Poll

Any class you think is too strong in the current version of the game?

Yes, Infantry
Yes, Ranged
Yes, Cavalry
Yes, Some of the hybrid classes (Horse archers, Throwing/1h/shield, Crossbow/2h and more)
No, Current balance is pretty even right now

Author Topic: The current problems with cavalry (Poll)  (Read 4111 times)

Offline TurmoilTom

• King
  • Renown: 1089
  • Infamy: 166
  • cRPG Player
  • Doesn't really play that much anymore
    • View Profile
  • Faction: KUTT
Re: The current problems with cavalry (Poll)
« Reply #45 on: February 04, 2012, 02:38:56 am »
My KDR has taken a nosedive ever since I started playing as cavalry.

True story.

Offline zagibu

• cRPG President
  • King
  • Renown: 1436
  • Infamy: 228
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 04, 2012, 03:06:17 am »
I still think they should make horses less maneouverable, give them more hp, and increase bump damage a lot. Also, spears should only rear horses when perfectly in front of horse (< 10° angle to the side or something), or when in a special x-mode (which probably can't be done anymore, because x is already used for many polearms).
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 Why am I beswung by sharpe and pointed utensyls?

Offline Gurnisson

• King
  • Renown: 1750
  • Infamy: 362
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
  • Game nicks: SeaRaider_Gurnisson
« Reply #47 on: February 04, 2012, 03:24:13 am »
The amount of cav is sickening, I counted 22 on my team and 15-20 on the enemy team on eu 1 today. It was a flat map where the cav of each team decided the outcome of the rounds. Cavalry is not really overpowered, but the amount should be lowered somehow and some tweaks could be nice. Higher speed to knock someone down would be nice and shield not magically stopping projectiles/melee attacks that should normally hit the horse would also be good.

Biggest problem is the actual usage of the brain from most of the people on the server. If you see a lot of cav, do you really want to be standing alone in the open? I saw a lot guys trying to get to some ruins or inside a fence, but too many was taken down outside those places, which made them easy prey at the end of the round.

Didn't get any screenshots covering all the cav since most of them split around at the very start, but there were tons of them. I got a screenshot showing some of them at least
(click to show/hide)

Also, another problem with cav is that any hybrid can dump some points into riding while still be perfectly good soldiers while on foot. I made one of the most stupid builds in history, and would by no mean feel sad if it wouldn't have been any good, but it's still viable since cav only needs 1-2 hits to kill any enemy.

(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
I voted Gurnisson cause of his fucking bendy pike, I swear noone can roflcopter stab like he can.

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #48 on: February 04, 2012, 03:27:59 am »
+2
Stop nerfing shit, what ever the end decision, and for the love of god fix a baseline and buff from there. Any more nerfs and it will take forever to murder someone properly... With Anything...

I voted Cav...
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline MeevarTheMighty

• Count
  • Renown: 242
  • Infamy: 56
    • View Profile
    • http://www.afp.gov.au/what-we-do/
  • Faction: RDP
  • Game nicks: Genemeve et al
« Reply #49 on: February 04, 2012, 04:59:00 am »
The amount of cav is sickening, I counted 22 on my team and 15-20 on the enemy team on eu 1 today. It was a flat map where the cav of each team decided the outcome of the rounds. Cavalry is not really overpowered, but the amount should be lowered somehow and some tweaks could be nice. Higher speed to knock someone down would be nice and shield not magically stopping projectiles/melee attacks that should normally hit the horse would also be good.

Biggest problem is the actual usage of the brain from most of the people on the server. If you see a lot of cav, do you really want to be standing alone in the open? I saw a lot guys trying to get to some ruins or inside a fence, but too many was taken down outside those places, which made them easy prey at the end of the round.

Didn't get any screenshots covering all the cav since most of them split around at the very start, but there were tons of them. I got a screenshot showing some of them at least
(click to show/hide)

Also, another problem with cav is that any hybrid can dump some points into riding while still be perfectly good soldiers while on foot. I made one of the most stupid builds in history, and would by no mean feel sad if it wouldn't have been any good, but it's still viable since cav only needs 1-2 hits to kill any enemy.

(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)

This isn't CoD or Street Fighter, it features cavalry and irl, they were numerous. Both major sides during the crusades had a number of cavalry comparable to that of infantry. There are countless medieval battles in which at least one side featured only cavalry, even discounting those involving Asiatic cavalry-only civilisations like the Mongols, Tartars, Alans etc.

If you feel sick to see cavalry, perhaps you're not cut out to play a medieval battle simulator. That's cool, there's always c-rpg duels. :P

Offline dodnet

• Duke
  • Renown: 595
  • Infamy: 149
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Wolpertinger
  • Game nicks: DoD, DoD_Wolper
« Reply #50 on: February 04, 2012, 10:14:52 am »
Some people forget that in the medieval era, many armies were all cavalry, others were half. It is unrealistic to mandate that they should only be a small fraction of an army.

Some ppl forget that this game isn't about one team rolling over the other constantly without any losses. There has to be some kind of balance to be fun for all. Also in real battles there were armies of hundreds and thousands of soldiers were the battles here are around 120 ppl max. And the numbers between the enemy parties were often different. So one side might have 50k cavalry were the other consists of 100k infantry. That might be balanced but as teams in cRPG are mostly with the same amount of ppl it breaks balance.

If you can't kill the rider without killing the horse, I would strongly suggest you reinstall the game and stop half way.

