Author Topic: Generation, Xp/Gold System, Heirlooms, Heirloom Respec, Game Mechanic Suggestion  (Read 3577 times)

Offline Konrax

• Count
  • Renown: 281
  • Infamy: 107
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Konrax of Chaos
chadz said recently that he wanted heirlooms to be special and more rare with his mod but with the whole retirement system of the game counters this goal.

This is my game mechanic suggestion:

For a first generation player the gold/xp gain per minute would be 50gold/1250xp (Bit faster compared to now since its so slow apparently).

Each time a player retires they get an heirloom, and +1 gold and -25 xp per minute (+2% gold and -2% xp per generation). What this does is it gives a small gold increase to higher generation players to use better gear, but also make them have to fight longer to get the levels they need to retire.  Also with the reduced xp system the amount of time it should take get a new heirloom will only be slightly longer than the time before.

With the current xp bonus you get eventually you hit a point where you will be gaining heirlooms far faster then any new player to the mod thus discouraging them from wanting to play the mod and giving an overpowered edge to the binge player.

This would make the generational gap smaller but still allow for a nearly limitless amount of game play. Also alternate characters would become an option again.

As an alternate option for retirement at level 31 allow for an heirloom re-specialization to a single item for the player at no generational gain (no +1 gold/-25 xp per minute). This way players have the option to change heirloomed items with a time investment that becomes increasing the higher generation you are.

So with my suggested tweaking of the current system in all fairness everyone would have to be reduced in gens to really make it fair given how easy it was to do this in the past. I would recommend something like generation/3 rounded up for up to generation 9, generation 10-15 is reduced to gen 4, generation 15+ is reduced to generation 5.

This would then make heirlooming and retiring more difficult over time, and justify having a better reward overall for heirlooming in general.

Anyone see any problems with doing something like this? Suggestions?
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 08:47:40 pm by Konrax »

Offline Duke

• Knight
  • Renown: 38
  • Infamy: 9
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
For ranged weaponry: Perhaps every kill-shot over X difficulty would have a small chance of 'leveling up' the weapon to Heirloom status.  The higher the shot difficulty, the better the chance.

( I realize online & c-RPG do not display shot difficulty, but I wish they did.  I'm assuming it still tracks it, just without displaying it)

--------------------------------------------------------

As for everything else... I guess you would just have to use them a lot.  So to 'level up' that expensive item, you actually have to use it.  You can no longer simply let it collect dust, or buy it right before you retire at lv 31.

To prevent players from having infinite heirlooms, perhaps you can only keep as many heirlooms as you have Generations.  Meaning, if you retire and your new guy will be Generation 6, you may then hold up to 6 heirlooms.  When it levels up, it awaits your confirmation on the site to heirloom it.  In this method, you could 'prime' a ton of items but wait until you've adequately retired to unlock them all.

I'd say once an item is 'leveled up' once, the default 'level up' chance for that item is drastically reduced.  Meaning it's much harder to make it hit lv 2, and harder yet to hit lv 3. In addition to higher Generations holding more heirlooms, perhaps each Generation number increases your chance to level up items (albeit barely)

I realize this makes it sound like Heirlooms would be more common instead of more rare, so the level up chances would have to be really low, as well as have pre-requisites (like the ranged shot difficulty).  I can't really think of any good ideas for non-ranged weapons or armor, and even if I did they'd be too farmable. (Probably better to keep them secret)

Edit: If chadz, or whoever would program it, likes the idea and wants more thoughts, I'd be glad to brainstorm in private.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 09:19:43 pm by Duke »

Offline IRunUDie

• Noble
  • Renown: 13
  • Infamy: 61
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Ninja_Freestyler
chadz said recently that he wanted heirlooms to be special and more rare with his mod but with the whole retirement system of the game counters this goal.

This is my game mechanic suggestion:

For a first generation player the gold/xp gain per minute would be 50gold/1250xp (Bit faster compared to now since its so slow apparently).

Each time a player retires they get an heirloom, and +1 gold and -25 xp per minute (+2% gold and -2% xp per generation). What this does is it gives a small gold increase to higher generation players to use better gear, but also make them have to fight longer to get the levels they need to retire.  Also with the reduced xp system the amount of time it should take get a new heirloom will only be slightly longer than the time before.

