Author Topic: Assists, assists, assists  (Read 3773 times)

Offline Arkonor

• Knight
  • Renown: 72
  • Infamy: 39
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Arkonor
Re: Assists, assists, assists
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2012, 07:11:06 pm »
+1
I'm not a dev. but I do think changing how the scoreboard works is something really different from what they usually do. If someone really does want the scoreboard to show more/less they should show how to change it.

But more info is usually better. Though I'm actually for removing the scoreboard and all the UI info completely.
Instead you could have valour for both sides and actually announced who got it.

Offline Dezilagel

• Marshall
  • Renown: 722
  • Infamy: 209
  • cRPG Player
  • (X) probably goes well with Nutella
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Guards, Guards!
  • Game nicks: Dezi_the_Bagel
  • IRC nick: Dezilagel
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2012, 07:31:31 pm »
I hate to say it dezilagel, but I have a feeling the reason you don't give a crap is because all to often you're near the top. I've rarely seen you in even the mid-bottom portions of the scoreboard. But most people do care. If you look down on it then fine.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not necessarily cracking down on people who want to be high up on the scoreboard.

What I think is weird though is that people want every single one of their actions to count, for whatever reason (look at me, I'm special!)

If you're so obsessed with letting the world know just how much good you do in this game then make a youtube video or something. I mean jeez.

We have a board that tracks kills, pretty normal for a deathmatch-like gameplay. If you're constantly at the bottom of it then that means that either 1. you suck or 2. that you're doing a bunch of other good stuff

I'm sure that if you're helping your team both you and they know it. If you're playing to farm kills then maybe a change of playstyle is in order? Or you just haven't realized just how well one must play to top the scoreboard.

I don't play to top the scores, I do a lot of silly things like taking on five people at once for the heck of it and I also spend a lot of time on the duel server. This has been me from day one, getting higher up in the scores is just something that came with skill and experience.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Quote from: Rumblood
You fuck, or you get fucked.
Valour Multghulis - All Krems Must Die

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
  • Renown: 828
  • Infamy: 223
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans
  • Game nicks: GK_Overdriven
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2012, 07:35:30 pm »
+1
I get your point.

But the idea is mainly for the support roles who don't get as many kills as say cav, or 2h, or even the better archers, but often set up the kills for those players. If your doing a bunch of other good stuff, then I just feel like at least some of it should show on the board.

It's not even that I play to farm kills, it's just nice to have what you do aknowledged on the board. Most other games of this type do count assists and teamplay points for this very reason. As kills don't really reflect all.

I have topped scoreboards in the past, and I do usually have to be on an exceptionally good level with my HA. But I also bump people and set them up for others to kill them, especially on smaller maps, and stun them with arrows and other such things. Most support classes do similar things to help the killers.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 07:37:10 pm by Overdriven »

Offline Dezilagel

• Marshall
  • Renown: 722
  • Infamy: 209
  • cRPG Player
  • (X) probably goes well with Nutella
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Guards, Guards!
  • Game nicks: Dezi_the_Bagel
  • IRC nick: Dezilagel
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2012, 08:16:17 pm »
But that's the thing, why would you need "acknowledgement" from EU1 about how well you do in every respect?

Sure it's nice to get a "well played" from someone occasionally, but this whole "look at me" bs is just blegh imho.

Quote from: Rumblood
You fuck, or you get fucked.
Valour Multghulis - All Krems Must Die

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2012, 08:19:42 pm »
Meh each to their own. But it's nice to track how well you did properly.

Offline XyNox

• Marshall
  • Renown: 801
  • Infamy: 219
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Quincy Clan
  • Game nicks: Quincy_XyNox
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2012, 11:04:40 pm »
Id like to see this too but I dont think it has a high priority right now. Though I cant count how many times I headshotted an enemy who was 0.5 secs away from overheading one of my teammates from behind and they didnt even notice.

Also I consider a XP reward for teamplay related actions rather fitting like I stated in some other thread, because teamplay is the one thing that this community lacks the most IMO:

I like the idea of rewarding people for doing something useful. [...]

What I would like to see though is xp gain [...] for teamwork related action. When an archer for example hits an enemy melee, giving his teammate the opportunity to kill the stunnned foe it should be rewarded. Of course there would be some lines of code needed that determine when this is exactly the case. Other examples would be killing enemies in flag range, shielding a projectile that would have hit a teammate or piking an enemy horse that would have been collided with a friendly.

Setting up rules so the game can tell when these actually are the case would surely require a little work but yeah.

Reward for teamplay = YES !

Offline Joker86

• Mad & Bad
  • King
  • Renown: 1226
  • Infamy: 324
  • cRPG Player
  • Why so serious?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Companions
  • Game nicks: Joker86_TP
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2012, 11:06:56 pm »
I think looking at assists is as immature as looking on kills. That's why I can only accept a complete removal of the kill counter.

