Poll

Should the ranged nerf be reverted?

No
185 (53.3%)
Yes
162 (46.7%)

Total Members Voted: 346

Author Topic: Petition to revert the ranged nerf  (Read 11570 times)

Offline XyNox

• Marshall
  • Renown: 801
  • Infamy: 219
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Quincy Clan
  • Game nicks: Quincy_XyNox
Re: Petition to revert the ranged nerf
« Reply #45 on: January 25, 2012, 01:11:27 am »
Well Im looking at this nerf/buff with mixed feelings. I started this game as archer right away, sticking with the rusbow in gen 1 with a 6PD 8WM build. It was balanced, didnt deal massive damage but was able to shoot very accurately at long distance. I then tried a max ath archer build in gen 2 with 2 PD just for the lulz of kiting kill hungry melees ( DontChaseMe ;D ) , but quickly respeced going max dmg with 10 PD and longbow. I was slow as hell, pulling my bow took ages and accuracy was a foreign term for me, but what I hit I hit hard.

The reason doing this is because I think there are way too many hornbow machinegunners and I usually dont wanna play in a way just everyone does, so I decided on claiming the longbow to be my weapon of choice. I tried really hard to get effective with that thing but being a lvl 31 archer not able to hit with consistency was just not acceptable. I went 8PD  6WM now in gen 3 and sadly have to acknowledge that still putting every point in archery, meaning no powerstrike, no melee wpf, and just a minimum of ath was still not enough to get this bow to work properly as it still lacks massive accuracy and attackspeed, even after the longbow buff that is.

Now the nerf kicked in I pretty much had no other choice than joining the hornbowfaction too, and I was angry because archers will be more uniformed than before now, forcing me to play with one piece of equipment only in order to be effective as the hornbow is superior an any way now compared with the larger bows. And If the damage adjustments stay this way or similar Im pretty sure ill go 5PD next build just so I can machinegun with my hornbow to get fast headshot, rendering planning your builds rather useless.

Although I want to point out that I still dont agree that a nerf is being applied ( and I am pretty sure it was intended as a nerf ) only because the majority of the most popular class whines a bit, at least that way it looks to me, I cant deny being able to oneshot people in the face even faster and more effectively now is very rewarding. Even after the nerf I still topscored once in a while and was able to get headshotsprees.

For me the problem is this:
I count myself to the rather good archers, if not even the highskilled ones. Of course I can use my skill more appropriatly now but it is INCREDIBLY tiring. Crpg is not a casual game of course but playing a game of "headshot or get shot", and being good a it for a whole map round requires levels of concentration not comparable with minute long melee duels. I literaly can lay back when an enemy gets close so I can do some relaxing melee fighting, eventually dying there but at least not being forced to calculate movement speed, vector changes, arrow drop and projectile flight time when shooting a 5x5 pixel target, computing all that data in 0.3 seconds at most. And when I say 0.3 seconds I MEAN 0.3 seconds, otherwise youll most likely not get a heashot on a dodging target, leading to a miss or a bodyshot effectivly doing ... nothing.

Basicly this means the skilled archers, so the majority of those people that pissed you off before will do even more so. The ones that are just average, working hard for every kill will even have a harder time making archery a privilege to most skilled of players. Also as mentioned before there are not many options to chose. If you want to be effective you take a hornbow or you dont play archer, not implying there are no people that can get good scores with other bows but these people would most likely do even better if they get used to hornbows.

So in conclusion I dont really know what to decide on this topic. If I would not know this community at all Id say what I think helps balance most, which is revert the nerf but keep the headshotdamage, all in all really buffing archery at least this time. This way archers would still have the opportunity to get some reward for their superior skill, which is killing an enemy way faster with less ammo and time consumption by headshotting them with a single arrow, effectivly having no effect on body shots as 4,5 consistent hits are still a lot less rewarding than a oneshot. And that way the less skilled archers would still have at least a CHANCE to kill people without hitting their heads. This is what I would suggest but I know since this is the crpg community this would summon a ragestorm of unimaginable dimensions.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Meow

• Awesome Consulting Detective
  • King
  • Renown: 1071
  • Infamy: 150
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
« Reply #46 on: January 25, 2012, 01:19:27 am »
Thanks, i want replies like those.

