Author Topic: Ever used real armor?  (Read 6286 times)

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: Ever used real armor?
« Reply #30 on: December 16, 2011, 04:01:37 pm »
+1
My manly figure is my armor by itself

Offline Elric_de_Melnibone

• Peasant
  • Renown: 8
  • Infamy: 10
  • cRPG Player
  • FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 16, 2011, 04:04:15 pm »
Even back in the day they would've had non-lethal training Xant...nobles spent their entire lives training (at least in the early days of Feudalism when being a noble=warlord), men-at-arms had training as well. Tournaments were all non-lethal too...But meh, MMA is "non-lethal". That doesn't mean it isn't a bloody, violent and adrenaline filled sport.

Thank you. I'm almost desperately trying to get a point across, but it seems to bounce off like a rubber ball from a wall.
Now people are even questioning my ability to comprehend the language.

Maybe it's time wasted?
- What can change the nature of a man?

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 16, 2011, 04:12:50 pm »
Even back in the day they would've had non-lethal training Xant...nobles spent their entire lives training (at least in the early days of Feudalism when being a noble=warlord), men-at-arms had training as well. Tournaments were all non-lethal too...But meh, MMA is "non-lethal". That doesn't mean it isn't a bloody, violent and adrenaline filled sport.

This is true, but I don't see how it refutes anything I said, though.
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline Tristan

• Count
  • Renown: 200
  • Infamy: 52
  • cRPG Player
  • Listen to wisdom!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild (Guards)
  • Game nicks: Guard_Tristan
  • IRC nick: Guard_Tristan
« Reply #33 on: December 16, 2011, 04:48:30 pm »
+2
Jesus Christ guys. You really are fighting over different definitions of Roleplaying.

According to your definition Xant any medieval combat training with wooden swords are roleplay. Same goes for solders training for combat as they shoot blank shots. Roleplay? Paintball..... Roleplay?

This is not my defition of roleplaying, hence I tend to agree with Elric. You can call it a game or whatever. But it ain't roleplay as the "acting" is out.

I find an essential part of roleplaying being that you take on a different role. You play another person. These guys aren't acting or playing another person. They just playing. Not roleplaying.

What is funny is that you implicitly took Elrics comments on rpg as an offense. While I understand his words can be interpreted in that way (More dangerous = more cool = less gaming that rpg = better) and that might be where he is going though he might not admit it.

While I don't do Larps no more because I don't like the padded weapons and the general immature acting and focus on fantastical elements, roleplaying with reenactors I believe to be hugely fun. And that my friends could be called roleplaying just with more shiny equipment.

So tl;dr Xant, unless you categorize boxing, Karate and Football as roleplaying, you can't call what Elric is doing for Roleplaying.
You are however justified in calling it playing. But That was not really the discussion was it?
He is despised and rejected of men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief. He was oppressed, and he was afflicted, yet he opened his mouth.

Offline Everkistus

• Marshall
  • Renown: 987
  • Infamy: 108
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • No good deed goes unpunished
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Everkistus
  • IRC nick: Everkistus
« Reply #34 on: December 16, 2011, 04:55:34 pm »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 16, 2011, 05:02:20 pm »
According to your definition Xant any medieval combat training with wooden swords are roleplay. Same goes for solders training for combat as they shoot blank shots. Roleplay? Paintball..... Roleplay?

No.
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.

Offline Thucydides

• Baron
  • Renown: 129
  • Infamy: 28
  • cRPG Player
  • I shat Uranus
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Thucydides
« Reply #36 on: December 16, 2011, 05:11:49 pm »
if they're using metal maces and weapons, even if it is blunted, i wouldn't call it roleplay anymore than fencers sparring.

Offline SixThumbs

• Duke
  • Renown: 567
  • Infamy: 60
  • cRPG Player
  • Consumer Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 16, 2011, 05:15:30 pm »
That is pretty much what you're saying, Xant.

Regardless of whether or not, definitely not, he's going to end up in a real-life situation where he's going to be decked out in replicated full plate armor and appropriate matching weapons; the group he's associating with is doing their best to train with replicated weapons of the time period using modern techniques and training.

The instructor isn't going to swing a pick into someone's neck to show the trainees how to get around armor and they're literally not going to be bashing each others skulls in as practice.

Actually, now that I think about it pretty much is role-playing (you could say the same about taking martial arts or cooking classes).
And how!

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 16, 2011, 05:20:19 pm »
No, SixThumbs -- if you cannot see the difference between soldiers training skills for combat that will very likely save their lives (training vrs roleplaying... soldiers don't roleplay soldiers, they are soldiers) and geeks running around in plate swinging weapons at eachother that do no harm (in the 21th century no less), well....
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 16, 2011, 05:28:03 pm »
No, people just completely overestimate the killing power of maces and blunt weapons in general.
(one handed) blunt weapons were used to demolish your opponents armour so much that he couldn't fight anymore, not to kill.

Maces are pretty effective armoured killing tools right? As far as I know when you hit someone in the head with a mace you don't just damage armour. You are dishing out blunt trauma. You don't have to break necks or slice things open to kill someone, shaking someone's brain hard enough in his skull is pretty deadly too.

I have no experience with it, but seems to me that when you get hit by a decent weight mace in the head, only padding can save your ass. A layer of steel doesn't reduce the shock.

Offline SixThumbs

• Duke
  • Renown: 567
  • Infamy: 60
  • cRPG Player
  • Consumer Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 16, 2011, 05:28:24 pm »
Now it's just coming down to semantics and study cases because the way I see it we're saying the same thing. It's the practicality of it and some soldiers never see live-combat and shouldn't even be fit to be called soldiers in the first place. This just seems more geeky and the foundation they have to build from is out-dated and not remembered.
And how!

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • Renown: 1844
  • Infamy: 371
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: No faction, methinks.
  • Game nicks: Sir_Christo, Christo, Cristo.
  • IRC nick: Christo
« Reply #41 on: December 16, 2011, 05:33:17 pm »
Real armor? Nah.

Only a helmet, once.

Was fun, though.

Thanks to cmpxchg8b for the picture!

Offline Laufknoten

• Earl
  • Renown: 480
  • Infamy: 63
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
  • BOAT OF ANGER FLOATING ON THE SEA OF TEARS
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Burg Krems
  • Game nicks: Felipe
« Reply #42 on: December 16, 2011, 06:08:42 pm »
Okay, I took a look this site Elric posted. Basically they just want to have rough and brutal medieval-whathever-combat. They think modern (medieval) fencing is gay, because of all the rules and restrictions.
They are maniacs, but I kinda like their attitude. :D

We don't expect that pathetic mainstreamers understand what moves us fight clubbers and we will not explain it. Do not try to invent an explanation for our actions and don't tell us that you can somehow understand or tolerate us. We don't like you because you are the scum that makes this world so ugly.

There's even a funny article about weaboos. :D

Offline Everkistus

• Marshall
  • Renown: 987
  • Infamy: 108
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • No good deed goes unpunished
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Everkistus
  • IRC nick: Everkistus
« Reply #43 on: December 16, 2011, 06:55:59 pm »
Please do translate!

Offline v/onMega

• Count
  • Renown: 234
  • Infamy: 67
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Bearzantium
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_vMega
« Reply #44 on: December 16, 2011, 07:09:49 pm »
Only armor Xant wears is the chastity belt given to him by Siiem.

I got the keys.

Quiet now u bitches. 8-) :D