Author Topic: Requesting Input/Guidance on Roman Legionnaire Build  (Read 5376 times)

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
Requesting Input/Guidance on Roman Legionnaire Build
« on: February 25, 2011, 07:25:56 am »
I wanted to do something different to take a break from my Dedicated Archer, Shield-and-Mace, polearm characters, so here is something a wee bit different for me.

I would appreciate any critique/thoughts. Please remember the theme for this character before suggesting I swap out something for something else, thank you!  :D

New Load Out
Spiked Helmet
Byrnie (I almost said Mailed Shirt, but it looks like it has a blue shirt, and the Byrnie looks red so it will fit the shield better due to the red Roman Legion Emblem. Yes, I want to color-coordinate, I gotta look spiffy when you kill me)
Heavy Board Shield
Short Broad Sword
Throwing Lances (1 pair, not sure I can afford to upkeep all of this and two pairs of Throwing Lances).

Level 30 (4 420 577 xp)

Strength: 21
Agility: 15
Hit points: 56
Converted: 2

Power Strike: 7
Shield: 5
Athletics: 5
Power Throw: 7
Weapon Master: 5

One Handed: 123
Throwing: 100

Old Load-Out
Barbutte,
Red Tunic over Mail
Heavy Board Shield (It should display the roman Legion Symbol in the banner pack nicely)
Broad Short Sword
Throwing Spears OR Throwing Lances (Can not decide, they both look similar to Pila)
UNUSED: Glove slot, Boot slot, 1 Equip slot.

Level 30 (4 420 577 xp)

Strength: 15
Agility: 21
Hit points: 50
Ironflesh: 0
Power Strike: 5
Shield: 7
Riding: 0
Horse Archery: 0
Power Draw: 0
Power Throw: 5
Weapon Master: 7
One Handed: 146
Two Handed: 1
Polearm: 1
Archery: 1
Crossbow: 1

Thoughts? Just trying to make an amusing themed character here and keep in spirit of the theme.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 06:09:55 pm by Tears_of_Destiny »
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Formless

• Baron
  • Renown: 102
  • Infamy: 74
    • View Profile
Re: Requesting Input/Guidance on Roman Legionnaire Build
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2011, 08:24:36 am »
Lol, I was actually thinking of doing the same build come next gen.  Looking forward to finding out how it works out for you.

“Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless - like water. Now you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup, you put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, you put it in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend.” - Bruce Lee

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
    • View Profile
    • NADS
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2011, 08:31:33 am »
Lol, I was actually thinking of doing the same build come next gen.  Looking forward to finding out how it works out for you.

Heh, interesting to hear, I am highly amused right now. When my computer comes back from the repair shop this weekend I will fire it up and take it for a spin with this build.

I think I should have some fun with it, the equipment is relatively cheap and easy to upkeep, and the build is quick to level into considering my requirements are low for everything but the shield (And I can use the lesser versions until I get up to 15 Agility).

Will post an update later on if this is the build I plan on using.
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline bruce

• Count
  • Renown: 262
  • Infamy: 61
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: the Freak Army of the Gnjus / Saracens
  • Game nicks: Saracen_el_Brus
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2011, 04:07:26 pm »
If you want to use throwing lances (which imo fit better then throwing spears), you'll need a 21/15 build with 7 PT (the lance requirement). They're also a bitch to upkeep if you use multiple stacks. On the upside you can use one as a spear, they've got quite a nasty stab, and of course, even with 7 PT many people will die in one hit, especially if they are moving forward.

That said... I don't think the barbutte has the proper "look" for roman style (neither does the tunic over mail but I guess it's passable), a open helm fits better. Maybe try a spiked helm? Or some other open-face helmet.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 04:08:38 pm by bruce »
Best ban reason ever:
Quote from: Wookimonsta
I checked, the only Vagabond I found was Wolves_Vagabond_TheCruel, that guy is now unbanned. Ban reason was: "calling Zotte a cockswoggler".

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
    • View Profile
    • NADS
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2011, 06:07:37 pm »
Hmm, I said the Barbutte because it has the cheek protection, but looking at the helmet list better now that I am awake...
White Steppe Helmet, Khergit War Helmet, Spiked Helmet all seem to work (more or less) for that Roman look. For a later ERE/Byzantine look the Sarranid Veiled Helm works, but that would be best I think for a Cavalry/Varangian Guard look with lamellar armor.

New Build:
Spiked Helmet
Byrnie (I almost said Mailed Shirt, but it looks like it has a blue shirt, and the Byrnie looks red so it will fit the shield better due to the red Roman Legion Emblem. Yes, I want to color-coordinate, I gotta look spiffy when you kill me)
Heavy Board Shield
Short Broad Sword
Throwing Lances (1 pair, not sure I can afford to upkeep all of this and two pairs of Throwing Lances).

