Author Topic: A proposal  (Read 2922 times)

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 721
  • Infamy: 2588
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
A proposal
« on: January 25, 2012, 11:29:32 pm »
I wish our dear devs would be brave enough to start a company and announce a new game which will be funded by donations, similar to C.A.R.S. development model.

Hopefully they have "grown" enough to make their own combat system, more advanced and complex than what we have in Warband.

For engine I would like to see something like this (video). It's not medieval combat game specific but it seems to me it can be used for anything you like, has decent graphics and it's awesome and truly advanced tech overall. Also people who are making it said it's gonna be indie dev friendly which means it will be dirt cheap to licence. From what I've read it has some really advanced features which are related to real life physics. It only needs proper fighting system (developed by equus africanus asinus crew) and a lot of content.

We (community members and already recognized c-rpg moders) can provide that content. We could import or make some new buildings in Google SketchUp (for example) and manually create medieval villages and cities all over the globe. Engine I'm proposing has 1:1 Earth's terrain mapping with exact elevation parameters aka real deal. If one of two people worked on creating of such vast amount of content it would take ages but if, let's say, 100 of us responsible people unite, that task can be done pretty quickly.

Imagine playing strategus in such engine, in one persistent, realistic world :D

Gods of c-rpg, what do you say?
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 11:32:01 pm by Leshma »

Offline Allers

• Count
  • Renown: 292
  • Infamy: 134
  • cRPG Player
  • Ca$hville
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ca$hville Records, Ruff Ryders
  • Game nicks: Allers, Young Buck, DMX
  • IRC nick: Allers
Re: A proposal
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2012, 11:32:12 pm »
YES
Ca$hville 615

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 1452
  • Infamy: 57
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2012, 11:34:05 pm »
+3
Are you a bigamist, Allers? From what I heard, you're already married to Miley...

Offline Allers

• Count
  • Renown: 292
  • Infamy: 134
  • cRPG Player
  • Ca$hville
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ca$hville Records, Ruff Ryders
  • Game nicks: Allers, Young Buck, DMX
  • IRC nick: Allers
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2012, 11:35:38 pm »
I WUZ SAYING YES TO THE IDEA
Ca$hville 615

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 2693
  • Infamy: 1182
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2012, 11:44:50 pm »
Btw. if someone thinks that 57.5 million square miles of land is a bit too much of exploarable terrain we can always put invisible barriers to make it a lot smaller. But in that case we won't have realistic terrain, only a fraction of it, let's say half of NY or London territory or some woods in the Scandinavia lols
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 11:46:46 pm by Leshma »

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2012, 11:55:20 pm »
The landscape in that video would look horrible on ground level. Rendering good landscape is one thing, sadly, there is a whole lot more to it than that. I doubt this engine would suffice.

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 2022
  • Infamy: 90
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2012, 11:57:03 pm »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izyZ1kKQzbE

Looks better than Warband to me :wink:

Offline Blueberry Muffin

• Marshall
  • Renown: 749
  • Infamy: 119
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2012, 12:39:10 am »
My pc + this game = visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Good idea for most people though.
Lizard_Man: Fuck all that! Rather buy me 4 cans of Stella..
Cymro: Wife beater stella
Lizard_Man: It'll get ya drunk! You'll be fucking fat girls in no time! You might even fight a nigga or two! Mmmm-mmm, bitch!

Offline Nessaj

• King
  • Renown: 1399
  • Infamy: 176
  • cRPG Player Madam Black Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • ▃ ▅ ▅ ▅ ▄ ▅ ▇ ▅ ▄ ▅ ▇
    • View Profile
    • Vanguard
  • Faction: Vanguard
  • Game nicks: Vanguard_Cooties
  • IRC nick: Nessaj
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2012, 12:49:13 am »
+1
The main objective - if it was - would be to acquire the rights/licenses to an engine that can handle a lot of players simultaneously, not whatever engine can make a pretty game.

Fix an engine that can handle such, incorporate MNB melee, add mass persistent multiplayer world (ala Strat) and sold.
Things don't exist simply because you believe in them, thus sayeth the almighty creature in the sky!

