Poll

Do you *enjoy* Strategus?

Yes I do. I would like for it to be developed further
93 (37.8%)
Yes I do but I think cRPG needs some more love
59 (24%)
No I do not. I would prefer if its development was ceased to further improve cRPG
64 (26%)
No I do not but I don't want it gone
30 (12.2%)

Total Members Voted: 246

Author Topic: Strategus, the poll  (Read 7567 times)

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 2727
  • Infamy: 1944
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
Re: Strategus, the poll
« Reply #60 on: November 26, 2011, 09:04:13 pm »
+1
Edit:

Meh, won't risk getting muted cause of some noob.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2011, 09:11:05 pm by Leshma »

Offline SchokoSchaf

• Knight
  • Renown: 61
  • Infamy: 5
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Wolpertinger
  • Game nicks: Eats grass
  • IRC nick: Schoko
« Reply #61 on: November 26, 2011, 10:27:16 pm »
I agree with Kamikaze Joe, NERF CAV.
määääääääääh!

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 27, 2011, 01:26:33 am »
+2
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

No room for a good melee weapon.

(...)

the "Mace" -- it's a 1-slot two-hander with knockdown and terrific damage for being a one-slotter.  The irony is the highest scoring archers get a number of their kills by being able to finish people off with melee.

You are contradicting yourself.

b) 70+ body armor.  Long weapon good at killing infantry and cavalry alike.

70+ body armor ? Fat rich turtle ? Furthermore, I wonder what a bow is if you consider melee weapons as "long".

If they don't have a building to stand on, they will invariably get mowed down by cavalry.

Ho you mean those archers. I can point out those inf that can't block and don't get any kills. Or those cavs that charge an archer and die with one arrow in the chest. Guess what, that's not exactly what we are talking about.

Standard melee: kill a dude, kill another dude, kill two more dudes, kill another dude, down a horse, kill the rider, get shot by an arrow, declare archery is op.

Mmh...

I think this video might help you. It is very unlikely for a melee to kill anything else than infantry and the occasionnal cav. Therefore how can the "standard melee" kill more than one enemy ? At the end of a battle, the loosing team has 0 survivors, not minus 50.

Offline Froto_the_Loc

• Count
  • Renown: 252
  • Infamy: 94
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
  • CRaPGame
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Locia
  • Game nicks: Froto_the_loc
« Reply #63 on: November 27, 2011, 02:45:57 am »
My polls are borked. cRPG needs love, like the last born ginger child. Strategus was the first born favorite it seems. I may be biased though.
Hooray for customization and hybridization!
Down with monotonous pure classes!

Offline Slamz

• Earl
  • Renown: 386
  • Infamy: 112
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Norse Horde
  • Game nicks: NH_Slamz
« Reply #64 on: November 27, 2011, 03:43:41 am »
You are contradicting yourself.

Not at all.  Do you consider the "Mace" to be a "good melee weapon"?  Do you see top ranking two-handers running around with that as their primary?

No.

It's good relative to other archer options, though.  They could use a 1-hander but there's no point since they won't have room for a shield.  The only 1-slot polearms are the staffs which do way less damage.  The Mace is good as 1-slot weapons go but I wouldn't compare it to a Nodachi or Greatsword.  It's not that good relative to what full time melees are carrying.  Still, it would hurt them if you nerfed it because it's their best weapon option.

So as I was saying, the irony is that the high KDR archers tend to be experts at melee.  They can shoot you with arrows and then they have enough skill at melee and parrying that they can beat most people with what a sub-standard two-hander.  Or to put it another way, their bow gets them some kills but it's their melee skills that separate them from the average archers.  (Incidentally, this is another reason I like killing archers with throwing weapons.  No matter how pro they are with the Mace, they are still wearing light armor.  A couple throwing axes hurts them a heck of a lot more than a 70 body armor two-handed melee whore.)

There are a few archers who I am sure would have a better KDR if they would just drop the bow, armor up and get a better weapon.  I assume they simply enjoy shooting more than melee even though melee would clearly be getting them more kills.

70+ body armor ? Fat rich turtle ?

Not that hard if your equipment is triple loomed.  Heck, triple loomed Lamellar and triple loomed Mail Gauntlets = 68 body armor!  That's not even plate.

I think this video might help you. It is very unlikely for a melee to kill anything else than infantry and the occasionnal cav. Therefore how can the "standard melee" kill more than one enemy ? At the end of a battle, the loosing team has 0 survivors, not minus 50.