And i will instantly agree that quick bows need a nerf and people who pick their shots need a buff.

Also pretty sure that's gonna happen.

Unrelated:
No idea about HAs though.

Offline Aseldo

• Baron
  • Renown: 147
  • Infamy: 80
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • you reading this?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: TKoV
  • Game nicks: Egad_Captain_TKoV
  • IRC nick: Egad
« Reply #47 on: January 25, 2012, 01:27:33 am »

And i will instantly agree that quick bows need a nerf and people who pick their shots need a buff.

Unrelated:

off to sell my MW tatar bow I go...sigh

Seriously though why? because quick bows are better for headshots? Getting headshots is very difficult and I'm an experienced archer, I'd say less than 10% of my kills are headshots. How about you just buff stronger bows and leave quick bows alone :| unless you want more blipping. seriously ranged has been changed so much in the past year it makes me cry.

If you're going to nerf quick bows you need to buff overall range damage because even with a MW tatar bow I'm doing crap damage.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 01:33:19 am by Aseldo »

Offline XyNox

• Marshall
  • Renown: 801
  • Infamy: 219
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Quincy Clan
  • Game nicks: Quincy_XyNox
« Reply #48 on: January 25, 2012, 01:33:57 am »
+1

Unrelated:

Im pleased I can give constructive critism but I want to make sure you dont get me wrong on this:

I am IN NO WAY saying that archery should get nerfed right again, only because archers adapted to the nerf to some degree. Nerfing fast bows into oblivion (which would be needed to get the "job" done) just to create a reason to pick larger bows is the worst attempt to this matter I can imagine and is, IMO the very reason for the whole grievance right now at all. If Id be a dev I might decrease accuracy of fastbows slightly and buff accuracy of larger bows reasonably as they are not suitable for their intended role ( long range shooting I guess ) right now.

I still dont get how the faster smaller bows got more effective accuracy than large bows in the first place ...

Offline Meow

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 25, 2012, 01:36:58 am »
As i said, wait for the next bow before you GTX your class.

Edit:
Just my opinion but nerf accuracy on faster bows to bring them in line, the long bow as top tier bow should still be the best bow for every archer.
Alternative - make the horn bow as expensive as the long bow.

Buff accuracy and accuracy window on the long bow and all other slow but accurate ranged weapons.

Obviously this would require a slight HA buff but in no way anywhere near what one guy suggested as in 20% per point.

Just my point of view - balancing will most likely go a different way.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 01:40:23 am by Meow »

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #50 on: January 25, 2012, 01:40:42 am »

I'm going to vainly hope that some consideration is going to be given to the post-30 players with longbow and rus-bow builds.

Though I dare say my Shielder Alt is amusing, less work and always at least a break-even KDR, feels nice.
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Taser

• King
  • Renown: 1447
  • Infamy: 82
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Alfred_Taser_of_TKoV
« Reply #51 on: January 25, 2012, 01:42:06 am »
I always wonder why people never think to buff things rather than nerf them. Everything's always nerf this, nerf that..

Offline Aseldo

• Baron
  • you reading this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 25, 2012, 01:42:49 am »
I'm going to vainly hope that some consideration is going to be given to the post-30 players with longbow and rus-bow builds.

Though I dare say my Shielder Alt is amusing, less work and always at least a break-even KDR, feels nice.

Yes but at the expense of quick bows that by meows own confession already take 3 hits to take 1/3 of his HP.

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #53 on: January 25, 2012, 01:44:56 am »
Yes but at the expense of quick bows that by meows own confession already take 3 hits to take 1/3 of his HP.

He has 27 STR, so not even counting IF that is a minimum of 62HP. Not too bad, though it is a bit iffy.
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Cris

• Baron
  • Renown: 121
  • Infamy: 23
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Merc_Cris, Cris, TestSubject
  • IRC nick: Cris
« Reply #54 on: January 25, 2012, 01:45:04 am »

Edit:
Just my opinion but nerf accuracy on faster bows to bring them in line, the long bow as top tier bow should still be the best bow for every archer.
Alternative - make the horn bow as expensive as the long bow.

