49 (45.4%)
3-4 i just want to have decent speed
10 (9.3%)
1-2 i hope it helps me catch that basterd with +6
5 (4.6%)
0 i prefer to walk to battle
7 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 108

Author Topic: althetics, how much does the average player have  (Read 2822 times)

Offline tankmen

• Knight
  • Renown: 65
  • Infamy: 28
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
althetics, how much does the average player have
« on: February 25, 2011, 02:23:30 am »
i never get athletics i find it pointless as it's only good for getting to the fight faster or running, in which they just delaying the inevitable(though not always). 

« Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 02:26:53 am by tankmen »
The purpose of wearing plate has become nothing more than crippling yourself to look like a knight... or maybe its my lack of athletics

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: althetics, how does the average player have
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2011, 02:26:53 am »
wat
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline tankmen

• Knight
    • View Profile
Re: althetics, how much does the average player have
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2011, 02:29:02 am »
The purpose of wearing plate has become nothing more than crippling yourself to look like a knight... or maybe its my lack of athletics

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline Gorath

• Count
  • Renown: 226
  • Infamy: 168
  • cRPG Player
  • Why the hell did I do anything other than ranged?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: The threat of physical violence should be present in all things
  • IRC nick: Otherwise we get a swarm of faggot children like the majority of the cRPG/Internet population
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2011, 05:24:29 am »
Gorath - 8
Braxxus - 7
Vyrus - 7

My conclusion though is that it's worthless and I'm going to stop getting any athletics past 4, if any at all.  Why?  Because supposed str builds in heavy armor can not only keep up, but CATCH up if I withdraw.  In dueling they are able to keep up with my movement, and overall it seems worthless.

For instance:
In klappvisor, tribal warrior, leather boots, wisby guantlets:
Goretooth in his full black armor and blah blah is able to keep pace with me movement wise.  Supposedly he's a str build with very little atheltics and almost 3x the weight that I wear.
Cyranule (tested in duel server as well as battle) says he has 12 agi, meaning a 4 athletics max (if he has any) and wearing heraldic mail, huscarl, etc etc keeps up and moves as fast as I do.

Conclusion:  Athletics appears to be rather pointless imo.
And I should be nice or polite to anyone.... why exactly?

Offline tankmen

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2011, 06:14:08 am »
HAHA all this time ive been smart to get zero

Offline Banok

• Duke
  • Renown: 521
  • Infamy: 215
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2011, 07:07:47 am »
Its actually a pretty weak skill. AGI gives you half your speed bonus and like above poster states speed bonus isn't that much compare dto str builds and tin cans.

Offline The_Bloody_Nine

• Marshall
  • Renown: 946
  • Infamy: 108
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • "I am still alive"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2011, 09:39:22 am »
5 Athletics is best for me. Its not so much about whether its a strong or weak skill but without any ath I don't feel well with my char. I walk slow --> i feel slow --> i fight slow --> I die fast. Knowing that its only psychological doesn't help me. I have to get some Athletics to have fun playing. I have 1 char aiming for 8 Athletics, feels very fun as well especially with low armour.

Offline 1slander

• Peasant
  • Renown: 6
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
  • Timing that sidestep is key to the 1h battle axe
    • View Profile
  • Faction: NORD
  • Game nicks: Araios, Pallas, Hammer. Formerly DRAC & Duke_of_Hazard
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2011, 09:42:46 am »
Why is there no actual data on what agi bonus there is to walk speed as well as the actual athletics skill? 

How come weight does not affect speed to a greater affect?

There seem to be gray area's to do with some stats ingame and the clarification would be much appreciated - people having to do random tests is crazy when there must be mathematical eqautions that can give a faster answer if we had input variables - wtf.
Float like a butterfly sting like an axe

Offline Furax

• Noble
  • Renown: 15
  • Infamy: 9
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2011, 10:03:20 am »
The run speed/acceleration relies more on weight than athletics from my experience.

