Author Topic: Why has no clan choose to do fire by rank with crossbows on the battle server?  (Read 2312 times)

Offline Canary

• Marshall
  • Renown: 826
  • Infamy: 202
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CHAOS
+2
Ye olde medieval operators camp a barn.

(click to show/hide)

Offline MountedRhader

• Count
  • Renown: 222
  • Infamy: 89
  • cRPG Player
  • Farewell, I am free
    • View Profile
Probably because most maps don't have chokepoints where one could organize a crossbow firing station.

This tactic isn't efficient unless you know where you are aiming ...

Offline Braeden

• Earl
  • Renown: 420
  • Infamy: 53
  • I hear the sound of drums
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Acre?
  • Game nicks: Braeden_Sanguine
  • IRC nick: Braeden
Back on the ATS community server with its city maps full of narrow hallways and streets we occasionally got a firing squad together with 4-6 crossbows.  It worked wonders until someone showed up with a good shield.

Offline Taser

• King
  • Renown: 1447
  • Infamy: 82
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook
    • View Profile
  • Faction: TKoV
  • Game nicks: Alfred_Taser_of_TKoV
Ye olde medieval operators camp a barn.

(click to show/hide)

Operators gonna operate.

But a crossbow line could work with shielders to protect their front when they need to reload. Its always fun to see teamwork, regardless of how well it works in game.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Huey Newton

• Duke
  • Renown: 555
  • Infamy: 99
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Huey_Newton
in an open field most line-up formations (either by ranged or infantry) get smoked by heavy cav and archers

Sad reality

Offline okiN

• Marshall
  • Renown: 924
  • Infamy: 129
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
I am fairly new to this mod and I have been wondering that what with Arbalest crossbows able to deal 81 pierce damage why no clan has choose to decimate the battle server by all getting together and doing fire by rank against all these heavily armed people?

I realise that alot of the tactical gameplay takes place on strategus and perhaps this 'fire by rank' is done on strategus but I think it would be just epic to see all these people who may be skilled when it comes to using a sword or have lots of money to get the best equipment just get mowed down by a continuous barrage of crossbow bolts  :D

I take it you mean volley fire, since fire by rank really isn't actually possible in Warband.

Anyway, our Nordmen squad actually ran into a large group of players (mostly members of the Mercenaries clan) doing crossbow lines on EU1 about a week ago. This was quite fun for us, because we had a permanent x5 winning streak until they got tired of losing and stopped doing it. I understand it was very frustrating for the people stuck on their team.

So to answer your question: like the others already said, it isn't done because it doesn't work. Standing still in open ground in a big line gets you shot by enemy archers skirmishing from cover and renders you extremely vulnerable to flanking, or even head-on charges due to the reload time.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2011, 10:16:58 pm by okiN »
Don't.

Offline Inkompetent

• Noble
  • Renown: 12
  • Infamy: 5
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Inkompetent, Ildov_Morekov, Fairhair_Sigurdr, MySushi_Inkomoto
I was in there with okiN, and when the Merc-guys were on the enemy team it was x5-farming, when they were on your own team it was complete misery because they were easy targets, and they skewed the weapon distribution within the team. If you had 50 guys on the team, and 12 of them are identical guys in cheap outfits with crossbows, then you lack surely at least one cavalryman, several 2h-guys, and several shielders that could be useful for the team.

The Merc-dudes usually got repeatedly violated by cavalry in all forms, since the team lacked so many useful weapons (2h swords, polearms, cav) to take them down.

Offline Paul

• Developer
  • Renown: 1879
  • Infamy: 442
  • ball bounce boss
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Urist
+1
Mercs are the new Templars?

Offline Blueberry Muffin

• Marshall
  • Renown: 749
  • Infamy: 119
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
 :D

It was about having fun, not winning. We got owned by skirmishing archers most of the time but it was so worth it for when all 15 of you suddenly lock down onto one poor sod. Strafing about did them no good, too many hunting xbow bolts raining down. You can tell that all they were thinking was oh shi- before a volley of bolts slammed into them.
Anyways, haters gonna hate.
Lizard_Man: Fuck all that! Rather buy me 4 cans of Stella..
Cymro: Wife beater stella
Lizard_Man: It'll get ya drunk! You'll be fucking fat girls in no time! You might even fight a nigga or two! Mmmm-mmm, bitch!

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Firing lines, formations etc. only work at very big scales (thousands of men). cRPG only involves a few dozen players, hundreds at best. Video games being what they are now, organizing things to avoid chaos etc. isn't optimal at all. Small scales favor skirmish type and individualistic (or rather "independant") warfare. Each warrior takes his own decisions for the better, rather than blindy following orders.

Offline okiN

• Marshall
  • Renown: 924
  • Infamy: 129
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
It was about having fun, not winning. We got owned by skirmishing archers most of the time but it was so worth it for when all 15 of you suddenly lock down onto one poor sod. Strafing about did them no good, too many hunting xbow bolts raining down. You can tell that all they were thinking was oh shi- before a volley of bolts slammed into them.
Anyways, haters gonna hate.

Yeah, that's obvious enough. It was quite fun to see and like I said we enjoyed the free x5, which we kept until most of your guys left and autobalance started splitting us up again. Unfortunately that also left me stranded on the same team with the remaining Mercs, who by that point had gone from xbow lines to some kind of caveman impersonation -- I didn't bother sticking around long after that.

That's the main problem with doing this kind of thing, really. It may be fun for you if you don't mind constantly losing, but you're really fucking over everyone who has the misfortune of being stuck with you.
Don't.

Offline B3RS3RK

• Earl
  • Renown: 377
  • Infamy: 103
  • cRPG Player
  • Sexy and I know it.
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Saracen_Berserkaziz_Amir
Firing lines, formations etc. only work at very big scales (thousands of men).

...Which was also the Reason why it was used for a long time in battles.

Its simply there because its almost impossible to organize an army of for example 50000 men(Napoleons Grande Armee was 500000)if they are loosely formated.

In Medieval times, this worked, simply because the Thing that decided the fight in many cases was the big melee.In melee, most formations broke loose anyway, so It didnt make much sense to even try(Although it was used rather effectively by some nations, Romans for example, but they weren´t medieval).

Also, at the times were Firing lines and such were used, the thing dominating the Battlefield was the Musket.Muskets weren´t too accurate, and loosely organized Armys relying on musket didnt work well because they would simply take too long.

Another reason is that the chance of People fleeing and deserting from battle is much smaller with tight line formations.You might want to read Tolstois "War and peace" for some contemporary tales.In Line battles, the presence of the other Soldiers right behind and besides you strengthens the morale, and single soldiers almost never fled.Either the whole unit flees or pretty much nobody did.
Maybe it woud be better for me to find out where you life and kill you when you are satch a Soziopath. You have enough now.
"I don´t believe in anything, I´m just here for the violence."

Offline Thucydides

• Baron
  • Renown: 129
  • Infamy: 28
  • cRPG Player
  • I shat Uranus
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Thucydides
The "fire by rank" was a counter to the mass Pike/musket formations of the 17th century.  Gustavus Adolphus pioneered its use in the 30 year war by shallowing out his line to 6 men instead of the contemporary square tercio and other formations. It allows rapid fire preventing the pikemen from committing into a devastating charge and combined with artillary and cavalry it decimated conventional formations at the time.

Doesn't work in warband for the same reason that a shield wall doesn't, pinpoint archer consistancy and the lack of a morale system means that skirmishers can fight fearlessly and the point of line battles becomes moot.