Poll

Increase the running speed penalty from armor weight.

Yes
No

Author Topic: Make the weight penalties from armor affect more runnin speed.  (Read 5380 times)

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: Make the weight penalties from armor affect more runnin speed.
« Reply #60 on: December 18, 2011, 12:59:53 pm »
+1
High armor doesn't affect maximum running speed, but massively reduces acceleration. It's quite balanced at the moment. But I think a nerf to the highly armored people max speed is in order. Of course, the upkeep of high armor should be lowered to balance it up.

Currently, it requires very specific playstyle to play an armor crutcher effectively. I bought a +3 Black Armor just to test it out, and respecced as a 30/9 2h (10PS, 10IF). People hardly ever bounce on this armor, which makes it absolutely worthless since that even with a very long weapon, most people can evade my swings without any problems. Moreover, 90% of the top players wear medium armor, which tells a lot about the actual light vs heavy armor balance.

Offline Tzar

• Marshall
  • Renown: 996
  • Infamy: 564
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Byzantium
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_TzarOfRushYa
  • IRC nick: TZAR
« Reply #61 on: December 18, 2011, 01:35:19 pm »
+1
I've been trying to get rid of my heavy armor for a long time but heavy armor holds no value on the market place due to the massive penalty all rdy given to it Medium armors are the best armors ingame just look at the market...

don't think chadz is gonna bring moar nerfs to heavy armor unless they decide to remove it completely or replace the high tier ones with new and more light/medium armors.

To the OP try an use a heavy armor before whining about it.

I use mine to look unique an to avoid being another kuyak / rus armor clone but have to live with the slow ass acceleration penalty plus high upkeep...
« Last Edit: December 18, 2011, 02:22:17 pm by Tzar »
I've never played a server where people split up as much or as often as on EU1.  No wonder range is having a field day.

Offline Mala

• Earl
  • Renown: 412
  • Infamy: 61
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 18, 2011, 02:08:07 pm »
You are not slow in plate armour and the only real trade off is the upkeep.

And yes you can kill knights while wearing light armour, but you have all the disadvantages.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 18, 2011, 02:13:46 pm »
High armor doesn't affect maximum running speed

If it doesn't, then it reduces acceleration so much that it takes minutes to reach maximum speed. Try it with a high athletics character, run naked and then in black armor and a shield. You won't reach the same speed.
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline Gurnisson

• King
  • Renown: 1750
  • Infamy: 362
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
  • Game nicks: SeaRaider_Gurnisson
« Reply #64 on: December 18, 2011, 03:40:09 pm »
And yes you can kill knights while wearing light armour, but you have all the disadvantages.

All the disadvantages? Speed over survivability any day of the week.
I voted Gurnisson cause of his fucking bendy pike, I swear noone can roflcopter stab like he can.

Offline Mala

• Earl
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 18, 2011, 04:07:42 pm »
What speed?

Offline Siboire

• Knight
  • Renown: 43
  • Infamy: 20
  • cRPG Player
  • Sergentariá D'armas
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Occitan
  • Game nicks: Occitan_FullMetalJacket
« Reply #66 on: December 18, 2011, 05:28:15 pm »
Tzar, me and my clan were called so many times plate crutchers and stuff like that cuz, before must of us re-specced, we were mainly 2h tin cans. I was part of those so called "plate crutchers", I know how it is in plate. And honestly, beside the upkeep, there is no real downside with plate. The upkeep is the sole reason I left that play style. I would not mind to see more tin cans (lower upkeep) as long as they increase the speed penalty with it (or increase the str requirement) so that agi builds can't wear it and run fast...

Offline Tzar

• Marshall
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 18, 2011, 08:17:26 pm »
Tzar, me and my clan were called so many times plate crutchers and stuff like that cuz, before must of us re-specced, we were mainly 2h tin cans. I was part of those so called "plate crutchers", I know how it is in plate. And honestly, beside the upkeep, there is no real downside with plate. The upkeep is the sole reason I left that play style. I would not mind to see more tin cans (lower upkeep) as long as they increase the speed penalty with it (or increase the str requirement) so that agi builds can't wear it and run fast...

Your dumb if you really value plate armor so much... why dont we trade armor so you can get my super armor as you call it?

check the market place my offer is out lets trade then...... also u cant armor crutch anymore since the new soak value came out unless your facing ninja´s with 4 ps cut weapons who dont aim an just spam at you.  :lol:

Anyways i dont have or tried using super heavy plate armor after the new soak values but my last gen as sheidler with 5 ps an scimitar i didnt have a problem against plate users as you describe.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2011, 08:54:54 pm by Tzar »
I've never played a server where people split up as much or as often as on EU1.  No wonder range is having a field day.

