Author Topic: The State of Archery in cRPG - all fear the machine gun bows  (Read 13646 times)

Offline MrShine

• Ragdoll Basher
  • King
  • Renown: 1156
  • Infamy: 193
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Fear the stache
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: MrShine
Re: The State of Archery in cRPG - all fear the machine gun bows
« Reply #45 on: January 30, 2012, 04:02:25 am »
+1
The op wanted to show the worst case scenario.. unloomed items, basic arrows, 4PD bow, cut damage on higher armour. Get a practice longsword and beat on someone with 4 powerstrike and see what happens. Try piercing, more PD, find out people's HP, try loomed weapons/ammunition etc. Ranged is fine as it is, it should be support damage or reward genuinely good play

If people want more accuracy then fine, but the damage is fine as is for this melee centric game. If M&B didn't have great melee/cav mechanics no one would play. The ranged mechanics are like a totally separate game. Yet some seem to think its fine for them to 1-2 hit kill with easy body shots from range. I swear if the devs added a hitscan 1 hit kill weapon some people would use it exclusively

Shinyspoons already covered it, but yeah, this is a legitimate build right now.  If you go higher with PD your headshot aim goes way down.  Bodkins are mega expensive with low stack size, not ideal at all.  My main has +3 bow and +3 arrows, but I'm not going to respec archer just to show those off.  I'm also gen 21 and have played the game for almost a year... you shouldn't need loomed gear to compete, nowhere else in the game is that needed, it shouldn't start with archery.

Side note: the practice longsword is fucking awesome with 4 PS.  Blunt damage, speed and reach... I know what you were trying to do but you picked the wrong weapon to prove your point :P

E: working on uploading some videos of in-game rounds. 
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 06:03:20 am by MrShine »
Holy crap I have a youtube gaming channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/MrShine12345

Offline Mtemtko

• Count
  • Renown: 168
  • Infamy: 46
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Merc
  • Game nicks: Merc_Mtemtko
  • IRC nick: Mtemtko
« Reply #46 on: January 30, 2012, 07:09:55 am »
bout that fight joker, you skipped way to many details and made it sound like all i did was shoot, but nope i had atleast 5,6 bumps made and atleast 3,4 slashes from horseback, in the end i even dehorsed and went melee so dont say you had no odds, btw arrows despawn after bout 4 minutes and that map had atleast one tower to cover your sorry asses.
when you said you want has removed, they were nerfed to the ground, and now you want them removed? you are even more fucking pathetic than i thought, not even michael can compare
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 07:20:41 am by Mtemtko »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Joker86

• Mad & Bad
  • King
  • Renown: 1226
  • Infamy: 324
  • cRPG Player
  • Why so serious?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Companions
  • Game nicks: Joker86_TP
« Reply #47 on: January 30, 2012, 09:54:39 am »
I just hate to play a game where I have to pray not to meet a certain class on the field. Sorry for being frustrted of notbeing able to prevent you of killing me without any chance to protect myself.
Joker makes a very good point.
î saved for eternety (without context  :mrgreen:)

Offline Osiris

• King
  • Renown: 1449
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Osiris. Aethelstan
  • IRC nick: _Osiris_
« Reply #48 on: January 30, 2012, 12:02:22 pm »
Joker its rare to meet a ha that you cant escape somehow (tuonela is a bitch to fight). Should have rushed to one of the many walls/towers/rooms on that map and wait for flags.
Removing ladders and a small nerf for xbows would have been fine
i make terrible warband videos! https://youtu.be/jUdVGIOuULk

Offline Haze_The_Hobo

• Baron
  • Renown: 139
  • Infamy: 296
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Pantheon
  • Game nicks: Pantheon_Haze_The_Hobo Haze_Ze_PewPew
« Reply #49 on: January 30, 2012, 12:13:59 pm »
+1
Body shot might be a joke now, but headshot is a joke of the year.
 Archer accuracy + headshot damage increase was a massive fail, i don't understand how it is possible that archer can 1 shot lvl 30 infantry?

I can't 1 shot lvl 30 archer, with 7ps and mw war cleaver 48cut.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 12:33:03 pm by Von_Hazaa »

Offline Grumbs

• طالبان
  • King
  • Renown: 1170
  • Infamy: 617
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 30, 2012, 12:57:21 pm »
+1
Shinyspoons already covered it, but yeah, this is a legitimate build right now.  If you go higher with PD your headshot aim goes way down.  Bodkins are mega expensive with low stack size, not ideal at all.  My main has +3 bow and +3 arrows, but I'm not going to respec archer just to show those off.  I'm also gen 21 and have played the game for almost a year... you shouldn't need loomed gear to compete, nowhere else in the game is that needed, it shouldn't start with archery.

Side note: the practice longsword is fucking awesome with 4 PS.  Blunt damage, speed and reach... I know what you were trying to do but you picked the wrong weapon to prove your point :P

E: working on uploading some videos of in-game rounds.

