Author Topic: Any martial artists?  (Read 4848 times)

Offline Darkoveride

• Baron
  • Renown: 106
  • Infamy: 24
  • cRPG Player
  • Steppe armor best armor
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans.
  • Game nicks: GK_Darko, Commissar Darko
Re: Any martial artists?
« Reply #45 on: January 10, 2012, 05:58:59 pm »
but you welcome to your opinion about it , everything is interpretted differently by different people.  :P
BUBASTAN FOR LIFE

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 10, 2012, 06:04:34 pm »
Just to get this straight - you hop from martial art to martial art because of practicality, but when I said there's no practicality about it if you don't stay long enough to learn it... you say that it's all about the instinct and experience anyway? Wtf? Why do you go in the first place then and do the bunnyhop thing?
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline B3RS3RK

• Earl
  • Renown: 377
  • Infamy: 103
  • cRPG Player
  • Sexy and I know it.
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Saracen_Berserkaziz_Amir
« Reply #47 on: January 10, 2012, 06:11:44 pm »
So he can find out which art is the best to beat the shit out of people?
Maybe it woud be better for me to find out where you life and kill you when you are satch a Soziopath. You have enough now.
"I don´t believe in anything, I´m just here for the violence."

Offline Darkoveride

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 10, 2012, 07:40:04 pm »
martial arts are good place to learn techniques, for more experienced people. Like i said there is too much focus on belts and grades at least in my experience. But it all comes down to what you want from a martial art, if you prefer to master one art at a time thats your choice but dont disregard other people's preferences.
BUBASTAN FOR LIFE

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 10, 2012, 08:26:03 pm »
Why not?
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.

Offline Leesin

• King
  • Renown: 1009
  • Infamy: 230
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Leesin
« Reply #50 on: January 10, 2012, 11:47:17 pm »
Only ones I would even bother to learn are Boxing, Kickboxing/Muay Thai, Wrestling, Judo and Jiu-Jitsu. They are the most likely classes that wont be full of McDojo wankers trying to sell you belts, too many bundle of stickss jumped on the bandwagon long ago in trying to convince people what they are teaching them is effective and useful to get money out of them by selling them belts etc.

Plus in a real fight they are probably the most effective ones because they don't rely on all of these stupid complicated fantasy techniques which in turn require your opponent to be a very slow and unco-ordinated retard to pull off. Learn how to throw punches properly and punch with the proper technique everyday and it will get trained into your muscle memory, so when shit kicks off, you are throwing good punches naturally.

Wrestling, Judo and Jiu-Jitsu are of course more dangerous to use in a street fight situation because you increase the chance of someone pulling a knife and stabbing you before you realise they have one or because he might have friends who will come over and kick you in the head when you are on top of him punching him in the face. But they are still valuable skills, especially against a bigger opponent who is trying to bully you to the ground on your back, where you really don't want to be regardless of if he has a knife or not.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 11:49:30 pm by Leesin »

Offline Darkoveride

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 11, 2012, 12:59:43 am »
i agree with you on all those points. And xant ..... you bore me now good day sir.
BUBASTAN FOR LIFE

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 11, 2012, 01:06:56 am »
Wrestling, Judo and Jiu-Jitsu are of course more dangerous to use in a street fight situation because you increase the chance of someone pulling a knife and stabbing you before you realise they have one or because he might have friends who will come over and kick you in the head when you are on top of him punching him in the face. But they are still valuable skills, especially against a bigger opponent who is trying to bully you to the ground on your back, where you really don't want to be regardless of if he has a knife or not.

What you mean is, going on the ground is dangerous. JJJ (most JJs in fact) are not ground-focused at all. Judo, generally, focuses at least just as much on throws and sweeps as it does on the groundgame. Wrestling has takedowns too, not sure what their curriculums include though and how much of what.
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.

Offline FRANK_THE_TANK

• King
  • Renown: 1312
  • Infamy: 339
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
  • FluckCucker
    • View Profile
  • Faction: A Free and proud Peasant of Fisdnar!!!
  • Game nicks: FRANK_THE_TANK
  • IRC nick: Sippy sip
« Reply #53 on: January 11, 2012, 01:53:28 am »
BJJ and Greco Roman wrestling + some Aikido when I was younger and living in Japan.

It all went to the shit after my back injury :( I used to train 6 days a week in BJJ and greco, now I do square fuck all.

