Poll

I can't get no Map-isfaction..!

I'm satisfied with the current selection of maps
I'm moderately satisfied with the current selection of maps
I 'm not satisfied with the current selection of maps and I wish to make my voice heard in this thread!
Maps are horrible, add more maps that cater to my class!
Maps are horrible, I hate you

Author Topic: [Feedback] Maps on official servers  (Read 47614 times)

Offline Fips

• Renown: 1217
  • Infamy: 290
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Holy Roman Empire
  • Game nicks: Fips_HRE
Re: [Feedback] Maps on official servers
« Reply #525 on: July 29, 2013, 12:29:49 am »
Attackers spawn on siege maps should be closer to castle and flag. And not because of balance, but because it's just not funny to run 40 sec after each death. Map can be perfectly balanced but if most of the time I spend running it's not okay. If I wanted to run, not fight, I would play battle, not siege :P Helms deep is great map e.g., but for attackers there's too much running.

Thx for new maps  :wink:

Well, no. I know walking can be a pain in the ass, but that's a very simple and effective way to balance maps out. Helms Deep was won by attackers several times when i saw it on the server and i will continue to watch it closely to see what i need to change, but moving the spawns even closer (or at least, the ones that are a little farer, most spawns take you to the flag within 30-40 seconds and fighting starts even earlier depending on where the defenders are) will just lead to even more of a clusterfuck at the doors, which i already highly dislike. I might work around those doors with another deployable ladder and move the defenders spawns to encourage a smarter defence, but from what i've seen today the attackers spawn don't need a complete overhaul again. But anyway, it's probably too early to tell.

Offline Prpavi

• King
  • Renown: 1525
  • Infamy: 402
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • 私 わ 変態 です
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Prpavi, Prpafeee
« Reply #526 on: July 29, 2013, 08:21:19 pm »
I'm having heavy frame drops on the map Down by the River, especially approaching the town from the river side around the tunnel leading to the main yard.

It was fine before just noticed it after the latest patch.

Cheers!
And now he can't play because of "common sense" and he doesn't understand how this common sense works
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Teeth

• Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: September 14, 2013, 11:01:35 am »
Bump

Offline Elmuri

• Marshall
  • Renown: 817
  • Infamy: 91
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Elmuri and co
« Reply #528 on: September 14, 2013, 11:35:20 am »
+1
Is the "current map cycle" thread updated? Some of the battle maps there I see all the time, some never. For example Citadel ruins and Wolves Cave, which I like a lot seems to have disappeared (or just very bad luck). And some seem to be there few times a day, like Watergate ATS.

Maps I would get rid off:

Quick Battle Scene 3 aka Tulbuk's pass - Is this fun for anyone? Too open without any cover and too steep and small for cav. And the other team has to charge uphill if the others camp that big hill. Also spawn points are annoying.

Covered Crossing - Why is there still maps that are based on one bridge?

Attack on a Caravan - Same as the last one. I find this even worse.

Dune - Has been there for too long, is getting really boring. And too open for my taste.

Field Battle - Basically same as in the previous.

Most of the other maps are interesting and have variation. Also why is native map Village not there? Imo the best native map if spawns would be fixed a bit.

There's a bit feedback for you  :wink:

Offline Teeth

• View Profile
« Reply #529 on: September 14, 2013, 02:03:35 pm »
+1
It is not in fact updated, something which I shall do today. The impression that some maps get played more often is probably due to the faulty shuffle mechanic in Warband. It cocks up all the time, like I have seen one instance where I literally played the same map twice in a row. We want to step off the shuffle system and create a fixed rotation, but every change we want to do with the rotation requires us nagging cmp or chadz for days for a server restart which gets really tiresome. An automatic restart system is planned at some point, so we are mostly waiting for that.

As for your feedback, it is much appreciated and I agree on most of your points, which is also why every map you mentioned except Dune has been out of the rotation for a while :P That's my fault for not updating that thread. Dune is an open map that actually works and it provides a good enough experience for all classes I think. It is also quite unique looking so I'd leave it in. Removing maps because we have played them for so long could be a thing we want to do when we have regular restarts, switching around multiple smaller rotations for example.

Village of course suffers from the extremely skewed spawns, which can be changed, but there are also dozens of dead end camping spots, maul/ranged camp towers will slow down rounds a plenty. I like it too though and people appreciate Native maps making a return so I might look into improving it.

Offline Zlisch_The_Butcher

• King
  • Renown: 1272
  • Infamy: 971
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Faction: Frisian Church of Mork The Goat God
  • Game nicks: Zlisch
  • IRC nick: IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #530 on: September 14, 2013, 02:43:45 pm »
Quick Battle Scene 3 aka Tulbuk's pass - Is this fun for anyone? Too open without any cover and too steep and small for cav. And the other team has to charge uphill if the others camp that big hill. Also spawn points are annoying.
If that's the map I think it is then it's one of my favorite maps.
1H stab is the fastest, strongest and longest 1H animation. There's no reason NOT to use it in all instances. I don't know if it's OP, but it's boring. 1H used to be fun because you had a fast (left), long (right) and the most devastating attack (stab) and had to choose the best attack for each occasion.

