Author Topic: Mundus Postquam Fallenem Imperium *The world after the Fallen Empire  (Read 4094 times)

Offline Decurtius

• Knight
  • Renown: 32
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Occitan
  • Game nicks: Decurtius
By the historian Decurtius,
by the grace of God Count of Occitania.

About 100 days within the third era.

The greatest ambiguity of the third era are its geographical inconsistencies relatively to the second era. The Great Migration, which initiated the third Era, was triggered by a series of calamities, sent by the all-mighty chadz, blessed be his name, as a way to punish the wicked of their glitchy ways. Nevertheless, theses migrations reorganized the map of Calradia, without reorganizing the allegiances of the second era. Although it is widely said that references of these previous times is condemned by the official chadzian dogma, the popular belief is that neither the almighty chadz, nor the Great Migrations that followed the second Era, really changed the national perspectives.

What in the end really reorganized the minds were the new geopolitical situations. As the chadzian church prescribed, the records and acts of the second Era passed by a damnatio memoriae, and thus, were not mentioned, although they played a great role in the events that followed.

As such, this chronicle will tell the aftermath of the Hospitallo-Occitan war against the Fallen Empire. But first, the protagonists.

The Fallen Empire had a long and proud history. Encompassing people of all nationality, the Fallen Empire could be described as multinational and multicultural, although the official language of the Empire was, what came to be known in the third Era, as the North-Eastern Calradian. This particular language is concentrated in this region, though it is the most widely spread in the Calradian world. The population of the Empire surpassed, by most standards, that of other nations. Estimates that came through, leave this historian with numbers varying from 80 to 120 persons (without the vassal states). Even though nominally an Empire, the Fallen Empire was more or less structured as any other Calradian kingdom, with the Emperor, Loki I, supervising all activities in a very centralized fashion.
The Fallen Empire, as it is the case with many empires, encompassed a certain number of allied/vassal states. Left with some degree of local autonomy, they seemed to have little to no exterior latitude, as the Fallen Empire dictated most of the exterior relations of what composed the Fallenem Orbis; the area of Calradia known across all eras, as the eastern steppes. As far as recorded history remembers, the Fallen Empire always had its core in theses regions.
Of their vassals/allies one, maybe, that deserves mention is the HRE, whose population was significant enough to be considered as an "associated nation" among the Empire, in most chronicler's opinion. Perceived as a lightly fallenized people, the HRE seemed to have a superior degree of autonomy, and particular cultural customs made them easy to differentiate from the citizens of the "core" Empire.

At the other extremity of the specter, the Hospitallo-Occitan alliance.
In ancient history, this alliance was born in blood. The second Era history tells of a time of war in the northern land, where, in the myths, and popular songs, a large Empire existed, whose name was lost in the mists of time. It would seem tough that distant ancestors of theses nations fought a war against the already existing Fallen Empire, a war whose records were lost during the late second Era calamities. As an Occitan chronicler, the only written document of this time who came to us to this day is the "Ballade de Decurtius_XII" (perhaps a distant ancestor of your servant?) wich is an epic song, telling the tale of an Occitan farmer boy, sent to war at age sixteen. As written in old Occitano-Calradian, the following fragment has been traduced in North-Eastern Calradian: "And then, from the cold plains, we saw the banners... lost fragment  ...they came to me, a man wearing the apparel of an Hoplite layed his hand on my shoulder and handed me a fork and shield. I was to fight and die for the Empire".

Theses ancient tales report customs and people unknown to the actual Hospitallo-Occitan alliance, and thus indicate that this second Era "Empire" englobed more nations than the ones we know today. Some say that former people of this Empire now roam the land as nomadic tribes, but this information, of course, cannot be verified with certainty. What we do know of, and this information corroborates the legends, is that in the beginning of the third Era, two tribes, one known as Occitan, the other as Hospitaller, came from the cold northern plains and settled in the former Fallen Empire territory.