With the current xp bonus you get eventually you hit a point where you will be gaining heirlooms far faster then any new player to the mod thus discouraging them from wanting to play the mod and giving an overpowered edge to the binge player.

This would make the generational gap smaller but still allow for a nearly limitless amount of game play. Also alternate characters would become an option again.

As an alternate option for retirement at level 31 allow for an heirloom re-specialization to a single item for the player at no generational gain (no +1 gold/-25 xp per minute). This way players have the option to change heirloomed items with a time investment that becomes increasing the higher generation you are.

So with my suggested tweaking of the current system in all fairness everyone would have to be reduced in gens to really make it fair given how easy it was to do this in the past. I would recommend something like generation/3 rounded up for up to generation 9, generation 10-15 is reduced to gen 4, generation 15+ is reduced to generation 5.

This would then make heirlooming and retiring more difficult over time, and justify having a better reward overall for heirlooming in general.

Anyone see any problems with doing something like this? Suggestions?
+1 for bold area good suggestion

Offline Konrax

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
I don't think they can really track that kind of stuff Duke, and please start your own thread if you want to make a suggestion completely different than my own.

Offline Duke

• Knight
  • Renown: 38
  • Infamy: 9
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
I don't think they can really track that kind of stuff Duke, and please start your own thread if you want to make a suggestion completely different than my own.

Yeah, sorry if you thought I was hijacking.  I'm just weary of starting new topics, I guess.

Offline Konrax

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Np Duke, although I think your idea would be cool too but I think chadz made a comment saying it would be impossible to implement a system that records even what gear is damaged during a battle.

Offline Konrax

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Bump~

Offline Sphinxer

• Knight
  • Renown: 53
  • Infamy: 16
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: _Sphinx_
Many agrees it's stupid that when you retire, the next retirement is faster to achieve , and the next one even faster, and on and on and on ...

If you check in bigger scale , someone who has retired 30 times will level so much faster than the new guy , but the new guy doesn't have all of his gears heirloomed 3 times each ...

It should get harder or take longer to level , not the opposite way so I'm +1 for the -% exp and +% gold

Anyway , once Strategus comes back up, if you retired 10 times or never , it won't change much since you have to wear what they'll give you. No more heirloomed weapons

Offline Wiegraf_BRD

• Noble
  • Renown: 22
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
  • 我行我素
    • View Profile
    • 土豆網 > Google
  • Faction: Taiwanese and Chinese Army
  • Game nicks: Wretch. The_Mayor.
Could be uber evil and put a limit on the amount of retirements, thus putting  a limit on heriloom items.

Or have no exp  bonuses when you retire: Retiring only gives you an heirloom . 
My response:  diet bro ur fat

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Simply removing the extra xp when retiring would do the trick. Or reverse it to be honest, for example:
Gen1 - 100% extra xp
Gen2 - 70% extra xp
Gen3 - 30% extra xp
Gen4+ - no extra xp, 10% extra gold (+10 each gen up to 50% or even more).

This way everyone starting up would have one mw heirloom fairly fast and the retirement grinders would just have the advantage of more heirloomed items and more gold.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 11:15:47 am by Vibe »

Offline LordBerenger

• King
  • Renown: 1492
  • Infamy: 859
  • cRPG Player
  • Jesus is the savior of Earth
    • View Profile
Say hello to Plated Charger/Tincan madness then lol

Much gold for em o.O
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Say hello to Plated Charger/Tincan madness then lol

Much gold for em o.O

Those who grind they're asses off have too much gold anyway and can continuously use their elephants and tincans

Offline bruce

• Count
  • Renown: 262
  • Infamy: 61
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: the Freak Army of the Gnjus / Saracens
  • Game nicks: Saracen_el_Brus
Upkeep should never be something you nullify by grinding for XY retirements.

Best ban reason ever:
Quote from: Wookimonsta
I checked, the only Vagabond I found was Wolves_Vagabond_TheCruel, that guy is now unbanned. Ban reason was: "calling Zotte a cockswoggler".

Offline Konrax

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
I don't think 1 extra gold per minute per retirement will really be enough to allow you to ride a charger ever round.

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
I don't think 1 extra gold per minute per retirement will really be enough to allow you to ride a charger ever round.

Yup.

35-40K for sustainable builds, now take a look at the horse costs. With this, you could do a sustainable plated charger if you were naked and retired 50 times (iirc the charger is 70k or so, right? For the plated one?) Not that scared...
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.