I really doubt people play like that now on the servers. There are plenty of good archers who do fine now

Even with practice longsword you still have to get in range, and then theres a good chance that someone will completely negate your damage with a block, and then you still have to hit plenty of times. With archery the skill is mostly down to the shooter which is bs for a competitive style game. People aren't going to hold a shield all the time or hide behind cover all round. Dodge is still about testing the shooter, if he'd good he will still hit his target.

You have to balance the awesome fact that you can deal damage from range with lower damage or more difficult shots than there are now
If you have ranged troubles use this:

Offline Gisbert_of_Thuringia

• Count
  • Renown: 169
  • Infamy: 136
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild
  • Game nicks: Guard_Gisbert_of_Thuringia, Guard_Bernulf_of_Thuringia, Guard_Ranulf_of_Thuringia etc...
« Reply #51 on: January 30, 2012, 12:59:54 pm »

With that I can't name any archer who would survive an overhead or sideswing aimed for the head o.O

Offline Osiris

• King
  • Renown: 1449
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Osiris. Aethelstan
  • IRC nick: _Osiris_
« Reply #52 on: January 30, 2012, 01:03:15 pm »
actually lots :P I overheaded an archer with a Mighty Great long bardiche with 7ps last gen and he survived O.o suprised me anyway :P
i make terrible warband videos! https://youtu.be/jUdVGIOuULk

Offline Casimir

• King
  • Renown: 1756
  • Infamy: 271
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The Dashing Templar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Templar
  • Game nicks: Templar_Casimir
  • IRC nick: Casimir
« Reply #53 on: January 30, 2012, 01:04:31 pm »
Had a few archers survive overheads from my mighty morningstar with 6 PS, i thought that was silly :L
Turtles

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
  • Renown: 828
  • Infamy: 223
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans
  • Game nicks: GK_Overdriven
« Reply #54 on: January 30, 2012, 01:57:20 pm »
They would still have circled around us, just in a wider circle (the map was ruins, but the fight was on open terrain, and what would be if the map was open plains?), but it would be less dangerous to attack single players because their mates would be far away.

And you are still relying your argumentation on the fact that the cav makes a mistake.

The only reason the cav would win is if the infantry makes a mistake....

Offline Sniger

• Marshall
  • Renown: 795
  • Infamy: 442
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 30, 2012, 02:24:37 pm »

Offline akapraf

• Knight
  • Renown: 34
  • Infamy: 13
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile

Offline MrShine

• Ragdoll Basher
  • King
  • Renown: 1156
  • Infamy: 193
  • Fear the stache
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: MrShine
« Reply #57 on: January 30, 2012, 03:22:24 pm »
+1
I just hate to play a game where I have to pray not to meet a certain class on the field. Sorry for being frustrted of notbeing able to prevent you of killing me without any chance to protect myself. 

Ironic, considering with my STF archer I pray I don't meet:
-shielders
-heavy cav
-tin cans

If it takes me 15 body hits or 3 headshots to hit one guy with mid 40 armor, I can only imagine how many arrows it would take to kill a full fledged plate monster.  Maybe I'll ask test on Allers or Goretooth and loop Yakety Sax in the background.

Body shot might be a joke now, but headshot is a joke of the year.
 Archer accuracy + headshot damage increase was a massive fail, i don't understand how it is possible that archer can 1 shot lvl 30 infantry?

Watch my videos.  My reticule is as small as you're going to see it on any archer.  Notice how even at medium range the small part of my reticule is far too large to accurately "aim for the head".  You can try and succeed some of the time, but you will miss a whole bunch in the process even if your aim is perfect.  Body shots are safer but they do so little damage so archers are fucked either way. 

I really doubt people play like that now on the servers. There are plenty of good archers who do fine now

Show me 1 screenshot of a round where an archer tops the scoreboards and I'll show you about 20 where cav or melee do.  I've had my good rounds as archer, I was 8-0 on a map last night before ending 10-3 or 10-4.  But you need to be on your game/get lucky to get those scores... meanwhile I can practically fall asleep as a shielder or 2H and maintain a positive KDR.
Holy crap I have a youtube gaming channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/MrShine12345

Offline Dezilagel

• Marshall
  • Renown: 722
  • Infamy: 209
  • cRPG Player
  • (X) probably goes well with Nutella
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Guards, Guards!
  • Game nicks: Dezi_the_Bagel
  • IRC nick: Dezilagel
« Reply #58 on: January 30, 2012, 03:22:55 pm »

no comment

From behind = massive negative speedbonus (he's on a horse).

Nothing strange about that really.

Quote from: Rumblood
You fuck, or you get fucked.
Valour Multghulis - All Krems Must Die

Offline Tor!

• He's Tor!
  • Marshall
  • Renown: 739
  • Infamy: 62
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguard
  • Game nicks: Vanguard_Tor
« Reply #59 on: January 30, 2012, 03:24:59 pm »
+1
Take a look at the good archers, and try to learn something  8-)
[00:53] <xant> i used to play on eu_1
[00:53] <xant> then i took an arrow to the knee