Poll

Should the Katana's stab be removed?

Yes, and here's why:
24 (42.9%)
No, and here's why:
32 (57.1%)

Total Members Voted: 56

Voting closed: November 11, 2011, 02:20:56 pm

Author Topic: [Mechanic] Katana Stab  (Read 3837 times)

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: [Mechanic] Katana Stab
« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2011, 04:29:45 am »
+1
Some? You asked, I listed many 1 handers which out reach it. Then there was the bit about total + to reach, which in theory, means a Katana should outreach a spear or something

Still not seeing what the magic + to thrust is, perhaps I missed it in all that graphical analysis and witty reparté.

When you say no matter how you look at it, that actually looks mentally deficient when you later say 'except' and mention the inconvienient bit that doesn't play along with your statement. You imply the katana user should logically get the first wack in due to range, except in the unfortunate circumstances when the opposing one hander is so foolish as to use the shitty one attack with the greater reach: I know, you are going to tell me it's only a one in four chance of that happening - seems simple enough.

None of those 1h outreach Katana. As to outreaching a spear... I think you should stay away from theorizing.

The + to thrust is +80.

Sigh, no -- katana has the longest reach attack, the thrust. It doesn't matter what the 1hander does.
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline Zisa

• Count
  • Renown: 272
  • Infamy: 124
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: I am not at liberty to say.
« Reply #31 on: October 29, 2011, 04:50:42 am »
Well that + 45 has got to be good for something.

Really.. +80?
What's the 1 hander thrust then?
Alas nodachi
remembers glorious spring
a tin can's hatchet.
http://www.moddb.com/members/psychotropicdog

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 29, 2011, 04:56:59 am »
+62
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.

Offline Gurnisson

• King
  • Renown: 1750
  • Infamy: 362
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
  • Game nicks: SeaRaider_Gurnisson
« Reply #33 on: October 29, 2011, 12:26:05 pm »
Not really. Only a fool would go for the rider and the horses head is about 55-60 reach methinks. Maybe more. And only the strongest (or very slow moving) horse manages to survive a greatsword stab.

You never mentioned the horse, you said that it was longer than the heavy lance, and I just stated that it isn't.  Heavy lance + shield is ~ 30 longer than greatsword stabs. 8-) I know that you will hit the horse's head before he can stab you, if you time it right. However, if the cav turns at the right moment, he will kill you instead of you taking down the horse.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2011, 12:27:07 pm by Gurnisson »
I voted Gurnisson cause of his fucking bendy pike, I swear noone can roflcopter stab like he can.

Offline Jarlek

• King
  • Renown: 1173
  • Infamy: 307
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The walking wiki
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarlek_The_Blue, Jarla, Jarlen, Jarler, Jarlec, Jarled OH GOD ALL THESE ALTS
  • IRC nick: Jarlek
« Reply #34 on: October 29, 2011, 04:23:36 pm »
You never mentioned the horse, you said that it was longer than the heavy lance, and I just stated that it isn't.  Heavy lance + shield is ~ 30 longer than greatsword stabs. 8-) I know that you will hit the horse's head before he can stab you, if you time it right. However, if the cav turns at the right moment, he will kill you instead of you taking down the horse.
Also forgot to mention that there are two polarm stabs. With and without shield. The one with the shield is actually pretty good. Think it was +50 or something? And really, the turning away works, but mainly against stupid 2h. Most will know what to do and manage to outreach them, even when they are turning, or just sidestep and stab from the side because of the limited lance angle. But that really was besides my point. A sword really shouldn't be able to be an effective anti-lance weapon, but they currently are. It's more safer and easier to fight a guy with a SPEAR than a SWORD as a lancer. That's just WTF in my eyes.
This game isn't about being skillful as much as its about saying things in general chat that enrage people who then go to murder you but in their rage they make dumb mistakes which gets them killed.
In memory of Jarlek_zeh_Blue, ruler of Ilvia

Offline Zisa

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 29, 2011, 06:08:43 pm »
What is this, cross pollination?
Alas nodachi
a tin can's hatchet.