Buff accuracy and accuracy window on the long bow and all other slow but accurate ranged weapons.

Obviously this would require a slight HA buff but in no way anywhere near what one guy suggested as in 20% per point.

Just my point of view - balancing will most likely go a different way.

Always ask for more than what you are really wanting/hoping to get ^.^

Anyway :P would we be talking of a couple of points nerf in accuracy? Or something that makes a difference, like -3 or so? Assuming this would happen.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 01:46:59 am by Cris »

Offline Aseldo

• Baron
  • you reading this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 25, 2012, 01:48:30 am »
He has 27 STR, so not even counting IF that is a minimum of 62HP. Not too bad, though it is a bit iffy.

So realistically I need to spend 10 of my arrows, HIT him with those 10 arrows(most important part) just to kill 1 player.
Today I hit someone I was talking to over ventrilo with an arrow, he was wearing blue tunic over mail, he just laughed how little damage it did.
I'm just saying, instead of feeling like an archer that can get kills I feel like that archer that is shooting merely to make the enemy stumble and leave an opening for infantry to slice him. This is what we get for all the 2handers qqing over the last 6 months saying they got 2 shot which wasn't true.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 01:51:03 am by Aseldo »

Offline Adamar

• He who doesn't want to be labelled
  • Earl
  • Renown: 422
  • Infamy: 319
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 25, 2012, 01:49:34 am »
I too mourn my longbow. I shall wait then, if there's indeed hope.

Offline Meow

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 25, 2012, 01:51:27 am »

As i said, i think you misunderstand the concept of balance.
If i at 27str with 6IF and 60body armor get killed in 9 arrows you can most likely kill some ninjas with those 3 arrows.

What you do here is the same as those 2h guys posting some archer being on top of the scoreboard.

The moment you 3 shot me with body shots on your tarta bow i will have to seriously talk to the balancing team.

Just wait till the next patch, don't get our hopes up on HA buffs but i guess there will be an overall damage unnerf for body shots.
If you are using spammy bows - don't get your hopes up that you will do way more damage - if you are using the actual high tier bows - you might get lucky and get readjusted to be actually the dominant archer class.
For the other ranged stuff i guess it goes the same - spammy stuff will rather not be buffed, the rest might be.

Also i agree, it's time for buffs not for nerfs but with the changes at least the fast stuff will need to be adjusted in a nerfing way.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 01:52:39 am by Meow »

Offline Aseldo

• Baron
  • you reading this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 25, 2012, 01:56:47 am »
As i said, i think you misunderstand the concept of balance.
If i at 27str with 6IF and 60body armor get killed in 9 arrows you can most likely kill some ninjas with those 3 arrows.

What you do here is the same as those 2h guys posting some archer being on top of the scoreboard.

The moment you 3 shot me with body shots on your tarta bow i will have to seriously talk to the balancing team.

Just wait till the next patch, don't get our hopes up on HA buffs but i guess there will be an overall damage unnerf for body shots.
If you are using spammy bows - don't get your hopes up that you will do way more damage - if you are using the actual high tier bows - you might get lucky and get readjusted to be actually the dominant archer class.
For the other ranged stuff i guess it goes the same - spammy stuff will rather not be buffed, the rest might be.

Also i agree, it's time for buffs not for nerfs but with the changes at least the fast stuff will need to be adjusted in a nerfing way.

Before the big patch usually this it how it went
Noob = 1 arrow
Light armor = 2 arrows
Medium armor = 3-4 arrows
Heavy Armor = 5-7 arrows
That seemed pretty fair to me at the time, now it feels more like this

Noob = 2 arrows
Light armor = 3-4 arrows
Medium armor = 5-6 arrows
Heavy armor = 8-10 arrows

Just seems a bit excessive to me.

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
  • Renown: 828
  • Infamy: 223
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans
  • Game nicks: GK_Overdriven
« Reply #59 on: January 25, 2012, 01:59:36 am »
Add extra on to that for HA. 9 arrows to kill a guy in heraldic mail with tabard (40 body armour) with MW hornbow and barbs  :|

And 2 body shots with a longbow on my foot archer to kill a naked guy.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 02:02:15 am by Overdriven »