Offline Z_E_N

• Peasant
  • Renown: 1
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2011, 10:13:17 am »
I did a lot of testing on Athletics on the Talesworld forums.

The conclusive result summary (this was done through many time trials and with as much accuracy as humanly possible):

Comparing 7-9 Athletics:  Most noticeable while naked, light armor (light leather) was still noticeable, while black lamellar it started to taper off and not really be noticeable.  Anything heavier, I suspect it doesn't matter at all.  These timed runs were done on a flat track starting from standing still to when the marker was crossed.   

You can pretty much conclude from it that wearing armor you will not notice a difference at higher athletics.  While 0-3 is still possibly useful for armor wearers, going 7-9, not at all. 

Also, the biggest difference is the SPRINT.  Starting from no movement at all to full speed was slow no matter what athletics, unless I was naked.  Once at full speed was when you really see the move difference (especially in light armor).  Heavier armors take MUCH longer to get to full speed, as the acceleration is slow.  Any armor however, will still notice acceleration being much slower than full speed. 

This is why in combat, it's really hard to say if it makes a difference at all.  When it comes to backing up, strafing, maneuvering around the battlefield, Armor is the key factor, while Athletics is going to benefit you more for the chase down and elaborate ninja flanking maneuvers, or if you want to just turn around and straight up retreat from combat.

Really, the only way to nullify acceleration and get to full speed as soon as possible is to go naked.  In which case yes, you will be able to dodge Goretooth.  However, you will be naked, and he can probably kill you with a single kick of his heirloomed plated boots.

Edit:  This is why on my old build (buckler + 1h), my armor typically got lighter as I got higher level.  The final build was in Robes, Ninja hood, and Leather gloves, with a buckler providing all the defence.   This was insanely fast with 8+ athletics.  However, they nerfed the buckler to hell, so I haven't bothered going back
« Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 10:16:06 am by Z_E_N »

Offline Engine

• Noble
  • Renown: 16
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2011, 06:52:41 pm »
Excellent post, thanks kindly ZEN. I do wish Athletics played more of a role... There should sure as hell be a difference between a heavy Str build and an Agi Athletics build while wearing equally heavy armor.

Offline jspook

• Noble
  • Renown: 17
  • Infamy: 3
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
    • Auphan
  • Game nicks: Pit
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2011, 07:01:03 pm »
if ATH doesnt really make that much of a diiference, then is it really worth putting 6 pts in ATH?  or should I spend some of those elsewhere?
I usually carry around a sword, axe and shield, and wear black lamelar or brigantine (depending on multiplier or cash reserves).

thoughts?

edit:  if ATH doesnt affect running speed all that much, does it affect your fighting speeds?  ie: swing and chambering speeds at all?
« Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 07:05:35 pm by jspook »
"Scissors needs a nerf because he beats me every time, but rock is just fine" - paper

Offline ThePoopy

• Earl
  • Renown: 411
  • Infamy: 56
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • .l..
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Templar
  • Game nicks: PolePoop
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2011, 07:01:53 pm »
the biggest effect ath have is that it dont take 3 sec to turn around when in heavy armor

Offline Gorath

• Count
  • Renown: 226
  • Infamy: 168
  • cRPG Player
  • Why the hell did I do anything other than ranged?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: The threat of physical violence should be present in all things
  • IRC nick: Otherwise we get a swarm of faggot children like the majority of the cRPG/Internet population
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2011, 07:04:45 pm »
if ATH doesnt really make that much of a diiference, then is it really worth putting 6 pts in ATH?  or should I spend some of those elsewhere?
I usually carry around a sword, axe and shield, and wear black lamelar or brigantine (depending on multiplier or cash reserves).

thoughts?

After having done many 7-9 athletics characters that wear medium-ish armor I'd say spend your points elsewhere, or at the most stop at 3-4 athletics if you're going to put points in it.  Anything above 3-4 seems to be a waste and better spent on other skills/stats
And I should be nice or polite to anyone.... why exactly?