As the Great Migrations that opened the Third Era ended, the Fallen Empire administration was quick to reclaim the lost territory, only to discover that several tribes already settled in their former territory. The Empire's response was immediate, as they declared war instantly on the newcomers. It is said now that they should have changed their course of action and consider a receptio for the new tribes, but this argument is now semantically null, as the newcomers now own the land formerly held by the Empire. But as it was the Emperor Loki's will, they were to be annihilated.

The newcomers were quick to react. and it is said, that in the first day of the Third Era, the two tribes sealed a pact of mutual friendship and brotherhood, an unlikely event, considering that unlike most nations populating the North-Eastern quadrant of Calradia, Occitans and Hospitallers are not from the same ethnic origin. As such, the Occitan people are often considered a geographic anomaly: Tough it is said that they always lived in the North-Eastern quadrant, they are of Occitan culture, sharing in that regard, some traits with distant kingdoms, like Pecores who happen to speak a similar dialect. Hospitallers, on the other hand, are known since the first Era, and share most of their culture with the other northeastern Calradians, although, for what are perhaps historical reasons, they share most of their religious beliefs with the Occitan people, thus easing the close relationship theses nations share together.

The Alliance formed by theses tribes made possible the emergence of a bi-national kingdom, formed from one part by the Occitan Duchy, while on the other hand, Hospitallers are organized as a religious fighting order. That being said, this is where the division ends, because despite the fact that both nations retain their former cultural traits and colors, they share exterior politics and react and live as a "block", as mentioned by the early Third Era pact, wich makes the nations "indivisible". Later on, the Fallen war of annihilation tightened the bonds between the two nations, to the point that they are now known as a single faction whose name and status is unclear, but well understood as the Hospitallo-Occitan alliance.

END OF TOME I
« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 01:18:20 pm by Decurtius »

Offline Hobb

• Earl
  • Renown: 489
  • Infamy: 96
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: TKoV
Re: Mundus Postquam Fallenem Imperium *The world after the Fallen Empire
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2012, 11:08:37 pm »

About 100 days within the third era.

The greatest ambiguity of the third era are its geographical inconsistencies relatively to the second era. The Great Migration, wich initiated the third Era, was triggered by a series of calamities, sent by the all-mighty chadz, blessed be his name, as a way to punish the wicked of their glitchy ways. Nevertheless, theses migrations reorganized the map of Calradia, without reorganizing the allegiances of the second era. Although it is widely said that references of these previous times is condemned by the official chadzian dogma, the popular belief is that neither the almighty chadz, nor the Great Migrations that followed the second Era, really changed the national perspectives.

What in the end really reorganized the minds were the new geopolitical situations. As the chadzian church prescribed, the records and acts of the second Era passed by a damnatio memoriae, and thus, were not mentioned, although they played a great role in the events that followed.

As such, this chronicle will tell the aftermath of the Hospitallo-Occitan-Templar- SB- VR-Wolves- Pecores
 war against the Fallen Empire. But first, the protagonists.

... usually good historians dont leave out valuable information

Offline Decurtius

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2012, 11:12:02 pm »
It is tome I and therefore describes events inside the steppes area. This particular aspect, will be considered later, as the Hospitallo-Occitan Alliance came in contact with the rest of the world. in the early days of the Third Era, contact with the outside world was limited. In the early days of the conflict, the nations you speak of minded their own business. But we will come to this eventually. As we cannot overlook the FCC intervention later on.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 11:15:17 pm by Decurtius »

Offline Hobb

• Earl
  • Renown: 489
  • Infamy: 96
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: TKoV
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2012, 11:23:54 pm »
It is tome I and therefore describes events inside the steppes area. This particular aspect, will be considered later, as the Hospitallo-Occitan Alliance came in contact with the rest of the world. in the early days of the Third Era, contact with the outside world was limited. In the early days of the conflict, the nations you speak of minded their own business. But we will come to this eventually. As we cannot overlook the FCC intervention later on.

http://forum.c-rpg.net/index.php/topic,19911.0.html

so this whole thread is bull shit?
whats the point of a fancy role play thread (which i am a huge fan btw) if you cant get ur facts straight... their are various post stating this alliance dated back before this strat.. just saying

