Poll

Remove the aim sights for all weapons

Yes
No

Author Topic: Remove crosshairs from ranged weapons  (Read 3542 times)

Offline Gorath

• Count
  • Renown: 226
  • Infamy: 168
  • cRPG Player
  • Why the hell did I do anything other than ranged?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: The threat of physical violence should be present in all things
  • IRC nick: Otherwise we get a swarm of faggot children like the majority of the cRPG/Internet population
Re: Remove crosshairs from ranged weapons
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2011, 08:09:37 pm »
But what about us 3rd person players?

Yeah.  I'll just put a piece of tape in the middle of my screen or mod my UI if I have to in order to play in 3rd person.  Can't stand 1st person view except in single player.  Multiplayer needs far too much spatial awareness to do 1st person in anything but duels and for lulz.
And I should be nice or polite to anyone.... why exactly?

Offline bruce

• Count
  • Renown: 262
  • Infamy: 61
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: the Freak Army of the Gnjus / Saracens
  • Game nicks: Saracen_el_Brus
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2011, 08:24:22 pm »
Yeah.  I'll just put a piece of tape in the middle of my screen or mod my UI if I have to in order to play in 3rd person.

What if you can't shoot in third person? Heh.

Btw, I tried using the crossbow in 1st person, it's fine, easier to aim even.

Best ban reason ever:
Quote from: Wookimonsta
I checked, the only Vagabond I found was Wolves_Vagabond_TheCruel, that guy is now unbanned. Ban reason was: "calling Zotte a cockswoggler".

Offline Joxer

• Knight
  • Renown: 55
  • Infamy: 53
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Autolycus Joxer_The_Mighty Salmoneus
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2011, 08:27:08 pm »
Yeah.  I'll just put a piece of tape in the middle of my screen or mod my UI if I have to in order to play in 3rd person.  Can't stand 1st person view except in single player.  Multiplayer needs far too much spatial awareness to do 1st person in anything but duels and for lulz.

I already have the most awesome modded UI ever :)
Why is everybody telling me to think? I think, I just don't show it.

Offline Gurnisson

• King
  • Renown: 1750
  • Infamy: 362
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
  • Game nicks: SeaRaider_Gurnisson
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2011, 08:47:01 pm »
You lose.  :wink:

But, I'm not used to that. :|
I voted Gurnisson cause of his fucking bendy pike, I swear noone can roflcopter stab like he can.

Offline Gorath

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Otherwise we get a swarm of faggot children like the majority of the cRPG/Internet population
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2011, 09:33:09 pm »
What if you can't shoot in third person? Heh. 
Well that'd be lame.
Btw, I tried using the crossbow in 1st person, it's fine, easier to aim even.

It's not the aiming I have issue with in 1st person, it's that I can't adjust the FoV like in other FPS games.  If I could change the FoV to a 180 degree view like in Unreal for instance I'd use first person more.  As is though, first person has such a narrow FoV that you can't even see someone standing directly to your side like IRL.  That's the problem I have with it.  The field of vision is too narrow.  Hell I use 1st person to aim and shoot when there's obstacles in my way from using 3rd person, and I duel in 1st person almost exclusively anymore on the duel server which is amazingly fun.

Joxer, what UI mods do you have?

Offline Joxer

• Knight
  • Renown: 55
  • Infamy: 53
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Autolycus Joxer_The_Mighty Salmoneus
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2011, 09:46:31 pm »
http://www.mbrepository.com/file.php?id=1546
Also it's not the FoV I'm worried about in 1st person. It's the wrong position of the view. However it seems on those chadz screenshots that has been issued. I might lear to use 1st person if that gets into the game.
Why is everybody telling me to think? I think, I just don't show it.

Offline Gorath

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2011, 03:24:41 am »
http://www.mbrepository.com/file.php?id=1546
Also it's not the FoV I'm worried about in 1st person. It's the wrong position of the view. However it seems on those chadz screenshots that has been issued. I might lear to use 1st person if that gets into the game.

Ah the predator x-hairs.  Nice.  I've seen those, but I've gotten so used to using parts of the circles in the default x-hair for leading targets, range finding, etc that I don't think those would work as well for me.

The wrong position I get use to because in 3rd person I don't actually use the dots for targeting, I use the little circle the left and right parts of the x-hair make below the dots to line up the shot.  In 1st person I adjust to use the dots themselves.  Hard to explain but it's the best I can do to describe the adjustment needed between 1st and 3rd person view aiming (essentially the 3rd person arrows shoot below the dots).

Offline Boss_Awesome

• Earl
  • Renown: 338
  • Infamy: 65
  • cRPG Player
  • I am the Kwisatz Haderach
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Fallen Brigade (Not the Coalition)
  • Game nicks: Boss_Awesome
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2011, 06:17:23 pm »
Lots of people are still being archers or ranged for they're devious and sinister reasons... why not we remove crosshairs :D

Are you implying that archers weren't nerfed enough because people still play them and that the reason for this nerf was to make a melee only game?