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 30, 2011, 04:24:46 pm »
+1
None of those 1h outreach Katana. As to outreaching a spear... I think you should stay away from theorizing.

The + to thrust is +80.

Sigh, no -- katana has the longest reach attack, the thrust. It doesn't matter what the 1hander does.
The longest reach attack? You can barely call the katana stab an attack, 16p will glance 80% of the time.

The katana shouldn't have its swing buffed from 35c to 37c. It should have get its stab buffed to 19p/20p. It was 35c and 18p before, I would still love to have a conversation about that with the guy who thought it was necesarry to nerf the katana back then to a 16p thrust.

Also on the subject of ghost reach, all curved weapons have ghost reach. I think the actual length of the curved model is somehow the actual range cause they hit from miles away. I have experienced the following weapons as having ghost reach on several occasions: scimitars, katana, miaodao, highland claymore and the barmace. The first three are curved, the latter two are just borked. Pretty sure they have it though.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 30, 2011, 06:05:36 pm »
It won't glance if you use it properly from the maximum distance. I'm sorry, but you being "pretty sure" about the ghost reach isn't very convincing when you're sure that the Danish is strangely slow compared to the German... I think you're seeing ghost problems where there are none. Geddit? Ghost problems. Heh. Heheh.
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.

Offline Siiem

• Heretic
  • Duke
  • Renown: 611
  • Infamy: 129
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile

Offline BreakIn

• Peasant
  • Renown: 2
  • Infamy: 4
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 30, 2011, 07:13:11 pm »
Katana stab is the most worse thing that i ever seen. I haven't seen anyone that stabbed with katana, only good players can pwn with this xD
I think that it shall be removed, when u fight with katana and u will accidentally make stab, you will lose cause you will bounce off enemy armor...
So - my vote is - yes, it shall be removed.

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 1529
  • Infamy: 609
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 30, 2011, 07:18:33 pm »
Katana stab is the most worse thing that i ever seen. I haven't seen anyone that stabbed with katana, only good players can pwn with this xD
I think that it shall be removed, when u fight with katana and u will accidentally make stab, you will lose cause you will bounce off enemy armor...

You bounce then you block...

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 30, 2011, 07:24:02 pm »
It won't glance if you use it properly from the maximum distance. I'm sorry, but you being "pretty sure" about the ghost reach isn't very convincing when you're sure that the Danish is strangely slow compared to the German... I think you're seeing ghost problems where there are none. Geddit? Ghost problems. Heh. Heheh.
Although I am in favour of rationalism I just call em as I see em. I never said I was sure that the Danish is slower than the German. I haven't even said that I am pretty sure about the ghost reach. I have just experienced ghost reach with those weapons multiple times. Wasn't the general consensus when the barmace still had crushthrough and everyone used it, that it had ghost reach? That the barmace is less used doesn't mean the ghost reach is gone.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 30, 2011, 09:07:29 pm »
General consensus in the 15th censury was that Earth is the middle of the universe. And remember all those "omg archery OP with new bodkins" threads when it didn't even work yet? Or those "new hitboxes" threads? Or the "polearms no longer rear hawrses!" threads? General consensus means nothing, and I never heard anything about barmace ghostreach.
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.

Offline Ninja_Khorin

• King
  • Renown: 1067
  • Infamy: 90
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Zen
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Clan Ninja
  • Game nicks: Khorin/Keyoke/Lujan
  • IRC nick: Khorin
« Reply #43 on: October 30, 2011, 09:13:59 pm »
I'm fine with the stab. You can catch a few low armoured people off guard with it, and if you don't want to stab then don't stab.

Offline Zisa

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 30, 2011, 10:21:15 pm »
+1
I vote you just do not use it. Find something more suitable, perhaps a cleaver.
Alas nodachi
a tin can's hatchet.