Offline Tristan

• Count
  • Renown: 200
  • Infamy: 52
  • cRPG Player
  • Listen to wisdom!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild (Guards)
  • Game nicks: Guard_Tristan
  • IRC nick: Guard_Tristan
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2012, 12:55:02 am »
Unity 3d?

Bsg online handles a decent amount of players at the same time...
He is despised and rejected of men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief. He was oppressed, and he was afflicted, yet he opened his mouth.

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2012, 12:56:07 am »
Hopefully they have "grown" enough to make their own combat system, more advanced and complex than what we have in Warband.

This is much much much much much much more complicated than modding an existing one. If this had the same working speed as cRPG, you wouldn't get a playable game after a year of development (not to be harsh with the dev team, fact is, a projects like this would require an awful lot of work afaik).

Furthermore, getting 10 people to work more or less together is already difficult. Getting 100 people (even without rogues, yet with 100 people the probability of someone with bad intentions is not negligible) to work remotely together is extremely difficult. Even for something as "simple" as creating buildings, you still have to standardize atleast size, quality, different styles, complexity. And the actual placement of those models on the map will be even more complicated, if you want to have cities matching in size with real ones (on a determined point in time ofc.), and accurate distances between them, as well as balancing the density between regions that will get a lot of work done and regions that won't etc.

I'm sorry if I'm curbing your enthusiasm, but atm this seems totally impossible.

Offline HUtH

• Baron
  • Renown: 94
  • Infamy: 28
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2012, 01:17:07 am »
^ All of it' true... making a game from almost sratch is pretty difficult and time consuming, especially if it needs to be with all new animations system and for multi... Modders of Magna Mundi from EU3 still make their game, but it's totally different franchise
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
Sorry
for
my
terrible
English

Offline cmp

• M:BG Developer
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 2052
  • Infamy: 569
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: cmp
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2012, 01:45:01 am »
The main objective - if it was - would be to acquire the rights/licenses to an engine that can handle a lot of players simultaneously, not whatever engine can make a pretty game.

Fix an engine that can handle such, incorporate MNB melee, add mass persistent multiplayer world (ala Strat) and sold.
Unity 3d?

Bsg online handles a decent amount of players at the same time...

We already have an engine that can handle a lot of players simultaneously. Comparing it to a MMO engine is a big mistake, it should be compared to FPS engines, and how many of those can handle 100+ players?

Offline Nessaj

• King
  • Renown: 1399
  • Infamy: 176
  • cRPG Player Madam Black Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • ▃ ▅ ▅ ▅ ▄ ▅ ▇ ▅ ▄ ▅ ▇
    • View Profile
    • Vanguard
  • Faction: Vanguard
  • Game nicks: Vanguard_Cooties
  • IRC nick: Nessaj
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2012, 02:25:15 am »
We already have an engine that can handle a lot of players simultaneously. Comparing it to a MMO engine is a big mistake, it should be compared to FPS engines, and how many of those can handle 100+ players?

Yup.

The only engine (I think) that probably could be used in mass scale is Frostbite 2.0 from DICE, however whether the melee system would work in that, who knows, and even so I don't think it would be able to push more than 150 vs 150, maybe 200 vs 200 (can anyone remember how many players the hacked servers got up to?), those numbers wouldn't be bad as a start though.

Now onwards to license Frostbite :)

Otherwise what engines are there, UDK, Cry Engine, Source :P, C4 and as mentioned above Unity. Not all of those would be up for the task, guaranteed.
Things don't exist simply because you believe in them, thus sayeth the almighty creature in the sky!

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 2682
  • Infamy: 2388
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2012, 02:47:05 am »
The engine I've mention will be available as demo very soon and it will have some basic controls. First I'll try to put as many buildings as I can (I'll try to import some towers I've found on internet). After that I'll see if it that build has multiplayer capabilities and see if I anyone is interested in trying out multi. Hopefully it will be possible. If it can support 20 buildings and a lot of vehicles riding not far from each other I think it's capable of what we need.

UDK is shit for massive battles.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 02:49:11 am by Leshma »