Makes sense to me
10 (28.6%)
Brilliant
12 (34.3%)
Doesn't make sense to me
3 (8.6%)
Horrible idea
10 (28.6%)
Good idea but missile weapons should be less potent if you can't cover your entire body
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 35

Author Topic: Shields and archers  (Read 3062 times)

Offline Ragni_Bross

• Knight
  • Renown: 69
  • Infamy: 54
  • cRPG Player
  • "At the end of a smile there's a laugh and a half"
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Militia
  • Game nicks: Militia_Iwarad
Shields and archers
« on: January 17, 2012, 10:29:05 pm »
+2
I've heard a lot of guys complain about archers and shields recently and this is what I have to say :P

I'm a shielder and I'd say that our biggest enemy isn't archers and crossbowmen but lame ass AGI-whoring über-buckler- lamers :P Everything we can do they can do better. Block arrows check, block everything else, check. It makes no sense at all. Bucklers were used commonly, yea, but that's because they were easy to carry around not because they were more efficient than real fucking shields.

Vikingr, the only mod with somewhat realistic and fair combat, has the shields all right. If your shield is too smal to cover your entire body, you risk getting hit by missiles. If you cover your head you might get hit in your legs and vice versa. MAKES PERFECT SENSE! I'm a shielder (I prefer to use cheaper, better looking shields that actually go with my outfit rather than whatever has the best stats (like a buckler)) and I say make it so. Not only does it take quite some skill to be able to block every single incoming blow with a small buckler, especially when you're attacked by multiple opponents, but it takes ninja-like skills to block incoming missiles with a shield the size of a dinner plate. If the shields actually worked like they do in Vikingr and in real life big shields would actually be usefull. Why d'you think crossbowmen carried pavises and not bucklers? Size matters.

Also. Make the shields work as described before, they only cover what they actually cover, and make the big shields require less shield skill while adding a STR-difficulty. Using a huscarl shield or a board shield for blocking attacks would be far easier than blocking with a buckler, though it would take more strenght to carry them around and use them properly.

Nerf bucklers. Just not fair that they get to block arrows coming at their toes while only covering their left hand and part of their torso.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 12:04:02 am by Ragni_Bross »

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
Re: Shields and archers
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2012, 10:44:43 pm »
+4
Stop.
Nerfing.
Everything.
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Old_Sir_Agor

• Baron
  • Renown: 85
  • Infamy: 65
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: DenBitre_Sir_Agor
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2012, 10:58:28 pm »
NOW my suggestion, when some1 will cry again and bagging for nerf = he got permabanned!
shooting at people from a reachable place as last man standing is not delaying. Even if you're on the other side of the map.

Offline IR_Kuoin

• King
  • Renown: 1761
  • Infamy: 331
  • cRPG Player
  • What too write here?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigåde
  • Game nicks: KuoiN, Ziath
  • IRC nick: Simply Kuoin
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2012, 11:24:10 pm »
Historical fact: Bucklers were used by archers as a shield for defence. Realy noy intended to take allot of hits because archers mainly dont get into melee fight IRL (not IRL now but before, u know  :lol:). It was also lighty made so the archers whould be quick on their feet and not have a big ass (better protection) shield with them. So I say nerf bucklers maybe some points but not to much,  :mrgreen:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Ragni_Bross

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2012, 11:42:18 pm »
I'm not suggesting that it should offer less protection against melee attacks (although I certainly wouldn't mind if those AGI-whores got nerfed in that way too), I'm just suggesting that it shouldn't offer protection against missile weapons at all.

Offline IR_Kuoin

• King
  • cRPG Player
  • What too write here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2012, 11:45:19 pm »
No protection against missiles is a bit mean  :lol: but that would / should resault into the buckler getting allot of dmg resistans since it then cant block missiles, something i doubt it would do IRL

Offline Ragni_Bross

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2012, 11:46:34 pm »
It might be, but I really love the way you can only protect yourself from missiles by covering vital parts of your body with your shield in Vikingr. Makes good sense, know what I mean? :D

Offline Old_Sir_Agor

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2012, 11:48:39 pm »
buckler block missles very bad, try it before post it here, all shileds shoud not have this stupid force fields, so ranged can shoot heads or legs, i think it would be good and realistic then!
shooting at people from a reachable place as last man standing is not delaying. Even if you're on the other side of the map.

Offline IR_Kuoin

• King
  • cRPG Player
  • What too write here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2012, 11:54:18 pm »

Offline Ragni_Bross

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2012, 12:00:01 am »
Bucklers are the only issues I've ever had with being a shielder :P They really shouldn't block arrows.

Here's another suggestion. Make the shields work as described before, they only cover what they actually cover, and make the big shields require less shield skill while adding a STR-difficulty. Using a huscarl shield or a board shield for blocking attacks would be far easier than blocking with a buckler though it would take more strenght to carry them around and use them properly.

Offline Old_Sir_Agor

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2012, 12:30:21 am »
permaban for this lil girl! crpg has much worse disbalance problem, then some 1 shield, that is sure not op. 80 hp only man
just look people run with no heads now and with 40 invis reach weapons, and you cry here about buckler, shame on you!

Offline Ragni_Bross

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2012, 12:40:22 am »
+1
permaban for this lil girl! crpg has much worse disbalance problem, then some 1 shield, that is sure not op. 80 hp only man
just look people run with no heads now and with 40 invis reach weapons, and you cry here about buckler, shame on you!

I pointed out a thing that could be dealt with easily. I never said "cRPG is fine the only thing that needs fixing is the bucklers!" Shut up yourself and don't you "girl" me till you've beat me :P It's more than just one shield BTW, I suggested that every shield should lose its Jedi-force field and only protect what it actually covers.

Offline Old_Sir_Agor

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2012, 12:44:56 am »
then make theme about all shileds, not only about 1, because it is egoistic, you will nerf some other people stuff, and keep your strong enough, it is not good.

Offline Ragni_Bross

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2012, 12:46:59 am »
+1
then make theme about all shileds, not only about 1, because it is egoistic, you will nerf some other people stuff, and keep your strong enough, it is not good.

Don't be more of an idiot than you are. I never even mentioned what kind of shields I use. I might use a shitty round shield for all you know. There's no point in preserving a balance when it's all wrong. If this was ever implemented, which I doubt it ever will because people are selfish idiots only ever wanting to get more buffs, it would affect all shielders, me included.

Offline Old_Sir_Agor

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2012, 12:52:21 am »
hope all shielders will have this nerf someday