Offline Decurtius

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2012, 11:28:54 pm »
Be sport. It will be spoken of, but you are talking of later events. That alliance did not exist from the beginning, it came as the situation evolved. If you have inputs about the period covered by tome I though, go ahead. The desert alliance included us sometimes before the FCC intervention. It was even one of the great strategic concern of the time. But the Hospitallo-Occitan/Fallen war was already being fighted. At any rate, the accounts of the time quoting Fallen_Ramses here: - As soon as the war was going against them, the Wolves turned their backs to the Occitan and Hospitallers. ("What about your alliance with the Occitan and Hospitallers? What is your affection to them?", Kinngrimm: "They doesn't matter")

Showing that, to that date, the wolves were not already active on the steppic front.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 11:40:24 pm by Decurtius »

Offline Count_Curtis

• Earl
  • Renown: 322
  • Infamy: 71
  • cRPG Player
  • There's no cure for being a cunt
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Captain_Ludd / Curtis
  • IRC nick: Curtis
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2012, 11:44:40 pm »
+3
Hobb, lets be nice in here.

I like where this is going. awesome stuff so far man!. i for one am not bitter about the loss of that war, you won it! and writing stories of winning is a well deserved luxury
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Camaris

• Count
  • Renown: 223
  • Infamy: 56
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE
  • Game nicks: Neresto_HRE
  • IRC nick: Neresto_HRE
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2012, 11:49:10 pm »
+3
Of their vassals/allies one, maybe, that deserves mention is the HRE, whose population was significant enough to be considered as an "associated nation" among the Empire, in most chronicler's opinion. Perceived as a lightly fallenized people, the HRE seemed to have a superior degree of autonomy, and particular cultural customs made them easy to differentiate from the citizens of the "core" Empire.

Actually you fought us. Not so much fallen ;)
Fallen strategus activity in Strat 3.0 could have been a bit better *g*
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 11:50:21 pm by Camaris »

Offline Visconti

• Count
  • Renown: 278
  • Infamy: 52
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Velucan
  • Game nicks: Tristran_Steward_of_TKoV
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2012, 12:10:13 am »
+1
Really like this thread, keep it up! I think hobb just ran out of cheetos and is grumpy  :D
Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies

Offline Decurtius

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2012, 07:12:44 am »
+7

About 101 days within the third era.
Mundus Postquam Fallenem Imperium *The world after the Fallen Empire
Tome II

Although from the very beginning war seemed inevitable, the first engagements were mainly fought by Hospitallo-Fallen forces. Small contingents fought in a rather unorganized fashion for the control of "crafting rights" over locally administrated villages. The very rural culture and relatively low number of Occitans back then, made them into secondary figures in the early days of the conflict. That being said, even in the very beginning of the war, the Empire forces were considered spread thin, in regard of the immense territory they had to cover.
As the dust of the first battles settled, it became clear that the tribes from the north, ironically held the southern part of the Empire's territories. And its center of gravity moved north.

As the villages started to fall either to the old imperial administration of the Fallen satraps or the newly formed Hospitallo-Occitan Alliance, the southmost part of the steppes became the real battlefield, while the northern part, with the Tulbuk village for center, was starting to be viewed as the "real" Fallen capital, from an Occitan perspective. The armies of the early Third Era were mostly composed of commoners and farmers. Pressed into service, theses poorly equipped troops tried to get an early advantage in a taxing war against a foe used to its land and considered to have a heavier capita count than the Alliance. History left us with some diaries of the first days of the war. This one was found in Dusturil, by a local trader after the successful assault of the imperial troops over the village. A certain Ferguson then wrote: "...they then handed me an old rag, a hood to the colors of my people, a fork and a bag that I later filled with stones. I told them we would not win against the imperial armies with forks and rocks. They told me that if we did not, the imperial armies would massacre the men, women and children of my village. I believed them."

