Author Topic: Learning Chambering  (Read 4896 times)

Offline Herkkutatti

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 292
  • Infamy: 149
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: Learning Chambering
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2012, 09:22:35 am »
If you want basic training , try chambering with bots  8-)
/l
(゚、 。 7
l、 ~ヽ
じしf_, )ノ Nerf archery ,please!

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2012, 10:47:32 am »
First lesson: chambering =/= chamberblocking

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2012, 11:35:40 am »
Actually, chamberblocking is the best thing to do against feinters. If your opponent feints, but you try to chamber against that feint attack, you hit him before he hits you (unless he is using a longsword or a katana, doesn't work against those :/)(Or unless you are using a slow ass weapon)

Yeah that's the problem with chamberblocks. For common skill, sometimes it fails and you pay it, so you need a lot of STR not to die after three hits. But you also need your attacks not to be too slow (and your weapon shoulnd't be too small either) to avoid falling for feints and holds of fast weapons.

Offline Gravoth_iii

• King
  • Renown: 1454
  • Infamy: 341
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
  • \ [†] / ☼
    • View Profile
  • Faction: ▬▬ι═══════ﺤ
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_Gravoth, Prince_of_the_Land_of_Stench, Gravy, Igor_Boltsack
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2012, 12:14:53 pm »
My tips for this is go to single player, find a training area and challenge bots, attempt to chamber all their hits. I usually chamber then interrupt my attack before i hit so i can keep training without having to switch opponent ^^'

Also going by sound works pretty well for me sometimes, when i hear the swoop sound, when an attack is launched i attack usually results in a chamber.
Paprika: ...the Internet and dreams are similar. They're areas where the repressed conscious mind escapes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VXQSs1Qfcc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LW6y-kgKtA
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Xtrah

• Noble
  • Renown: 20
  • Infamy: 10
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Merc_Xtrah
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2012, 01:11:33 pm »
Too many players fails against a good sideswing chamber :) If you'd like a quick demonstration/some tips, send me a PM and I can add you on steam. EU only though.

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2012, 02:24:02 pm »
First lesson: chambering =/= chamberblocking
Too late man, term has already changed meaning. I'm surprised no one has  said 'click LMB' or something.

Offline wayyyyyne

• Marshall
  • Renown: 725
  • Infamy: 233
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2012, 02:55:08 pm »
2.)  I dunno, I just, uh, chamber?
3.) Probably not 1handed. You will be far more often out of reach to chamber than with polearms or twohanders.
4.)  (speaking as a twohander): chambering sidewings is hardly worth it. Not only because those are harder to pull off, but also people manage to block those more often for some reason.
5.)  Str_KpuBopyk is actually a pretty good call. It's like fighting Urist with the addition of the occasional chamber (his ryhtm goes like: block, block, block, block, block, block, chamber...) but unlike khorin, and occasionally Phyrex, this guy NEVER falls for held swings.
Speaking native wise: M. That guy is chambering thrusts like a bitch all the time
« Last Edit: November 24, 2013, 04:47:09 pm by wayyyyyne »

Offline [ptx]

• King
  • Renown: 1871
  • Infamy: 422
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • such OP. so bundle of sticks. wow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2012, 02:59:48 pm »
It's like fighting Urist with the addition of the occacsional chamber (his ryhtm goes like: block, block, block, block, block, block, chamber...) but unlike khorin, and occasionally Phyrex, this guy NEVER falls for held swings.
Must have caught him on a non-chambering day, it usually goes like chamber, block, chamber, chamber, block, chamber, block, chamber, spam, chamber, block...

Offline wayyyyyne

• Marshall
  • Renown: 725
  • Infamy: 233
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2012, 03:03:04 pm »
Probably depends on the player he's fighting. I was pointing out that this guy just keeps blocking until he spots the chance to chamber one of your attacks (It's as lame as it is effective)
« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 03:10:48 pm by wayyyyyne »

Offline Ninja_Khorin

• King
  • Renown: 1067
  • Infamy: 90
  • Zen
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Clan Ninja
  • Game nicks: Khorin/Keyoke/Lujan
  • IRC nick: Khorin
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2012, 05:07:18 pm »
I learned my chambering by failing at it for a day. Then started in earnest, sitting on EU_3 duelling without using the blocking at all, only focused on chambers.

And if I ever was the best at something in cRPG, those days are waaaaay behind me.