Not sure what you're getting at here.  If cRPG was perfectly realistic, we would probably meet on a battlefield, have a reasonably decisive fight and then the surviving 90% of the losing team would run away.  (Just as a random selection, the Battle of Harlaw was thousands vs thousands with around 10-15% of the total participants ending up dead and that was considered to be a particularly bloody battle.)

I mean really I think an argument could be made that cRPG weapons are too strong and armor too weak just in general but I'm not clear if that was the point you were trying to make.  What was your point, anyway?

My point was that in cRPG, the game, which bears only a passing resemblance to reality, melee still owns the scene.  I would say I see an archer in the #1 spot maybe 1 round in 10 and that's if there's no good cav or melee ringers online, and usually only on particularly archer-friendly maps.

A better argument for your side might be that it's easier to "triple loom" an archer.  You only need 6 heirloom points, really.  9 if you want an heirloomed mace to go with it.  Hierlooming your archer armor wouldn't add that much.  Whereas I think we'd find the famous melees have 15+ heirloom points invested to do what they do.  But in the end, they are still better than the archers, and get better KDRs on average.

Seems balanced to me.  Better than before, anyway.  Previously, archery was just a joke, as I'm sure you know perfectly well.
Crush your enemies; see them driven before you; hear the lamentations of their women.
Norse Horde

Offline Jarlek

• King
  • Renown: 1173
  • Infamy: 307
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The walking wiki
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarlek_The_Blue, Jarla, Jarlen, Jarler, Jarlec, Jarled OH GOD ALL THESE ALTS
  • IRC nick: Jarlek
« Reply #65 on: November 27, 2011, 01:29:31 pm »
(click to show/hide)
*Facepalm*
This game isn't about being skillful as much as its about saying things in general chat that enrage people who then go to murder you but in their rage they make dumb mistakes which gets them killed.
In memory of Jarlek_zeh_Blue, ruler of Ilvia

Offline Paul

• Developer
  • Renown: 1879
  • Infamy: 442
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • ball bounce boss
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Urist
« Reply #66 on: November 27, 2011, 01:41:43 pm »
+2
What is wrong with Slamz' text, Zapper?

I have recently checked the k/d of end level players who decided to skip retiring (level 31+). Of the main classes those archers have to worst k/d apart from throwers. So unless they manage only to hurt and never to kill their targets, which would kinda contradict the "OMG, archers 2 shot me in plate" statement, they aren't that effective.

Most likely roof laddering will be resolved and Strategus will get a solution too. To be honest I only see self-energising hysteria and no real problem, while the anti-range ringleader are also the most special forum members.

Still don't understand who let Tzar in 22nd. Ok, we got Rokema but there ought to be a lower bound somewhere.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 01:51:33 pm by Paul »

Offline cmp

• M:BG Developer
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 2052
  • Infamy: 569
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: cmp
« Reply #67 on: November 27, 2011, 01:56:21 pm »
Comparing archers and melee using KD ratio, for example. Assuming the same amount of damage dealt, a melee guy will have a higher KD ratio because his damage is concentrated on a few enemies, while the archer's damage is more distributed.

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 27, 2011, 02:07:54 pm »
+1

I have recently checked the k/d of end level players who decided to skip retiring (level 31+). Of the main classes those archers have to worst k/d apart from throwers. So unless they manage only to hurt and never to kill their targets, which would kinda contradict the "OMG, archers 2 shot me in plate" statement, they aren't that effective.

Most likely roof laddering will be resolved and Strategus will get a solution too. To be honest I only see self-energising hysteria and no real problem, while the anti-range ringleader are also the most special forum members.

Still don't understand who let Tzar in 22nd. Ok, we got Rokema but there ought to be a lower bound somewhere.
The point is that archer is a very popular class, so unless you make them shit, a large percentage of the population will be archer, for reasons I just can't understand. One archer is not overpowered, but when 40% of the server is archer it becomes a problem.

Which isn't the case currently, and I have rarely seen one team win because they had more archers. Archers are quite underpowered I dare to say in sheer damage dealing. The thing is, they are just fucking annoying. But as soon as the roofcamping gets fixed, I for one am fine with archers. As long as I can reach them without having to move in a straight line towards them, or even worse, jump over a ledge, I'm fine with them.

Archery has to be underpowered, otherwise their numbers will grow to a gamebreaking amount. Leave archery to the devoted and skilled.

Although this thread isn't supposed to be about archery I would like to bring up another point.