If you use a Light Lance on foot like I do (yes, may be stupid but I like it   8-)) its hard to kill a rider heading for you with a couched lance or a 1h and shield without downing the horse first.

I think cav itself isn't really OP (at least it has to be a bit OP as it is cav!), just the amount of cav is a problem.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 10:22:23 am by dodnet »
The logic of war seems to be that if a belligerent can fight he will fight.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Arkonor

• Knight
  • Renown: 72
  • Infamy: 39
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Arkonor
« Reply #51 on: February 04, 2012, 11:03:51 am »
I think cav itself isn't really OP (at least it has to be a bit OP as it is cav!), just the amount of cav is a problem.

I do think the game should be balanced so same amount of upkeep is balanced.

It is fine that people can empty their gold storage slowly by playing heavy cavalry with heavy armor and be stronger then people spending less.
But if you think about the difference between being on foot or on a Rouncey for example it is huge with the right weapon and skill.

What I am trying to say here is that imagine a graph for each 3 class. Where you would put upkeep cost on the X and K/D ratio on the Y.
The graphs wouldn't look anything alike.

Infantry graph would go fast up but once you reach about 10k it will go really slowly up and probably even down once you are forced to wear heavy armor to make that upkeep.

Archers graph would set the power pretty much all around the same amount of upkeep. Since they have no real options anymore what to pick. Play like this or don't play an archer.

Cavalry on the other hand would always go up with higher upkeep and the peak would be higher then the other two for sure. Which is fine if the game makes the neutral zone be balanced.

In short : The solution to balance is to make every classes peak at the 0-50000 gold upkeep zone to be the same. Everything higher then that can't be supported without giving something up (Loom points or negative on your vault). Best would obviously be to make it actually valuable for all the classes to be near the upkeep zone so we see fewer players get huge vaults.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 11:14:23 am by Arkonor »

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 1325
  • Infamy: 237
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 04, 2012, 11:58:18 am »
This isn't CoD or Street Fighter, it features cavalry and irl, they were numerous. Both major sides during the crusades had a number of cavalry comparable to that of infantry. There are countless medieval battles in which at least one side featured only cavalry, even discounting those involving Asiatic cavalry-only civilisations like the Mongols, Tartars, Alans etc.

If you feel sick to see cavalry, perhaps you're not cut out to play a medieval battle simulator. That's cool, there's always c-rpg duels. :P

Orly?

I wonder why we don't have the same amount of people using public transportation and those who own Ferrari's...

Offline dodnet

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 04, 2012, 12:14:48 pm »
I do think the game should be balanced so same amount of upkeep is balanced.

So lowering cav upkeep solves the problem? RLY? It would increase usage of cav even more.  :shock:

But maybe I just misunderstood what you wanted to say...

(click to show/hide)

Offline Gurnisson

• King
  • Renown: 1750
  • Infamy: 362
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
  • Game nicks: SeaRaider_Gurnisson
« Reply #54 on: February 04, 2012, 12:17:21 pm »

Scurry off back to the realism board please. :wink:
I voted Gurnisson cause of his fucking bendy pike, I swear noone can roflcopter stab like he can.

Offline Arkonor

• Knight
  • Renown: 72
  • Infamy: 39
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Arkonor
« Reply #55 on: February 04, 2012, 12:23:53 pm »
So lowering cav upkeep solves the problem? RLY? It would increase usage of cav even more.  :shock:

But maybe I just misunderstood what you wanted to say...

Yeah you misunderstood it. Is saying the balance(strength) of the classes should be balanced around how much they pay.

So a poor guy that gets an equus africanus asinus and finds some broken piece of a tree isn't more effective then someone that actually owns a sword.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 12:25:21 pm by Arkonor »

Offline dodnet

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 04, 2012, 12:24:58 pm »
This isn't CoD or Street Fighter, it features cavalry and irl, they were numerous. Both major sides during the crusades had a number of cavalry comparable to that of infantry.

Sure:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Arsuf
20,000 men: 14,000 infantry, 4,000 knights, 2,000 turcopoles
vs
20,000 men, mostly mounted

And I'm sure that isn't the only battle with similar stats. I just didn't found any other resources with strengths.

If someone knows a site with some army sizes, plz post  :)
« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 12:27:00 pm by dodnet »

(click to show/hide)

Offline Arrowblood

• Duke
  • Renown: 508
  • Infamy: 112
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Arrowblood
« Reply #57 on: February 04, 2012, 12:42:37 pm »
who the hell voted for ranged? :shock:

Offline EyeBeat

• Earl
  • Renown: 432
  • Infamy: 175
  • 20th BEST PLAYER IN HOSPITALLER
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Hospitaller
  • Game nicks: EyeBeat_The_Wanderer
  • IRC nick: EyeBeat
« Reply #58 on: February 04, 2012, 02:17:22 pm »
Been waiting for a cav nerf for some time.

There is no skill involved.

The cav players in my clan even admitted it.

Please nerf it.  Thanks.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Being a smallish community doesn't entitle you to act more like a dick than other communities.

Offline _Tak_

• Earl
  • Renown: 459
  • Infamy: 195
  • cRPG Player
  • Retired Dev of FI2
    • View Profile
    • mod :D
  • Game nicks: LC
« Reply #59 on: February 04, 2012, 03:30:46 pm »
Cav does require skill, nor you can bump into pikes and get instandl 1 hit kill .If cav nerf, then archery will probably get nerf, then polearm get nerf, everything nerf, happy?