Offline Spawny

• Count
  • Renown: 152
  • Infamy: 27
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Templar_Spawny
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2012, 05:11:51 pm »
+1
Thing I usually notice:

When you start chambering, people tend to hold their attacks.
Chambering a feint may result in you hitting the guy, chambering a held attack results in you getting hit.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

The problem is even if you are number 1 in NA you are still only number 467 in EU or the worst in AUS(number 17)

Offline RandomDude

• Earl
  • Renown: 431
  • Infamy: 43
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
  • I play now! but I suck =(
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: RandomDude
  • IRC nick: RandomDude
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2012, 06:32:36 pm »
What ptx says is right (about using it vs feinters)

It's really rare for ppl to chamber in battle/siege, although it does happen and therefore it's best to try to use it in those situations.

I dont even plan to chamber any more,I just do it and usually vs thrust attacks.

I dunno what happened with side swing chambers but they became really hard for me to pull off lately.

You can also chamber held attacks, sometimes by timing (read part-luck) and sometimes just because you're fast enough to release in time.

I dont want to go in depth on everything Ive learned about chambering for a few reasons.

#1 Im not where I want to be with it yet
#2 It took me many hours and many deaths to get to this stage
#3 To be able to do it and learn from anything else I type u need to do #2 first.

Offline Xtrah

• Noble
  • Renown: 20
  • Infamy: 10
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Merc_Xtrah
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2012, 10:37:36 pm »
As RandomDude states, it's very rare to see chambers in battle and siege, but I think that's what makes it good. An unexpected chamber wins a lot of fights if you have the damage.  :)

Offline Phyrex

• Count
  • Renown: 192
  • Infamy: 13
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: 22nd Battalion
  • Game nicks: 22nd_Overlord_Phyrex
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2012, 11:00:52 pm »
+1
1. Go to Native tutorial.
2. Practise chamber on the veteran npc.
3. Chamber every strike he throws at you.
4. When 3 is done for a long time -> go duels/battles and try them out.
5. Repeat forever!

[Edit]: Or well... that's what I did and it has worked out pretty god damn good so far. :P
« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 11:07:37 pm by Phyrex »
Free Bjordhinn!

Offline RamsesXXIIX

• Count
  • Renown: 252
  • Infamy: 65
  • Yes, I prey on the weak.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Ramses
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2012, 12:41:16 am »
I found a duelling guide on the TW forums, where LordHasek brings in some points of critisism about chambering, which could be relevant for you. Note, this is in native:

Chamber Blocking: When and Why
[/size]

Up until now, I have mostly discounted the technique of chamber blocking and it's role in duels. I will start with a discussion of the limitations and disadvantages of this technique. Actively chamber blocking with any kind of reliability depends greatly on the duelists ping, and it is my opinion anything over 60 ms makes chamber blocking a shaky proposition at best. Additionally, chamber blocking imposes no penalty on the opponent who has had his attack chamber blocked - that is to say the opposing duelist is not stunned as if their attack had simply been parried normally. Lastly, the speed of your weapon also greatly affects the timing necessary for successful chamber blocks. A relatively slow great sword is an entirely different experience from the light and quick spear. Having made these cautionary statements, let us turn to the advantages and best uses of chamber blocking.

The greatest and most obvious advantage of an unexpected chamber block is the deadliness of your new attack. If the opposing duelist is in range of your weapon, then he has only a split second to abort from what he expected to be a successful attack into a precision parry. The sound of clanging metal is the only warning an opponent has that his attack has been chamber blocked, and registering this sound in time to parry the strike is difficult, though not impossible, even for expert duelists. So when exactly is the best time to chamber block? Or, rephrased, when is it safest to attempt a chamber block? During the opening of the duel is when you should be working for your best positioning on your opponent and this is therefore your best chance at chamber blocking and catching your opponent by surprise. During the heat of The Dance your positioning is rarely optimal and makes chamber blocking a much lower percentage move. This is not to say chamber blocking cannot be done, but it requires a few components to be successful.
* Your opponent is feinting. By knowing how to chamber you can call your opponent's feints and score a quick kill.
* You have the positioning advantage. Swinging while turned at anything greater than 30 degrees to your opponent will result in a failed chamber and a quick death.
* You have the ping necessary to accomplish the chamber. Self explanatory and is addressed above.

Chamber Blocking Reference Guide:
Attack incoming from your left - You swing to your left
Attack incoming from your right - You swing to your right
Attack is a thrust - You thrust OR you swing overhead
Attack is an overhead - You swing overhead

All credits go to LordHasek: http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php?action=profile;u=70267

From this thread on the TW forums: http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,118804.0.html