It is also true that theses first encounters were very bloody, even brutish, considering the low experience of most troops, even though screened by veterans. Traditionally, the Fallen Empire relied on large formations of light bowmen, the latter using the highest ground for cover and ultimately falling back when engaged hand-to-hand. While not killing in a single attack, the attack-retreat scheme proved to exhaust most foes before they could even reach the enemy lines. By fighting defensively, the Empire saved both on men and equipment. Your servant's own great grandfather then wrote: "We ran toward their lines, arrows covered the sky dark, men were falling at my side as the officers and I yelled to push further. I received an arrow in the leg, then another killed the man next to me. We reached their line, killed a few, only to realize that most of us had died, when suddenly from my right, a women with blazing hair shot me twice; once in the knee, the other time in the stomach. The soldiers who mended my wounds after finding me on the battlefield later on, told me that we did win, and yet, did not seem happy for it. I praise chadz I survived that day." - Decurtius XIV at the battle of Dusturil.

As a matter of fact, the Hospitallo-Occitan Alliance always more or less relied on heavy infantry. Although it is clear that to some extent, the Hospitallers were, and still are, more flexible in that regard, the Occitan infantry mainly consisted of two-handers, as duels were the traditional way to solve conflicts in our culture, or as a certain lord Shinock XI once said: "A man is judged by the worth of his sword. If he holds it high, it will hold him high in esteem too". That tactical and cultural trait lead to eventual problems when met on the battlefield by a superior archer force. That being said, it came to a breaking point after the first battle of Tulbuk, of wich we shall speak in another tome.

Before that point, the perduring conflict eventually dragged attention from outside, as the Empire, never was challenged on its own territories. Our Alliance then came into contact with some other nations, most of which were of north-eastern calradian culture, and a few others from further west and south, past the "great barrier". With those of up north, we noticed we had much in common, in the ways of culture, as they too had songs and tales from the Second Era, relating places and stories common to both people. One of the most common is a song. Although the names and words vary from a place to another, the tale is common. "La Chanson de Sangredent" in Occitan, which can more or less be traduced by Bloody Thooth' song in northeastern language. It tells the tale of a famous warrior of the Second era, but only fragments remains, as the various versions have different segments: "... as he walked among the shadows, with the strength of a hundred men, hopeless his enemies, helpless his allies, as his black armor brought death and despair..."  -Anonymous
Still, even tough they shared a lot in the way of culture, the men of the north claimed some ancient bound with the Empire, and these Free Companies of Calradia declared war on an unsuspecting Hospitallo-Occitan Alliance. Wary and concerned, now that the balance of the war dramatically shifted toward the enemy, the Alliance turned its eyes to the south.
END OF TOME II   
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 08:08:57 am by Decurtius »

Offline Count_Curtis

• Earl
  • Renown: 322
  • Infamy: 71
  • cRPG Player
  • There's no cure for being a cunt
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Captain_Ludd / Curtis
  • IRC nick: Curtis
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2012, 10:06:36 am »
+1
MOAR!!

put my name in it somewhere! i'l pay you for it
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Lepintoi

• Baron
  • Renown: 81
  • Infamy: 18
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Shu Han
  • Game nicks: Lepintoi
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2012, 10:22:50 am »
+2
Love it! MOAR!

Maybe HRE should also make a thread like this. Altho the video explains it all...

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2012, 11:22:31 am »
+2
This is good, nice writing :)

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2012, 11:45:06 pm »
+1
This is really cool, I want moar! Though... Our, erm, leadership is more of a council then one dude.

Really cool writing though! Can't wait to see how you describe the flying carpets  :lol:
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Decurtius

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2012, 12:56:00 am »
+2
Perception of the enemy my friend!
And it is part of the beauty of it. Not knowing it all leads to interpretations, over which historians of later days argue over and over and over.  :wink:

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2012, 07:55:45 am »
Perception of the enemy my friend!
And it is part of the beauty of it. Not knowing it all leads to interpretations, over which historians of later days argue over and over and over.  :wink:

Exactly, I just imagined that the parts they got wrong is their explanation, "their truth".