Offline Siboire

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
  • Sergentariá D'armas
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 18, 2011, 10:04:30 pm »
LOL but we still got called names like "noob crutching on plates" and shit... really made us laugh for the same reasons u just described... but no thx for ur plate lol.

Offline Tzar

• Marshall
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 18, 2011, 10:32:09 pm »
LOL but we still got called names like "noob crutching on plates" and shit... really made us laugh for the same reasons u just described... but no thx for ur plate lol.

So you admit plate is crab compared to medium armors thx to the faster acceleration in which you can get in an out of peoples swings?

Basically you trade speed an maneuverability for being able to survive one more hit by using plate armor as it is in its current stat.

Medium armors provide almost the same protection after the new soak values as plate armor... medium armor is the best choice in regards of armor picks since paul reduced the chance of glancing blows.

People like me who use khergit elite armor for style and roleplay are all ready getting punished by the weight all ready placed upon us your asking for more?

Offline Siboire

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
  • Sergentariá D'armas
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 19, 2011, 02:13:35 am »
No, I had no problem using plate. The only downside was the upkeep and I wanted to trade my heirloomed plate for a weapon. A shield (like huscarl) affects more ur running speed then plate armor -_- ...

Offline Tydeus

• King
  • Renown: 1422
  • Infamy: 351
  • Item re-unbalance guy
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Tydeus
  • IRC nick: Tydeus
« Reply #71 on: December 19, 2011, 06:51:35 pm »
+2
Most of NA and from what I've seen from EU, consists of heavy armor or at least, what used to be 40+ armor until the recent patch that nerfed it below 40(Heraldic Mail). Throw in gloves and looms and that means those people are 50+armor. Which isn't anything like what I'd call "medium" armor.

Furthermore, the soak factor was nerfed but the reduce was buffed. Have you not realized that you take twice as many hits compared to before the change? Plate allows you to live a hell of a lot longer, especially if you have the IF to go with it. I've had a fully loomed plate set and used it for more than just a couple gens, I know exactly what it does. You have to spend time adjusting to the speed difference but once you do, living through a minimum of twice as many swings as someone in a cavalry robe, is a pretty big advantage.

Speed may be great, but it doesn't allow you to get free hits in. Speed gets negated quite a bit by backpedaling and a simple mouse turn. You're not going to be able to get behind someone just because you're faster than them, if they're used to their own speed and are moderately skilled. Speed comes into play in two places, wpf and playing the range game, that is, dodging your opponents swing and following up with your own, before your opponent has recovered from his swing.

Due to WM and WPF mechanics, any gains from having light armor are generally extremely minimal. There are only a few cases where you can have a fast enough weapon to utilize the additional wpf that you have, without glancing constantly on your plated opponent due to low damage.

Dodging swings and then quickly counter attacking a slow player is only effective as long as your opponent has either ran out of patience, or didn't have any to begin with. Knowing your weapon's length and not getting drawn into the attack/block/attack/block rhythm is a valuable skill for plate wearers. Sometimes you have to know when to block two or three times in a row to catch up to your opponent, and simply knowing this gives you the tools you need to negate their speed advantage.

Simply put, speed does not necessarily mean free hits but plate does necessarily require you getting hit more times to be killed than if you had medium armor. What this means, is that the speed advantage comes about mostly due to a lack of skill from your opponent(the plated guy), meanwhile the plate/armor advantage applies to everyone in all situations, regardless of skill.

edit: consists of heavy armor, not medium, specifically 40-50 body armor base.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 07:03:52 pm by Tydeus »
chadz> i wouldnt mind seeing some penis on my character

Offline Dezilagel

• Marshall
  • Renown: 722
  • Infamy: 209
  • cRPG Player
  • (X) probably goes well with Nutella
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Guards, Guards!
  • Game nicks: Dezi_the_Bagel
  • IRC nick: Dezilagel
« Reply #72 on: December 19, 2011, 07:16:08 pm »
What speed?

Acceleration.

Duelling - ever tried it?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Quote from: Rumblood
You fuck, or you get fucked.
Valour Multghulis - All Krems Must Die

Offline Gisbert_of_Thuringia

• Count
  • Renown: 169
  • Infamy: 136
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild
  • Game nicks: Guard_Gisbert_of_Thuringia, Guard_Bernulf_of_Thuringia, Guard_Ranulf_of_Thuringia etc...
« Reply #73 on: December 19, 2011, 11:26:45 pm »
Totally agree. It is ridiculous that a guy with heavy armour and a heavy 2h weapon outruns me when I only use a 1h sword, a round shield and tribal warrior outfit  :rolleyes:

Offline Mala

• Earl
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 20, 2011, 03:30:42 am »
Acceleration.

Duelling - ever tried it?

running speed

If a tincan not want it, then i am not that faster.