Level 30 (4 420 577 xp)

Strength: 21
Agility: 15
Hit points: 56

Power Strike: 7
Shield: 5
Power Throw: 7
Weapon Master: 5

One Handed: 123

Offline bruce

• Count
  • Renown: 262
  • Infamy: 61
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: the Freak Army of the Gnjus / Saracens
  • Game nicks: Saracen_el_Brus
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2011, 07:24:11 pm »
With 1 pair you fall below upkeep and make money, with 2 pairs of throwing lances you might be actually sustainable, should be around 36-37K roughly. I use about that much when I'm on a horse and it seems upkeepable to me, but a good cash buffer doesn't hurt since random x1 runs happen (but x5 runs, too).

Best ban reason ever:
Quote from: Wookimonsta
I checked, the only Vagabond I found was Wolves_Vagabond_TheCruel, that guy is now unbanned. Ban reason was: "calling Zotte a cockswoggler".

Offline Nihtgenga

• Knight
  • Renown: 77
  • Infamy: 43
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fenris
  • Game nicks: Eldest
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2011, 08:35:12 pm »
Mh...If you choose lances as your throwing weapon I wouldnt put any wpf points into throwing. as you only got 2 or 4 lances to throw you will use them only on very close range and I believe that in this case any wpf points would be wasted. I have a hybrid thrower/pole with over 100 wpf points in throwing and I cant really tell a difference to 0 wpf.
maybe you should make an throwing alt before you do your legionnaire to check if you feel a magnificant difference between 0 and 100 points, especially on close range.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Tigerclaw

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Diadochi
  • Game nicks: Tigerclaw
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2011, 02:25:10 am »
Finally, a contemporary for my Greek Hoplite!

And may I suggest that you consider the bascinet, as it has a vaugely Illryian/Roman look to me...

Offline Formless

• Baron
  • Renown: 102
  • Infamy: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2011, 09:20:44 am »
Go with the Grosse Messer instead of the Short Broad Sword.  Messer is only -1 shorter but it gives you +7 cut for the swing.  True the Messer is -6 in the thrust department as compared to the Short Broad Sword, but you will probably swing more then thrust so its worth it. 

“Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless - like water. Now you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup, you put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, you put it in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend.” - Bruce Lee

Offline Tigerclaw

• Beggar
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2011, 09:33:59 am »
Messer really doesn't make me think of a gladius, though...

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2011, 10:18:00 am »
Tbh short broad sword is barely a gladius too. But I guess that's the closest you can get to a gladius.

Offline Tigerclaw

• Beggar
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2011, 11:57:17 am »
More Greek and Roman equipment would be awesome...

Offline Sharky

• Knight
  • Renown: 44
  • Infamy: 10
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Legione Italica
  • Game nicks: LEGIO_Sharkyborn_Sharkatron Legio_Lollia_Paolina Legio_Sharkatrower Legio_SharkaNukes
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2011, 02:37:45 am »
More Greek and Roman equipment would be awesome...
+1 we already have ninjas and samurais, give us some proper roman equip, some late roman armour and medieval byzantine armour would be cool :(
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 02:39:19 am by Sharky »

Offline Keshian

• King
  • Renown: 1176
  • Infamy: 992
  • cRPG Player
  • Diggity diggity
    • View Profile
  • Faction: FCC (Bridgeburner, Unicorn, Cavalieres, Narwhal)
  • Game nicks: Red-haired bitch from hell
  • IRC nick: Bitch, pleasssse.
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2011, 05:07:32 pm »
Go with the Light Mail and Plate (its red) as it matches very welll with the late Western Roman Empire uniform.  Also, go with throwing spears as theya ctually match more historically with pilum, throwing lances are fantasy as no one threw weapons that long as too much power would be lost by the weight.  But throwing spears are close to the length of pilum, which were about 3 feet in length.  The Khergit War Helmet best matches the later era of the Western Roman Empire with its chain mail links.
http://keshoxford.com/  - Where middle-eastern meets red-hot and spicy!

"[Strat 5]... war game my ass, tis more like a popularity contest"  Plumbo

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
    • View Profile
    • NADS
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2011, 06:46:54 pm »
Alright, first off thank you all for the replies, as at one point or another I gave you all cookies.

Now, after experimenting and buying stuff to experiment for that "look' I want (I can afford to waste gold as this build does not even have boots or gloves! ahahaha, I love how cheap he is for upkeep), I think I may stick with my stat build as the 100 in throwing is starting to make a difference if I actually stand still. It is also nice to quickly throw something and then bring the shield back up, the snapshots of 100 wpf I am starting to appreciate.

The Byrnie did not quite look as I thought it would though, so I will buy the Light Mail and Plate and compare when I quickly get that money. The only thing I am clueless on is the throwing javelins as I have yet to hit that 21 STR required for them, so I will obviously try out the look of the others first and buy each one and expeiment (God knows I have the gold). Pilum were 5 1/2 to 7 feet in length, so hopefully one of them comes a wee bit close in looks.

All in all regardless, I am having more fun with this then I thought I would, so this very well may end up being a primary character instead of an off-the-wall I-am-bored alt. That Heavy Board Shield is starting to grow on me, I like the HP, and the Roman legion symbol looks just fantastic on it.

Thanks everyone! I look forward to you gloriously slaughtering me on the batlefield.