I think the hybrid nerf/slot system was a bad thing in the case of archers. Every archer I encounter now runs away, you close in on an archer with great effort, he starts running. Give them a slot more so they can have a proper melee weapon or make them slow. This running away is tiresome and dull. I rather have a good fight than a minute long chase.

Worst thing is, that as soon as you give up the chase, he will turn around and start shooting you in the arse.

Offline Jarlek

• King
  • The walking wiki
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarlek_The_Blue, Jarla, Jarlen, Jarler, Jarlec, Jarled OH GOD ALL THESE ALTS
« Reply #69 on: November 27, 2011, 02:18:28 pm »
+1
Sigh, I don't have time for this, but nevermind.

Ok, first of all he comes with bullshit arguments. Let's start with the answer to "you are contradicting yourself"

The mace is a good weapon. Fact. You say there are dedicated 2handers who doesn't use it? Actually, there are. Many of them. They don't use it all the time, but I have seen many of them use the mace and the mace only. Besides, just because many people don't use it all the time as their main weapon, doesn't mean it's not a GOOD weapon! Take for example the Heavy Bastard Sword. A pretty good weapon. It's long enough, does decent damage and is faster than most 1handers (LOLWUT, I just saw the speed rating of that thing!). So we can all agree it's a good weapon. So why aren't everyone and their grandma using it? Because there is a slightly better, but more expensive, version of it. The Longswords. Almost exactly the same, but slightly longer. Still, most people use that one instead. Same goes for the Military Scythe and the Glaive. If you can choose between them, choose the Glaive. But the Military Scythe is STILL a good weapon. Saying otherwise just shows you're an idiot.
With the mace, it's almost the same, and the slightly better and more expensive version, is the Long Iron Mace. It's a bit slower, but longer and slightly more damaging.

Regardless. The Mace is a good weapon, even if everyone doesn't use it as their main (which there even are some people who do), and it can more than stand it's own in a melee fight.

In addition: even IF you have a "worse" melee weapon, you also gain the mind blowing advantage of fighting a guy that is already damaged. You can easily put an arrow or two in him, which these days is usually half their health, and then fight him in melee with your "inferior" 2h mace. If I had the choice between fighting a guy with full health and a Greatsword while I had a Greatsword, or fighting a guy with half health and a Greatsword while I had a mace. I'd take option 2 every single time. ESPECIALLY when during any time in that fight, a friendly archer can put an arrow into them while we are fighting. Fuck, I'd gladly fight TWO enemies with greatswords, one at half health and me with a 2h mace, if I had an allied archer standing nearby shooting at them.

"Not that hard if your equipment is triple heirloomed"
Ok, let's just ignore the fact that you should NEVER balance around heirlooms and the fact that everyone doesn't have heirlooms.
NO. People do NOT run around with 70+ armour. And those that do, usually spend a lot of money doing that. Compared that to the "expensive" archers (bitch, even with the increased ammo repairs, archers are still the 2nd cheapest class to play) that still aren't close to most other classes with upkeep while still being just as dangerous.

And last but not least, the reply that made me facepalm. The answer to the video. I am gonna quote what Slamz said in the beginning:
Standard melee: kill a dude, kill another dude, kill two more dudes, kill another dude, down a horse, kill the rider, get shot by an arrow, declare archery is op.
Sigh. What that video was about was the ridiculousness of those imagined "warrior societies" were everyone had killed lots of others to prove themselves! This is ridiculous for all the reasons shown in that video. Go watch it, it's really good.

And here's what Kafein was trying to convey and which shows just how stupid Slamz is:
He says that a "standard" (that means, the average or normal) melee, kills one guy (in melee), then another guy (in melee), then two more guys (still in melee), then one more (you know.... melee), then kills a horse (with his melee weapon), then the rider (with, guess what?, his melee weapon!) and the gets shot by an archer, thinking archery is "OP".

Let's do the counting. That's six (6!) guys, in any normal fight, and that EVERY SINGLE MELEE FIGHTER DOES THAT IN THE SAME FIGHT! If you don't get how that is fucking retarded the you should go and cry yourself to sleep. Every melee guy can't kill 6 enemies, because there aren't enough people on both teams! YES, one guy could do that. But those guys he killed? Did THEY also kill 6 enemies each? I'm sorry, but for this to work there would have to be a 1-6 ratio of melee to other, and EVERY SINGLE MELEE GUY would have to kill those 6 others. This is NOT how it is on the servers and saying this is just retarded. Look, there simply IS NOT enough people for this to happen! Or as Kafein said,
At the end of a battle, the loosing team has 0 survivors, not minus 50.
And no, Slamz wasn't just "exaggerating" or something. Because then he would have recognised what Kafein said and come up with a proper reply instead of quoting some historical battle and the numbers from it, which are completely irrelevant.
This game isn't about being skillful as much as its about saying things in general chat that enrage people who then go to murder you but in their rage they make dumb mistakes which gets them killed.

