACK_OBAMA_AMERICA
« Reply #39 on: February 20, 2012, 08:59:48 pm »
I don't get the complaints about ninja cav.  Infantry bitch constantly about heavy horses being OP so they made them die in 2 hits so obviously the cav player is going to be more selective about targets and not do front engagements.

And it isn't to cheap, every heavy cav I know is selling looms to infantry pay for upkeep.  If anything this shows infantry aren't paying enough upkeep if they can afford a half mil gold for a loom

Offline Jarlek

• King
  • Renown: 1173
  • Infamy: 307
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The walking wiki
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarlek_The_Blue, Jarla, Jarlen, Jarler, Jarlec, Jarled OH GOD ALL THESE ALTS
  • IRC nick: Jarlek
« Reply #40 on: February 20, 2012, 09:00:51 pm »
Cav is not the easiest class.  Go ahead and respec to one.  If you do super well, then congrats you are a good cav player.  If you die early and often, you are average.

Cav is very fragile (cuz of speed bonus)...even heavier horses like destriers.  This is true even more now with the cav nerf because leg damage got increased against horses.  Also, you have to be VERY picky on who you attack, from what angle, and what terrain is surrounding your target.  It is definitely a skill-based class, not just a  money one.  Infantry is easier to play because it is more forgiving of mistakes you may make.  If you make a mistake with cav, it will kill you more often than not.  It's a high risk/high reward class.   You have to be skilled to maximize your killing power and minimize your risk and exposure.

Yes, some maps are easier for cav to do well (Large, open ones) just like some maps are better for infantry or archers.  All-on-all, cav is well balanced.  I think they should remove the leg-damage nerf actually because now that archers are back up to snuff cav is balanced against them.
I kinda disagree with this. Mainly with the wording. Cav isn't about being "skilled" it's about being smart. With cavalry you have to outsmart, not outskill your opponent. Other than that, I completely agree.
This game isn't about being skillful as much as its about saying things in general chat that enrage people who then go to murder you but in their rage they make dumb mistakes which gets them killed.
In memory of Jarlek_zeh_Blue, ruler of Ilvia

Offline Penitent

• King
  • Renown: 1389
  • Infamy: 220
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Penitent_Turtler
« Reply #41 on: February 20, 2012, 09:22:16 pm »
I kinda disagree with this. Mainly with the wording. Cav isn't about being "skilled" it's about being smart. With cavalry you have to outsmart, not outskill your opponent. Other than that, I completely agree.

Ahh I see what you mean.  I guess I meant "skill in strategic thinking" and planning ahead.  It's a kind of skill, but not the same as manual blocking skill or something like that.  Either way, Cav is NOT an "I have a lot of money so I win" class.  Not even close.

How do we get more QQ credits?  I think cav is too fragile now.

Offline Farrix

• Baron
  • Renown: 122
  • Infamy: 77
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 21, 2012, 12:45:34 am »
I've played cav from the git-go. I've always played cav with moderate hybrid for infantry. Cavalry in a map is like air power, especially with all the extra HA and Xbow cav we're seeing these days. If one side's cavalry can eliminate the other side's cavalry then most likely, their side will win the battle. If your side keeps losing by getting destroyed in the last 2 minutes of the battle by the enemy cav, don't cry and moan about their cavalry being OP, instead cry and moan about your cav not being able to do their most important and initial job in any battle and most likely your cav are a majority HA and Xbow. Without lancers, a team's cav force will have very little effect on the enemy cav. Sure ya'll say cav should go after archers, but the first thing I ever do, and most cav ever do is look for the enemy cavalry.

The only solution I would consider and will propose now: Figure out a way to alter the autobalance so that it recognizes who and how many are playing cavalry in a map. Ensure that each team has a relatively even number of cav. HA/Xbow cav should not have any special effect as these players have decided on a hybrid that may survive longer, but does the job of both archers and cav halfass.

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 21, 2012, 01:03:08 am »
I've played cav from the git-go. I've always played cav with moderate hybrid for infantry. Cavalry in a map is like air power, especially with all the extra HA and Xbow cav we're seeing these days. If one side's cavalry can eliminate the other side's cavalry then most likely, their side will win the battle. If your side keeps losing by getting destroyed in the last 2 minutes of the battle by the enemy cav, don't cry and moan about their cavalry being OP, instead cry and moan about your cav not being able to do their most important and initial job in any battle and most likely your cav are a majority HA and Xbow. Without lancers, a team's cav force will have very little effect on the enemy cav. Sure ya'll say cav should go after archers, but the first thing I ever do, and most cav ever do is look for the enemy cavalry.

The only solution I would consider and will propose now: Figure out a way to alter the autobalance so that it recognizes who and how many are playing cavalry in a map. Ensure that each team has a relatively even number of cav. HA/Xbow cav should not have any special effect as these players have decided on a hybrid that may survive longer, but does the job of both archers and cav halfass.

Most lancers I know tend to avoid direct encounters with other lancers, because it really is too random and can make you die very early. It's your team's HA/HC job to take out enemy melee cav that venture too far from their blob.

Offline Literally_Circler

• Noble
  • Renown: 20
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Literally a Clan
« Reply #44 on: February 21, 2012, 05:20:06 am »
Most lancers I know tend to avoid direct encounters with other lancers, because it really is too random and can make you die very early. It's your team's HA/HC job to take out enemy melee cav that venture too far from their blob.

i always go for other lancers since i see them as a both a high threat to my team, and a challenge