Author Topic: Retreat troop conversion way too high  (Read 2143 times)

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: Retreat troop conversion way too high
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2011, 11:04:41 am »
If you were taken prisoner in a fight you start fighting for the enemy? How is that realistic?  :rolleyes:

In time, you can join the army and/or face death. Just as you can recruit soldiers from prisoners in native Warband? Why would this not be realistic?

Offline dodnet

• Duke
  • Renown: 595
  • Infamy: 149
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Wolpertinger
  • Game nicks: DoD, DoD_Wolper
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2011, 11:17:16 am »
I wouldn't want to fight in an army, which consists of former enemies in large parts. At least as long as I don't have eyes in the back  :mrgreen:
The logic of war seems to be that if a belligerent can fight he will fight.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2011, 11:18:15 am »
I wouldn't want to fight in an army, which consists of former enemies in large parts. At least as long as I don't have eyes in the back  :mrgreen:

Rot in the dungeons or fight, your choice.

Offline Matey

• King
  • Renown: 1327
  • Infamy: 372
  • cRPG Player
  • A Pirate
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Matey_BRD
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2011, 11:25:44 am »
+1
actually capturing soldiers was super common in many areas. Look at Romance of the Three Kingdom era china. Also look at Japanese warfare... the average soldier was basically a conscript... they didnt give 2 shits who they fought for most of the time... it was be a soldier or be dead. Of course soldiers who did believe in the cause of their leader/nation/whatever were generally a lot more motivated, useful, and less likely to run away at the first sign of combat :D

Offline dodnet

• Duke
  • Renown: 595
  • Infamy: 149
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Wolpertinger
  • Game nicks: DoD, DoD_Wolper
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2011, 11:26:36 am »
Well at least now we have an excuse for teamhits and teamkills in strat. That ticket was a turncoat who was seeking for revenge  :mrgreen:
The logic of war seems to be that if a belligerent can fight he will fight.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Gheritarish le Loki

• Baron
  • Renown: 80
  • Infamy: 42
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2011, 12:55:28 pm »
actually capturing soldiers was super common in many areas. Look at Romance of the Three Kingdom era china. Also look at Japanese warfare... the average soldier was basically a conscript... they didnt give 2 shits who they fought for most of the time... it was be a soldier or be dead. Of course soldiers who did believe in the cause of their leader/nation/whatever were generally a lot more motivated, useful, and less likely to run away at the first sign of combat :D

Just like for most of the Pirates, they didn't choose to be embarked on a boat!

Offline Bramd

• Noble
  • Renown: 14
  • Infamy: 9
  • cRPG Player
  • Mess with the Corns, you get the horns...
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2011, 01:00:39 am »

The Romans did something similar as the empire expanded...  By the height of the Roman Empire the army was almost entirely foreigners from the lands they had conquered.

Offline Aseldo

• Baron
  • Renown: 147
  • Infamy: 80
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • you reading this?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: TKoV
  • Game nicks: Egad_Captain_TKoV
  • IRC nick: Egad
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2011, 08:49:02 am »
Having the forced auto-retreat cost you any tickets is a bad idea in my opinion. I say if auto retreat is forced, you should keep everything you have left. And then if you want, attack again with that force. It's only voluntary retreats that should cost you tickets and equipment.

This is a bad idea because attackers might just chill knowing they won't lose anything to auto-retreat, there has to be an incentive to make attackers actually attacking.

Offline Dehitay

• Baron
  • Renown: 121
  • Infamy: 48
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2011, 06:22:11 pm »
This is a bad idea because attackers might just chill knowing they won't lose anything to auto-retreat, there has to be an incentive to make attackers actually attacking.
I believe the troop attrition cost is still in effect. If attackers go too long without getting a kill, they lose a certain amount of tickets every minute. However, I can't verify this is actually still in effect because every battle I've seen to date, they attackers never wait that long. It will be more obvious when castle seiges pop up. That's where you really see the delay in attacking