Offline Paul

• Developer
  • ball bounce boss
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 27, 2011, 02:20:09 pm »
+1
Well, my approach on unarmed archers is to only allow ammunition in the 3rd and 4th slot, like in Vikingr I believe. That way there is no real reason not to bring a melee weapon for an archer and it keeps ammo count down a bit. It will have a psychological impact wether an archers decides to turn and run or not if he has a weapon to defend with. At least for me it would. Even if I can't really hurt an attacker as archer with my melee weapon, I can at least block him until help arrives.

Anyway, my idea was scolded for reducing build variety, which I think is bullshit. Realismwise any ranged unit had a fall back melee weapon and wouldn't leave it at home so he could carry a bit more ammo.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 02:21:54 pm by Paul »

Offline MaHuD

• Knight
  • Renown: 32
  • Infamy: 13
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguard
  • Game nicks: MaHuD, Darth_InVader, Hired_Blade, Hinzerhaus
  • IRC nick: MaHuD
« Reply #71 on: November 27, 2011, 02:20:55 pm »
I am an archer, and I believe that the top archers (Masterwork Rus Bow + epic arrows), is dealing way too much damage.
 (I think this was done against these annoying Plated Chargers - serfonz -, but why not increase damage to just the plated stuff? Instead of everyone)

Archer is a support class, or should be. Stunning that enemy so that your friend can finish him off, or shoot the guy in his head to kill him.
Not hit someone in his little-toe and (nearly) instant kill him.  :lol:

Also, what might be interesting to try is to increase the slow-down while an arch3r draws his bow

Offline Paul

• Developer
  • ball bounce boss
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 27, 2011, 02:22:59 pm »
Well, bodkins get -1 dam along with a slight price reduce. Maybe ranged looms get it too.

Offline Jarlek

• King
  • The walking wiki
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 27, 2011, 02:23:41 pm »
The point is that archer is a very popular class, so unless you make them shit, a large percentage of the population will be archer, for reasons I just can't understand. One archer is not overpowered, but when 40% of the server is archer it becomes a problem.

Which isn't the case currently, and I have rarely seen one team win because they had more archers. Archers are quite underpowered I dare to say in sheer damage dealing. The thing is, they are just fucking annoying. But as soon as the roofcamping gets fixed, I for one am fine with archers. As long as I can reach them without having to move in a straight line towards them, or even worse, jump over a ledge, I'm fine with them.

Archery has to be underpowered, otherwise their numbers will grow to a gamebreaking amount. Leave archery to the devoted and skilled.

Although this thread isn't supposed to be about archery I would like to bring up another point.

I think the hybrid nerf/slot system was a bad thing in the case of archers. Every archer I encounter now runs away, you close in on an archer with great effort, he starts running. Give them a slot more so they can have a proper melee weapon or make them slow. This running away is tiresome and dull. I rather have a good fight than a minute long chase.

Worst thing is, that as soon as you give up the chase, he will turn around and start shooting you in the arse.
Fuck it. Double post to separate my discussions!

As I proposed. Make bows really, REALLY heavy so that they CAN run away to get help from their friends (which they claim to be the reason they are kiting), but they have to drop the bow so they can't run-turn-shoot-run-turn-shoot (which is what they ACTUALLY do). Also, shield REALLY need a buff. They are just ridiculously self nerfing to use. Only time they work is when you look directly at an enemy and there's only one of them.

I can understand that a pure 2hander/polearmer should have it easier in melee combat, but PLEASE buff shields against ranged so that we can actually DO shit against them! Let the non-shielders be bothered by ranged and the shielders laugh them off. As it should be! Drop the shield weight so we can catch archers, increase the forcefield so we don't get random weird-ass shots (and hits) that goes around the shield, and PLEASE make it so people can't warp through a shield/shieldwall!

Offline Paul

• Developer
  • ball bounce boss
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 27, 2011, 02:28:33 pm »
Let me guess, you got a shielder main?