I could also live with a special player rating which is depending on his class, but this needs to be invented first, and then it needs to be so simple to not make the server crash. So I think just removing it would be the best.
Joker makes a very good point.
î saved for eternety (without context  :mrgreen:)

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2012, 12:58:52 am »
I don't think removing the scoreboard will help anything though. If it doesn't solve anything, there's no reason to do it and I still think saying its immature, or doesn't matter ect is a little bit silly. At some point you probably cared, and even now I bet if you see yourself towards the bottom of the scoreboard it gets to you a little bit and you want to be higher up. In which case you do care. Adding assists ect would greatly improve the scoreboard for a lot of classes. It may not be a high priority, but I'm not suggesting it should be. Would just like to know if it can be done and if so, would we potentially see it sometime in the future.

It's been brought up so many times, so there's obviously some demand for it. But usually the suggestion is never replied to by the people who count.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 01:00:47 am by Overdriven »

Offline Joker86

• Mad & Bad
  • King
  • Renown: 1226
  • Infamy: 324
  • cRPG Player
  • Why so serious?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Companions
  • Game nicks: Joker86_TP
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2012, 01:01:53 am »
+1
If it doesn't solve anything, there's no reason to do it and I still think saying its immature, or doesn't matter ect is a little bit silly.

It solves the problem of support classes feeling too underpowered and many "wrong" people being "respected" by the crowd...  :?
Joker makes a very good point.
î saved for eternety (without context  :mrgreen:)

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2012, 01:06:53 am »
It solves the problem of support classes feeling too underpowered and many "wrong" people being "respected" by the crowd...  :?

Not really. Then no one would have no indication at all of who's good or not. For instance, you wouldn't know if there were really good cav raping your team, or someone like chase tearing people apart without paying close attention to the kills list. So you wouldn't be able to focus more attention on them to help your team.

Offline Malaclypse

• King
  • Renown: 1299
  • Infamy: 146
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2012, 01:17:07 am »
+2
Just do what they do in Rageball. Remove Kills and Deaths from the scoreboard entirely. It has no bearing on the gameplay whatsoever, in any way.
You think you're pretty smart with your dago mustache and your greasy hair.

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2012, 01:39:27 am »
Conversely, get rid of K:D. Anyway here's a few issues:

1) Over kill exists [ie, not all hits are important->Simply hitting somebody is not important]
2) Taking a blow [blocked or not] in place of an ally, allowing them a free hit, and he kills an enemy, that is pretty big assistance
3) Dehorsing somebody and having a team mate kill them when they're down is pretty big
4) Holding attacks to force a block is useful
5) Forcing a shielder to ping pong is also very useful

If you need a score to tell you how well you're doing, something's wrong.

I totally agree.  But people want others to recognize their good teamwork, and they probably don't feel as useful as the guy who's constantly at the top of the leader board.

Hoplite/spearman and archers (and horse archers) really come to mind here.  Especially so after the archer nerf.  These are two very important support classes who really don't get a lot of kills compared to other classes, but are just as important, or more (for obvious reasons). 

When I'm dismounted I'm not quite like a fish out of water, but I'm not nearly as "powerful" as on a horse.  That being said, I can be just as useful (or sometimes more) even though I'm not even getting half the kills I would on horse.  I take hits with my shield, I force other people to block by swinging at them, and sometimes I even get a hit in. 

Not really. Then no one would have no indication at all of who's good or not. For instance, you wouldn't know if there were really good cav raping your team, or someone like chase tearing people apart without paying close attention to the kills list. So you wouldn't be able to focus more attention on them to help your team.

This is true for me since I'm not in the thick of it every round with our ground troops.  I usually don't even know that there's someone on the other team raping us unless I look at the score board.  Yes, that is partly my fault, but people like horseman, or I imagine even archers, may not necessarily know who's mopping up our team.  Having a score board is nice, but it's also really un-realistic for me to get the heads up, without actually having to witness the destruction.  It's nice for me being on a horse though because then I know who to look out for, and who to aim for when I'm couching into a crowd of enemies.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 01:41:37 am by CrazyCracka420 »
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline Kenji

• Baron
  • Renown: 140
  • Infamy: 24
  • cRPG Player
  • Casual Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2012, 02:27:48 am »
+3
Just do what they do in Rageball. Remove Kills and Deaths from the scoreboard entirely. It has no bearing on the gameplay whatsoever, in any way.
Given the tendency of our beloved Developers, I think taking things out is a much more favorable approach than coding more stuffs :mrgreen:

I jest, but I agree with the suggested solution of removing k/d count.

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2012, 02:29:27 am »
+1
Don't be so modest, that's no jest :P
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline Kajia

• Earl
  • Renown: 481
  • Infamy: 36
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Vanguard_Kajia
  • IRC nick: Kajia_
« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2012, 09:47:44 am »
I think the K/D is outdated. if we want to have teamplay, then it's the worst to have.
but every other point-giving alternative would be all the same issue: you go for points than for actual teamplay. for example hitting someone once and then darting off to hit someone else to dart off to hit a third, and so on. the best solution is imo getting rid of any points and rewards but the real rewards, that'd be the cheering of people, the real deal you know.

I can draw an analogy to our whole society, where mere assets are used for the replacement of human sympathy - from a philosophical standpoint :lol:
but there is truth in that, think about it. we should care about what our comrades do, how we act ourselves, and not what fucking points we get and how the hierarchy is.

tl:dr: remove any scores.

Kajia's Workshop
(cRPG artwork showcase)