@Leeshin: Judo is great but it is McBeltorama. Its 100% awesome fun and worth doing. Its great as a sport and has practical street applications.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 01:59:18 am by FRANK_THE_TANK »
Fammi un pompino!

I think I have ball cancer in my right nut :(
Good news everybody! It's not nut cancer :)
Bad news everybody, I got dumped :(

Offline Konrax

• Count
  • Renown: 281
  • Infamy: 107
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Konrax of Chaos
« Reply #54 on: January 11, 2012, 02:23:27 am »
Any martial art you learn is good for you in a bunch of ways as long as the place teaching you has your mental and physical development as their main priority. Any place where their primary goal is to get their hands in your pocket will fail you if you have a real expectation to learn an art.

As far as which art is best and that whole peen flex competition goes, none of them. Each art has its circumstances that it will perform the best in, they all have different strengths and weaknesses, and they can all defeat each other.

In other words its not the art you are fighting, its the man (or woman) you are fighting that matters most.

At the end of the day though being an experienced fighter in any art puts you at an advantage when facing someone who isn't experienced, even if weapons are involved.

Offline Leesin

• King
  • Renown: 1009
  • Infamy: 230
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Leesin
« Reply #55 on: January 11, 2012, 12:26:52 pm »
What you mean is, going on the ground is dangerous. JJJ (most JJs in fact) are not ground-focused at all. Judo, generally, focuses at least just as much on throws and sweeps as it does on the groundgame. Wrestling has takedowns too, not sure what their curriculums include though and how much of what.

Wrestling is highly focused on take downs and gaining top posistion, the take downs being more shooting like double legs, single legs, bodylock slams etc. Jiu-Jitsu is all ground game with submissions from all posistions, it utilises more sweeps and trips in its takedowns along with double legs. Judo is huge on throws. I trained wrestling and some jiu jitsu out of the grappling arts, wrestling is my favourite to be honest and I miss doing it.

But anyway, my point was that in a street fight you are best to spend as little time possible grappling as you can, because if you are grappling with someone who is resisting it is likely that you cannot see everything they are doing with your eyes, if they pull a knife out you may not see it and you will most likely get stabbed in such a situation.

Which is what I meant by saying that they are valuable skills, but aren't really the greatest for having a random street fight, because there are too many variables for you to be tied up with your opponent, if he pulls a knife or he has friends to come and help him, you will be an easy target if you are grappling with him. It's better to be able to punch hard, fast and accurate in such a situation and keep the option of retreating available if he does pull a knife or his friends want to come and help him.

@Leeshin: Judo is great but it is McBeltorama. Its 100% awesome fun and worth doing. Its great as a sport and has practical street applications.

That's not what I meant mate. There are plenty of arts where belts are used, that is normal.

What I mean is "McDojos" who are ran by liars and shitty trainers that convince people what they are teaching them is awesome, then they sell them belts and tons of other shit, making the people who are learning there think they are doing awesome, when the trainers are just in it to get easy money out of naive Bruce Lee wannabes. Then some guy who's trained there goes around telling everyone he's a blackbelt in such and such, but he actually can't fight for shit.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 12:32:22 pm by Leesin »

Offline Casimir

• King
  • Renown: 1756
  • Infamy: 271
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The Dashing Templar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Templar
  • Game nicks: Templar_Casimir
  • IRC nick: Casimir
« Reply #56 on: January 11, 2012, 12:34:44 pm »
I practice teh ancient art of Hoo-Fwung-Poo
Turtles

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 11, 2012, 03:25:40 pm »
Jiu-Jitsu is all ground game with submissions from all posistions, it utilises more sweeps and trips in its takedowns along with double legs.

No. BJJ maybe, but that's far from the only jiu-jitsu.
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.

Offline Konrax

• Count
  • Renown: 281
  • Infamy: 107
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Konrax of Chaos
« Reply #58 on: January 11, 2012, 08:31:37 pm »
No. BJJ maybe, but that's far from the only jiu-jitsu.

Japanese JJ has strikes in it and throws.

The original form of Judo before it was cleaned up also had strikes and kicks in it as well.

Offline SixThumbs

• Duke
  • Renown: 567
  • Infamy: 60
  • cRPG Player
  • Consumer Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 11, 2012, 09:07:32 pm »
+1
Who cares? I'm sure most of the martial arts schools you'd come across are McDojos anyway. The ones I've been seeing recently are.
And how!