Offline Gnjus

• King
  • Renown: 1831
  • Infamy: 397
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Siktir git, pislik okçu.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Turklings
« Reply #531 on: October 11, 2013, 01:20:28 pm »
+2
I don't know who is in charge of map rotation but some of the maps on EU1 are abysmal plus its all too repetitive, I believe more is better. I browsed through the village maps and I think that (with proper spawn points placing & perhaps certain roof accessibility fixing) the following maps would be much better balanced for EU1 battles (for all the classes) then some from the current rotation:

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)
Do you honestly think you have any sort of moral authority, Reyiz? Go genocide some more armenians and deny it ever happened, please, and stay in the middle east.

Offline Teeth

• View Profile
« Reply #532 on: October 11, 2013, 07:09:18 pm »
+1
I don't know who is in charge of map rotation but some of the maps on EU1 are abysmal plus its all too repetitive, I believe more is better.
I think 60-70 maps is a fairly good number and flooding the rotation with village maps has not been appreciated in the past. Exactly that caused people to complain about boring map rotations, as custom maps are usually a bit more imaginative than village ones. Complaints about village maps have caused a village map purging campaign a long time a go. All that said, I do find the dozen village maps that remain fairly crappy at times. We removed a bunch of them due to turdy hills usually when me and Fips did our first rotation review.

So I guess there is some room to re-add some village maps, cause I have taken a gander as well and there are definitely a bunch out there which play very well but have been removed, some are much better than the ones we currently have. Thanks for doing a pre-selection, must've taken some effort.

Offline Gnjus

• King
  • Renown: 1831
  • Infamy: 397
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Siktir git, pislik okçu.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Turklings
« Reply #533 on: October 11, 2013, 09:40:19 pm »
I think 60-70 maps is a fairly good number and flooding the rotation with village maps has not been appreciated in the past. Exactly that caused people to complain about boring map rotation

In the past village maps weren't edited correctly. It wouldn't be a useless flood if on some of the maps I listed the spawn points were made on the right place (and a few roofs cut away ofc), they would add another dimension and the gameplay on them would be quite different then in the past, I'm 100% positive about it.
Do you honestly think you have any sort of moral authority, Reyiz? Go genocide some more armenians and deny it ever happened, please, and stay in the middle east.

Offline Camaris

• Count
  • Renown: 223
  • Infamy: 56
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE
  • Game nicks: Neresto_HRE
  • IRC nick: Neresto_HRE
« Reply #534 on: October 13, 2013, 02:17:49 am »
I do miss the Castle of Cohen. Were did it go?
Name was Forest Attack. Still in Rotation?

Offline Teeth

• View Profile
« Reply #535 on: October 13, 2013, 09:50:01 am »
It was removed due to poor design with only two ways in, one of them being a ladder that was very easy to lock down, which leaves attackers to run into a maul fest like it's singleplayer siege. It needs to be modified so it has a third way in or a better option than the front ladder.

Offline Daunt_Flockula

• Marshall
  • Renown: 870
  • Infamy: 71
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook
  • Step aside peasants!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Pixel Paladins
  • Game nicks: Cock_Blockula Kunt_Blockula Daunt_Flockula
« Reply #536 on: October 15, 2013, 11:31:30 pm »
+2
This set of wooden barriers at the attacker spawn in Hailes Castle should be revised:

(click to show/hide)

Most of the time, you spawn in the middle of it and have to walk all the way around to move on. Removing it entirely would give the defending archers a nice hunting opportunity. So, I think it would be better to place some spacing on that big wall. Two or three would do the trick neatly.

Offline Kampfkarotte

• Knight
  • Renown: 56
  • Infamy: 26
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: GK, Kapikulu
  • Game nicks: WARLORD, Kegorus
« Reply #537 on: October 25, 2013, 05:26:35 pm »
+1
I just found a thread where Chagan_Arslan posted very nice battle maps he created: http://forum.melee.org/scene-editing/natural-maps/
and it felt quite nostalgic to see them after so long time not played..
It would be awesome if at least some of them would be taken again. In my opinion, there should be much more battle maps in rotation, at the moment are just too few.
Of course, I don't want that every crap gets added to the rotation, but there are sooo many nice maps which I havent played for months/years..
The current siege rotation is very nice at the moment, cause they added several maps some weeks ago =D

Offline Kalp

• Marshall
  • Renown: 750
  • Infamy: 253
  • Form ranks, you maggots!
    • View Profile
    • Kahhhaaargaar!!! Uuurrr!!!
  • Faction: Grey Order
  • Game nicks: Kalp_the_Grey
  • IRC nick: Kalp
« Reply #538 on: November 05, 2013, 04:47:39 pm »
Mmm fantastic castle, someone make really good workvisitors can't see pics , please register or login

(click to show/hide)
The goal of Strategus battles shouldnt be to deprive your enemies of players, but to have full roster both sides and have the gear/tactics/strategy win the day rather than lack of merc support.

Offline Fips

• Renown: 1217
  • Infamy: 290
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Holy Roman Empire
  • Game nicks: Fips_HRE
« Reply #539 on: November 05, 2013, 04:58:59 pm »
QQ. Problem is already fixed, just needs a hotfix from chadz.