Poll

Should this happen?

Aye.
Nay.
With stipulations (specify please)

Author Topic: Make the entirety of a long spear/pike shaft active  (Read 1061 times)

Offline Brrrak

• Earl
  • Renown: 442
  • Infamy: 63
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Brrrak
Make the entirety of a long spear/pike shaft active
« on: February 12, 2012, 03:14:09 am »
+1
Ohhh man, I love the long spear and the pike.  In anyone's hands they are great for deterring cav, good for support, and nice for group crowd control.  In the right hands, it's a viable weapon even in a 1v1 situation, with plenty of tricks and maneuvers that allow a one-direction, unbalanced, slow weapon to defeat a competent opponent.  Fighting a long spear or pike, for me, is fun, and fighting with one is even more fun.  There's so much that it can do, even with so much that it can't do.  I almost have no problems with it, I love it.  Except for one tiny issue.

There's a good portion of the shaft that just phases through stuff like it doesn't exist.  This, in and of itself, is enough to make me rage.  Why?

• You can stab "through" opponents and teammates alike.
  • You can stab "through" walls.
  • You can stab "through" corners.
  • You can "miss" an opponent and strike a friendly/the ground/some other opponent.

Of course, I'm aware there's an issue with making the entire shaft active, since thrusts are strongest from the middle of the animation.  The most poignant refutation to this suggestion I've received is that it would make the long spear and pike a lightsaber, which is the exact opposite of it should be.  It shouldn't phase through material, and it shouldn't deliver full damage by lightly whapping someone against the side.  If you think it should, turn off the wuxia movies and think rationally.

So, how about this (if it's even possible): make the entire shaft active, but points beyond the head whiff.  This will still induce weapon stun from poorly timed and placed hits while doing little to no damage, but remove certain anomalies from the weapon. 

Why should I want this?

Long Spear and Pike Users
  • You no longer need to worry about phasing through into the ground.
  • You no longer need to worry about phasing through to hit a friendly.
Non-users
  • Long spears and pikes can't warp through material to hit you.
  • Poorly aimed shots will leave the user more open to counter attack.
(click to show/hide)

Offline cmp

• M:BG Developer
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 2052
  • Infamy: 569
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: cmp
Re: Make the entirety of a long spear/pike shaft active
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2012, 03:23:42 am »
+1
The main problem is that nobody knows why they act like that (and even less how to fix it).

Offline Brrrak

• Earl
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2012, 03:25:17 am »
The main problem is that nobody knows why they act like that (and even less how to fix it).

I figured that might have something to do with it, I can't be the first person who's thought of this.  Still, couldn't hurt seeing if it'd been considered or not.  Thanks for the quick reply, cmp.

Offline Zerran

• Count
  • Renown: 276
  • Infamy: 48
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: KUTT
  • Game nicks: Caita_KUTT, Fellys_KUTT
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2012, 03:38:06 am »
Even were this to be implemented, there would be even more crying, as it would allow them to truly hit at facehugging range. People already complain bitterly because they can get hit halfway down the shaft, imagine the crying if they get killed while touching the other character's hitbox.  :lol:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Brrrak

• Earl
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2012, 03:42:10 am »
Even were this to be implemented, there would be even more crying, as it would allow them to truly hit at facehugging range. People already complain bitterly because they can get hit halfway down the shaft, imagine the crying if they get killed while touching the other character's hitbox.  :lol:

So, how about this (if it's even possible): make the entire shaft active, but points beyond the head whiff.

But these are simply pipe dreams.

Offline dodnet

• Duke
  • Renown: 595
  • Infamy: 149
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Wolpertinger
  • Game nicks: DoD, DoD_Wolper
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2012, 09:55:26 am »
As much as I would like this for realism (I use long spear too), I think it will make the long spear almost unusable except you are alone with only an enemy around. You will get "stuck" on any obstacle.
And if they change something for the long spear/pike, it should be changed for all weapons. Its stupid that you can thrust with a 2h into empty air and turn around to stab into the enemy.
The logic of war seems to be that if a belligerent can fight he will fight.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Zerran

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2012, 10:14:25 am »
As much as I would like this for realism (I use long spear too), I think it will make the long spear almost unusable except you are alone with only an enemy around. You will get "stuck" on any obstacle.
And if they change something for the long spear/pike, it should be changed for all weapons. Its stupid that you can thrust with a 2h into empty air and turn around to stab into the enemy.

Pretty much this. All weapons have weird quirks, the ones that the pike and longspear have are just the most obvious.

Offline FRANK_THE_TANK

• King
  • Renown: 1312
  • Infamy: 339
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
  • FluckCucker
    • View Profile
  • Faction: A Free and proud Peasant of Fisdnar!!!
  • Game nicks: FRANK_THE_TANK
  • IRC nick: Sippy sip
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2012, 02:56:41 pm »
+2
Would be a great fix. Its one of those things you get use to, but it just feels so stupid when you get stabbed by the impossible.
Fammi un pompino!

I think I have ball cancer in my right nut :(
Good news everybody! It's not nut cancer :)
Bad news everybody, I got dumped :(

Offline MrIlluminati

• Knight
  • Renown: 76
  • Infamy: 6
  • So be it.
    • View Profile
    • ^^
  • Faction: PRO
  • Game nicks: Illuminati
  • IRC nick: Illuminati
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2012, 07:54:03 pm »
The shaft does not have collision, and if the devs for C-RPG cannot find a fix for attacking around walls / teammates / enemies, remove the pike / long spear entirely. It really sucks to get hit around a corner / teammate / enemy. Even though other weapons are still subjected to this glitch, the pike / long spears huge length makes it more viable to this exploit, people who use the pike / long spear almost entirely focus on this exploit.

Another idea is similar to banning for weapons that are not supposed to be used on cav, being used on cav. Ban people who solely exploit attacking around things.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2012, 08:09:07 pm by MrIlluminati »

Offline Zerran

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2012, 02:09:56 am »
Another idea is similar to banning for weapons that are not supposed to be used on cav, being used on cav. Ban people who solely exploit attacking around things.

There are rules regarding this, btw. We already aren't allowed to simply stand next to an object and thrust directly through it, we have to curve around it.

It's not as easy as you might think to avoid hitting around teammates when in a large group. If the pike has this ability removed (or make it bannable) then it essentially becomes an obsolete weapon for large groups.

These weapons have a very unique fighting style, don't remove them.  :| Hell, the pike at least isn't even difficult to counter. As long as you're right next to them, they cannot hit you without moving away. The longspear can be a bit trickier to deal with in this regard, but in return for that it can't hit around teammates as easily. They're fine as they are, if you die to them, it's your own fault. They follow a very specific set of rules, just like every other weapon.