Offline Mizzles

• Peasant
  • Renown: 2
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2011, 09:53:58 am »
This is silly, part of the reason we have crosshairs for ranged combat is because unlike in real life we don't have the same ability to judge distance, speed and overall precision in the game world. Not only that but without the crosshairs ranged characters would have no idea when their accuracy was falling due to resisting the pull of the bowstring (if bowmen) or even that their shot was at full power. SO, just imagine how this would affect the actual gameplay, basically every ranged character would be unable to hit any target beyond mid range, with a bow those hits may or may not be full power AND it would become significantly harder to judge where your shot was going within the games field of view. Not too mention the delicate balance of total weight on ranged characters affecting accuracy. It would become significantly harder to test the affects of different builds and load-outs on weapon accuracy etc.

Edit: Sorry for any failures in grammar its nearly 4AM here, probably some fragments or comma splices but hopefully that is overlooked and the content is evaluated instead. *Cheers*
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 09:59:01 am by Mizzles »

Offline Wookimonsta

• Hoopy frood
  • Count
  • Renown: 206
  • Infamy: 143
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2011, 10:23:33 am »
well, if people modify their game files, there is always the possibility of forcing the mod to do a hashsum check of your gamefiles, and if anything is different, it immediatly bans you
[14:36] <@chadz> when you login there is a message "your life as horse archer was too depressing for you. you decided to commit suicide. please create a new char"
<dexxtaa> I just saw nakey ladies and I left
<@Fasader> dexxtaa is clearly gay

Offline Serruntis

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2011, 10:27:21 am »
Is this a melee only game? If so just take out the archer class from the mod, will fix all of your silly complains

Offline Momo

• Baron
  • Renown: 141
  • Infamy: 170
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: _Momo_
  • IRC nick: Momo
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2011, 02:16:15 pm »
Is this a melee only game? If so just take out the archer class from the mod, will fix all of your silly complains

I don't understand why ranged cry about crosshair, you will get a much more better camera view for it. Have you seen the pics?
I was the first one who started -1-ing everyone, now everyone does it to everyone.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Hirlok

• Duke
  • Renown: 624
  • Infamy: 122
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • A friendly archer decorating your ass with arrows
    • View Profile
    • Gab.ai. Freedom of Speech matters.
  • Faction: Always Take The Shot
  • Game nicks: None that you need to know of - except Hirlok the Hermit.
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2011, 02:53:08 pm »
they just want to make bows and crossbows even more sidearm weapons that they are now. ;)

seems so. Thats why I already play a "fighting archer", who obviously sucks at fighting AND arching, but is still fun ;-)

I am still  a noob (gen 2 / mid 20s), but that I noticed already. Most folks here are using the weapon that gives them the most "kills" for their ego (hammerhoids, baremace-bullies, throwers, 2H teamhitters and the like...), and even if xp/gold are based on the team results, they act not in a tactical way, but so that they personally can cut down as much as possible. And they don't notice that many of the kills they harvest are not actually theirs, because the guy already got 3 or 4 arrows in his butt and just needs a mild slap with whatever to finally die... hitpoints-based toplists would remind them... but that's just a sidenote.

Back to topic: the crosshairs are no "crosshairs", just in case some of those who want to remove them never used them... ;-)

You are already aiming manually, esp. for long ranged shots, and  as someone already stated, the reticule just helps you with the timing. Something delicate like drawing a bow and releasing it at the right time (hard to understand for hammer-guys) needs some kind of visualisation, since I can not "feel" the tension of the bow and the state of my muscles.

So: no, you can not remove it, and I do not see any alternative way for visualisation, unless we want to give our bows a HUD like from "Sniper: Ghost Warrior", where we see our heartbeat rate, the wind conditions, a tension/relaxation bar for the state of our muscles, and a sideview of the bow to show its current curve.

Just keep the crosshairs, it is more simple.
Hermit Status report : feeling a little social. Threatening melee my old friends with a comeback. Greasing the string of his old longbow. Carving certain names into the tips of his arrows...

Offline Gorath

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2011, 07:14:39 pm »
I don't understand why ranged cry about crosshair, you will get a much more better camera view for it. Have you seen the pics?

Yeah I have, and they're all 1st person view which is like wearing horse blinders so you can only see 10 degrees in front of you.  Some douche could be running up to your side and mooning you and you'd never notice.  Unless that's the plan, force all players to fight in 1st person.  If so then that's cool and I'll play along, but if EVERYONE isn't forced into 1st person it seems a bit crazy to fuck over only a certain group of people like that.

well, if people modify their game files, there is always the possibility of forcing the mod to do a hashsum check of your gamefiles, and if anything is different, it immediatly bans you

Well that's a bit harsh isn't it?  What about the better metal sounds mod, louder horses mod, alternate textures/colors etc.
Anyways a piece of painters tape is just as easy.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 07:15:40 pm by Gorath »

Offline Momo

• Baron
  • Renown: 141
  • Infamy: 170
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: _Momo_
  • IRC nick: Momo
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2011, 07:18:18 pm »
Yeah I have, and they're all 1st person view which is like wearing horse blinders so you can only see 10 degrees in front of you.  Some douche could be running up to your side and mooning you and you'd never notice.  Unless that's the plan, force all players to fight in 1st person.  If so then that's cool and I'll play along, but if EVERYONE isn't forced into 1st person it seems a bit crazy to fuck over only a certain group of people like that.

Well that's a bit harsh isn't it?  What about the better metal sounds mod, louder horses mod, alternate textures/colors etc.
Anyways a piece of painters tape is just as easy.

First person would be cool in meele (for me its ok), just make a normal camera view for it : ).
I was the first one who started -1-ing everyone, now everyone does it to everyone.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login